Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

TCS switch/light

Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 AM

TCS switch/light

Hi,

I recently acquired a 2001 i30t. From what I understand, it does have traction control. On the other hand, hitting the TCS off switch seems to have no effect. All snow is gone now so I can't really test it until next december but hitting the switch does not turn on the the TCS off light like it does on my uncle's 2002 i35. The light also does not come on when key is on "accessory". I'm not sure if it's just a fuse/light/etc or am I looking at something more serious here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM

Could be a bad bulb. here's how to test if the system is working.

Find a nice open road or track. Try to do a burnout in the car's current condition. Note the amount of wheelspin you felt. Do another one after pushing the button for TCS.

If you have the same amount of wheelspin, your TCS is not working.

If you have more wheelspin the first time, and less the 2nd, your TCS is working, and you are normally driving around with it OFF.

If you have more wheelspin the 2nd time, your TCS is working and you are normally driving around with it ON.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 PM

Have not forgotten your reply!

The i30 had its first winter with me. (on a slightly related note, it also had its first slip and crash!)
What I found out to my great disarray is that the the traction control does NOT work. I'm not 100% sure but my ABS might not be working either, since my brakes locked up as I skid on the ice.

Not only that, upon driving another i30, I noticed that when turning the key, that the TCS, the SLIP and the ABS lights are supposed to be on but weren't on my i30

Which brings me to two questions: 1) what the hell is happening? Is it the ABS system that is gone? If so, I'm reading reports of all three lights ON, not OFF as is my case.
2)I have a spare i30 for parts: how would I go about fixing this? Is it sensors that I can simply transfer? Epic confusion!

Help is much appreciated as always.

Cheers,
thebaker

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Could be a bad bulb. here's how to test if the system is working.

Find a nice open road or track. Try to do a burnout in the car's current condition. Note the amount of wheelspin you felt. Do another one after pushing the button for TCS.

If you have the same amount of wheelspin, your TCS is not working.

If you have more wheelspin the first time, and less the 2nd, your TCS is working, and you are normally driving around with it OFF.

If you have more wheelspin the 2nd time, your TCS is working and you are normally driving around with it ON.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 AM

The lights in the instrument cluster should go on when the ignition key id first turned to the ON position. This is a bulb check built into the car. Too many times a person will remove the light bulbs when they sell a car rather then fix the problem.

Does the SES light (check engine) come on? Here in the US we can go to an auto parts store and get the codes read for free. I would suggest that you get the codes read, even if the SES light works.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The lights in the instrument cluster should go on when the ignition key id first turned to the ON position. This is a bulb check built into the car. Too many times a person will remove the light bulbs when they sell a car rather then fix the problem.

Does the SES light (check engine) come on? Here in the US we can go to an auto parts store and get the codes read for free. I would suggest that you get the codes read, even if the SES light works.
Hmmm, fair point. I wasn't the first owner so I will get it checked out. Maybe the guy did get rid of the bulb.

My check engine isn't on. Either way, I have an OBD II code reader at home.
No codes come on other than the O2 every few months. Then I clear it

So yeah, I'll check if the guy actually disabled the lights. If so, will the parts off my farm 2000 i30t be useful to fix it?

Thanks for the help,
cheers
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 AM

Most of the parts should be interchangeable. There's always a few things that change each year but most of the major parts are the same. For example, the transmission changed with the 3.5 engine, but it can be installed to the 3.0 engine with minor modifications.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Most of the parts should be interchangeable. There's always a few things that change each year but most of the major parts are the same. For example, the transmission changed with the 3.5 engine, but it can be installed to the 3.0 engine with minor modifications.
Mechanic told me switching ABS sensors is a PITA. He also said that we'd have to remove the dash to check if the previous owner had removed the lights. How true is this?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM

if they don't come on during the self-test, then he's completely accurate. They could either be burned out or removed.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM

if they don't come on during the self-test, then he's completely accurate. They could either be burned out or removed.
Assuming either/or, is there any way to fix the problem without the lights or the lights are necessary to get a diagnostic (I read you can get them to blink out the trouble code)?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM

well, you can have your ABS codes scanned by a shop that specializes in that stuff down here (not your typical obd2 scan, unfortunately ) and that's about it.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM

well, you can have your ABS codes scanned by a shop that specializes in that stuff down here (not your typical obd2 scan, unfortunately ) and that's about it.
Do auto parts store have the special scanner? The stealership (please don't send me there! ) ?

I only have an OBD II scanner
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by thebaker
Mechanic told me switching ABS sensors is a PITA. He also said that we'd have to remove the dash to check if the previous owner had removed the lights. How true is this?
The ABS sensors on the wheels can be a pita because they corrode on. So it could be a real challenge to remove one without breaking it off.

To check light bulbs in the cluster does not require you to remove the dash. You do have to remove the instrument cluster, but not the dash. In a way, your mechanic's comment is kinda funny because If you wanted to take the dash out, one of the things you need to remove in order to get the dash out is the instrument cluster.

There is a self diagnostic you can run on the ABS which causes the ABS light in the dash to blink out a trouble code. But this brings us back to the light bulb issue. Anyway, click on the link below. This is the brakes section of the Infiniti service manual. Go to page 48 and the self diagnostic procedure starts there. Read it a time or two so you understand it before you jump in.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/I30/2001/BR.pdf