Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2000 I30 Holding 1st Gear on WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:10 PM

2000 I30 Holding 1st Gear on WOT

So I'm finally able to make a thread, so I thought I'd ask about this issue with my I30. Since I've owned it (June 2011), it seems like the transmission doesn't like to shift out of 1st gear readily when you hammer the throttle. It will hold 6000+RPM (redline) for several seconds, then kinda harshly shift to second. This even happened today after I had been driving the car at highway speeds for a good 10-15 miles. It also seems to "push" outta 1st into 2nd for the 1st shift of the day, but that may be since I constantly park on a hill, so oil having to circulate+cold NJ days this time of year = trans needs to warm up. My car has 30K miles, so I highly doubt the tranny is done, but maybe its time for a tranny drain and fill? (Posted this issue in the "Things About Your Maxima that **** You Off" thread, but figured there would be more traffic for the car here). Thanks!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Have you tried a trans flush?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM

that hard shifting from 1st to 2nd is a common problem with our cars when the engine is cold, as for the car staying in 1st for a while, it happened to me too when my knock sensor was bad but I replaced it and that fix my problem.

Last edited by sow3r; 12-15-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Joeker82
Have you tried a trans flush?
I'd rather not flush as all I ever hear are horror stories about transmissions being worse (anything holding the trans together gets flushed out and makes thing worse), even though I have low miles on the car. I did a drain and fill on my old Acura CL and that helped. And wouldn't there be a check engine (service engine soon) light if the knock sensor had to get replaced? Although I do notice that first shift is smoother when the engine is warm even is the car hasn't moved an inch yet.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
I'd rather not flush as all I ever hear are horror stories about transmissions being worse (anything holding the trans together gets flushed out and makes thing worse), even though I have low miles on the car. I did a drain and fill on my old Acura CL and that helped. And wouldn't there be a check engine (service engine soon) light if the knock sensor had to get replaced? Although I do notice that first shift is smoother when the engine is warm even is the car hasn't moved an inch yet.
A bad knock sensor wont trigger the light.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just change the transmission oil put ac delco do it yourself under the pan there is one bolt remove oil will come down leave it for hour then put the gear oil that almost 4 liters run the car check the gauge must be proper, do this for 3 times then put Nissan d matic synthetic and change the transmission filter worked for me
Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 PM

What a thread revival! I finally did a full transmission fluid change and the "normal" shifts seem smoother. Did a highway merge from a stop and it still held 1st, but it seems maybe a little better. I think it may just be how everyone says that the shifting isn't good when it's cold. I won't really have time for the rigorous transmission attention like the one you describe since my semester is starting, I may start a new job, and it took me over a year to finally get this fluid change done. Car only has 51k so I'll leave it alone with new Matic D for a while. This thread reminded me of the knock sensor possibility so maybe I'll give that some more thought.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using MaximaOrg
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM

Sounds like a weak shift solenoid. Probably time for transmission work soon.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
Sounds like a weak shift solenoid. Probably time for transmission work soon.
Some suggest that, but when the car has been driven for a while and is thoroughly warmed up, a full throttle 1-2 shift occurs without a hitch. And in around-town driving shifts are smooth and pretty much unnoticeable.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:40 PM

I have been having the same issue, it used to come and go but lately it seems to happen a lot more. Sometimes it happens when the car is cold, but it has also happened after a bit of stop-and-go traffic. I am afraid to keep it at WOT as it approaches redline, so I usually just pull over and shut off the car for a bit. Sometimes, after starting it again, the O/D Off light will flash for a little. I have noticed when this happens, the transmission will work fine afterwards. I have added fluid, the level on the stick is low but not close to empty. I too am afraid of a flush, but a fluid change doesnt sound like a bad idea. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 PM

Revolution Sensor P/N: 31935-8e006, I think this might be the issue. Im going to give it a shot
Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by gakary54
I have been having the same issue, it used to come and go but lately it seems to happen a lot more. Sometimes it happens when the car is cold, but it has also happened after a bit of stop-and-go traffic. I am afraid to keep it at WOT as it approaches redline, so I usually just pull over and shut off the car for a bit. Sometimes, after starting it again, the O/D Off light will flash for a little. I have noticed when this happens, the transmission will work fine afterwards. I have added fluid, the level on the stick is low but not close to empty. I too am afraid of a flush, but a fluid change doesnt sound like a bad idea. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
How many miles do you have? I changed my fluid at about 50k two months ago and everything seems fine. The weird shifting happens occasionally, but I'm so hellbent on trying to get my MPG at 20+ that I rarely use a lot of throttle. Take a look in the Fluids/Lubricants forum since I think people were doing the drain and fill method at around 100k and their trans' were still intact. Flushes should only be done regularly from new so that nothing builds up, but otherwise material builds up and flushing it out can tear your trans apart. Drain and fill isn't so aggressive. Although in your case, I'd be worried about the O/D light flashing since I think that indicates a big problem; I'd search around and see what comes up about that. Why do you have to pull over though? My car just stays at redline for a second or two and would go into gear somewhat harshly (unless you let off the gas momentarily as it shifts) but it continues to drive without issues.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
How many miles do you have? I changed my fluid at about 50k two months ago and everything seems fine. The weird shifting happens occasionally, but I'm so hellbent on trying to get my MPG at 20+ that I rarely use a lot of throttle. Take a look in the Fluids/Lubricants forum since I think people were doing the drain and fill method at around 100k and their trans' were still intact. Flushes should only be done regularly from new so that nothing builds up, but otherwise material builds up and flushing it out can tear your trans apart. Drain and fill isn't so aggressive. Although in your case, I'd be worried about the O/D light flashing since I think that indicates a big problem; I'd search around and see what comes up about that. Why do you have to pull over though? My car just stays at redline for a second or two and would go into gear somewhat harshly (unless you let off the gas momentarily as it shifts) but it continues to drive without issues.
I am not comfortable with it redlining and am afraid that it wont shift and just blow the motor.