Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Quick Question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:46 AM

Quick Question!

My driver's window won't go up and down so I assume it's the window regulator that's gone defective? Just wanted to make sure with some orgers so I don't order the wrong part
Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0
My driver's window won't go up and down so I assume it's the window regulator that's gone defective? Just wanted to make sure with some orgers so I don't order the wrong part
Yup, I'm doing one today on a jeep grand cherokee. Ironic?

Make sure you get the motor with the regulator. Its easy.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joeker82
Yup, I'm doing one today on a jeep grand cherokee. Ironic?

Make sure you get the motor with the regulator. Its easy.
Word, thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Actually, where could I buy one?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Try car-part.com or local junkyards.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 AM

Okay I'm a noob, but this is what it looks like right?
http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...a-_Driver_Side
Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Okay I'm a noob, but this is what it looks like right?
http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...a-_Driver_Side
Yup! That's it!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM

You sure that the motor is ok? Does it make noise when you try to roll it up and down?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by DavefromCA
You sure that the motor is ok? Does it make noise when you try to roll it up and down?
It makes no noise, and prior to breaking it would slowly pull up to the halfway point then stop.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM

Idc what the situation is, I got another one on the way now lol
Old 06-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Hmmm can you hear the motor struggle at all? If it makes zero noise with the switch, maybe the bad regulator took the motor with it....could also be a switch or wiring but sounds like a motor.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 PM

Hmmm can you hear the motor struggle at all? If it makes zero noise with the switch, maybe the bad regulator took the motor with it....could also be a switch or wiring but sounds like a motor.
Nope, no noise.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Was the window EVER making any kind of a grinding sound? Or did it just die? This is sounding more and more like an electrical issue and not a mechanical issue.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Was the window EVER making any kind of a grinding sound? Or did it just die? This is sounding more and more like an electrical issue and not a mechanical issue.
They dont always grind before they go. The one I just replaced in my jeep just snapped and fell into the door, on a window up. Plus, if your going to replace the regulator you might as well replace the motor. (or vice versa) in my opinion when crap is as old as it is, I'm sure one or the other isn't far behind. Might as well replace them together, who wants to keep taking the door panel apart??
Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Joeker82
They dont always grind before they go. The one I just replaced in my jeep just snapped and fell into the door, on a window up. Plus, if your going to replace the regulator you might as well replace the motor. (or vice versa) in my opinion when crap is as old as it is, I'm sure one or the other isn't far behind. Might as well replace them together, who wants to keep taking the door panel apart??
Well ya you could spend the extra money. However if you can hear ANYTHNIG its more likley power isnt getting there. If you want to replace both by all means, better just hope its not a bad switch or something...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
ef9

As most others said above, you need to troubleshoot more before ordering the part(s).

Is the window jammed? This happened to my friend's Sienna, I had to take the window and regulator out. The regulator jammed itself when he used the auto-down feature.

Take the door panel off, measure the voltage going to the window motor.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 PM

WINDOW MOTOR

this is what I think you need from the description you gave. These tend to go out more often then the regulator itself cause of the rubber mechanism that rolls the window up and down... the regulator would have made a popping noise of some sort if it was bad. And also if it was just the window regulator you would still hear the motor whirring. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mista0406; 06-15-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 AM

Alright, let me try and give a thorough description of what it used to act like before it gave out on me...

At first the window used to slowly roll up to the "halfway point" then resume to roll up at normal speed. Then it would stop at the halfway point completely and I would have to pull up on it while keeping the switch towards the "up" position to roll up completely. Then it would stop at the halfway point AND a position say 1 inch above that and I would still have to pull up on it. Then one day it didn't operate at all, it operated later in the day, then refused to operate again and has remained that way to this day. The switch still clicks, but there's no sounds from the door.

Life without this window sucks, I miss listening to my CAI

If it is an electrical issue, my fault
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 AM

Alright, let me try and give a thorough description of what it used to act like before it gave out on me...

At first the window used to slowly roll up to the "halfway point" then resume to roll up at normal speed. Then it would stop at the halfway point completely and I would have to pull up on it while keeping the switch towards the "up" position to roll up completely. Then it would stop at the halfway point AND a position say 1 inch above that and I would still have to pull up on it. Then one day it didn't operate at all, it operated later in the day, then refused to operate again and has remained that way to this day. The switch still clicks, but there's no sounds from the door.

Life without this window sucks, I miss listening to my CAI

If it is an electrical issue, my fault
As suggested above sounds like you need to replace both the regulator and motor at this point. Again as suggested above, if you have some knid of multimeter measure if power is getting to the motor at all. If you have no meter then just use your tounge. (JK of course)

Sounds like you motor was working 10 times as hard with a bad regulator and eventually died. When you perform this repair, get a spray can of dry lubricant and spray all of the window grooves to reduce resistance and increase the life of all the motors.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 AM

As suggested above sounds like you need to replace both the regulator and motor at this point. Again as suggested above, if you have some knid of multimeter measure if power is getting to the motor at all. If you have no meter then just use your tounge. (JK of course)

Sounds like you motor was working 10 times as hard with a bad regulator and eventually died. When you perform this repair, get a spray can of dry lubricant and spray all of the window grooves to reduce resistance and increase the life of all the motors.
Ohh word. So for the lubricant, WD-40 will fare?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 AM

Alright well I'm replacing it right now and I'm stick, the window is stuck at the top and the only way i can take off the bolts, holding the glass to the regulator, is if it comes down. and its not coming down, any suggestions?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 AM

Hmmm theres no way to force it? Be careful with the glass but the regulators broken anyway. And wd40 is not a dry lubricant.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Hmmm theres no way to force it? Be careful with the glass but the regulators broken anyway. And wd40 is not a dry lubricant.
Yeah I finished the job yesterday; I had to wedge my socket wrench between the nut and the door frame, it took 30minutes just to get both of them out. The window just wouldn't go down, so I had no other option.

Uhh I used Wd-40 to lubricate the window track...dunno if thats a problem
Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM

WD40 should be a problem, just might leave a film.

Good job man! A lot of shops would charge over $200 for labor alone on that job.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Yeah I finished the job yesterday; I had to wedge my socket wrench between the nut and the door frame, it took 30minutes just to get both of them out. The window just wouldn't go down, so I had no other option.

Uhh I used Wd-40 to lubricate the window track...dunno if thats a problem
Glad you got it finished! Sorry I couldn't be much help on the write up, but the video of the door panel removal probably helped you out. Once you get in there its pretty straight forward. At least you got your feet wet, and next time you wont feel so reluctant to do it yourself. Good Job Buddy!