Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Whine/Rumble noise at specific RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Whine/Rumble noise at specific RPMs

Tonight while driving my '01 I30 I noticed a new noise. At somewhere between 1500-2500 RPMs (hard to tell exactly where, as it comes and goes very quickly) there is a noise that sounds half way in between a whine and a rumble. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side front (maybe the wheel). Above 2500RPM the car sounds just like it should. The car pulls strongly, shifts properly, and otherwise drives exactly as it should. It also recently had a 90K service which included flushing the engine and transmission. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM

To clarify, it only happens at right about 2000RPM. Above or below, no noise. I can jump on the throttle and accelerate right up to redline before the transmission shifts with no problems. It's as if there's some kind of resonance being created at that RPM level.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 PM

A good quality video of the noise would definitely help. Does it happen in all gears? Auto or man?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:24 PM

I took the car to the local Infiniti dealer today, and was told the noises I'm hearing are caused by the exhaust and rear suspension. They say the following must be replaced:

Exhaust mid-pipe and muffler
Rear struts/boots
Rear beam bushings (apparently the whole rear beam must be replaced)

The car only has 90K on the odometer and had the 90K service done two months ago, so I'm shocked that all of these problems could have cropped up since then. The total quote for all of this? A disturbing $3000 (including $1200 for the exhaust work alone (!)) . I called one of the other Infiniti dealers in the area, and the service advisor was incredulous about the whole thing, saying he had only seen a rear suspension on an I30 fail once or twice in several years with Infiniti dealers. He offered to have one of his techs check and see if these components indeed need to be replaced (free of charge I might add, this makes me like this dealer more already), so I'm going to keep the car off the road this week (I'm lucky enough to work for an auto manufacturer and we have a test car I can borrow) and take it in next Saturday morning.

Is there any way for me to verify any of this myself? I looked under my car and couldn't see any holes in the exhaust (doesn't mean they aren't there of course). The hangers looked a bit corroded, but those can be replaced without doing the whole exhaust. How can I check if my rear suspension is not operating properly? The car drives fine other than this strange whine (which has now been joined by a metallic rattle from something in the exhaust system shaking). The dealer could also not replicate the 2000 RPM whine, so I suspect it's just part of the exhaust issue.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Try going to an independent Infiniti shop if there are any near you and get a second opinion....
Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm definitely going to get a second opinion. I also went through my records today and noticed that I had the muffler replaced two years ago. I've only put 12000 miles on the car since the replacement, and the car hasn't seen a lot of snow or salt. Shouldn't an OEM muffler last longer than that?

Also, the labor I was quoted for the muffler and mid pipe came to $500 (!). Two years ago, labor for the muffler replacement was $250. How can replacing the mid pipe as well DOUBLE the labor time? I suspect it doesn't, and the dealer that looked at my car yesterday is padding their estimate.

Last edited by MattB85; 01-09-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Two parts:

1) Suspension
I don't know how the exhaust and suspension would be tied together to make an RPM-variable noise. Suspension would make noise during up-and-down movement (bumps) or side-to side (swerving or steering) Usually bad bushings will make a hollow "thoonk" noise or a rattle, not whining. Have the exhaust looked at first, then re-visit this one. I smell something horse-like on this one.

2) Exhaust
The RPM-specific vibrations is often heat shields on the exhaust. As we know the engine vibrates as it runs, and vibrates at a faster pace as RPM rises. The spot-welds on the heat shields crap out or crack, vibration causes the noise, and that's annoying.

Remember the old cartoons where the opera singer would hit a note and the wine glass would explode? Same idea. As the engine vibrates, it eventually goes through different frequencies where it hits that perfect pitch where the loose exhaust components will vibrate too, and there you have the ringing noise.

Here are two things you can do:

Jack up the car safely with jackstands and such and get under there with a rubber mallet. Starting at one end or the other (I start at the tailpipe, you can do what you want) pound on the exhaust a few times moving forward about 6 inches at a time. Eventually you should hear a rattling that sounds similar to the whine you hear. Experiment by holding the pipe with your hand as you hit near it and you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. Take a piece of chalk and somehow mark where you hear the noise coming from.

I too am very specific about taking my car to qualified mechanics when needed, but for something like this find a favorite local Midas/Meineke place and explain that you have an exhaust rattle, and oftentimes they can and will weld it up for $20 or so. I've got a local place like that I can go to and it's a godsend for these little annoyances that I can't do on my own. Sure, it's not OEM Nissan parts, but it's under the car and nobody will ever see it as you cruise.

Last edited by Montego Murph; 01-09-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 PM

I have no idea how the suspension came into this either...the dealer said it was related to the noise. I suspect a high chance of BS. I'll try to get under the car and try to determine the source of the noise. I can visually see that some of the hangers are corroded so I suspect this could allow the exhaust to vibrate at certain RPMs and cause a rattle when hitting bumps.

What bothers me here is that I had the 90K service done by a dealer three months and 1200 miles ago. On the 90K RO, inspections of the rear suspension and exhaust are listed and no problems are indicated. Now another dealer is telling me those components have failed. One of the dealers is being less than truthful with me; I could see an exhaust component coming loose and causing the noise in that timeframe, but a failed rear suspension and muffler seems really extreme.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rumble that

Matt,
Did you ever figure out what was causing the rumble noise? It seems like I may have the same issue. There is a faint noise at idle and as I accelerate it gets louder sometimes cutting in and out. I can control it with the throttle at around 2,000rpms. It can also be manipulated by steering left (steering right will not make the noise cut in and out like steering left does). It sounds like it could be an air/vacuum problem or exhaust. Not sure how the steering affects the noise? The faint rumbling can still be heard when stopped so it is not the brakes or wheel bearings. I replaced the $150 power steering pump…. No joy. I removed the alternator, AC compressor drive belt and drove around the block… no help. Looked over the entire engine for loose or displaced vacuum lines…. None found. Inspected the exhaust system for loose components…. None found. Unless the 3 way catalyst is making the noise internally?? The noise is really strong on the passenger side (but the passenger cannot seem to hear it as bad as the driver). I cannot wait to find out what this noise is!!