Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Lifter Knock??

Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 AM

Lifter Knock??

MAJOR lifter knock when car is first started after sitting over night, then knock gradually goes away. (Or, at least is sounds exactly like a lifter knock...) Car sounds like like a garbage disposal with forks in it when first started. Sounds perfectly normal after about 3-5 minutes of idling but accelleration is very slow in first gear, then jerky at higher rpms at end of 2nd gear before shifting to 3rd. Engine light is also on for same O2 sensor that I just replaced. 88k miles on engine.

Any ideas...?

Last edited by ZGadson; 06-07-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 AM
大陆弟弟

1. infamous engine rattle on cold start, check your oil level and learn to live with it
2. MAF could be going bad
3. Replace your O2 sensor
Old 06-08-2009, 12:50 AM
No more Maximas...

The VQ doesn't have lifters. It's just typical timing chain rattle.

Have you checked the harness and connectors for the O2 that's throwing a code? Tested the sensor?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 AM

damn!! I had this same problem this morning. Did you happen to start the car very briefly and turn it off the last time you used it? I suspect that it could have been a similar thing that would happened on my Q.

I checked the oil level and is was all the way to the top of the dipstick like splattered. I think I'm going to get an oil change today.

Did you h
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Kevin
damn!! I had this same problem this morning. Did you happen to start the car very briefly and turn it off the last time you used it? I suspect that it could have been a similar thing that would happened on my Q.

I checked the oil level and is was all the way to the top of the dipstick like splattered. I think I'm going to get an oil change today.

Did you h
Did you check the oil immediately after running the engine? Can't do that on the VQ.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Did you check the oil immediately after running the engine? Can't do that on the VQ.
Yea I did. I think the car was low on oil. I started her again after putting a quart in. It seemed to run fine. will get an oil change today and see what happens. Its close to 3k miles since the last oil change anyway.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:29 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Kevin
Yea I did. I think the car was low on oil. I started her again after putting a quart in. It seemed to run fine. will get an oil change today and see what happens. Its close to 3k miles since the last oil change anyway.
Did you check the oil properly before just dumping a quart in? Check it afterwards?

Overfilling can cause problems just as running low can...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:53 AM

My car is hopefully going into the dealer today - doubt they'll get it fixed today because I'm sure it will need some $600+ part that they need to order, but I'll be sure to let ya'll know what fixed it.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:10 AM

your problem is probably the chain tensioners,, leaking down
Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM

I got the oil change and problem was gone. The car was actually 2k miles over the interval, but it did not seem terribly low on the indicator. I personally believe the reason it happened is that I started the car very briefly to move it and shut it down fast (less then 30 seconds). this didn't give enough time for the car to circulate the oil properly. this was a consistent , repeatable problem on my q45. surprised this happened on the i35
Old 06-12-2009, 08:04 AM

Exact words from Infiniti dealer:

Your car needs new coilpacks because they are drenched in oil as well as the spark plugs. You have two engine seals that are leaking oil into the intake and onto the coils and plugs. We can clean the coilpacks if we can save them. You also need both rear o2 sensors. We want $1800.

Exact words from Joe's Auto across the street:

You engine is leaking oil into the intake. Your coilpacks are spotless and we're not going to touch them. You do need sparkplugs simply because they're old. We'll replace the two seals that are leaking, and your belts are cracked, so we'll replace those, too. You also need one o2 sensor replaced. Your repair would be $980.

Needless to say, I had Joe's repair my car although I thought even they were a little high in price. They were very honest. Plus, their hot master tech was also a deciding factor.

Now the best part. On the way out of their lot, $980 shorter, my engine light clicked on again with a code for the TPS. I knew the TPS (throttle position sensor) was bad so I had them look at it. They reset my engine light so the car would run correctly and told me to come back the next day. I did. Not only did they replace the sensor in less than 20 minutes, but they didn't charge me a single penny for it.

Even though the dealer charged me $125 to look at my car. I still saved over $1200 by going to Joe's over the dealer.

Last edited by ZGadson; 06-12-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
大陆弟弟

People please...search around, these are COMMON symptoms for the 5.5gen and lots of thread on how to fix it. The startup rattle is the VTC sprocket, fix = tear apart half of engine or live with it since it does no damage.

Zgadson, look up Dave Burnett's # at South Point Nissan (search will be fastest), order a 6th gen rear valve cover and gasket, and whatever other parts then take it to your local mechanic.

Edit: found the # coincidentally:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...june-sale.html
Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
People please...search around, these are COMMON symptoms for the 5.5gen and lots of thread on how to fix it. The startup rattle is the VTC sprocket, fix = tear apart half of engine or live with it since it does no damage.

Zgadson, look up Dave Burnett's # at South Point Nissan (search will be fastest), order a 6th gen rear valve cover and gasket, and whatever other parts then take it to your local mechanic.

Edit: found the # coincidentally:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...june-sale.html
My car is already fixed. And there seems to be a thick line between Nissan and Infiniti. They're all but enemies. Nissan could fix my car all they wanted, but because my car is an Infiniti, they can't honor the warranty on the parts and visa versa. Anyone who goes to a dealer for repair work either has a warranty or they have a strong compulsion to watch money circle the drain.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
My car is already fixed. And there seems to be a thick line between Nissan and Infiniti. They're all but enemies. Nissan could fix my car all they wanted, but because my car is an Infiniti, they can't honor the warranty on the parts and visa versa. Anyone who goes to a dealer for repair work either has a warranty or they have a strong compulsion to watch money circle the drain.

I think what N3985 meant was your oil leaking/consumption problem may be fixed by using a 04+ rear valve cover gasket. It has worked for some. DaveB is the guy to go to order those parts.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM

the 6th gen valve covers worked for me

BTW, we dont have lifters in our cylinder heads, but we do have bucket tappets that can become out of spec and cause a tick noise, i know because my old oil burning motor came across this problem(low oil) and i crushed the tappets (cylinder 5 exhaust buckets). but unless you run low on oil you wouldnt see this problem.