Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

My I30 Has moved on!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:43 AM

My I30 Has moved on!!

My I30 has moved on. After needing 3000 in fixes, my 96 I30 has become a trade in for my new car that is being leased for 3 years. I miss my car already and she gave me 4.5 years of happy healthy service and she was my first car. It was hard to give her up, she protected me in 2 accidents and was in a third before i even bought her.

Now many of you may ask what my new car is, and well, my loyalty to nissan is still strong. My parents have leased up a 2008 nissan altima 2.5S for 3 years. The plan is that i need a ca to commute to school in and they wanted me in something safe and reliable and something that i liked. The second part of it is to give me a chance to save my money for the car that i really want which happens to be the altima coupe which i have heard rumors that in years to come there will be a convertible edition. Convertible or not, i am aiming for the 3.5L almost fully loaded. All in all, i have my parents to thank fo giving me this opportunity.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Did your car need collision repair? If its 3 Gs in body work than it was def time for a new car
Old 08-23-2008, 02:14 PM

no, it needed new power steering pump, 4 rotors and pads, 2 new belts, new antenna assembly, 3 new window regulators and motors, new foglights, and i think thats it. adds up fast since i dont know how to chnage the belts steering pump and brakes stuff, so yeah, suxors
Old 08-23-2008, 04:34 PM

2 cases of beer and the parts someone on the org probably would have done it for you.

Hope your happy with you 2.5 Alti. I almost leased a car for $40 a month after my trade in just so i could focus solely on school too, fixing cars is addictive. Good luck
Old 08-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
no, it needed new power steering pump, 4 rotors and pads, 2 new belts, new antenna assembly, 3 new window regulators and motors, new foglights, and i think thats it. adds up fast since i dont know how to chnage the belts steering pump and brakes stuff, so yeah, suxors
Sounds like a couple of trips to the junk yard and auto parts store which, should total less than $400. Add a couple of weekends and the car is back on the road.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:48 AM

yeah, both of which is hard to do since i live in an apt complex and dont know how to do alot of the stuf, the car was old, i just need something reliable, can't bank on the if's and maybes.

I am very happy with the altima, its just newer technology, better engineering,a complete upgrade from what i have. It was sad, but its part of progress i suppose. It's just, its not mine, its the dealers since its a lease.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am just one of many who will work for beer. I'm sure there are others that live closer to you. Hopefully the car ends up in good hands.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM

I just got in an accident with my 98 i30 as well. Body shop estimates came out to 4k (it blue books at 5k) but its such a great car I don't want to let it go. I think I can do it myself for about 1500. Its hard to let go of these cars because they are so great. 165k miles and still runs like new.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by azheat
I just got in an accident with my 98 i30 as well. Body shop estimates came out to 4k (it blue books at 5k) but its such a great car I don't want to let it go. I think I can do it myself for about 1500. Its hard to let go of these cars because they are so great. 165k miles and still runs like new.
where are you at?
where was it hit?
any interest in parting out
Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 PM

I'm actually going to fix it. I have a cousin who is a mechanic and he volunteered his time to help out. I hit a deer so the hood, drivers side fender, bumper cover, radiator support, radiator, condensor, fan assembly, and both headlights need replaced. I searched used parts lots and discount suppliers for the better part of a month and amassed all of the parts for $1,100. Labor will be free but Im trying to decided what to do on paint...a little timid to tackle that myself. I don't need a show car, just a decent job. I expect to get another 75k miles out of it so I figure the car is worth it if I can come in around $2500 including the re-paint. There are a couple faded spots on the trunk so I figured I might as well just repaint the whole car. fingers crossed.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:39 PM
mod or sell?

you are going to spend more to fix it than I paid for mine
Old 09-20-2008, 10:59 PM

Well I have had it for five years and havent had to put a penny into it other than oil changes and brakes so its more than worth it to get another three years use out of it probably. I just drive it around town now so miles don't build up too fast. I certainly would rather do other things with the money, but considering the use I will still get out of it, its better than having a car payment for the next five years!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:28 AM
mod or sell?

Well I have had it for five years and havent had to put a penny into it other than oil changes and brakes so its more than worth it to get another three years use out of it probably. I just drive it around town now so miles don't build up too fast. I certainly would rather do other things with the money, but considering the use I will still get out of it, its better than having a car payment for the next five years!
I took a 5 year car payment once. Never again. next car was a three year, I paid it off just before the **** hit the fan earlier this year. I won't be taking another car payment again, next one will be leased.

I just saw a 4th gen with 105k or so for sale for $2200.
I paid $1650 for my 98 I30t a couple of weeks ago.
it does need:
Right fog light and corner light ($30 @ JY)
Right outer tail light ($55 on egay)
Brakes ($200 or so depending on quality of pads and rotors)
Tires ($120 for 2 installed already done)
Rear Seat Bottom (no clue yet)
Power Antenna mast ($20)
A/C recharge ($0 my cost :P)
P/S fluid leak by cooler (cost unknown so far)

As time goes on I'll do other more cosmetic things like fix some scratches get a different grill, new fenders, new hood. none of that needs to be replaced it's just for me that I would do it.

I personally haven't done anything to the car other than adding P/S fluid, and toss on the 2 tires. I spent over my budget buying the car and I'm feeling the crunch of it now.

I think that for the money you are spending you should have looked for a complete front clip / dog house in your cars color and bought that. it saves alot of time and money since once you get it it has everything you need including the stupid little clips that break in an accident.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:24 PM

he give me the money and i'll get a motorcycle

Is your p/s leak even worth fixing? mines is leaking and i really don't wanna even think about fixing it... i'd rather do a MT swap

ps. I might take out a loan to get a bike but i'm weary... (only $2800 i would borrow)

Last edited by B_Eaze; 09-21-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by B_Eaze
Is your p/s leak even worth fixing? mines is leaking and i really don't wanna even think about fixing it... i'd rather do a MT swap
my leak is at the coolers rubber hose. I tried to tighten the clamps, but it didn't help. one of these days I'll take it apart and see if I need new hose or new clamps.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:10 AM

$2200 with only 100k miles? Thats a good deal. That surprises me, because my 98 has 165k miles and it blue books a 5k (well it did before the accident). And what rims do you have on your touring? I have never found tires for $60 a piece for my i30t. Best I found one time was $95.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I took a 5 year car payment once. Never again. next car was a three year, I paid it off just before the **** hit the fan earlier this year. I won't be taking another car payment again, next one will be leased.

I just saw a 4th gen with 105k or so for sale for $2200.
I paid $1650 for my 98 I30t a couple of weeks ago.
it does need:
Right fog light and corner light ($30 @ JY)
Right outer tail light ($55 on egay)
Brakes ($200 or so depending on quality of pads and rotors)
Tires ($120 for 2 installed already done)
Rear Seat Bottom (no clue yet)
Power Antenna mast ($20)
A/C recharge ($0 my cost :P)
P/S fluid leak by cooler (cost unknown so far)

As time goes on I'll do other more cosmetic things like fix some scratches get a different grill, new fenders, new hood. none of that needs to be replaced it's just for me that I would do it.

I personally haven't done anything to the car other than adding P/S fluid, and toss on the 2 tires. I spent over my budget buying the car and I'm feeling the crunch of it now.

I think that for the money you are spending you should have looked for a complete front clip / dog house in your cars color and bought that. it saves alot of time and money since once you get it it has everything you need including the stupid little clips that break in an accident.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 AM
mod or sell?

$2200 with only 100k miles? Thats a good deal. That surprises me, because my 98 has 165k miles and it blue books a 5k (well it did before the accident). And what rims do you have on your touring? I have never found tires for $60 a piece for my i30t. Best I found one time was $95.
4th gen max to be clear. around here the 4th gen isn't worth much. a 3rd gen is worth more typically.

As far as rims go, I have the stock rims on my car. I got the tire so cheaply because:
a. I buy at true wholesale
b. a buddy did the mounting and balancing for $20 including valves
c. the warehouse may have had a pricing glitch on their system, the salesman wasn't sure about the pricing but gave it to me anyhow.

the plus side is they are a "V" rated tire, UHP, and XL rated and all season as well. the down side is they smell like **** right now.