Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Ripped Off on Radiator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ripped Off on Radiator Replacement

Hi everyone,

First, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot; I don't come here too often so...

Anyway, I have an Infiniti I30 (2000) and recently had been having issues with my radiator, and finally it split on me, and I had to get it replaced. I took it to a shop close by and had them fix it all up. ...the charged me $1350. Yeah, holy crap right?

So in the attached images, you can see the breakdown of the prices per item. The big thing that sticks out to me is the radiator: $515!!! The priciest one I could find online was around $100. I even called the Nissan dealership, and asked them how much would charge for just the radiator part, and they said $250. I even asked them how much it would cost to have the same repairs done there, and they gave me a quote of around $1000. I know I got ripped off, and I wanna go back to the shop to at least let them know they're douche bags. But I wanted to make sure I know for sure what I am talking about first...I mean, what do you guys think? Looking through that list, is there anything else other than the radiator that seems ridiculous?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Wow, that is so bad that I don't know what to say other than "Did you get a kiss?", because they sure did screw you.
You got screwed on everything, parts prices, labor, everything. Did you at least get an estimate from the place you got the job done? Did you authorize a new thermostat and new fans? Hell yes, I would go back and talk to the manager and ask him how he could justify these charges.
If it were me, I would at least take issue with the Better Business Bureau. But, if it were me, I would have changed my own radiator in about 20 minutes labor rather than over an hour.
There is an old saying, "Education is expensive" and in your case, it sure was and I hoped you learned from it.

Last edited by venturous; 11-13-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 PM

This is an easy job.
I've done it for free plus parts.
Even at a shop it shouldn't break $300 IMO.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by venturous
Wow, that is so bad that I don't know what to say other than "Did you get a kiss?", because they sure did screw you.
You got screwed on everything, parts prices, labor, everything. Did you at least get an estimate from the place you got the job done? Did you authorize a new thermostat and new fans? Hell yes, I would go back and talk to the manager and ask him how he could justify these charges.
If it were me, I would at least take issue with the Better Business Bureau. But, if it were me, I would have changed my own radiator in about 20 minutes labor rather than over an hour.
There is an old saying, "Education is expensive" and in your case, it sure was and I hoped you learned from it.
Originally they gave me an estimate of $1092, and then they checked the fans which I had asked beforehand to have replaced. So that bumped the price up. But I dunno, I looked online before this and when they told me the cost I was like "WTF" because I was expecting like $400 max....he mentioned a few parts and I thought perhaps I missed something, and somehow I agreed (of course looking back at it, I have no idea how).

Do you think there's any chance of getting a partial refund, at least for the radiator? I mean, I hope that doesn't sound silly. But ****, if they have any decency in them, perhaps it's possible... I mean, taking advantage of people like that is pretty messed up. Especially when I'm a college student.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Saibomb
Originally they gave me an estimate of $1092, and then they checked the fans which I had asked beforehand to have replaced. So that bumped the price up. But I dunno, I looked online before this and when they told me the cost I was like "WTF" because I was expecting like $400 max....he mentioned a few parts and I thought perhaps I missed something, and somehow I agreed (of course looking back at it, I have no idea how).

Do you think there's any chance of getting a partial refund, at least for the radiator? I mean, I hope that doesn't sound silly. But ****, if they have any decency in them, perhaps it's possible... I mean, taking advantage of people like that is pretty messed up. Especially when I'm a college student.
You agreed to the repairs my man! :-)
It's going to be an expensive lesson, unfortunately..
But yea, you got taken for a ride. I replaced mine for $150 and some change, and an hour labor by myself.

You need to get a second opinion when things sound ridiculous.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM

as said you already agreed to it so you arent getting any money back

if you get a huge estimate like that, just say youll think about fixing it. go somewhere else afterwards, if they give you a similar estimate you can either just leave it with them or go back to the first place knowing youre probably not getting ripped off
Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chrome91
as said you already agreed to it so you arent getting any money back

if you get a huge estimate like that, just say youll think about fixing it. go somewhere else afterwards, if they give you a similar estimate you can either just leave it with them or go back to the first place knowing youre probably not getting ripped off
I usually do, and beforehand I'll always try to do some research to know I'm not getting screwed. Like I said, I was expecting $400 max and somehow they got me to agree to that ridiculous price. I have no idea how it happened; in the back of my mind I guess I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I assumed there were some other issues that drove the price up. I dunno... I don't think I've ever been this embarrassed at my self before in my life...

Anyways, thank you guys for your help. Much appreciated.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't even feel bad for you. Shops look for individuals like yourself. You need to find an honest shop that does honest work. I've got a local shop that does work for me at $50/hr, I supply parts. This is for the stuff I can't manage myself. Do your research before you take your car in. Even if your car isn't drivable, you could've rented a car and researched and still come out better.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 AM

You could've bought me a plane ticket there and back and still saved half of that.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 AM

I think I was quoted $400 for radiator replacement this summer. $250 parts and $150 labor. I wound up doing it myself for $150 and 2 hours time. This car has a very simple cooling system so it was a pretty easy repair.

Report these guys to the BBB and write some online reviews. $800 is high for radiator replacement, $1k+ is robbery.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 AM

Wow my man... That's nuts.... I replaced mines in 45 mins for $140 bucks... It's just hoses and bolts. The longest part is the drain and refill. All I can think of is the theme song to one of my favorite fighting games..... "I wanna take you for a ride...." But, you live and you learn, happens to the best of us sometimes..
Old 11-30-2013, 06:20 PM

People keep saying to report them to the BBB... for what? Being too expensive and having buyers remorse. What are you going to say? I authorized the repairs and cost without researching it first and now I realize I paid too much so I want to complain?

You paid full markup and full labor.

I don't understand the two thermostats and two labors for them.

I see housing with thermostat and thermostat.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM

Well, if you want to get a little nasty, you could get a pad of Postum Notes and write " For a good screw, call XXX-XXXX" (their business number) and post them all over town in every bathroom.
Not very nice, but hey, they were not very nice to you.