Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Installed Navi on Non-Nav I35 *Picts*

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Installed Navi on Non-Nav I35 *Picts*

I've finally got my navigation system installed. It was a pain in the ***. The screen is installed and I have the control unit just sitting on the floor on the passenger side for now until I can get the stereo that goes with the nav control unit. Some wires are still not connected to anything, but the system seems to be working fine without them. AND I do not have a navigation antenna and the system still works fine.

So there you have it, the 1st posting of adding navigation to a non-navigation I35. If anyone decides to do this, too, and has any questions Id be happy to help.

The one thing I do still need is the MCA5 (chicago region) navigation CD if anyone has one the'd be willing to trade me (I have the MCA6 disc that came in the drive, but I can't use it).

Here's the control unit. I have no place to mount it yet, so here it sits.

Before Paint:

After paint (which I was able to match perfectly w/ flat black spray paint and a slight mist of silver spray paint):
Old 06-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Got Projectors?

Congrats!

Wiring diagrams are fun, aren't they?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:13 PM

Great work and good luck finding a cd changer head unit/changer.. PS I want your shift ****... (Sport jealosy)
Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM
大陆弟弟

More info on the paint match please, I have scratches on mine
Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Norkoastal
Great work and good luck finding a cd changer head unit/changer.. PS I want your shift ****... (Sport jealosy)
You want my shift ****, huh? lol.

Actually, the guy I bought the system from (on ebay) says he's got the stereo that mounts under the nav control unit in the dash he'd sell me for $45 although the CD changer doesn't come with it. Car-part.com is a good source for that kind of stuff, too.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
More info on the paint match please, I have scratches on mine
Believe it or not, all I did was cover it 3 or 4 times with FLAT black spray paint from the hardware store. Then I sprayed silver (also flat) over the black.

Silver is tricky because you have to barely cover all of the black with it to the point where it doesnt look like you sprayed silver at all - this helps to match the sparkley bits in the rest of the black dash pieces. If you get it too silver, spray more black over it once it dries.

Too much spray paint will make it runny and you'll end up with a mess. Remember, you can always spray it again once it dries if there's places that appear to need more paint.

I'd like to spray a clearcoat over it because it feels a little rough, but its the color that matters most, so I may skip the clearcoat if I think it could screw up my color match job.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
大陆弟弟

Post pics of the spray cans please? be easier for me
Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 PM

Very nice work.!!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
You want my shift ****, huh? lol.

Actually, the guy I bought the system from (on ebay) says he's got the stereo that mounts under the nav control unit in the dash he'd sell me for $45 although the CD changer doesn't come with it. Car-part.com is a good source for that kind of stuff, too.
Sweet price for the deck..... Another couple tings you might consider with the nav (brain) being unmounted and the pending deck are a KP technologies nav ok button bypass module... www.kptechnologies.com and the USA spec Ipod module that plugs into the back of the radio... No changer means possible Ipod input.

It (nav mod) does require some soldering (minimal) wires, but from the looks of it you have the skills. the unit allows two things.. 1 no confirmation ok on boot.. The second is a VSS disable timer.. this allows input while in motion!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM

Nice Job!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Sweet price for the deck..... Another couple tings you might consider with the nav (brain) being unmounted and the pending deck are a KP technologies nav ok button bypass module... www.kptechnologies.com and the USA spec Ipod module that plugs into the back of the radio... No changer means possible Ipod input.

It (nav mod) does require some soldering (minimal) wires, but from the looks of it you have the skills. the unit allows two things.. 1 no confirmation ok on boot.. The second is a VSS disable timer.. this allows input while in motion!!!
Actually, because not all the wires are connected, I can already input information/addresses and change settings while the car is moving, although I do like the idea of no OK button when the nav starts up. I'd get the deluxe bypass switch so I can add a DVD player to my nav screen. (I've heard many people say the screen isn't fast enough to play movies, but Im not so sure about that - because its a CD-based navigation system, I imagine that its the drive that can't read the CD fast enough to fluidly move the map around on the screen - and that has nothing to do with the screen's ability to play a DVD. (Also, the prices on kptechnology's site make me wonder - I made myself an electronic beep to replace the horn chirp. I bought a beeper form Radio Shack for $7 and connected it to the lock output at the driver door and it works great. They want $50 for a "beep module.")

Last edited by ZGadson; 06-09-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:43 PM

Here's what I painted it with. Can on the left is the silver (American Tradition - Valspar (From Lowes I believe)) Interior/Exterior Ultra Enamel for Wood/Metal/Crafts. The black is older, so Im not sure where it came from. Its Quick Color Fast Drying All Purpose Spray Enamel. (The black paint says to use primer, but I did not.)

Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Actually, because not all the wires are connected, I can already input information/addresses and change settings while the car is moving, although I do like the idea of no OK button when the nav starts up. I'd get the deluxe bypass switch so I can add a DVD player to my nav screen. (I've heard many people say the screen isn't fast enough to play movies, but Im not so sure about that - because its a CD-based navigation system, I imagine that its the drive that can't read the CD fast enough to fluidly move the map around on the screen - and that has nothing to do with the screen's ability to play a DVD. (Also, the prices on kptechnology's site make me wonder - I made myself an electronic beep to replace the horn chirp. I bought a beeper form Radio Shack for $7 and connected it to the lock output at the driver door and it works great. They want $50 for a "beep module.")
I was looking at this for the video/backup cam option.. http://www.tvandnav2go.com/rgb.html
$250 which is a little nuts, but plug and play...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:40 PM

Thats pretty sick, im jealous Hope the diagrams helped out..

Adam
Old 06-10-2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2000MaximaSE
Thats pretty sick, im jealous Hope the diagrams helped out..

Adam
Couldn't have done it without 'em, Adam! Can't thank you enough because I had no clue where to even start when I first looked at the thing!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:46 AM

Got any tips for getting the nav display unit out??? I want to swap my analog clock bulb and dont know if I should try to pull the nav out then get to the clock, or go through the vent like the non nav folks have recommended...

Thanks
Brad
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Got any tips for getting the nav display unit out??? I want to swap my analog clock bulb and dont know if I should try to pull the nav out then get to the clock, or go through the vent like the non nav folks have recommended...

Thanks
Brad
It's easier than it sounds to get to the clock, and you don't even have to take the nav screen out because its not connected to the dash piece at all - just make sure the screen is down when you work on it. Pry off the vent piece (works best to pry with a cloth/flat screw driver on the left side of the vent btwn the dash and vent piece). There are only two screws that hold the top cover on that hides the navigation screen. Unscrew them (they're right in the front and you'll see them when you pull off the vent) and the top dash piece should snap out if you pull it toward you and slightly up. The rest is self explanitory.

Last edited by ZGadson; 06-10-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:36 AM

I have a navigation antenna on the way and the stereo/cd changer, too. When I get them, I'll post pictures of the finished product and make a write-up for everything.

(NOTE: If anyone is interested, there's a complete nav system on ebay right now for $400 - screen, nav control unit, and stereo - only thing missing is a navigation antenna, but any aftermarket nav antenna will work.)
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 AM
www.autotalk.com

That's good hard work right there. Great job on the install!!! I was gonna do this back in the day but decided against it. Why would you spend all that effort and $$ for a factory CD based navi and pos bose headunit? These days you can pick up a nice aftermarket double din for a good price and the dash kit from this dude on the org.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
That's good hard work right there. Great job on the install!!! I was gonna do this back in the day but decided against it. Why would you spend all that effort and $$ for a factory CD based navi and pos bose headunit? These days you can pick up a nice aftermarket double din for a good price and the dash kit from this dude on the org.
My reasoning from staying away from aftermarket decks is the fact the car looks stock with the factory install and is less pront to theft than the aftermarket variety. I also bypassed my cd changer audio input and made a aux in for any headphone output, so no more muffled Bose stereo. I think the bose decks are bad, but if you EQ the signal going to them the speakers can more than handle the higher highs and boosted lows from the input source. My highs are 3x better than stock with stock speakers + new tweaters.. Bass is deaper and more punchy.. Prior to swapping the inputs the highs were the same as stock, so I was a little ticked paying $80 bucks for tweeters for no improvement.

Last edited by Norkoastal; 08-03-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:50 AM

My reasoning from staying away from aftermarket decks is the fact the car looks stock with the factory install and is less pront to theft than the aftermarket variety. I also bypassed my cd changer audio input and made a aux in for any headphone output, so no more muffled Bose stereo. I think the bose decks are bad, but if you EQ the signal going to them the speakers can more than handle the higher highs and boosted lows from the input source. My highs are 3x better than stock with stock speakers + new tweaters.. Bass is deaper and more punchy..
I said in an earlier post that I was installing the OEM system because I liked the stock look (and because nothing is more satisfying than watching the screen pop up from the dash when the car is started). Also, I've spent less than $200 on this whole project because I got the stereo and nav system for a steal on ebay. I'm also planning on adding a dvd player with a kit I found that turns RCA output into a RGB signal that our OEM displays can read.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM

I said in an earlier post that I was installing the OEM system because I liked the stock look (and because nothing is more satisfying than watching the screen pop up from the dash when the car is started). Also, I've spent less than $200 on this whole project because I got the stereo and nav system for a steal on ebay. I'm also planning on adding a dvd player with a kit I found that turns RCA output into a RGB signal that our OEM displays can read.
Which kit is this?? The one I found is too spendy for my taste..
Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 PM

They are a bit pricey. The one I've been looking at is $250, but I've seen several similar models on ebay for around $100. There are a few options on KPTechnology's website (http://www.kptechnologies.com) but I think those are meant for DVD navigation systems. Here's the one Im looking into: http://www.converters.tv/products/pal_to_rgb/236.html It has 2 inputs. I'd use one for a dvd player or my PS3, and eventually I'd get a back-up camera for the other input. (I've also seen a simple audio/video switch that would enable me to switch between the 2 inputs and the navigation that I could mount/hide somewhere in the center console.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 PM

The usa spec ipod module isn't compatible. I could be wrong but it's not listed on their website and I've always heard of i35 owners returning theirs.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by trent.davis23
The usa spec ipod module isn't compatible. I could be wrong but it's not listed on their website and I've always heard of i35 owners returning theirs.
Glad I did my hack job then, lol....
Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Got Projectors?

They are a bit pricey. The one I've been looking at is $250, but I've seen several similar models on ebay for around $100. There are a few options on KPTechnology's website (http://www.kptechnologies.com) but I think those are meant for DVD navigation systems. Here's the one Im looking into: http://www.converters.tv/products/pal_to_rgb/236.html It has 2 inputs. I'd use one for a dvd player or my PS3, and eventually I'd get a back-up camera for the other input. (I've also seen a simple audio/video switch that would enable me to switch between the 2 inputs and the navigation that I could mount/hide somewhere in the center console.
PS3 would be ambitious considering the size and the heat (or at least I hear the fans working hard on mine).
Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
PS3 would be ambitious considering the size and the heat (or at least I hear the fans working hard on mine).
I've seen some cars that have their navigation disc drives hidden behind the glove box. I'd like to stick it in there if there's enough space. Mine doesn't seem to give off that much heat, so I think it would be ok in there. I keep all my vehicle docs in the glove box, so I'd try to keep it functional, too. That, or I could make some type of shelf under the rear parcel shelf like where some people have CD changers. My only concern would be rough roads. I'd almost need to make some sort of a padded or suspended shelf to cushin it.

Last edited by ZGadson; 08-04-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is anyone planning to snipe the nav unit on e-bay? If you're planning on snipping or bidding at all please let me know, I will throw a $450 bid against someone, but if it doesn't go I will wait for it to be relisted and throw a $450 max up. If anyone else is going to bid please let me know, that way if I know you'll bid higher than me I'll let you get it cheaper, and vice versa.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Is anyone planning to snipe the nav unit on e-bay? If you're planning on snipping or bidding at all please let me know, I will throw a $450 bid against someone, but if it doesn't go I will wait for it to be relisted and throw a $450 max up. If anyone else is going to bid please let me know, that way if I know you'll bid higher than me I'll let you get it cheaper, and vice versa.
You should note that it does NOT come with the cover piece that hides the screen. It took me forever to find one, and when I did, it was the wrong color and I had to paint it.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

please help

You should note that it does NOT come with the cover piece that hides the screen. It took me forever to find one, and when I did, it was the wrong color and I had to paint it.
Hey, I know this is way after the fact. I want to do something similar but I can't find pop up cover piece. What is it called?

Thanks,
Old 04-02-2011, 06:01 AM

I dont know the actual name, perhaps the FSM. This piece is very difficult to find, once in a while they are on ebay.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

new to this site...looking for a stock navi for my infiniti i35

whats going on im wondering if anyone knows where i can get the hole navi system..i have a 2003 infiniti i35 and i was to install the navi but just cant find it anywhere if anyone has any ideas on where i can find everything for me to install the navi would be great and would really appciate it alot...or if theres anything els that could be done where i can have a navi in the same spot as the stock..please get back to me if anyone got any info thanks...
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM

entire navi systems are often on ebay. there is also a member here who put an Avic double din in the dash, and added a new screen to the popup mechanism. if you search you can find it.

one thing to keep in mind, these used systems are at least 7 yrs old. I installed an OEM navi system in my I30, and have had a few problems with it. I think this is due to the age of the electronics. there are several questions on this forum about malfunctioning screen mechanisms, etc. just something to keep in mind.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Zgadson, you said you will make step by step guide a while ago, so
will you make it?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM

he's long gone. sold his I35 and bought a Mustang.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have several oem navi parts if you're interested. I too was interested in doing an oem install a few years back..P.M me your email and I'll try and send you some pics...
Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ay guys thanks alot for your answers...also i had that in mind aswell that the navi system it self is older but i was thinking maybe theres a cd that can update it or maybe i can yous a newer infiniti navi thats the same size i dunno does anyone have any ideas on what i can do...id really applicate it