Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Can I use regular gas instead of premium?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Wow I can't believe how many of you don't think things thru. You guys *really* think your "luxury" car needs premium gas? I guess a regular ole Maxima doesn't? Hello? They run the same VQ engine. It's just a standard Nissan V6, and at 190-255hp depending on your year, it is by no means "high performance". In fact, guess what Octane level GM says is okay to use in the new 400hp Corvette? You got it - 87. (They recommend 91 for best performance, but say it is okay to run it at 87 or higher). http://www.c6registry.com/Technical/2005OM.pdf If a C6 Corvette doesn't need premium, our little ole Infiniti's surely do not need it either.

I can personally attest to the fact that (1) your car will not get better gas mileage, (2) will not "go faster" and (3) will not run any smoother on premium.

Save yourselves $3-$5 at the pump. Just try it. If you switch to regular and you don't hear engine knock or ping after a month, you're fine. Don't worry about gunk or build-up. Just put some cleaner in every couple thousand miles if you're that **** about it. Besides, we're all gonna need the extra money when gas goes up another $1/gal before the summer's over.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:37 AM

Before my I bought my car from my dad he was using regular. I was getting 12!!!!mpg. I started puting premium in it and it got around 15-17 mpg. I'm thinking I have to change the knock sensors for there to be a real change
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 PM

Back to the beginning, an extra $3.50 once in a while is nothing, but every tankful gets expensive real fast....

Birken
Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 PM

gas in San Francisco hits $4.90 now...
Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 91" Nissan Maxima GXE gives me better MPG, AND RUNS MUCH SMOOTHER RUNNING ON PREMIUM FUEL. BUT ETHANOL IS A KILLER FOR MAXIMA'S SO WATCH OUT AT THE PUMP! SHELL STATION'S IS A NO NO LOL. BUT YEA PREMIUM IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT IS THE WAY TO GO FOR YOU MAXIMA AND FURTHER MORE FOR YOU INFINITI BECAUSE I KNOW IF IT MAKES MY MAXIMA RUN BRAND NEW THEN IT'LL DO EVEN BETTER FOR YOU INFINITI! AND ANOTHER THING IF I MUST SAY AGAIN ETHANOL IS A KILLER FOR YOU GAS MILEAGE!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by brio_max
Also your MPG should be little bit better when using premium, so it's worthless switching to regular. Just a thought
One would think so, but I've found the opposite. I have a 2000 Infiniti and have been running 87 octane in it for the past couple months. When using 91 octane (highest around here), I get 300 miles to the tank. With 87 octane fuel, I regularly get 320-330 miles to the tank. I fill up every 4 days as well and have an 80 mile round trip commute every day.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by slag
One would think so, but I've found the opposite. I have a 2000 Infiniti and have been running 87 octane in it for the past couple months. When using 91 octane (highest around here), I get 300 miles to the tank. With 87 octane fuel, I regularly get 320-330 miles to the tank. I fill up every 4 days as well and have an 80 mile round trip commute every day.
Well, i don't know what to say That's a not a small difference in MPG. You say you used the 87 octane couple months ago. So that means during the winter :O
Where are you located?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 PM

I have used 87 89 91 and 93 on my 2000 Maxima. 89 and 91 makes NO difference to me performance wise. With 93, acceleration is much smoother and I got 30-31mpg driving to NJ beach (65-70mph). In Philadelphia, 87 cost $4.04, 89 $4.12, 91 $4.19, and 93 $4.24. Notice the difference between anything after 89 is very minimal. IMO if your not going to get 93, don't bother with 89 or 91.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:03 PM

I run 91 octane (mid grade) now and get the same gas milage and performance as when I used high test. Maybe the members that call us cheap for saving $4.00 bucks a tank should, themselves, step up to 100+ octane aviation gas and maybe get 100 mpg, be able to reach 200 mph, and have 1000 hp. Just a joke!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 PM

i dont care what anyone says about anything. Use the best stuff you can get. Whats 3$ in savings at the pump? 3 double cheeseburgers at mcdonalds? I use 91 octane on the sr20ve, 91 octane on the vq30 and 91 octane in the vq35

only the best for my *****es
Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 AM

My car has been filled up with regular gas since new, with midgrade and premium fill-ups here and there... No real difference.
Save the money for carwashes...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM

i am using 91 all the way, and only 20cent difference....so its not a big deal.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:05 PM

I agree with that. 20 cent at $4.50/gal is only 4% or so. When gas was $2.00/gal, that was 10% higher.

If the KS set the timing back due to 87 octane, then at 4% will go real fast.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by SVI30
I agree with that. 20 cent at $4.50/gal is only 4% or so. When gas was $2.00/gal, that was 10% higher.

If the KS set the timing back due to 87 octane, then at 4% will go real fast.
I really dont think the price will go down to $2.00, anyways.
I will be happy if the price can drop to $3,00
Old 08-14-2008, 03:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've used premium and regular both but i've been using regular lately. Never had a problem with regular, i really can't tell that much of a difference and never had my cel come on.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It says you can use lower octane in the users manual

Look for yourself:
http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/i...anual_2000.pdf

It says that you should use 87 octane or higher in general but at high altitudes you can use as low as 85.

Here is an excerpt or two:
FUEL RECOMMENDATION:
Unleaded premium gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock
Index) number (Research octane number
96).
If unleaded premium gasoline is not available,
unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 87 AKI (Research octane
number 91) can be used.
However, for maximum vehicle performance,
the use of unleaded premium
gasoline is recommended.
CAUTION
Using a fuel other than that specified
could adversely affect the emission
control devices and systems, and
could also affect the warranty coverage.
Under no circumstances should a
leaded gasoline be used, since this
will damage the three way catalyst.

Octane rating tips
In most parts of North America, you should
use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of
at least 87 or 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index)
number. However, you may use unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating as low as 85
AKI number in these high altitude areas [over
4,000 ft (1,219 m)] such as: Colorado, Montana,
New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, northeastern
Nevada, southern Idaho, western South
Dakota, western Nebraska, and that part of
Texas which is directly south of New Mexico.
Using unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating lower than stated above can
cause persistent, heavy spark knock.
(Spark knock is a metallic rapping
noise.) If severe, this can lead to engine
damage. If you detect a persistent heavy
spark knock even when using gasoline
of the stated octane rating, or if you hear
steady spark knock while holding a
steady speed on level roads, have your
retailer correct the condition. Failure to
correct the condition is misuse of the vehicle,
for which INFINITI is not responsible.
Incorrect ignition timing will result in knocking,
after-run or overheating. This in turn may
cause excessive fuel consumption or damage
to the engine. If any of the above symptoms
are encountered, have your vehicle checked at
an INFINITI retailer or other competent service
facility.
However, now and then you may notice
light spark knock for a short time while
accelerating or driving up hills. This is
no cause for concern, because you get
the greatest fuel benefit when there is
light spark knock for a short time under
heavy engine load.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

regular and premium gas in my 2001 infiniti i30t

Hey, I was wondering if this is relate and if you guys could help me out. So the person I bought the 2001 infiniti i30t from had previously been using regular 87 octane gas in the car (despite the fact that it requires 91 octane or above). He said that the car back in the summer (july) had a misfire in cylinder #6 and I automatically attributed that to the fact that he was using regular which made the engine retard rather than run normally on rhythm, he said the problem just went away one day and since hasnt come back. I recieved the car one full tank of 87 octane gas and last night it finsihed and i filled it up with 91 octane premium gas and drove 41 miles on it today(when i filled it up, I put roughly 15.8 gallons of premium in an 18.5 gallon tank, meaning there probably was some residual 87 gas left.
Point is, 20 minutes ago, I started the engine and it was rough and slightly jerky on idle, the check engine light, traction control and slip lights all came on. It felt the same way you would feel if you had terrible rotors and you were breaking, or as though you were driving on a really bumpy road.
Could it be that my engine had adjusted to the regular gas being used by the previous owner and by adjusting im implying the engine reatrds and gets used to it if thats even possible.
ps. I just turned it on and its back to normal but im not sure if its going to stay that way, and the Check engine light came on and i havnt had the chance to check the code.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 PM

If you can't afford premium don't by a premium car. You will cause damage and you will get worse gas milage if you use low grade fuel.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by burgy
If you can't afford premium don't by a premium car. You will cause damage and you will get worse gas milage if you use low grade fuel.
Totally Agree, cars the require premium cars are not cars you just come across, they are cars for the passionate and if your passionate about your car, the least you could do is buy one less coffee every fill up and put that money towards gas
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 PM

yea sam here..i habe topped off my car twice b4 because i really needed the gas and 87 was all there was at the pump..well my engine would have rough starts rough accel and my cel came on both times...i stick to 89 all tho here in irving we have 93...but yea 87 IS A BIG NO NO
Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
dude. the difference between the cheapo stuff and the best stuff is like 20 cents a gallon. so lets say you put 16 gallons in your car. thats an extra $3.20.....

on top of the fact that every 4th gen nissan vehicle recommends premium gas, there is also an overwhelming concensus on the org that its generally a better idea, even if the effects are minimal.

so dont be frugal and go spend the extra 3.50 to put the best gas in your car.

you cant spare three dollars? then you shouldnt be driving anyway.
Agreed its better the good stuff when I put regular one time that **** went down like nothing with premium I get to drive quick and slow still seems to get the same mileage to me!!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I put the non-oxy gas in my I-30 when I have the chance, it seems to run a lot smoother and I get better gas mileage. Granted it costs 10 cents over premium, but I think it is worth it. I notice that when I am filling it up, there are a lot of higher end cars filling up with the same fuel as well.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM

Haha I have read a couple long comments that have summarized how there is no big difference between 87 and premium, and yet the debate is still going on.

My Infiniti has used 87 for most of the 180k miles it has been driven. Car runs fine for meh on that octane as well.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 AM

I usually use 89 octane gasoline without problems, 87 did make mine knock (I35) and I can't stand it. Just test it out and see what works for you, if you don't hear/see/feel any issues then save some money.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by moohendischi
Hey, I was wondering if this is relate and if you guys could help me out. So the person I bought the 2001 infiniti i30t from had previously been using regular 87 octane gas in the car (despite the fact that it requires 91 octane or above). He said that the car back in the summer (july) had a misfire in cylinder #6 and I automatically attributed that to the fact that he was using regular which made the engine retard rather than run normally on rhythm, he said the problem just went away one day and since hasnt come back. I recieved the car one full tank of 87 octane gas and last night it finsihed and i filled it up with 91 octane premium gas and drove 41 miles on it today(when i filled it up, I put roughly 15.8 gallons of premium in an 18.5 gallon tank, meaning there probably was some residual 87 gas left.
Point is, 20 minutes ago, I started the engine and it was rough and slightly jerky on idle, the check engine light, traction control and slip lights all came on. It felt the same way you would feel if you had terrible rotors and you were breaking, or as though you were driving on a really bumpy road.
Could it be that my engine had adjusted to the regular gas being used by the previous owner and by adjusting im implying the engine reatrds and gets used to it if thats even possible.
ps. I just turned it on and its back to normal but im not sure if its going to stay that way, and the Check engine light came on and i havnt had the chance to check the code.
its pretty well known for coilpacks to go bad on these cars...mine soemtimes at start up, and lately at the end of a trip, skips..but it will usually even itself out, and i've used 93 octane since day 1, so its not related to the gas, its a pretty common problem. i hope this helps
Old 12-02-2010, 03:06 PM

The 3.5 liter is definately a premium engine and you will have troubles if you run anything else. The 3.0 liter may be a different story
Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by phatboislim
its pretty well known for coilpacks to go bad on these cars...mine soemtimes at start up, and lately at the end of a trip, skips..but it will usually even itself out, and i've used 93 octane since day 1, so its not related to the gas, its a pretty common problem. i hope this helps
Yea I bought a new duralast ignition coil for cylinder 4 and put it in about 4 days ago (took me no more than 10 mins) I drove about 120 miles on it and it seems perfect. Also the Cel lights for the ignition coil and the cylinder 4 misfire never came back after I cleared it. Thanks for the input!
nice max btw!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would stick with premium because I have found that I get better mileage with premium.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Can this thread get locked? Its so stupid. If u cant afford the gas dont buy the car.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Can this thread get locked? Its so stupid. If u cant afford the gas dont buy the car.
What kind of gas?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM

WOW!!! AT-LEAST ONE PERSON IN THIS WHOLE THREAD KNOWS WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT! - I CAME TO THIS FORUM TO ASK FOR ADVICE BUT AFTER READING THIS THREAD IM SCARED TO EVEN ASK
Originally Posted by 2da mizzax

Please dont tell anyone that. "Premium" gas makes you faster, stronger and everything else under the sun. Its amazing how marketing can fool people into thinking anything.

Regular gas is fine. Maintain your car and you should have little to no problems. Make sure your EGR is clean (to help keep chamber temps lower) and you run some system cleaner through the engine once in a while. Congrats to the guys that actually knew that higher octance = harder to ignite. I always have a hard time explaining to people this fact.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I love the "which gas is better" question! Its almost as much fun as "which oil is the best"

Funny, although I personally dont think theres any difference between 87 and 93 - except the extra 25 cents a gallon - I always run 93 in my I. But, when I had a Maxima (with the SAME VQ30 engine) I NEVER put anything but the cheap stuff in. Why? I dunno. Probably the same reason everyone else on the thread does - just feels better running hi-test in my baby!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM

I would recommend using 93
From my experience, I used 87 for about 4-5 month and just now switched back to 93. Its true that your car will not get worse if you run 87, but you will definately see performance difference when going to 93 from 87. I saw the difference instantly
Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 PM

Stick to what the Nissan manual says. Everyone in here has different opinions, stories, etc, so it will be hard getting a straight answer.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by brio_max
Well, i don't know what to say That's a not a small difference in MPG. You say you used the 87 octane couple months ago. So that means during the winter :O
Where are you located?
I use 93 and get 390-410 miles per tank. That's highway miles on really hilly roads.

All of you getting 300 miles per fill up are just wasting money lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Metallica
Stick to what the Nissan manual says. Everyone in here has different opinions, stories, etc, so it will be hard getting a straight answer.
This is absolutely correct.

Replaced the 2 precats, IACV, MAF, used BG440k in the tank and Seafoam in the brake booster. Cleaned my TB. Get 400 miles per fill up on a 2001 I30 with 133000 miles.

For the record, previous owner only used premium.

As I read this thread, I see a lot of ignorance. Especially those who are making the maxima and i30 sound like two different cars.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Diamond Joe
I love the "which gas is better" question! Its almost as much fun as "which oil is the best"

Funny, although I personally dont think theres any difference between 87 and 93 - except the extra 25 cents a gallon - I always run 93 in my I. But, when I had a Maxima (with the SAME VQ30 engine) I NEVER put anything but the cheap stuff in. Why? I dunno. Probably the same reason everyone else on the thread does - just feels better running hi-test in my baby!
It isn't what's better or worse. As previously mentioned, the 400HP Corvette takes 87.

It is a matter of what fuel the engine was engineered for.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 PM

Premium is what your Infiniti deserves, I've used it since day one.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:39 PM

Always preumium, even if that means not eating any dinner for a week
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM

interesting stuff, Heres my 2 bits
I am a stickler for MPG/cost so i spent 3 months just figuring out best grade to use for the car (98 I30) with regular i was getting around 22 MPG combined on premium i was getting around 24 combined with the diferance in price factored in it was a wash neather gave a benifit in MPG v cost however the small boost in acceleration put me in favor of premium.

On a side note when i filled up on a (premium special day) they take 0.05 to 0.15 off the price of premium it was more cost effective to use premium then regular.

if you REALY want to save gas in these time
clean out your trunk, so yea toss the kicker get rid of the cooler full of junk and that bag of 2 year old doritos. chaing your oil AND the coolant check air pressure and you will see much more improvmant in MPG then the grade of gas

Quick Reply: Can I use regular gas instead of premium?