Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

About to receive/replace new KS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 AM

About to receive/replace new KS

This is sort of "closing the gate after the horse left the barn" but I have a knock sensor on the way from an e-bay seller.

Any issues with them?

Also, I'm reading from stickies and other discussion that my particular model should not be all that difficult to change out. Just a long extension with a swivel attachment and a 13mm (I think) socket. Can I get a quick sentence on where exactly I'll find this sensor?

BTW: I'm replacing it because the CEL is on & that's what the code came up as. I don't remember the exact wording though. It's also the second time it's come up in a couple of months. The first time I got the AutoZone dude to reset the light for me.

Despite what the code says it is, ...is there any possibility that the sensor is actually not the culprit in this case?

In summary:

- Any issues with them?
- Can I get a quick sentence on where exactly I'll find this sensor?
- Is there any possibility that the sensor is actually not the culprit?

Thanks in advance I brethren!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

1.) The KS will not st off the CEL on its own. Typically it(CEL) is triggered by an associating O2 sensor code. IMO, get them both replaced. These cars are showing their age, and odds are they're both out or both on their way out.

2.) I have heard nothing bad re: eBay Nissan KS sellers, so consider yourself lucky if you got a good deal.

3.) Do a very quick search in the 4th gen forum and you will see exactly where it is.

4.) You CAN check your own ECU codes for free if you have a flathead screwdriver. Check the 4th gen forums for that, particularly the stickys.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Armed and Dangerous

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/507

This will give you a good idea of where the sensor is located. The extension and swivel method works best. Be careful of the corners of the head gasket when sticking your hands down in there... they are really sharp.

There is the remote possiblity that it is not the sensor itself, but just the harness.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 AM

Thanks again.... I did the replacement. That was a tight fit! Holy Shiznit that's tough. I was about to give up when I found some leverage with a long spike. I used it to leverage a closed ended wrench towards loosening the 12mm bolt. I was able to get my whole hand in there to replace the new one too and used a little masking tape to keep the bolt in place as it went in. I also cleaned the contacts as the link that i30ds gave suggested. (thanks!)

Next up is the recommended o2 sensors. (thanks Nmexmax) He's got a good point in that after 150K miles they ought to be changed. The assdyno didn't really notice a change in power from the KS swap this morning but I have noticed a decrease in power up to the swap. I use the highest octane available at each & every fill up, so that aint it.

I'm gonna try some injector cleaner & will also clean the throttle body ...but I'm also wondering who's got the o2 sensors I need. AutoZone wants no less than $70 for the after-cat one & 85 or so for each of the pre cat ones.

Summary:
- Can I safely go e-bay again for the three o2 sensors as far as you know or do I need to seek out OEM or another acceptible replacement?

- Do I need to do all 3?

- If so, how much of a pain is it to do all 3 and do I need any special tools?

- Is all of this already written up somewhere here ...and I just need to go find it? Apologies in advance if so...(it's been a nutz week!)

(Update.) I saw the motorvate info on the o2 sensor & they did tnot describe a pia situation to temove them, so I'll see about getting some from the site they mentioned.

Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Get the O2 sensors from oxygensensors.com

You'll need an O2 sensor socket too.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Double E
Despite what the code says it is, ...is there any possibility that the sensor is actually not the culprit in this case?

Yes........ To many possibilties to list actually.......anything that will induce knock....... including not running premium........and the .org, the .org stickies, motorvate's site, and especially the fsm is not as clear on this as it should be...... tapping the damn intake manifold with a ratchet while the engine is running or even having a loose alternator can cause this code......... It's when the code comes back instantly without driving and a resistance check at the sub-harness confirms a bad ks that you want to go ahead and do it.........

yeah, oxygensensors.com ftmfw