Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

M45

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:57 PM

M45

I was thinking today, instead of buying all these mods like exhaust/suspenion/paint, why not invest in something fast. No im not going to buy an M45 but i was think of doing an M45 engine swap. Now my question is, will the engine bay of the I30 be about to hold the 4.5L 340hp engine?....Will i have to make some ajustments?....And has anyone ever done this?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 PM
大陆弟弟

Wow, I don't even know where to start with this one. I will just say M45 is RWD, I30s are FWD.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
Wow, I don't even know where to start with this one. I will just say M45 is RWD, I30s are FWD.
im converting my car to RWD sometime over the summer because FWD IS FTL
Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Isn't that a girl's name?

Good luck with that.

Originally Posted by ZOMG Teh Penorz
I'm going to quote that for future reference while not actually expecting to see the job completed.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Got Projectors?

Holy Sh*t. I didn't know people like this still existed.

EDIT: I'll take some pity. Abandon this idea right here, right now, unless you're prepared to be laughed off the forums. Save yourself some time, money, and embarrassment, and find someone who knows what they're doing to either install an S/C for you or swap to a 3.5L if you don't want to go the bolt-on route. That or just buy another car.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 AM

You want rear-wheel. You want the 4.5L v8. Hmmmmm??? And why wouldn't you just buy an M45? If it is even possible, something tells me the money and time you would invest in said swap would be more than splurging for an M45.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Holy Sh*t. I didn't know people like this still existed.

EDIT: I'll take some pity. Abandon this idea right here, right now, unless you're prepared to be laughed off the forums. Save yourself some time, money, and embarrassment, and find someone who knows what they're doing to either install an S/C for you or swap to a 3.5L if you don't want to go the bolt-on route. That or just buy another car.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by n3985
Thats pretty much what people said the first couple times people asked "Can I put the 95-99 Turbo Eclipse Engine + entire AWD drivetrain in my 95-00 Dodge Avenger?"

They said "No, your stupid just because your Avenger has the 420A engine just like the non-turbo Eclipse doesn't mean your car is an eclipse let alone a turbo eclipse." "Just turbo your car, you will never have AWD" WELL There is 4 or 5 of them floating around RIGHT NOW, It's a reality and we call them a "Dodge Avenger GSX"

When people with the V6 Automatic Avengers asked "Can I swap to a 5-speed even though these cars never came factory equipped that way" People said "NO!!! YOU CAN'T DO IT...... The crank position sensor is BUILT-IN to your a604 automatic.... Even if you bolt up a 5-speed what is your ECU gonna do with no crank position sensor??"

They are fixing that now too. They are gonna use the A543 Dodge Daytona 5-speed manual transmission and a "crank trigger wheel" to fix not having the crank sensor in there anymore. They will be able to use their stock ECU and stock axles even. 7 years after the last year the Avenger was in production....... probably took so long because of a bunch of sticks in the mud like yourself.

Chris
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by ZOMG Teh Penorz
You don't know whether a V8 will fit in place of your V6, and yet you're 100% sure you can just convert your car to RWD? Doesn't that sound backwards to you?
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not even saying this swap is possible, but is there no one that will even entertain it instead of just shooting it down (with little to no information about why.........?)

And dare I say, ANYTHING is possible with the right tools, parts, and a welder!!!

How do you explain the above? (I again used the Avenger as an example) So we've gone from FWD in stock form to AWD to RWD.

Chris
Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 AM

I honestly have no idea how a job like this would be done, but what I do know is, the cost and time involved would probably be way more than its worth. If you're willing to invest that much, why not just get a different car?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:52 AM

There's also been at least one RWD conversion of a Nissan Primera (aka Infiniti G20).
Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by clayman88
I honestly have no idea how a job like this would be done, but what I do know is, the cost and time involved would probably be way more than its worth. If you're willing to invest that much, why not just get a different car?
From the DONOR car he would need at least the Engine, Transmission, Entire engine wiring harness, ECU, the driveshaft from the tranny to the back (and clearance for it), The transfer case at the back, Entire suspension+hub+axles assembly from the rear wheels of the M45 (and whether or not it would bolt on to the I30)

And I'm sure I even left some out of that

It's VERY involved. I'm just saying recognize whether or not it would be possible instead of just shooting it down, you know?

Chris
Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MattB85
There's also been at least one RWD conversion of a Nissan Primera (aka Infiniti G20).
BIG difference. They used the P10 Primera AWD setup which came STOCK on some P10's overseas. So the G20 had most if not all of the underbody setup for it, minus the AWD mechanicals themselves.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Okay. Time to be understanding of the uninitiated.

The M45's engine is a 4.5L V8 from 2004+ designed to be mounted longitudinally. The I30's engine is a 3.0L V6 from 2000 designed to be mounted transversely. So, at a minimum, you'll need to:

- Rip apart massive chunks of the engine bay to fit the engine
- Custom-fabricate motor mounts and probably a subframe
- Either run a standalone engine management system or figure out some way to mate the M45's ECU to the Maxima's electronics

If you try to keep the FWD layout, you'll also need to custom-fabricate a bellhousing or adapter to mate the engine to the I30's transmission, rip out the front strut towers and front subframe, relocate the entire front suspension, and get some custom driveshafts made.

If you want to convert to RWD, you can keep the M45's transmission (good luck getting THAT to work with your Frankenstein engine management). But, to accommodate the running gear, you would have to cut most of the firewall and the entire floor and rear suspension out of the car and either rebuild them from scratch or cobble together bits from other cars.

Possible? Hell yes.

Remotely easy?

Worth it? Your call. After all that time, effort, and money, the car still won't perform or handle at anywhere near the level of what you could have bought new for the same price. Doing it with FWD would make your front-heavy FWD car even more front-heavy, and if you do a RWD conversion you'll be lucky if you even manage to keep some trunk space and rear seat room after all that floor cutting and rear suspension reconstruction. Either way, the car's performance AND practicality will BOTH be sub-par. So what's the point?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

If you have to ask if it can be done, then basicly, you can't do it.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by B13Sentra2DR
I'm not even saying this swap is possible, but is there no one that will even entertain it instead of just shooting it down (with little to no information about why.........?)

And dare I say, ANYTHING is possible with the right tools, parts, and a welder!!!

How do you explain the above? (I again used the Avenger as an example) So we've gone from FWD in stock form to AWD to RWD.

Chris
Jesus dude, no one will entertain it cause it can't be done. No how, no way, what so ever. Nobody cares about the avenger example, it is just not feasibile on an A32 or A33. You have no idea how much this has been beaten to death.

And with that said, this thread is done.