Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra vs. Philips Nightguide vs. GE Nighthawk

Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra vs. Philips Nightguide vs. GE Nighthawk

All three of these are upgrade bulbs from high-quality manufacturers and are designed to do more than just look blue. Does anybody have any experience with them and can comment on their merits? Everyone says the original Silverstars blow out quickly but I had a set that lasted more than two years in my old G20...

And don't tell me "just get an HID kit". I know they're better and I would like one, but I'm just trying to get a feel for the upgraded halogen bulbs out there first.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 PM
大陆弟弟

The GE Nighthawk is popular on HIDplanet.com, as is Philips Xtreme and Plus. The Ultras are just bluer than regular Silverstars, not brighter. Also, try Euro Osram Silverstars, they are very good.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've always had a problem with Sylvania SilverStars. They give off a nice light, but they don't last very long. I went through two sets of SilverStars in a year on my wife's car. If you go on the Sylvania website, it even says they have a shorter-than-average expected life. I don't have any experience with the SilverStar Ultras, so maybe those have a better expected life than the originals.

After the second set of SilverStars, I installed MTEC 4X Super White bulbs and I am very happy with them. They are cheaper than SilverStars (on eBay), give off a better and whiter light, and come with a lifetime warranty. I really think that they are the closest you're going to get to a HID look without getting HIDs.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Got Projectors?

I would suggest looking into HIR bulbs if you want a true upgrade in terms of lighting performance.

Discussed a little here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=513825
Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 PM

Ths SliverStars go too quick(3 sets of headlights and 2 sets of fogs in 7months). They do give out great light, so I got a set of the Ultra's. Says right on the package " Up to 30% more life vs. SilverStars". We shall see.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by gakary54
Ths SliverStars go too quick(3 sets of headlights and 2 sets of fogs in 7months). They do give out great light, so I got a set of the Ultra's. Says right on the package " Up to 30% more life vs. SilverStars". We shall see.
huh?i had my silverstars for two years until i got my cefiros installed.

then i switched to regular sylvanias- which gives out okay light, but leaves me wanting much much more.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:36 PM

I found this on another forum. This is a customer service reply from Sylvania to someone that complained to them about the short life of SilverStars.

Thank you for your inquiry, and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience the failure of these SilverStars may have caused you. Due to the performance of the SilverStar, it does have the shortest life of any of our product upgrades. The shorter life span is directly related to the performance nature of the lamps. The blue absorption coating on the glass contributes to the crisp white light emitted, but also traps heat inside the capsule, causing the filament to burn out more quickly, thus decreasing the life. As with most high performance products, there is a trade-off between the higher performance and the life hours, unfortunately. The SilverStar product works harder (not burns hotter, however) to give the whiter, brighter light and this impacts the life hours. The life expectancy of a SilverStar halogen light source is dependent on the driver's use of the lights, which vary by season, time of day and number of miles driven. We estimate the SilverStar halogen lights to have a life span of up to one year under average driving conditions. The life of the SilverStar is further decreased if being used in a day-time running light application.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by embraer
I found this on another forum. This is a customer service reply from Sylvania to someone that complained to them about the short life of SilverStars.

Thank you for your inquiry, and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience the failure of these SilverStars may have caused you. Due to the performance of the SilverStar, it does have the shortest life of any of our product upgrades. The shorter life span is directly related to the performance nature of the lamps. The blue absorption coating on the glass contributes to the crisp white light emitted, but also traps heat inside the capsule, causing the filament to burn out more quickly, thus decreasing the life. As with most high performance products, there is a trade-off between the higher performance and the life hours, unfortunately. The SilverStar product works harder (not burns hotter, however) to give the whiter, brighter light and this impacts the life hours. The life expectancy of a SilverStar halogen light source is dependent on the driver's use of the lights, which vary by season, time of day and number of miles driven. We estimate the SilverStar halogen lights to have a life span of up to one year under average driving conditions. The life of the SilverStar is further decreased if being used in a day-time running light application.
Yeah, I got the same thing when I requested a refund from them. I guess it's just luck of the draw, but if the company is admitting to it maybe it's the rule, not the exception. Oh, and add another set of fogs to my list.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM

I use Silverstars on all of my vehicles and have for the last 5 years. I love the look. The life isn't GREAT; I would say that the average life is about one year or so. New bulbs are only ~$20 so it's not a big deal to me.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 AM

I have Sylvania Ultra's installed on my 97 max, check this link for the break down

it goes a little something like this from the Sylvania lineup:
XtraVision X -- like OEM yellowish but brighter
Coolblue -- Blue
SilverStar -- mostly white wit hsome blue
Ultra -- completely White

The next time i get halogens ill try the Xtravisions, they are softer on ur eyes and better at night in the snow and rain, the Ultras kinda suck in those particular conditions, but are awesome at night in good conditions
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM

I've only been through 2 sets of Silverstars on my Nissan over the last 5 years.....

I was going to get the Silverstar Ultra's till ya'll mentioned that the Ultra's only have a color difference...Maybe I'll try the Mtecs or GE Nighthawks...

Jeremy
Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 AM

I had the Silverstars on for about 3 days before i returned them, i did not notice much difference between the ultras and the silverstars, thus i cannot justify the price difference.

Dont get me wrong the ultras are VERY BRIGHT in good weather, just that they suck on snow and rain at night