Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Has anyone done an A33 6MT HLSD swap? (I am the mod. If repost- sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Has anyone done an A33 6MT HLSD swap? (I am the mod. If repost- sorry)

I don't plan on doing it, but I was curious if it had been done. I love the A33 I35 body style, but I am stuck on MTs. I was just wondering if anyone on here had done it.

Obviously it is no different, mechanically, than doing so on an A33 maxima, but I don't read every thread and search turns up 47,892 grille swaps...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I believe the fact that I35's use a foot actuated parking brake vs. the Maxima's hand brake is a concern. That would have to be changed over to the Max style as well as the center console plastics. I've not heard of anyone doing it to an I35 yet.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Got Projectors?

To my knowledge it hasn't been done.

AFAIK, one of the first (or few) 5.5 gen Maxima AT to 6MT conversions occurred only recently. To read the posts related to it, it seemed to be a huge headache and take a great deal of time. Though I'm sure most of that has to do with being the first to go down that road.

But yeah, Teksurv is right. You'd have to convert to Maxima console/handbrake. Plus, I wonder if the 6MT ECU from the Max would work in the I35 (or whether the AT ECU can still be used) and how VDC might be affected (if done on a sport model).
Old 03-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Seems to be the prevailing thought...

AFAIK, one of the first (or few) 5.5 gen Maxima AT to 6MT conversions occurred only recently. To read the posts related to it, it seemed to be a huge headache and take a great deal of time. Though I'm sure most of that has to do with being the first to go down that road.
Likely.

You'd have to convert to Maxima console/handbrake.
That'd be easy, IF the lower dash and the front of the I35 console match- and you'd think that they would (of course, you'd think that they'd use handbrakes on all A33s, as well...).

Plus, I wonder if the 6MT ECU from the Max would work in the I35 (or whether the AT ECU can still be used) and how VDC might be affected (if done on a sport model).
VDC? If I had to guess, I'd say that you'd want to use the 6MT Maxima ECU...

This might be a fun project if you could find an I35 on eBay or craigslist or somewhere with a blown tranny...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
That'd be easy, IF the lower dash and the front of the I35 console match- and you'd think that they would (of course, you'd think that they'd use handbrakes on all A33s, as well...).

VDC? If I had to guess, I'd say that you'd want to use the 6MT Maxima ECU...

VDC = Nissan's flavor of electronic stability control (think it stands for something like Vehicle Dynamic Control?). More invasive than TCS. But probably not an issue. It was only found on Sport Package cars (so, 02-03) and seems that most I35s were non-sport.

As for the dash and all matching, I don't know for sure that it would. The dash opening on the I is slightly wider than the 5th gen, thus part of the reason we can't use the Maxima dash kits when installing aftermarket stereos. You'd think (and in your case, hope) that it matches at the bottom where it meets the shifter console, but I really don't know. I know from eyeballing my buddy's '02 GLE that his seemed narrower to me.

Also, with regards to the ECU - I seem to recall some of the 5th gen/4th gen VQ30 guys (pre e-throttle) doing the AT to MT conversion while retaining the AT ECU, though it threw some codes. Don't hold me to that though.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Somebody should man up and embark on the endeavour... I'd love to see it.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by i30ds
Somebody should man up and embark on the endeavour... I'd love to see it.
At the end of the year, I am upsizing from the Sentra. I'd do it if I had a backup car to drive while I tried it, but right now I don't have the cash to buy the busted I35 as a starting point.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
At the end of the year, I am upsizing from the Sentra. I'd do it if I had a backup car to drive while I tried it, but right now I don't have the cash to buy the busted I35 as a starting point.
Damn! It would be absolutely awsome if you did.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 AM

But yeah, Teksurv is right. You'd have to convert to Maxima console/handbrake. Plus, I wonder if the 6MT ECU from the Max would work in the I35 (or whether the AT ECU can still be used) and how VDC might be affected (if done on a sport model).
U have a link to that post???
Old 03-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by VQ20
U have a link to that post???
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=470737
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=471447
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=511326
Old 03-08-2007, 07:53 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Sorry for the late post. I have already contacted maximum tuning about the 6 speed swap. People always think that the I35 and Maxima are similar because they are both A33s but they are not.

The section from the shifter to the armrest will be complicated, not to mention the missing hand brake since we have the foot brake. Then, we have the electronic dash that different than a maxima. Jeff at maxima tuning said we would probably be better off switching to a 5 spd manual instead of 6spd. They have done the A33 5psd swap into a 3.5. Price was around 2,$$$.

If i decide to keep the car after it's paid off, then I may do the swap since I am bored with the car now. I was looking at getting a 6spd G35 (though the 6s[d is not out around my way). The one thing that I like about the I35 is how much nicer the interior is over the newer Infinitis and Nissans. I had a new 2007 g35x loaner for a week and was unimpressed with the characteristics of the car. Rubber buttons, plastic misalligned dash, no leather on the doors. The steering was way off from my 03 G35. Anyway, rant mode off....I wish someone can start the manual project on a I35/I30 so, I can see how this would be done. I want a manual car so bad after driving my brothers car around for about two weeks.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

This will also be a great PLUS for my mods, since I can't take a 02-03 6spd maxima down with the same mods i have. I have more performance mods than some of my friends 6spds maximas and I still get my A$$ handed to me after 2nd gear.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Armed and Dangerous

If you were to run the auto ecu the immobilizer is a non-issue. I don't see how the timing ring on the 5.5 auto flex plate could have a different tooth pattern than the timing ring on the 5.5 manual flywheel... It just does not make sense to me why that would be the case. I don't even know why that would be an issue since you can't use the auto timing ring anyways as it is riveted on to the flex plate. This means you have to use a manual flywheel timing ring which is welded on the flywheel that you are already using.

My guess is that maybe they did not splice the p/n switch wires, but that is such an obvious step that you would think they would have taken care of it... I don't know what the problem is there.

Since the frame of the I and the Maxima are identical, running the center console mounted parking brake should not be an issue. Would also have to throw on the Maxima center console and quite possibly the entire dash and accessories in order to get it to fit.

Installing a Maxima gauge cluster would be a good idea as well, since the two are different.

Then, of course, you have to weld on the manual motor mount onto the frame... I could see that being a real b!tch.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by leeI35
Sorry for the late post. I have already contacted maximum tuning about the 6 speed swap. People always think that the I35 and Maxima are similar because they are both A33s but they are not.

The section from the shifter to the armrest will be complicated, not to mention the missing hand brake since we have the foot brake. Then, we have the electronic dash that different than a maxima. Jeff at maxima tuning said we would probably be better off switching to a 5 spd manual instead of 6spd. They have done the A33 5psd swap into a 3.5. Price was around 2,$$$.

If i decide to keep the car after it's paid off, then I may do the swap since I am bored with the car now. I was looking at getting a 6spd G35 (though the 6s[d is not out around my way). The one thing that I like about the I35 is how much nicer the interior is over the newer Infinitis and Nissans. I had a new 2007 g35x loaner for a week and was unimpressed with the characteristics of the car. Rubber buttons, plastic misalligned dash, no leather on the doors. The steering was way off from my 03 G35. Anyway, rant mode off....I wish someone can start the manual project on a I35/I30 so, I can see how this would be done. I want a manual car so bad after driving my brothers car around for about two weeks.
You sound like a great candidate for the swap. You like the interior/exterior of what you have, and it sounds like having a manual trans would allow you to keep enjoying the I35 for at least a couple more years. The cost of the swap is far less than a new car payment, and your car would truly be unique.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Armed and Dangerous

It turns out that the Hoooper swap was having starting issues due to something being stuck on the timing ring and thus the POS crank sensor could not get a proper reading... I KNEW there was something fishy going on.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 AM

Actually they did come with a regular handbrake option like most cars. Let me explain, the JDM cefiro's/maxima's same as your guys I35's came with both option of a regular e-brake and footbrake. The center console between the shifter and handrest is different, cup holder lengthways(north 2 south) as opposed to(left to right) to accommodate the handbrake on the left side, bearing in mind we talking bout a RHD car here. will see if i could get some pics up.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

I have more performance mods than some of my friends 6spds maximas and I still get my A$$ handed to me after 2nd gear
You need an extended rev limit and a better IM to exploit it.

Originally Posted by IeeI35
Jeff at maxima tuning said we would probably be better off switching to a 5 spd manual instead of 6spd.
Did he have any reasoning to this?