Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Installed Yellow Foglight Capsules...and LED license plate light pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Got Projectors?

Installed Yellow Foglight Capsules...and LED license plate light pics

I did the license plate lights like a month ago, but just now got around to taking pictures. License plate pics now up!

But I do have pics of the yellow capsules installed. I know many of you have done it, but I just finally did it this morning after having had the suckers for over a year now.

Full album link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/metaorbit/MiscLighting

For any one interested in doing it...it's really easy. It's just like (NewloveI30, I think) told me a while back - if you feel uncomfortable opening up your headlights this is a really good place to start and get some practice.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 PM

I as well did the yellow capsule mod, but i was just wondering, how did you put the shield over the capsule? or did you just leave it off. I wasn't sure how to put the shield back so I just left it off>< Btw, really nice car^^
Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by DeceptI30n
I as well did the yellow capsule mod, but i was just wondering, how did you put the shield over the capsule? or did you just leave it off. I wasn't sure how to put the shield back so I just left it off>< Btw, really nice car^^
Thanks!

I did put the shield back on. I just used a longer screw to secure it to the housing and snugged the shield as tight as I could down over the capsule.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Haha darn I should have thought of that before Well i know w/ the capsule on the output is much weaker, but do you have any suggestions on what bulb can maybe increase this output some more? I was thinking of using Sylvania Xtravisions, but i don't think they come in H3.. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Got Projectors?

I'm still using the standard 35w H3 bulb...as for making it brighter, definitely stick with a clear bulb, but perhaps see if you can increase the wattage. I think H3s come in 55w and 85w. You could probably safely use the 55w with the stock housing and wiring, but I'd stay away from 85w for heat and wiring issues.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 AM

Looks Good Man.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Where did you find the 35W H3's? I have never seen one other than what came from the dealer.

I just always take a 55w H3 and widen the cutout on the bulb to make it fit correctly.

BTW, the lighting is looking great Meta!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
Where did you find the 35W H3's? I have never seen one other than what came from the dealer.

I just always take a 55w H3 and widen the cutout on the bulb to make it fit correctly.

BTW, the lighting is looking great Meta!
Thanks!

I believe I found the 35w H3s at Pep Boys.

...While I had the fog lights out I took the opportunity to remove the lower bolts in the headlights...that'll hopefully make it easier to get my projector retrofit moving forward. I'm at the point now where I need to do on-the-car aiming...so now I only have two bolts to remove to swap housings.

I also am still trying to figure out what to do about the license plate lights. I think I'm just going to put a sheet of paper on the plate and re-shoot the pics and then post 'em up.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Got Projectors?

I've uploaded some LED license plate light pics:

More are in the album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/metaorbit/MiscLighting

I'll update the original post.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:32 PM
大陆弟弟

Blah....mine are brighter and Meta, as soon as I get done with the headlights, I'm moving to Bosch minis. How did the inside of the fog lights look?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by n3985
Blah....mine are brighter and Meta, as soon as I get done with the headlights, I'm moving to Bosch minis. How did the inside of the fog lights look?
You have the high output LEDs from Autolumination in there now? I had those...they weren't anywhere near as bright as what I have now. I'd dare say what I have is brighter than OEM Lexus now. Actually, now that I re-read I think you were joking...LOL...sorry Civil Procedure is screwing with my brain.

As for the inside of the fogs...they looked, fine? LOL...not sure what you mean. The Bosch minis should do well in there, though I'm done with the fogs for good now. Once I get my projector retro done I should be done with the forward lighting.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 PM
大陆弟弟

I have the 12-LED 921s, which are def brighter than my high output ones in the city light. My trouble right now is that I remember the fog is aimed by that metal tab on top? It raises and lowers to adjust the height of the beam. Which means I'll have to somehow fix the projector to that metal thing. And yes, I was joking
Old 01-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE=MetaOrbit]You have the high output LEDs from Autolumination in there now? I had those...they weren't anywhere near as bright as what I have now. I'd dare say what I have is brighter than OEM Lexus now. Actually, now that I re-read I think you were joking...LOL...sorry Civil Procedure is screwing with my brain.

So wait,....what kind of bulbs are you using in the fogs then? I'm lost
Old 01-23-2007, 05:07 AM
Got Projectors?

[QUOTE=nycspudz03]
Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
You have the high output LEDs from Autolumination in there now? I had those...they weren't anywhere near as bright as what I have now. I'd dare say what I have is brighter than OEM Lexus now. Actually, now that I re-read I think you were joking...LOL...sorry Civil Procedure is screwing with my brain.

So wait,....what kind of bulbs are you using in the fogs then? I'm lost
Stock bulbs in fogs.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Got Projectors?

I have the 12-LED 921s, which are def brighter than my high output ones in the city light. My trouble right now is that I remember the fog is aimed by that metal tab on top? It raises and lowers to adjust the height of the beam. Which means I'll have to somehow fix the projector to that metal thing. And yes, I was joking

Ahhhh, gotcha. You know, I actually have a spare fog light that I used to practice on (has a broken tab). I no longer have any use for it, and it might help you in mocking up your bosch minis. $10 to cover shipping/packaging and it's yours.

Offer's open to others as well if you don't want it.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 AM

You can actually get a Yellow H3 bulb from Hella. I had a link in a thread over on another forum but the board has been down all day for maintenance. I think the last time I ordered them, they were about $6 ea. They are a 35w for sure and also make 55 and 85 but they are not yellow in those sizes. If the board comes up some time today I will add the link to where I got them.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM
大陆弟弟

What tab is broken? The aiming one inside?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by DamSedan
You can actually get a Yellow H3 bulb from Hella. I had a link in a thread over on another forum but the board has been down all day for maintenance. I think the last time I ordered them, they were about $6 ea. They are a 35w for sure and also make 55 and 85 but they are not yellow in those sizes. If the board comes up some time today I will add the link to where I got them.
The yellow bulbs aren't anywhere near as yellow as the capsules you insert into the housings.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Got Projectors?

What tab is broken? The aiming one inside?
No, it's on the outside corner (think side nearest to the outside of the car) that kind of hooks into the bumper. It's part of the exterior housing.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H3.asp

I understand, where do you get the capsules? Anyone got a link/part number/price?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Got Projectors?

BTW - here's a good comparison thread of bulbs v. capsules v. film:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....low+comparison

Most people get them from HIDtech; I got mine somewhere else for substantially less, but I can't remember where it was now.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM

what bulbs did you get for the plate mine are out and i'd like to replace them with l.e.d?
Old 01-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by MR.Large
what bulbs did you get for the plate mine are out and i'd like to replace them with l.e.d?
No bulbs. I used 16 white superflux-style LEDs.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:12 AM

Nice Job! I especially like the license plate LED's. Only problem now is its easier for witnesses to read your plate...
Old 01-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by clayman88
Nice Job! I especially like the license plate LED's. Only problem now is its easier for witnesses to read your plate...
LOL, that's what everyone says.

Eh, I figure I've got nothing to hide. Besides, I'm training to be a lawyer, so....
Old 01-24-2007, 04:19 PM
大陆弟弟

Hey Meta, PM your Paypal, I'll take the fogs.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No bulbs. I used 16 white superflux-style LEDs.

do you have any info on where i could get these from. those things are BRIGHT!!! auto-illumination =
Old 02-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Pointy Elbows

Nice work man. Yeah, where did you get the LEDs? Ebay?
Old 02-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Got Projectors?

For the license plate lights, I used 4 LED modules from superbrightleds.com:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/LBM.htm

I also used a 12v voltage regulator to keep a constant 12v going to the LEDs and to prevent them from seeing voltage spikes:

http://www.theledlight.com/au12A2_led_driver.html

You can make the voltage regulator yourself a LOT cheaper, but I was short on time and patience during this project and just ordered this since all the work was already done for me.

I then placed two modules in each side where the license plate lights were (for a total of 4 modules). I did NOT re-use the OEM lenses, I actually cut some new lenses from CD cases so that I had more depth to work with. When I get a chance I'm going to buy some lexan and add some weather-stripping or RTV for a more weather-proof finish. It's not a terrible concern right now because of the LEDs.

I could have made my own LED arrays, but I bought those modules for a few reasons.

1 - they were cheap
2 - they were already made
3 - they're already waterproof (they're completely sealed)

So, thus my reason for not being so concerned about the weather. That said, I have had the car in the rain and washed it with high pressure water and it's not been a problem. Though that hasn't happened a lot as my car's lately been a garage queen (having 4 cars is a blessing and a curse).

Hopefully that'll help those of you looking to go the same route. It's incredibly bright and incredibly white.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Pointy Elbows

^ I thought this was easier than that.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Got Projectors?

It's pretty easy. The only easier way would be a drop-in bulb, but you won't get nearly as much light out of those as you would doing it this way.

All you really have to do is connect like 6 wires and you're done. No other real assembly required.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Those LEDs look great=D. I wanna try it out, but I'm not quite sure what to do=\. So I'll need 4 LED modules, but how many regulators. and how would i hook this all up? I've been trying to read and understand this LED stuff for awhile, and I'm still not getting it>< maybe its a hands on thing. The only LEDs i've really dealt with are drop in ones haha. Well thanks for the help!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by DeceptI30n
Those LEDs look great=D. I wanna try it out, but I'm not quite sure what to do=\. So I'll need 4 LED modules, but how many regulators. and how would i hook this all up? I've been trying to read and understand this LED stuff for awhile, and I'm still not getting it>< maybe its a hands on thing. The only LEDs i've really dealt with are drop in ones haha. Well thanks for the help!
One regulator. As for hooking it up? Power and ground. Just match up the wires to where they need to go.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Learning English...

One regulator. As for hooking it up? Power and ground. Just match up the wires to where they need to go.
Great work!
I think you should make a detailed how-to for the license plate lights, since so many poeple are interested in this mod...
Old 02-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok....Im a new owner to the i30....why exactly did you go with the yellow on the fogs? Im a total noob to this car and have been reading the threads...is it for a JDM look style thing? Where would I get these modules anyways? and exactly how much wattage can the stock harness take? I would guess 85 watt would be to much but I like forward light power...and lots of it

TIA
Old 02-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Pointy Elbows

Welcome to the board, Tia.
They are for a Lexus-look style.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
Welcome to the board, Tia.
They are for a Lexus-look style.

hehehe...TIA is for thanks in advance my brotha.

Name is Jimmie and thanks for the welcome....kinda weird having to wait 15 posts...never had that before.

Lexus look eh? well then...might have to look into that some more...I like em bright though...I had a Acura Legend prior to this car and lets just say the lighting left things desired.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 PM

The lighting on these cars isn't what I call fantastic. The fogs are actually quite weak, just there for aesthetics IMO.

Although I do enjoy the HID... Until I have the time and money to do a projector swap.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
The lighting on these cars isn't what I call fantastic. The fogs are actually quite weak, just there for aesthetics IMO.

Although I do enjoy the HID... Until I have the time and money to do a projector swap.

Trust me....this is like a 1000 times better my Legend's was....it was a scary thing to drive at night in my legend
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 PM

has anyone tried the fog light mod on a 1999 I30....I can't remove the lense from the housing.

Quick Reply: Installed Yellow Foglight Capsules...and LED license plate light pics