Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

I may make some aftermarket HU kits, who is interested??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I may make some aftermarket HU kits, who is interested??

Ok guys, I'm seriously going to replace my HU soon and I will be making my own kit to do so since there is not one available for our cars. I'll probably make it out of plastic, it will be CNC machined and painted to match the gray of the stock radio, so, it will look absolutely factory!! I'm trying to get a count here of people who may want one so I can have an idea of how many extra to go ahead and make. I'm not sure what my price will be, I'll post that when I get further into this project. Right now, I just want a show of hands as to who is interested. I can also make MDF rings for the Max/I35 for $12 a pair +shipping.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:56 PM

I would take one forsure.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:28 PM

I'll take one with a double din opening for the I35. A pair of rings also
Old 09-10-2006, 07:28 PM

Ok, that's 2. As for the rings, just drop me a PM when you want them and I'll get some out to ya. I do accept paypal and have 100% positive feedback on Ebay. I would post up some pics of my amp/speaker install but for some odd reason I can't post attachments?? I think I'm going to order a HU this week, so, I hope to have the dash kits made in about 3 weeks. As for the double din, I'll need to get measurements for that. If anyone has purchased a double din HU, if you would get the measurement for the opening-should be in the install instructions-and post it here that would be great. If you are interested in a dash kit, post if you want 1/2 or double din please.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM

count me in.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 PM

I'm deff. in. If price right.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by blackpearle
Ok, that's 2. As for the rings, just drop me a PM when you want them and I'll get some out to ya. I do accept paypal and have 100% positive feedback on Ebay. I would post up some pics of my amp/speaker install but for some odd reason I can't post attachments?? I think I'm going to order a HU this week, so, I hope to have the dash kits made in about 3 weeks. As for the double din, I'll need to get measurements for that. If anyone has purchased a double din HU, if you would get the measurement for the opening-should be in the install instructions-and post it here that would be great. If you are interested in a dash kit, post if you want 1/2 or double din please.
I'm deff in for 1/2din if price is right. BTW can you make it with the pocket?

As for the attachments get account @ imageshack.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:21 PM

I'd probably be in.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Well, looks like a good number of people here are in need. Nomad, you gave me an idea. I might just make them all for double dins and supply a pocket so that you could use a 1/2 or double din stereo. I'm going to take out my stock HU and get some measurements this weekend so that I can get this ball rolling. Now, I need to figure out how to make up some pockets......or possibly find a place to buy them from.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 AM

Ill take 1. 2001 I30.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:56 AM
Got Projectors?

Well, looks like a good number of people here are in need. Nomad, you gave me an idea. I might just make them all for double dins and supply a pocket so that you could use a 1/2 or double din stereo. I'm going to take out my stock HU and get some measurements this weekend so that I can get this ball rolling. Now, I need to figure out how to make up some pockets......or possibly find a place to buy them from.
I wouldn't even worry about the pockets. Just make it standard 2 din and people can go to Walmart, BB, CC, etc. and buy a generic single din pocket.

It would keep cost down, keep things simple, and make your life a lot easier.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 AM

Ok guys, I'm seriously going to replace my HU soon and I will be making my own kit to do so since there is not one available for our cars. I'll probably make it out of plastic, it will be CNC machined and painted to match the gray of the stock radio, so, it will look absolutely factory!! I'm trying to get a count here of people who may want one so I can have an idea of how many extra to go ahead and make. I'm not sure what my price will be, I'll post that when I get further into this project. Right now, I just want a show of hands as to who is interested. I can also make MDF rings for the Max/I35 for $12 a pair +shipping.
Could someone enlighten me about HU's????
Old 09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by clayman88
Could someone enlighten me about HU's????
Umm, HU = head unit, which = Audio Forum.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Umm, HU = head unit, which = Audio Forum.
Gotcha...I was rackin' my brain trying to figure out what HU stood for. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 PM

Very true Metabit, I guess people could just get their own pocket. I have taken some preliminary measurements and taken a closer look at what I am getting into. Looks like the face of the ash kit will haveto have a slight curvature to match the curve of the vent and climate control panels-not an easy task. I'm going to think on this some more, I have a couple ideas of how to overcome this problem, one of which is making a mold. Also, I know this thread is audio related, but, I figured it fit in the I35 forum since it is strictly for our cars.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Got Projectors?

Very true Metabit, I guess people could just get their own pocket. I have taken some preliminary measurements and taken a closer look at what I am getting into. Looks like the face of the ash kit will haveto have a slight curvature to match the curve of the vent and climate control panels-not an easy task. I'm going to think on this some more, I have a couple ideas of how to overcome this problem, one of which is making a mold. Also, I know this thread is audio related, but, I figured it fit in the I35 forum since it is strictly for
our cars.
My comment with respect to the audio forum was made in hopes of curtailing a discussion about head units in this thread. I think custom dash kits for an I35 is an appropriate topic for this forum, LOL.

EDIT: Before I got my Cefiro dash kit I was in the process of having a Maxima kit widened out to fit the dash. That might be a good base to start with. That or you could just mold the existing head unit and fill/sand/cut where you need to.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:38 PM

After taking a closer look, it looks like this will be very time consuming and not an easy task. I definitly can't machine it, I'll have to hand-make a model to make a mold and then mold them out of plastic.....something I have never done before. I'll post updates as they happen.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im interested...Also.. like two sets of mdf rings
Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 AM

Very interested
Old 09-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by nycspudz03
Im interested...Also.. like two sets of mdf rings
You mean 2 pair, 2 front-2 rear rings, or do you mean 2 sets which would be a total of 8? Are these going to be for a 5th gen?? I've had requests for 4th gen but I don't know if they are the same. I only have templates for a 5th gen b/c that's what my car is. Let me know.

I just ordered a new HU, I went with the Clarion DXZ865MP and got all the install stuff as well as a kit for a Max which I plan to modify and/or use to make a mold. So, hopefully I'll have all this by this weekend so I can get started.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM

I meant 2 pair...2 rings for the front and 2 for the rear. They'll be going in a 5th gen. 04' I35
Old 09-21-2006, 09:41 AM

I got a bezel and harness at wal-mar for like $15 bucks why bother fabricating one....
Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by TJShag13
I got a bezel and harness at wal-mar for like $15 bucks why bother fabricating one....
That's great for your A32 I30.

Meanwhile, I think all the A33 guys in this thread want something for their cars.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:26 PM

That's great for your A32 I30.

Meanwhile, I think all the A33 guys in this thread want something for their cars.
EXACTLY!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Ok guys, I've been working with the new CD player install for a couple days now. I got the Scosche dash kit for a Max and let me tell you, what a POS!! I got it to fit, but, I had to do ALOT of trimming and cutting to do it. The opening for the CD player to fit in was way too small, which was a huge suprise for me. Anyhow, I got it all installed and I see the gaps on the sides now. I'm going to work on making something to attach to the sides of the Max kit to make it fit the I35. Does the Metra kit fit better?? If so, I may go get one and see if it will work out better. I had to turn the pocket upside down and unscrew and flip the face of it rightside up to make the screwholes line up with the ones in the radio bracket. I fastened the pocket to the radio bracket and used the screwhole in the back to support the back of the CD player with the metal peice with holes in it that is supplied with the CD player. My God, I probably just wrote the most confusing sentence ever. Anyhoo, all of this was a PITA and it fits OK, but, I'm not satisfied with it. I AM, however, very satisfied with the Clarion head unit that I bought. This thing is freakin' awsome, the touchscreen works great, there are alot of audio adjustments, and the sound is crystal clear. I would recommend this HU to anyone, it really is a great unit.........even has a cooling fan. Anyway, now I gotta figure out why I can't get the Bose sub to work. I had the PAC OEM1 with the cables to add RCAs to the factory unit. I bought the cable to wire an aftermarket HU to the factory Bose system and still used one of the wiring harnesses I had before, but, I'm not getting any sound.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:44 PM

After taking a closer look, it looks like this will be very time consuming and not an easy task. I definitly can't machine it, I'll have to hand-make a model to make a mold and then mold them out of plastic.....something I have never done before. I'll post updates as they happen.
This website may help you with your project. They even have a video on their site. Please post pics when you are done. Good luck bro.

http://www.alumilite.com/

http://alumilite.com/checkout/index.php?cPath=26

http://alumilite.com/checkout/index.php?cPath=22
Old 09-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Got Projectors?

The Metra is a much better kit (IMO) than the Scosche.

As for why you're not getting any sound, I'm not sure. I used a ROEM-NIS2 and it worked perfectly.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by KI30t
This website may help you with your project. They even have a video on their site. Please post pics when you are done. Good luck bro.

http://www.alumilite.com/

http://alumilite.com/checkout/index.php?cPath=26

http://alumilite.com/checkout/index.php?cPath=22

Thanks for the links, I'll definitly take a look. As for not getting any sound, I had to order another cable for the OEM-1, that should fix the problem. I can't believe how cheap the Scosche kit is, what a POS. I may have to go take a look at a Metra kit and maybe switch over to that.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 PM

Count me in... 03' I35.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm also interested 2002 I35
Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM

Count me in for a double din size to fit a pioneer d1/d2 nav system for my 2k max
Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

would a new head unit require a new amp to replace the stock one in the trunk or could u just use the adapter and good everyhting right up?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You are right on time!

I have had a very difficult time trying to get my AVIC D3 in my i35. I'm really hoping you can help.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 PM

but the last posts were2 years ago
Old 06-29-2008, 01:42 AM

i want one HU too
Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Got Projectors?

Hilarity ensues.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:47 AM

Hilarity ensues.
YES
Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is anyone still working on those HU kits if so please count me in too. I am about to go crazy trying to find one. I have been looking for one since 05 and just happen to stumble across this sight now.

02 I35S
beeasy252@gmail.com
Old 07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Got Projectors?

Hilarity continues.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:15 PM

So I guess the lesson learned here is:

The JDM Double din Dash that Sycefiro sells is the *only* real way to replace the BOSE deck.

Quick Reply: I may make some aftermarket HU kits, who is interested??