Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Starter Jammed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Starter Jammed

Sooo walking out of a store today. Car won't turn over. But I can hear a click which means the starter is trying to engage/disengage. Battery is fine, running at 12.6 volts when car is not on. So I need a write up or a How To, to replace my starter. The tow truck guy said it would be a ***** becuase he had a maxima and it happened to him. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not exactly a how to replace a starter, but it has some pictures and details: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/516

Still might be a good idea to take it into your local auto parts store and get it tested, many will do it for free.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 PM

Alright cool. Ehh I know it's the starter. It's grinded almost every single start up especially when it was cold. Just like that link says. But my car won't even turn over. So I know it's the starter. It clicks, but doesn't engage.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Take off the intake to the TB and undo the electrical connector and remove the 2 bolts on the starter. It takes about 30 min. to replace. The tow truck guy does not know what he is talking about.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 PM

Alright took me about 45 minutes to replace my starter. The only problem i had with it was breaking (uising the breaker bar) for the back bolt. I almost pissed myself when it came loose cuase I had to have flown back a good 4 feet. But it starts within the first crank now. Thanks guys for helping.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Yeah that back bolt is in there pretty tight. Its actually one of the bolts that holds the tranny to the engine. It just passes through the starter. Having a breaker bar is a must for any DIY mechanic's tool set. I actually took a piece of pipe and cut it into various sections. Then, I used my vise to pinch one end until it fit the end of my different ratchets.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Seems like a lot of starters are failing i replaced mine today and took about the same time didnt have a problem removing the bolts just getting the nut on to the bolt was the problem due to a lot of lines and hardware in the way but it was fun
Old 08-18-2006, 09:26 PM

Ok guys i need more help my prev post was of me replacing the starter in my car with the one from my 95 max now im haveing the same problem my car doesnt turn over again so could there be any other issues
Old 08-19-2006, 11:48 AM

bump for help
Old 08-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Assuming you have a good battery, if you hear a click when trying to start then its the starter. If you hear ABSOLUTELY nothing then its the ignition switch.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
Assuming you have a good battery, if you hear a click when trying to start then its the starter. If you hear ABSOLUTELY nothing then its the ignition switch.
i dont hear a click at all but after a couple of tries or a few minutes the car will eventually start
Old 08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Then its the ignition switch. Undo 2 screws, one electrical connector, 15 min., and $20 will fix your problem.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bad Ignition switch

I had a problem with my 96 Maxima (lights, but failed to start a number of times). I replaced the ignition switch and it worked perfectly for a month. Now it is sporadically doing it again - -and only seems to happen when the car is warm. Bad switch? Something else I should look for?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Maybe its the battery or the starter.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm having a very similar problem related to my starter. My '97 has almost 164,000 miles on it and was giving me problems starting when it was in the sun. Four years ago the original starter was rebuilt because the car was suffering the exact same symptoms, and my father (whom I purchased the car from) told me that he expected the starter to last about 3 years. Putting all the logic together, and I bought a remanufactured starter. It was installed last week.

It didn't fix my problem. And my problem has only gotten worse. Now it doesn't matter if it's hot outside (but it's worse when it's hot), my car will rarely start on the first try. So now I'm trying to figure out what's broken.

When I turn my key, my lights come on so I know my battery is good. I've tried to start the car in neutral, putting my foot on the brake, setting the parking brake, and all combinations in between to see if that helps my car start. Nada. If you stand in front of the car with the hood open, you can hear a soft clicking noise when the key is turned all the way to try and start the car. I don't know what this noise is, but I assume that because I'm hearing <i>something</i>, my ignition isn't the problem. My father and I can force the starter to work by hooking it directly to my battery, so I know the starter is good.

So what I'm thinking it is... the original wire from the battery to the starter. And to combat this, my father and I installed a wire from the battery to the starter and all I do is press a button. I can start my car this way, but it takes a few tries and my engine seems to have a higher rpm once it does get started than it does when I'm able to start it by key.

So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'll be willing to get the ignition replaced if it doesn't cost me a fortune and see if that turns things around. I love this car and need it to last me for at least a few more years. I don't have enough money to have it fixed by a dealership unless it's a last resort.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by hystericalrealm
So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'll be willing to get the ignition replaced if it doesn't cost me a fortune and see if that turns things around. I love this car and need it to last me for at least a few more years. I don't have enough money to have it fixed by a dealership unless it's a last resort.
I think the problem has everything to do with moving from TN to TX.

I wish I could help - I thought for sure the starter would solve the problem. You might also want to try searching/posting in the 4th Gen forum as it sees a lot more activity and mechanically the cars are identical.

Best of luck, and come visit sometime. Hopefully someone else here will have some better advice than I!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just ran into this same problem with my 1994 Maxima. Started fine this morning, went out at noon and it wouldn't turn over. All I get is a fast clicking noise. I had a guy with a booster come over and after he hooked it up it started fine. I ran it for half an hour then turned it off. I tried to start it back up immediately and only got the clicking again. Tested the battery and looks fine. Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Just the tip.

How'd you test the battery? With a multimeter?
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 AM

Persistent problems with Nissan starters are easily fixed.

We bought a used '99 I30 back in 2001. On a "hot summer day in 2004", we drove to Las Vegas and stopped to eat. Thirty minutes later, the car refused to start. After waiting about two hours, the car started. We cruised around Las Vegas (~1 hour). We then stopped again for a short while. Car refused to start. Waited two hours. Car started. See the pattern?
The local friendly Nissan dealer wanted ~$500 to replace the starter. Knowing the car would start the next morning, we decided to drive back to Colorado nonstop the next morning. We never turned the car off, even during fill ups.
At home, I bought a NAPA starter (~$150) and installed it myself. This starter failed during the "hot Colorado summer of 2008". I was able to get the car started by pounding on the starter (with a tire iron) while my wife turned the key. I didn't want to spend another $150+, so I took apart the NAPA starter. The brushes were worn and only costed (~$30) online at rockauto.
I am convinced that the starter (in the Nissan Maxima family)gets "cooked" over a span of 3-4 years. When I pulled the starter (both times) I noticed that a lot of the plastic parts, rubber, and tape underneath the airbox were very brittle.

Here's the procedure to see if the starter needs new brushes:
1. Take tire iron and grinningly beat the starter while someone else turns
the key. You can just see the starter through the wires and hoses.
2. If car starts, order brush set online at rockauto.
3. Remove starter.
4. Take starter apart.
5. Replace starter brush set.
6. Reassemble starter.
7. Re-install starter.
8. Start car.
9. Wait 3 to 4 years.
10. Repeat.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how much would it cost for the ignition switch
Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 PM

hey guys,

your cars are old, so if you fix the starter and that is it.
Then you are not getting fuel to the engine - eureka "Fuel pump" - 1 hour job

you test this by buying a can of high octane gas an putting it directly to the TB when you start the car

hope this helps
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM

In Miami we just beat the old starter until it works. Lol.