Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Anyone has any tips or how-to's on touch up paint ? I have a few small nicks on my black hood, and I want to touch them up ... but I want to do it the right way, anyone has any tips ? links ?

I did search and couldnt find any informative posts on this.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 PM

Has anyone here successfully reset the ECU on the I35's using the 02-03 Maxima instructions? I have tried on several occasions with no luck.. Is something else needed to perform the procedure? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Norkoastal
Has anyone here successfully reset the ECU on the I35's using the 02-03 Maxima instructions? I have tried on several occasions with no luck.. Is something else needed to perform the procedure? Thanks!
I've reset it using those instructions. You have to be really careful and make sure you hit the sequence and timing just right.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
I've reset it using those instructions. You have to be really careful and make sure you hit the sequence and timing just right.

Success!!!! The light kept blinking after the third set of 10 blinks so I just turned the key off and then restarted... Time to learn what real driving is like with the FSTB dialed in and the RSB in the back

For those wanting to do the same here is a nice visual link

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/eco.asp
Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM

I have a question about body work. I found a door and a fender for my car that are the same color at an "auto recycler" and had them delivered to this body shop that's a friend of my extended family. I just wanted the old damaged door and fender removed and the new ones placed on. The only thing that wasn't straight forward on the body work was that was some hinge damage and they needed to be replaced (hinges came with door from junk yard). The work is done today (2 weeks) and he gave me a price of 400. Does that sound right for the work done.

Oh yeah, he was suppose to let me know if he needed to do any work to the body parts before he did it because they were suppose to be in good condition
Old 04-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Im about to take my car in Monday to have the TSB NTB03-023 looked into.. My acceleration is kind of wierd on my car. The first thing I noticed when I purchased it was that when I gently remove my foot fromt he pedal or push the gas in on the freeway the car would jerk like there was an issue with the drive by wire.. After seeing the TSB threads I saw you posted and noticed a difference.

Now that my car is out of warranty will this TSB most likely be covered under the powertrain warranty?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Got Projectors?

Now that my car is out of warranty will this TSB most likely be covered under the powertrain warranty?

Thanks,
Brad
Doubtful. But it never hurts to try.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:01 AM

ok, a question for you electrical gurus:

i replaced my headlight and foglight bulbs with PIAA's a little less than two years ago, about three months ago my foglights went out, i noticed both at the same time. i thought it was unlikely that both bulbs went at the same time, so i checked the fuse (63 in the box) and it's fine, i found the relay but can't figure out how to get the cover off, any other thoughts on what might've happened? also, when i was trying to clear my flashing airbag light (according to the fix in the sticky) my drivers' side high beam went out, only the high thogh, and only on the drivers side. help?
Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 PM

Doubtful. But it never hurts to try.
By luck I happened to track down a Infiniti tech... Real nice guy who took care of the TSB and advanced the timing... The car is much more responsive and the delayed throttle response is much better... If anyone still has the old ECU program make sure to upgrade it..
Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

By luck I happened to track down a Infiniti tech... Real nice guy who took care of the TSB and advanced the timing... The car is much more responsive and the delayed throttle response is much better... If anyone still has the old ECU program make sure to upgrade it..
I'm assuming you need an Infiniti tech to do the ECU program upgrade, right? I have the same problem as you once had on my '99 I30. I'd heard replacing the onboard computer thing was what was needed, but I wasn't willing to open the dash to do this or pay the $500+ it would cost to have it done by someone else.

I also have one other problem I was looking for advice. Looks like part of my exhaust system has a hole rusted in it. It's the bit right in front of the passenger side rear tire, looks like it connects to the muffler? I don't know if that makes any sense. Just some kind of pipe - it goes straight, then make a 90 degree turn, straight, and another 90 degree turn. If it isn't obvious, I don't really know what I'm talking about. The bit of the pipe with the hole is just in front of the passenger side rear tire.

Anyway, I thought I had a dead animal stuck to my car, but it was just some kind of insulation/foam falling out with rust in it. I was unable to find a diagram of the exhaust system (if that is what the part is) in order to exactly describe the part. I was hoping I could just cover the hole with aluminum tape, but I know you guys here have a way better idea than me.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, could someone please post a picture of the IAT (intake air temp sensor) installed on a 98 I30. I have the SES lit up due to the sensor being open or shorted, but I cannot find it. There are many wires and connectors on and near the intake, just need a good picture of the correct one....thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by danI30
Hey guys, could someone please post a picture of the IAT (intake air temp sensor) installed on a 98 I30. I have the SES lit up due to the sensor being open or shorted, but I cannot find it. There are many wires and connectors on and near the intake, just need a good picture of the correct one....thanks.
Just find the MAF plug and follow it down a few inches. The IAT sensor wires branch off from that harness.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Bought an 03 I35 six months ago. In great shape, but the ride was terrible and it bottomed out going over speed bumps. Put a new set of kybs on all 4 wheels, but the ride's still pretty bad. Before I try changing out the springs, I'm wondering if I might have done something wrong on the install. Is there a ride height adjustment issue when installing rear shocks?Also, what types of springs would you recommend?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
Just find the MAF plug and follow it down a few inches. The IAT sensor wires branch off from that harness.
Found it, and installed the new sensor. Still got that damn light though.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:05 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by eluther3
Bought an 03 I35 six months ago. In great shape, but the ride was terrible and it bottomed out going over speed bumps. Put a new set of kybs on all 4 wheels, but the ride's still pretty bad. Before I try changing out the springs, I'm wondering if I might have done something wrong on the install. Is there a ride height adjustment issue when installing rear shocks?Also, what types of springs would you recommend?
No, there are no ride height adjustments on the shocks.

Originally Posted by danI30
Found it, and installed the new sensor. Still got that damn light though.
Did you clear the codes after replacing the sensor?

Have you tested the sensor and harness back to the ECU?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wassup guys, newbie here, i tried looking for someone who has ksport coilovers on their I35 but can't seem to find anyone. I may just be searching the wrong threads. If someone does have that set up could you tell me if they ride good or not. Thanx
Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 PM

steering wheel control retrofit

I am moving an existing carpc from my old 2002 Maxima to my 2000 I30 and the Maxima had the stereo controls where the I30 does not.

I have just purchased a 2001 steering wheel with them.

How different is the contacts, wiring and connectors of the combination switch between my 2000 and the 2001.

Are they the same and the 2001 steering wheel wil be plug and play?

Are they the same but just lacking a couple of wires on the connector?

Or will I have to purchase the 2001 combo switch and retrofit my dash wiring harness for this function?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by duanes7
I am moving an existing carpc from my old 2002 Maxima to my 2000 I30 and the Maxima had the stereo controls where the I30 does not.

I have just purchased a 2001 steering wheel with them.

How different is the contacts, wiring and connectors of the combination switch between my 2000 and the 2001.

Are they the same and the 2001 steering wheel wil be plug and play?

Are they the same but just lacking a couple of wires on the connector?

Or will I have to purchase the 2001 combo switch and retrofit my dash wiring harness for this function?
The pinouts of the clockspring are different between the two years (note, '00 apparently didn't have an option for steering wheel mounted audio controls).

Looks like you'd need the steering wheel receiver control switch, connect that to the radio (doubtful it's plug and play), and run your own wiring from the clockspring connector to said control switch.

Look through the FSM from both model years, you can see the differences there.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:01 AM

steering wheel control retrofit

Thanx, just did search for fsm. Didn't realize that the manuals were posted. Very nice to have that.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

sure its been covered

i have a 2000 i30t, can i use halo projector headlamp with xenon hid bulbs that are stock? also what are the best mods for 2000 i30t. mechanical and appearance. thanks, im looking to become a regular member and show my 2000 i30t transition. I bought mine 2 months ago. I need a radiator, rear wheel bearing and struts, and rotors and brakes, not too bad for 3 grand. engine runs great, just new tune up(coils and plugs) and oil change.car is 150,000. how much life left with continued good maintenance?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by i30t me
i have a 2000 i30t, can i use halo projector headlamp with xenon hid bulbs that are stock? also what are the best mods for 2000 i30t. mechanical and appearance. thanks, im looking to become a regular member and show my 2000 i30t transition. I bought mine 2 months ago. I need a radiator, rear wheel bearing and struts, and rotors and brakes, not too bad for 3 grand. engine runs great, just new tune up(coils and plugs) and oil change.car is 150,000. how much life left with continued good maintenance?
the engine will last as long as you want it to. Use synthetic oil, ATF, keep up with flushes every 2 years, you'll be fine.

The Halo i think will need some fancy rewiring but that shouldn't be too big of a deal i think there is thread in this forum or the 5th gen maxima forum (the electrical system is the same)

3 grand was a steal indeed. You don't need to replace the coils ever, they last forever. Just get new plugs (use NGK platinums) i got mine from mynismo.com. They won't list the I30 but you can look it up by the spark plug ##. Im not sure which part ## is for the VQ30 but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by i30t me
1. No the projectors won't work with the factory xenons...which you can read in the FAQ link

2. Best mods are subjective, you should search around and look at other members' cars. There is a section for everything, if you want engine oil advice go to the maintenance section, braking go to braking section...etc. But you'll find the most info reading the FAQs and stickies in the 5th gen forum.

3. Car will last as long as you maintain it well
Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM

I didn't find my question elsewhere, so here goes. I bought a 99 SE yesterday and this morning had some major problems starting it. It tries very hard to turn over but just won't fire up. So I had the fuel pump/pressure checked and it was all fine. I sprayed starting fluid in the intake and tried to crank it simultaneously and it started until I stopped spraying. (I know this is not a good practice to get in the habit of).

So a guy I took it to said it is probably the computer because the ground is at zero volts when hitting the fuel injectors. Is there any other problems that could be causing this? I have checked the obvious things such as battery, timing chain. Well, the rod in the block is still spinning appropriately anyhow.

Like I said I just bought the car. Not too much knowledge about the Maxima just yet. I know that the fuel pump and pressure is top notch. By spraying the starting fluid, does that pretty much narrow it down to the fuel system? Thanks for a reply in advance I would LOVE another opinion on what may be wrong with the car.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:35 PM
大陆弟弟

Wrong section, you should ask the 4th gen forum.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by fretplayer20
I didn't find my question elsewhere, so here goes. I bought a 99 SE yesterday and this morning had some major problems starting it. It tries very hard to turn over but just won't fire up. So I had the fuel pump/pressure checked and it was all fine. I sprayed starting fluid in the intake and tried to crank it simultaneously and it started until I stopped spraying. (I know this is not a good practice to get in the habit of).

So a guy I took it to said it is probably the computer because the ground is at zero volts when hitting the fuel injectors. Is there any other problems that could be causing this? I have checked the obvious things such as battery, timing chain. Well, the rod in the block is still spinning appropriately anyhow.

Like I said I just bought the car. Not too much knowledge about the Maxima just yet. I know that the fuel pump and pressure is top notch. By spraying the starting fluid, does that pretty much narrow it down to the fuel system? Thanks for a reply in advance I would LOVE another opinion on what may be wrong with the car.
Is the security light on with the key in the ON or start position?

NATS disables the injectors. Are you trying to use a spare 'home depot' style key, or the actual chipped key that you should be using?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone help?? I want to put 19" g37 rims on my 03 i35 w/ a 1.3" drop all around. Will they work? Do I need anything to get a flush fit? Does anyone have pics of a i35 with them??
Old 08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello all. I have an '01 I30 and the left fog light is not working, right is working fine. So naturally I went and bought a new bulb, H3 55w. Tried it and still nothing. So I returned it thinking it was the bulb, and bought another. Went home and tried same thing. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

perhaps everyone is on vacation?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
大陆弟弟

You sure the connection was secure? Nothing rusted or loose? Did it work before?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well i just bought the car last week, and it's been out since i bought it. perhaps it could be rust. the mudflap was missing on that side, so i hope some water or something didnt cause any damage.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yo, my moms got a 2001 Infiniti i30t with some lights that went out. I showed her how easy it is to just swap everything out and then we got to the headlights: it turns out they are xenon!

I have not the slightest indication of how to get into the casing it's in (it's not in and out like the high beam, indicator, etc), and I have no idea what/where to get the replacement headlight or what model number of headlight to look for (it's not in the manual! It says have infiniti replace it for you!)

Is there a DIY on this site I'm just not seeing through searching, or is there a universal guide? Or am I ultimately going to have to go to the dealer due to some lame technicality? Let me know.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 AM
大陆弟弟

How did you show her how easy it is was to swap everything out if you couldn't get the headlight out

Remove two 10mm bolt on top, then remove one push tab, 10mm bolt, one Philips screws from beneath the front bumper directly under the fog lights. Pull back undertray, remove 10mm bolt holding fog light housing, remove fog light housing, then you'll see the last and hidden 10mm bolt holding the headlight from bottom.

The bulb you need is D2R, I personally recommend sticking to OEM bulbs for maximum brightness. You'll need to remove the igniter cap, held in by 3 screws, then will have access to the bulb.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

question, are there ANY body kits at all out there for a 2001 I30 short of learning japanese decoding a .jp website and paying a million dollars for a cefiro kit?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 AM
大陆弟弟

Yes, why don't you look through here for ideas:

http://forums.maxima.org/infiniti-i3...e-posting.html
Old 09-22-2009, 06:46 PM

D you guys think I can fit these wheels in my car? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-ad...Q5fAccessories they are 20mm offset.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey was up guys, im new to this forums and i just bought a 2001 i30.. i love the car it drives smoooth and its goood in speed... but there is one thing that has been bugging me and hopefully u guys could help me out with this situation...

well everytime that im driving and i put the car in neutral or in park it looks like the car looses rpm and then it shuts off.. it doesnt happen when i drive or if i have it in drive just when i put it in neutral or in park... do u guys have any idea what this could be... any help will be appreciated... thanks guys...
Old 09-24-2009, 06:57 PM

^^^ Mass Air Flow sensor. Change it and you will see that your car have more low power.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
^^^ Mass Air Flow sensor. Change it and you will see that your car have more low power.
thanks ill will do that this weekend.... where will be the best place to get one
Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my check engine light came on today so i took the car to auto zone to check the code and it said that it was my knock sensor, cuz 4 other code came up, one for the fuel and one for the maf sensor.. im going to change the maf sensor this weekend... but does that mean that i also have to change the knock sensor as well? where is that located anyways? please any help would be appreciated...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kjgspot
my check engine light came on today so i took the car to auto zone to check the code and it said that it was my knock sensor, cuz 4 other code came up, one for the fuel and one for the maf sensor.. im going to change the maf sensor this weekend... but does that mean that i also have to change the knock sensor as well? where is that located anyways? please any help would be appreciated...
Very common failure in these cars. I would change the maf, clear the codes and see what comes back. Knock sensors are buried in these cars. I suggest you buy a shop manual for good instructions on replacing those.

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...