Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Folding LED mirrors installed..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Got Projectors?

Folding LED mirrors installed..

From the other thread:

I only put them on like yesterday. Finished up most of the wiring today.

The folding function is AWESOME. I used the new switch and original wiring harness but ran a couple wires from each mirror to the new switch to get the folding function working. I also wired up the puddle lamps today, to the "room lamp" fuse in the fuse box. Unfortunately that fuse is "hot" all the time so the puddle lamps never went out. I then tried wiring them to the door (pin) switch behind the B pillar but didn't have success there either. Needless to say, I'll wire those in later after a little more research (and help from others). I basically want them to come on whenever the dome light comes on. (Yes, I could wire them to the door lamps but then they'd only come on when the door opens; I want them to come on when the door opens and also when the keyless entry is used). So, if anyone has any good ideas on where to tap the power going to the dome light, let me know.

I also wired in the turn signals today. That wasn't that difficult. The hardest part was getting the driver's side corner bulb out of the back of the headlamp because there's virtually no space to get your hand back behind it.

The physical installation of the mirrors is a piece of cake. It's the wiring that takes the time. And running the wires from the doors into the car takes most of that time. Fortunately I already had speaker wires run in there for my components so it was a little bit easier.

I hope to have pics soon. And videos! The LED turn signal is awesome. They use superflux LEDs for the puddle lamps and the turn signals so the brightness is pretty nice. The only thing I dislike is that the mirror glass is different than the OEM mirrors. Yes, it is tinted blue (which is nice) but the blind spot edges of the mirror are a little disorienting to use, particularly since I'm so accustomed to regular mirrors. I think they'll be great, however, once I get used to them.
Well here are a couple teaser pics:

And here you can see ALL the pics I took the other day:

http://picasaweb.google.com/metaorbi...eat=directlink

And here are a few videos (Right click, Save As):

1st - LEDs blinking - http://www.myi35.info/mirrors/mirror1.AVI

2nd - LEDs blinking - http://www.myi35.info/mirrors/mirror2.AVI

3rd - Mirrors folding - http://www.myi35.info/mirrors/mirror3.AVI

Like I said above, I need to figure out where to tap the dome light wire so that the ground lights will come on when the dome is on. I have tested the lights, and they do work, and they look awesome, just need the right power lead for those now. Other than that, these things look like they were made for the car. They make the stock mirrors look and feel wimpy.

Last edited by MetaOrbit; 07-17-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
www.autotalk.com

That looks sick man!!!! I wanna get these for my G. Who did you order these from?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
That looks sick man!!!! I wanna get these for my G. Who did you order these from?
Thanks, Ossamah. I actually e-mailed a guy on eBay and asked if he had anything for the A33. They wrote back and said they did and it went from there.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Droppin logs

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick! The vids say it all...
Old 06-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Learning English...

Wow, this look incredible and allmost same like Mercedes E-class mirrors - especially the blinkers! I love them and i want them
Meta, how much did you pay for them and do they have the heated option? I also would want to know, how long did you wait to get them.....? Thx
Old 06-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
Those mirrors do like great! I need to get mine hooked up to fold with the switch and also when I turn the car off and on. I purchased mine from sycefiro on the org. My mirrors do not have the puddle lamp.
Here is the thread.....http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=478233
Old 06-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Maxipimp

Originally Posted by brio_max
Meta, how much did you pay for them and do they have the heated option? I also would want to know, how long did you wait to get them.....? Thx
10char
Old 06-27-2006, 11:16 AM

Nice mirrors John. Let's see these puddle lamps once they're hooked up.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:40 PM

OK i need a set where can i get some and not have to pay like 400+ for them
Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Droppin logs

Originally Posted by NOCturnalI30
OK i need a set where can i get some and not have to pay like 400+ for them
They carry them at autozone for $19.95 but shhhh don't tell anybody...
Old 06-29-2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by D-Bo
They carry them at autozone for $19.95 but shhhh don't tell anybody...
AHHAHAHAHAH

U asssss lol i was being sarcastic
Old 06-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice indeed. You see some of the mirrors out there with blinkers in them that look cheap and just makes you want to puke. Very nice looking and adds to the car.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Got Projectors?

Thanks for the compliments guys. These mirrors are awesome. I still love the folding function and the turn signals. Haven't gotten the puddle lamps hooked up yet as I've been out of town all week, but I'll hopefully do that soon. It's looking more and more like I'll have to run a wire up to the dome light if I want them to come on every time the dome comes on.

As for where I got them, I found a guy on eBay selling parts from Taiwan and e-mailed him and asked him if he had any for the A33. He did, and I paid $280 shipped and got them in 1-2 weeks I think. I've actually had them for quite a while now, just haven't said anything about them until I put them on. The freaking body shop took nearly two weeks by itself to get the mirrors to paint (thanks hail storm of a month ago).

But these mirrors rock. I love the superflux LEDs and IMO these clear lenses that wrap around the side (a little more) look better than the "foggy" lensed LED mirrors I've seen for sale before. So, with the newer LED design and the price of $280, I couldn't resist, and had to get them.

BTW - these mirrors are not heated. I do believe that you can order them that way though. My mirrors also came with new wiring harnesses and a new OEM Nissan mirror controller (replaces the stock one perfectly) that has a built-in switch to fold and unfold the mirrors.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Droppin logs

That's a pretty sweet price!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:11 PM

Dude this is a SICK mod

On the Legend forums, some guy did this do his KA8 coupe...

I'm not horribly mechanically inclined, but I WANT this How much should I expect to pay at an auto electric/body shop for an install? How many labor hours did you put into this?

SICK mod man, best one I've seen yet for the i
Old 07-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Got Projectors?

I wouldn't pay anyone to install these. It's really so easy to do there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do it.

Pop off the door panels, remove three nuts, disconnect the wire harnesses, pull mirrors off. Put new mirrors in, bolt them in, connect wiring harnesses, run additional wires out of the doors into the car, run turn signal wires into the engine bay, ground/tap other associated wires and that's it.

If you paid someone to do it they'd probably charge 3 hours. That's my guess.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
I wouldn't pay anyone to install these. It's really so easy to do there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do it.

Pop off the door panels, remove three nuts, disconnect the wire harnesses, pull mirrors off. Put new mirrors in, bolt them in, connect wiring harnesses, run additional wires out of the doors into the car, run turn signal wires into the engine bay, ground/tap other associated wires and that's it.

If you paid someone to do it they'd probably charge 3 hours. That's my guess.

Doesn't sound hard at all actually. Thanks for the info
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Shift_VQ35

are there 2 diff mirrors? where can i get these?

Old 08-26-2006, 06:51 AM

Awww mans.That looks crazy. Good job. But I am guessing you loose the heated mirror option? Or does the i35 not have that?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:41 PM

looks sick!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:59 PM

I need to start saving
Old 09-16-2006, 09:56 PM

very slick!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you have the ebay username of the person you purchased these mirrors from? Very interested, also did they come pre-painted?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:54 AM

looks awesome
Old 09-26-2006, 07:10 AM

Nice Job...looks great!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:13 PM

buMP....Hey Meta, do you have the name of the seller you purchased your mirrors from. Im thinking of purchasing these as an early b-day gift.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Got Projectors?

Norman at

service [at] thespeedline.com
Old 10-26-2006, 07:23 PM

makes me really miss my jdm powerfolding mirrors from my accord. it was so convient in the city
Old 12-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just mounted the mirrors on my own '03 Infiniti I35. Unfortunately I don't have an aftermarket sound system so having trouble with running the wiring to make it look professional. Anyone install these on their A33 and can provide assistance? Please I beg of you.....
Old 12-20-2006, 05:59 PM

Nice mod John!! Props!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by gdiddy
Just mounted the mirrors on my own '03 Infiniti I35. Unfortunately I don't have an aftermarket sound system so having trouble with running the wiring to make it look professional. Anyone install these on their A33 and can provide assistance? Please I beg of you.....
Try here

BTW, i've disconnected the puddle lamps, because they didn't work properly... I mean, when the doors were opened, they were flashing and blinking like crazy and that was caused by a bad wiring connection... somewhere behind the mirror/glass...
Old 12-21-2006, 04:53 PM

I ran 3 wires from each door into the cabin. Two wires for the folding action and 1 for the positive lead of the turn signal (I used a bolt in the door as ground.) The flood light I connected to the illumination bulb right in the door (the one in the lower corner of the door) The three wires I bundled together and wrapped them with electrical tape. I poked a small hole through the rubber boot that brings the factory wires into the cabin. I made this hole towards the back of the rubber boot so it can't be seen when the door is open. Then if you open your door all the way and you see through the crack between the door and the fender you will see a round plastic cover about the size of a dollar coin. I used a long skinny drill bit to drill a 1\4 inch hole right through it. I then used a hanger wire to fish the wires through. You could use a sharp knife or something similar to make the hole in the plastic cover but be careful not too push on it too hard or you will punch the entire cover right through the hole and then you will have no cover This is the way I did it and you can't see anything at all. I am very happy with the way it came out. The flood light works well this way too. When you unlock the door via the remote this will make the flood lights go on and remain on for a few seconds. When you lock the doors as well.. they will remain on long enough to serve it's purpose anyway. I am currently working on a way to have the mirrors fold automatically 30 seconds after the doors have been locked. I'll let you know if I get it to work. Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Got Projectors?

Connecting the puddle lamps to the lights in the door shouldn't light them up when the keyless is hit. When I hit the button on my keyless remote only the dome light and light ring around the ignition lights up, not the door lights. At least that's the way it is on my car.

I was talking to a tech at the dealer the other day though and he printed out some pages from the FSM and told me which wires to tap (at the BCM IIRC) to get them to light when the dome light is on.

If and when I ever get a spare moment I'll do it. I have too many projects right now at the moment (fogs, projectors, shocks on another car, brakes on another car, etc., LOL)
Old 12-21-2006, 08:00 PM

hmmm... maybe I acquired this feature with the after-market alarm? I don't think so.. but I dunno.. it works out just fine the way it is right now

What about after you turn off the ignition and you exit the car? The door lights should remain on for a about 10-15 seconds and the dome light for about 30-45 right? that's how it works on mine.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:41 AM

LED folding mirror

Thanks for the compliments guys. These mirrors are awesome. I still love the folding function and the turn signals. Haven't gotten the puddle lamps hooked up yet as I've been out of town all week, but I'll hopefully do that soon. It's looking more and more like I'll have to run a wire up to the dome light if I want them to come on every time the dome comes on.

As for where I got them, I found a guy on eBay selling parts from Taiwan and e-mailed him and asked him if he had any for the A33. He did, and I paid $280 shipped and got them in 1-2 weeks I think. I've actually had them for quite a while now, just haven't said anything about them until I put them on. The freaking body shop took nearly two weeks by itself to get the mirrors to paint (thanks hail storm of a month ago).

But these mirrors rock. I love the superflux LEDs and IMO these clear lenses that wrap around the side (a little more) look better than the "foggy" lensed LED mirrors I've seen for sale before. So, with the newer LED design and the price of $280, I couldn't resist, and had to get them.

BTW - these mirrors are not heated. I do believe that you can order them that way though. My mirrors also came with new wiring harnesses and a new OEM Nissan mirror controller (replaces the stock one perfectly) that has a built-in switch to fold and unfold the mirrors.
do you know a place where I can purchase them...they look really nice
Old 12-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by cprx7
hmmm... maybe I acquired this feature with the after-market alarm? I don't think so.. but I dunno.. it works out just fine the way it is right now

What about after you turn off the ignition and you exit the car? The door lights should remain on for a about 10-15 seconds and the dome light for about 30-45 right? that's how it works on mine.
I'll have to look again to make sure, but IIRC, the door lights are only on when a door is opened.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by darkinfiniti
do you know a place where I can purchase them...they look really nice
Look at HERE

The seller is good
Old 12-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Learning English...

...the door lights are only on when a door is opened.
Same as mine...
Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you guys tell me if this would work on a 1998 Nissan Maxima? I just love this modification and there is very little out there that explains in detail on how do get it done. The thread is the ****.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 PM

Bought these about 6 months ago just never had a chance to take pics and post them. Same mirrors as MetaOrbit's except I decided to paint the entire mirror including the base. The folding action comes handy but I must admit is mostly for showing off more than anything else. What I love most about the mirrors is the slanted edge that does away with the blind spot. All cars should come with mirrors like these.

Quick Reply: Folding LED mirrors installed..