Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2002 I35 Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:28 PM

2002 I35 Suspension Question

Hi,

I recently sold my 2000 Maxima SE w/130k and just bought a 2002 I35 Sport with 37k miles. The I35 is in mint condition, however the sport suspension seems ridiculously rough. It's jarringly stiff going over bumps.. A lot more so than my Maxima SE. Could something be wrong?
What tire pressure do you all run?

Also, does anyone have a writeup/recommendation as to where to mount a roadyXT XM satellite receiver?
On a more positive note, the 02 I35 "feels" like it has 100 more hp than my maxima did.. it hauls *** and its a lot of fun to drive. I think I may even like it more than my wife's FX35 heh.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Compton
Hi,

I recently sold my 2000 Maxima SE w/130k and just bought a 2002 I35 Sport with 37k miles. The I35 is in mint condition, however the sport suspension seems ridiculously rough. It's jarringly stiff going over bumps.. A lot more so than my Maxima SE. Could something be wrong?
My '02 I35 Sport (93k miles) still has a really smooth ride until I hit a deep, nasty pothole. Other than that, it's smooth sailing. Sounds like you might have an issue.

What tire pressure do you all run?
I run 32 psi all around on my Potenzas.

Also, does anyone have a writeup/recommendation as to where to mount a roadyXT XM satellite receiver?
Can't help you here.

On a more positive note, the 02 I35 "feels" like it has 100 more hp than my maxima did.. it hauls *** and its a lot of fun to drive. I think I may even like it more than my wife's FX35 heh.
Thanks in advance.
I went from a '97 I30 to a '98 QX4 to my current '02 I35 Sport. It's been my favorite so far as well.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:58 AM
大陆弟弟

I recently sold my 2000 Maxima SE w/130k and just bought a 2002 I35 Sport with 37k miles. The I35 is in mint condition, however the sport suspension seems ridiculously rough. It's jarringly stiff going over bumps.
Maybe worn out shocks? If under warranty, take it to the dealer. Just got my car back this morning with replaced front drop links and steering bump stops.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:19 PM

Ya it's still under warranty for another year or so.. I'll take it in and see what they say. I have to take it in this week anyways to fix the rear wind noise and seat motor TSBs.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 06:36 AM

Ya it's still under warranty for another year or so.. I'll take it in and see what they say. I have to take it in this week anyways to fix the rear wind noise and seat motor TSBs.

Thanks
My dealer tried to act like the wind noise wasn't out of the ordinary originally. If your dealership gives you a problem with the wind noise you can buy the foam tape for under $10 and install it yourself. I did and it makes a world of difference.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:38 PM

any car with a sport suspension is going to have a little rougher of a ride. but this is a infiniti after all and it should still ride smooth, like (n3985) said maybe shocks, a easy way to check if your shocks still have pressure in them is to jounce the front or rear of the car once you stop the car should not bounce anymore, if the car still bounces after you stop that means you need new struts.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:06 AM

"If your dealership gives you a problem with the wind noise"

They are going to fix this under warranty when I take it in next week. (They had to order the foam part)
Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 AM

sorry to jump in your thread.... (i dont have enough posts to start my own)

when did the maximas/i30s get an independant rear suspension???
i test drove a 96 maxima yesterday and it was not independant in the rear...

now im looking at a 97 i30t on friday i hope.....does it have the independant rear??
Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 AM

The I's never did have independent rear suspension. Have always used Nissan's multilink beam setup.

Although the A34, 2004+ Maximas do.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Got Projectors?

I have a bit of input now for this I think...

When I had the sport suspension stock, I thought everything was fine.

Through various aftermarket setups, and now to my current setup, my opinion has slightly changed.

I think that the springs are adequate, though the dampers (struts) are not. If anything, I think the struts are too soft.

Now that I have the sport springs on the rear with the Illuminas, I can definitely tell that the rear OEM struts were too soft (at least to me, now), and that when I crank the rear Illuminas up to 3 it gets to where I like it.

Additionally, I'm running H&R springs on the front now with the OEM struts. The H&Rs are stiffer, but not by terribly much. Though one thing I have absolutely noticed is that the front struts aren't stiff enough either. Sure, it's mostly a function of my H&R springs up front, but considering that H&Rs don't ride that much differently from stock, I wonder if the same applies with OEM front springs.

In any case, I'll be switching the front struts back out again for Illuminas and try that at a 2 setting and hopefully I'll be happy. Additionally, I'm going to try a new set of bumpstops...micro-cellular urethane foam type stops that are progressive and should be much more tolerable upon impact. The stops themselves are progressive rather than the rubber, linear stops that come on the cars (and consequently deform rather than compress/absorb). They're also the type of stops used on VWs, commonly praised for their ability to absorb harsh impacts.

I guess I'll find out for sure near the end of this month.

I'm hoping this will make the ride more controlled and less harsh when it does impact the bump stops.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 95gxe
My dealer tried to act like the wind noise wasn't out of the ordinary originally. If your dealership gives you a problem with the wind noise you can buy the foam tape for under $10 and install it yourself. I did and it makes a world of difference.
Can you link me to details on this subject. I went on a road trip last week and heard a slight wind noise coming from the passenger side rear window. I have another trip I'm taking this w/e so it'd be great to fix this b4 I leave out.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by falconey
Can you link me to details on this subject. I went on a road trip last week and heard a slight wind noise coming from the passenger side rear window. I have another trip I'm taking this w/e so it'd be great to fix this b4 I leave out.
http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/wi...ind_noise.html
Old 05-10-2006, 01:52 PM

Apparently, most of the rough ride was due to the tires. Although the tires still had good tread, they were some no name tires. I put new tires on the car and it drives a LOT smoother. (About like my old maxima)

So I have a set of almost new no-name 225-50-17 tires for sale now
Old 05-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My I35 is out of warranty, wind noise

What can I do or where can I go to get the replacement foam for my rear windows. I have the same problem with mine.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:02 AM

theres weatherstripping u can get at the store.. And there is also a kit that Nissan sells for this problem this is basically just some foam weatherstripping
Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 PM

Hate to bump an old thread, However I have no yet met my post minimum to create my own topic. On the topic of suspension however....

I'm looking into a Tein setup for my 98 I30, I know they are compatible w/ the maxima of the same model year. I have heard mixed reviews, someone was bold enough to say "it's like the stock ride comfort". Is this accurate?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bostonpaintball
Hate to bump an old thread, However I have no yet met my post minimum to create my own topic. On the topic of suspension however....

I'm looking into a Tein setup for my 98 I30, I know they are compatible w/ the maxima of the same model year. I have heard mixed reviews, someone was bold enough to say "it's like the stock ride comfort". Is this accurate?

Sorry this is totally OT but boston paintball (The place) kicks ***, but I never got a chance to play there.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BTW I felt my I35 rode harsh too. I now have Eibach springs with illumina shocks and I find the ride really no harsher than stock, and most people consider these rough riding springs.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by bostonpaintball

Pretty much no lowering spring will retain stock ride comfort. Even the most comfort-geared spring/strut combo will still be more uncomfortable than stock (provided your stock suspension isn't shot).
Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
Sorry this is totally OT but boston paintball (The place) kicks ***, but I never got a chance to play there.
Thanks for the props bro.... I work for Boston Paintball and play of a sponsored company team.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Since you guys are on the lines of suspension....i have an 2002 infiniti i35 and am thinking of buying shocks and springs from cattman performance. I have herard though that some cars supension are specificly designed for that car and if you lower it problems could arise or its unsafe. Does anyone have any information on this or have dropped their own car and what you have experienced?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Got Projectors?

If you lower the car too much (with springs) it will handle and ride miserably.

Other than that, spring/strut selection is based purely on what you want out of your new suspension. Provided that the installation is good, the new suspension should be perfectly safe.

I've gone through several suspension setups. I highly recommend Tokico Illuminas no matter what springs you run (even if stock). As for springs...that's personal preference. I've run Tein S-techs, Tein H-Techs, stock, and currently stock rear springs and H&R fronts with Illuminas.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well thats good to know that it is not unsafe as long as you dont do it wrong....can anyone say anymore about this topic?