Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Bring Back the I35 for 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM

Wow, lots of I35 haters here. FWIW...I'll take my i35 over the I30 any day of the week
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Armed and Dangerous

...Can you imagine dropping $75 grand and going through the regular Nissan service and dealership experince?[/QUOTE]

That would be a nightmare I don't even wan't to think about. For this reason alone, the GTR MUST be an Infiniti.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Kevin
Wow, lots of I35 haters here. FWIW...I'll take my i35 over the I30 any day of the week
I don't think any one is saying they hate the I35.

I have never driven the I35, but I sat in one at the Denver auto show it and it was a lot nicer than my I30.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by i30ds
I don't think any one is saying they hate the I35.

I have never driven the I35, but I sat in one at the Denver auto show it and it was a lot nicer than my I30.
I agree. I love my I35 for what it is. In regards to what I had said previously, it was within the context of what Infiniti is offering now.

In my opinion, Infiniti should not re-introduce a FWD based platform. Establishing a solid brand identity is key to bringing in potential customers. Part of that is not offering cars based on Nissan's sold in the US. This is with exception to the QX56.

The G20 was based on the Primera, not sold here. But too many assumed it was a glorified Sentra. Many understood that the I series was a Maxima in nicer clothes. When the ASSUMPTION of cheapness is associated, the brand suffers. Lexus has done a better job of handling this than Infiniti, but many Lexus loyalists agree that the ES needs to become RWD/AWD to be appreciated by "die-hards."

FWD platforms do not fit in with where Infiniti is going. AWD is an option on the G and M for those in inclement weather.

The I35 is a great car for my commute. I purchased used for 16,500 fully loaded including NAVI. The used G35's were 22k plus. Not worth it for what I need. I'll upgrade in a few years to a new or maybe used G35 sedan. On second thought, maybe I am biased. IMO G35 > I35. TQ steer FTL.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by i30ds
...Can you imagine dropping $75 grand and going through the regular Nissan service and dealership experince?
That would be a nightmare I don't even wan't to think about. For this reason alone, the GTR MUST be an Infiniti.[/QUOTE]

That, and the people that generally have $75k to drop on a car at any given moment will generally look for something a little more prestigious in terms of the badge.

Look at the VW Phaeton. (VW quality issues aside) The Phaeton was supposedly a very nice, very capable car. But how many people are A) Going to spend $70-90k on something that's a VW and B) Be satisfied when taking it to the dealer for service (when people with $25k Jettas say the VW dealer service experience is complete hell).
Old 03-07-2006, 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=teksurv]FWD platforms do not fit in with where Infiniti is going. AWD is an option on the G and M for those in inclement weather.
QUOTE]

I don't agree with that. There's nothing wrong with an upscale Maxima, as long as that Maxima is desirable in the first place (not the current gen!). I always held the belief that Nissan should have brought over the Teana as an I and also used that platform for a Maxima.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=teksurv]I agree. I love my I35 for what it is. In regards to what I had said previously, it was within the context of what Infiniti is offering now.

The G20 was based on the Primera, not sold here. But too many assumed it was a glorified Sentra.

The primera/G20/sentra same car no difference trust drove the primera and sentra back home all same except the obvious
Old 03-07-2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by naijai
The primera/G20/sentra same car no difference trust drove the primera and sentra back home all same except the obvious
I recently drove a G20, damn those were some cheap *** cars! I can't even believe Infiniti sold that thing here until 2002. Maybe it wasn't so bad when it was out, but even 4 years later, it seems so outdated and cheap.....and slow!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=I30t KID]
Originally Posted by teksurv
FWD platforms do not fit in with where Infiniti is going. AWD is an option on the G and M for those in inclement weather.
QUOTE]

I don't agree with that. There's nothing wrong with an upscale Maxima, as long as that Maxima is desirable in the first place (not the current gen!). I always held the belief that Nissan should have brought over the Teana as an I and also used that platform for a Maxima.
teana is the maxima platform, just different body work and definitely a much more inventive interior
Old 03-08-2006, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=naijai]
Originally Posted by teksurv
I agree. I love my I35 for what it is. In regards to what I had said previously, it was within the context of what Infiniti is offering now.

The G20 was based on the Primera, not sold here. But too many assumed it was a glorified Sentra.

Umm...I respect that you have an opinion here. The Sentra/Sunny platform is nothing like the Primera/G20 platform. Size aside. Drive a 2k Sentra SE, then drive a 2k G20. Both have the same motor, but they do not handle at all similar.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:41 PM

I disagree and think Infiniti 'COULD' use a FWD car in their lineup (be it the I or M or whatever). Not everyone cares for RWD. Obviously Infiniti is heading towards the sports car market and heck even the FX SUV is not your typical SUV; it is more sports oriented. I can see why Infiniti do not want FWD (at the moment), but I think they are losing BIG market share to Lexus and everyone else (who can actually buy the cars) who offers FWD... Who knows, maybe this sets up a good divide that works out well where if you are sensible go buy the Lexus and if you want sporty ness go buy the Infiniti.

Case in point, a co-worker has an I30 and wanted to trade it in for something newer. He considered the G35, but found out it is RWD. At his age he is not looking or want RWD (snows here in Philly) and AWD incurs an unnecessary cost (doesn't snow THAT much to warrant AWD).

Let me ask you guys this. How many of you guys in this forum actually bought your car new??? I still believe the average new car buyer into entry luxury market is someone who is looking for a FWD car.

My 2 pennies.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by PhillyDonut
Let me ask you guys this. How many of you guys in this forum actually bought your car new??? I still believe the average new car buyer into entry luxury market is someone who is looking for a FWD car.

My 2 pennies.
I bought mine new.

But then again, I think I'm an atypical case.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:04 PM

That is certainly a valid opinion. I understand that some simply prefer FWD. I find it intersting that entry level Japanese luxury is associated with FWD. If my wife's TSX was RWD, it would be a whole different animal.

Here in SoCal (Yes, no snow) the BMW 3 series sells far far more than any TSX, ES, I30/35 in it's time, or even G35's. I see the G35 as a superior car for the money, with 3 series like handling out of the box. With modern TCS and VDC, the old school worries of RWD are mostly gone/dealt with.

Again here in SoCal, people over age 50 tend to purchase midsize-fullsize luxury vehicles. Most of them are RWD. My Dad for instance is 65, and drives an 04 MB E320. He like most here don't much care either way RWD/FWD.

Snowbelt areas are a different market, I admit that. I guess what I am saying is that BMW/MB have no problems selling RWD cars in any class. Infiniti shouldn't either.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If the M35 is around the i35 will not make a return
Old 03-08-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 95gxe
True in every aspect except price. An M3/45 can run upwards of 50k. Folks looking at an ES wouldn't look at the M because it's marketed to those that would want the Lex GS. My point is that there is a large share of the market that Infiniti is not taking advantage of.

G35 - IS250/350
???? - ES 330
M35/45 - GS 300/430
Q45 - LS460
QX56 - LX 470
FX35/45 - GX 470
FX35/45 - RX 330
G35 Coupe - SC 430 (Not direct competors but both coupes and the G way outsells the Lex)
fx is not in competition with the lexus gx. there is a hole left there by the demise of the qx4
Old 03-08-2006, 09:26 PM

I really like the direction Infiniti is going. I do think FWD would get more customers, but I also realize that they want to go after BMW. So, for image sake, they are on the right track. In 10, 15 years, they'll make up sales lost by not having a FWD car. They'll have greater prestige and be taken more seriously.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=teksurv]
Originally Posted by naijai

Umm...I respect that you have an opinion here. The Sentra/Sunny platform is nothing like the Primera/G20 platform. Size aside. Drive a 2k Sentra SE, then drive a 2k G20. Both have the same motor, but they do not handle at all similar.
I parked next to a late nineties Sentra today and you can really see the styling similarities between the two. The Cefiro is just a bigger version of it.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:17 PM
01 I30 .. aka White Diamond

Just to chime in my two cents ...

Infiniti is trying claim it's place in the market of RWD vehicles. They wouldn't offer a FWD vehicle when they have changed the traction control on their RWD vehicles so much that it out performs any FWD vehicle. They found something special with the Q45, and are really moving forward. They were the first that I remember to put RWD on their flagship car, and people responded well to it. The Q rivals the A8, and the 745 and cost 25K cheaper with more bells and whistles.

People who want the Camry over the ES are they same people who order the 4 Nugget Happy meal instead of the 6 pc value meal. They can't afford it!! They think they have the same thing, when in reality they waste money getting less!

The G35 has is the entry level luxary for Infiniti, and the M is redfining their place in the market. I love my I30 and when the time is right, I'll get it. But I won't go from a '01 I30 to a 2007 Maxima!! I want the 9 pc nugget meal!

feel me!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:34 PM

There was some discussion on the Teana way back when this post was alive...
No word on if it will be an Infiniti or not, but it would fit the description of the original post.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8969.html
Old 08-28-2006, 04:41 PM

I just want to confirm, I30/I35 are FWD correct ?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by 00I30T420
I just want to confirm, I30/I35 are FWD correct ?
Last time I checked
Old 08-28-2006, 08:56 PM

A new I-30/35 could be a good seller for Infiniti. I don't think it will ever happen though. If they did, it would have to be squarely aimed at the Lexus ES. People do still want FWD for various reasons. I also don't think it would hurt Infiniti to have a FWD. It has'nt hurt Lexus.

I think Infiniti could kick lexus a** on a ES competitor if people ever knew about the damn things. I have never seen an ad for the I. I'm sure ones got to exist somewhere. I still have people asking me who makes Infiniti. They are finally making good advertising, but too late for the I.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 95gxe
True in every aspect except price. An M3/45 can run upwards of 50k. Folks looking at an ES wouldn't look at the M because it's marketed to those that would want the Lex GS. My point is that there is a large share of the market that Infiniti is not taking advantage of.
but um... if the new I were to be RWD, bigger than the G, and cheaper than the lexus product, would that not cannibalize the M?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 AM

I don't believe it would "Cannibalize" the M at all. There would be just 2 entry level cars for Infiniti just like Lexus. Honestly, I think it would be smart to bring back the I35 as FWD and let it be the only one in their lineup of course. IS and ES are both entry-level cars. One is sport-sedan and the other is lux-sedan, just like the G35 and I35 would be, except we have the option for a Coupe as well, which is actually meant to compete with the 3 Series coupe which isn't even coming out 'til 2007 anyway. So I look at it as we'd be competitive from all angles and maybe even ahead of the competition.

There's absolutely NO need to have a strictly all RWD/AWD lineup. Believe it or not, they are losing customers that way. Atleast if they made a FWD car, it will give the people who want and love Infiniti's or maybe interested in switching over to Infiniti a shot at getting one without boosting up the price 5G's or more just to attain an AWD version because they live in a Cold Climate area. Not everybody wants an RWD car, including myself, my boy who has an 01 IS and many others that are friends of mine and also people that I read about. They're great yes, but also not everybody can afford to have 2 cars or want to risk using the RWD in the winter time, regardless of what type of tires you have on. On top of that, it took Infiniti 2 years after the new G came out to make the "X" AWD version...wow, how brilliant of them.

Bottom line is, I don't see it takin away from sales of the G because people that want a more sport tuned car, will stick with the G regardless and they will decide on sedan or coupe depending on their taste. People who got alot of money or just really want to be in debt paying $800 a month for 5 years will still get their M35/45 series car, but people who want a classy Infiniti car like the M, but just simply can't afford it, but not really interested in the G because of the extra luxury options the I35 has over it, whether it be woodgrain/aluminum trim decorations, ride quality, body size, spacious/roomy interior, design, lights, etc. etc. whatever the case might be...can finally get that fresh, new Infiniti that they've been desiring since the A32/A33 models.

Just my .02.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
... interesting in switching over to Infiniti a shot at getting one without boosting up the price 5G's or more just to attain an AWD version because they live in a Cold Climate area. ...
Do you believe that the Infiniti traction control system doesn't compensate drivers in area prone to snow?

I have the TC on my 01 I30, and when it indicates slipping, it compensates the loss.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:46 AM

What exactly are you trying to say? Aren't the 2000-2002 I30's FWD? So there's no relevance with them to a RWD car that has TCS on them, if they even do have it because it's still a totally different drivetrain with no weight to the wheels in the front.

Anyways, no because if it did then there would be no need for the X models and 250 AWD for Lexus. I know so many people that want the IS 350 so bad, but are goin with the 250 instead just for AWD and the same goes with the G35X and well, now the M35X. Everyone has different tastes tho, but the majority on a whole feels more comfortable with an AWD or FWD when it comes to snow regardless of what options are intertwined into the cars system/computer. However, nothing is gonna help you if there's ice, but that's a whole nother story.

Bottom line is, if that was the case these companies would never have wasted time, effort and money to create an AWD version of these cars. So with that being said, I believe it's very much of a concern.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:56 PM

So for those living in high rain/snow areas, what are the most common luxury makes seen on the road in the winter?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:06 PM

... Everyone has different tastes tho, but the majority on a whole feels more comfortable with an AWD or FWD when it comes to snow regardless of what options are intertwined into the cars system/computer ...
I agree, however I do believe the changes and advances in technology make driving a RWD a lot easier then it was back in the 70's.

Thinking outside of the box and not as a consumer, but as a business man ...
Why would I make a product that would eliminate 30 pecent of my customer base. If Infiniti didn't make the X models, would those cars not sell in certain markets?

They haven't had too much trouble selling the Q in those regions exept to those who couldn't afford it anyways.

A lot, not all people purchase AWD because they lack the commn sense to alter their driving behavior during those inclimate weather times
Old 08-30-2006, 06:55 AM

1) I was going to get a G35 for my wife until I found out it was RWD. No way I'm letting her drive RWD in the snow here in PA. So I bought an I30 for myself instead.

2) The closest Infiniti dealer to me is 60 miles away in a different state. I have no idea what that has to do with this thread, but it sucks and I felt it should be mentioned cuz maybe someone else knows what it has to do with this thread.

3) Carnal, your avatar is freakin hilarious. Again, no relevance to the topic, but it needed to be said.

That is all.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by flewdawg
Thinking outside of the box and not as a consumer, but as a business man ...
Why would I make a product that would eliminate 30 pecent of my customer base.
What exactly were you referring to when you mentioned this? Other than that, I understand what you're saying and believe you do have some valid points on your side as well.

In a nutshell, I just personally IMO don't think it would be a bad idea, nor hurt Infiniti at all to bring back the I35 solely as the only FWD vehicle in their lineup. Who knows *shruggs shoulders* maybe they have it in mind or maybe it's totally out of the picture just like the last 4 years. Oh well, time will tell I guess.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Banned

The I35 represents a point in time when Nissan was testing the waters with a luxury nameplate by making small changes to the Maxima. If they bring back the I35 its essentially going to be a 6th gen maxima with some different stying cues, It would not be a worthwhile effort.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 AM

What exactly were you referring to when you mentioned this? Other than that, I understand what you're saying and believe you do have some valid points on your side as well.
I was merely saying that I don't think Infiniti would position themselves to miss out on a major part of their customer base by doing that.

In a nutshell, I just personally IMO don't think it would be a bad idea, nor hurt Infiniti at all to bring back the I35 solely as the only FWD vehicle in their lineup. Who knows *shruggs shoulders* maybe they have it in mind or maybe it's totally out of the picture just like the last 4 years. Oh well, time will tell I guess.
Bad idea? ... Not at all. I would probably be one of the ones to buy one. If we look at where the auto industry is going as for as luxuary cars, we have to ask one question. If the market it pushing towards RWD luxary cars, why would they waste time producing FWD vehicles that customers as a whole, don't want.

Maybe I'm missing the reason for RWD, and hopefully my research will allow me to make a more informative response.

Thanks for the conversation, it's stimulating!! *thumbs up*
Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by flewdawg
Maybe I'm missing the reason for RWD, and hopefully my research will allow me to make a more informative response.

Thanks for the conversation, it's stimulating!! *thumbs up*
I think you will find a number of opinions to answer "why" RWD. Let's take it from a performance perspective. Most on this site have an interest in how their car performs. IMHO, Maxima's (FWD) sucks ***** in handling, particularly with spirited canyon runs, or any situation involving steering while accellerating. RWD is so much more predictable, and if the rear starts to slide out, you modulate the throttle a bit and she swings back in line. TCS, VDC, and whatever else negates a lot of concern these days in RWD especially. FWD, the wheel jerks, power and steering in the front, to me, feels far more scary.

Keep in mind, I don't live in a harsh weather area, so my perspective is based on my conditions. Think of it this way, imagine you have a Home Depot cart full of bricks. Would it be easier to get behind the basket and push (RWD) or get in front and pull (FWD)?

I've said it before, I like my I35 for what it is, a freeway commuter. Even lowered, RSB, whatever, it was never meant to handle like anything other than grocery getting and kid hauling. If that's what you are looking for, buy a Maxima, or ES/TL. If you've driven a G35, you will immediately feel the difference in handling. While they are not the same chassis, you still get an idea. Stomp on the go pedal in the G, the steering wheel stays straight. Do so in the I, and well, hold tight.

If I did live in the snowbelt, I would prefer AWD to FWD anyway. It seems to make more sense to have available power at whatever wheel needs it; and today's AWD systems are quite intelligent.

/end ramble
Old 08-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I live in the snowbelt and I would still take RWD... I think I'll survive. Thats why the next car is most definately going to be RWD. Goodbye wheel hop... Goodbye torque steer.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yep, i agree
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 PM

Why i35? You can load up the 6th gen and come out to the same level of luxury and price... just less of a logo
Old 08-30-2006, 09:29 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by Kevin
Strongly disagree with that statement. Test drive a G, it is many levels better then the I.
no it's not. those are completly different cars. it's like comparing a maxima and 3 series bmw. apples and oranges.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
Why i35? You can load up the 6th gen and come out to the same level of luxury and price... just less of a logo
Not quite. You'd have a much different dealership experience and shorter warranty without the roadside assistance and free loaner. These things may seem small to some. But with the target audience Infiniti is reaching for these things could be deal breakers. Not to mention that we are extremely brand conscious in this country.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Not to mention you would get a crappy 3 year 36K warranty instead of a 5 year 60K.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Even though the I30/I35 was not a big seller, I must say that it was sad to see it go. Being a satisfied I30 owner, I would've gladly purchased another.