Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Got tint, any advice on how not to get caught?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:58 PM

if thats what he says, then that is what he says
Old 12-22-2004, 08:10 PM

I just got tints today and I'm f*ckin pissed off. I seen a kid with a Black/Black 6th Gen with his sh*t tinted and asked him what he had. He said 20%, so I was like aight bet I'mma go get 20% too then cuz his sh*t looked good. Well, I get 20% and it's light as f*ck. Either he ain't know what he was talkin about, or they ain't put the right percentage. Anyway, I'm either gonna have the shop take it off and redo em to 5% or just wait a while and put 5% right over that later on. I don't care what percent it is, cuz either way it's illegal, but I just want it dark and MY "20%" is not even CLOSE to dark.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:24 PM

What's up Max. Just have to say that your whip is hot; and it was good having you at the CT meet. As far as tint goes, I have the front driver & passenger door at 35% and the rears at 20%. Some people tend to get the percent rating mixed up. Just make sure that you get a lifetime warranty from whoever does the tints.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
I just got tints today and I'm f*ckin pissed off. I seen a kid with a Black/Black 6th Gen with his sh*t tinted and asked him what he had. He said 20%, so I was like aight bet I'mma go get 20% too then cuz his sh*t looked good. Well, I get 20% and it's light as f*ck. Either he ain't know what he was talkin about, or they ain't put the right percentage. Anyway, I'm either gonna have the shop take it off and redo em to 5% or just wait a while and put 5% right over that later on. I don't care what percent it is, cuz either way it's illegal, but I just want it dark and MY "20%" is not even CLOSE to dark.
Seems to me like they used low quality tint or gave you the wrong percent. I have 35% on my car and most of the time it is dark enough so that you can't see a whole lot inside, though you can still see some. My friend with a gold (similar to pebble beige) Catera has 20% and you really can't see inside at all unless you're up close and in the light.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by AllMaxxedOut
What's up Max. Just have to say that your whip is hot; and it was good having you at the CT meet. As far as tint goes, I have the front driver & passenger door at 35% and the rears at 20%. Some people tend to get the percent rating mixed up. Just make sure that you get a lifetime warranty from whoever does the tints.
Ay man, thanks alot I appreciate it. There were so many Maxes there that I can't recall which one was yours off the top of my head right now.

As for the tint, yeah I def. asked for 20% and after lookin at infintishock pics mine looks about the same darkness of tint. I honestly believe now that they gave me 35%. I know people say to use Lumar Tint, but I couldn't find a shop that used that type. The shop that did mine used Johnson? The 20% can't be THAT different though, no matter what the brand name. The job itself is good and clean, but I'm pissed about the darkness as I feel it is def. not 20% now. He said to come back in 4 days for some touch ups, which I never heard anyone speak of before? So when I go back I'mma tell him straight up that I put it side by side with my boys 35% on Beige interior and they were the exact same, so I want darker thatn that bullsh*t and no I ain't payin for that sh*t. If money comes up, there's gonna be problems.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:39 PM

I've never heard of coming back for "touch-ups" either; I own a detailing shop and we never tell customers to come back for touch-ups when our tinters come to tint a vehicle. As for my tint, I'm happy with the 35%, especially because I didn't want to have to worry about cops, but I like 20% too and if yours looks like mine then you should go back. Ask them to prove that its 20% or something, maybe someone can get a hold of a meter, doubtful but worth a try.

I've never heard of Johnson tint but it shouldn't have too much to do with it because 20% is 20%. I have SunTek tint on mine, which I found is even better than 3M just as good as Lumar, and I know a few other shops around here use it as well. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:48 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. My brother lived in SF for a year and his car has 5% all around. He was never bothered. Wanna trade living locations? I promise here in Knoxville TN they won't mess with you. LOL......nah man you should be fine

well i have 2 friends with tint here in san francisco, and both have been pulled over and got a fix it ticket for tint. i'm not sure if they were pulled over just for tint or if it started from some other violation, but i don't ever recall them getting speeding violations. all they got were fix it tickets for tint, so that must have been it...
Old 12-23-2004, 10:39 PM

I live in SF too and I have 35% all around. Once I got pulled over by CHP and the cop told me he first noticed my tint then saw that I had expired tags and pulled me over. Other than that I've gotten more than my fair share of speeding tickets and the cops never mentioned the tint. A good friend of mine got a fix it ticket after he was pulled over for and illegal U turn. SF cops are pretty cool and relaxed but Daly City and others can be ****s. I wouldn't worry too much about it because 35 in the front is illegal but not too bad at all. When I got pulled over for my tint, I even told the cop that is was "just 35" and he took a quick look and let me go without even a fix it ticket.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:40 AM

i had my camry a few years back tinted with johnsons tint
Old 01-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yikes! Some incorrect info on here I thought I should clear up. This is only for California.

1) Tint is not a fix it ticket no more.

2) Yes, a cop can give you a ticket for just tint and nothing else. I guess correspondingly, there's no "secondary violation" thing. A violation is a violation. There's only infraction vs. misdemeanor vs. felony.

3) A good installer will not give you air bubbles. Even over the dot matrix on windows (those little dots, usually at the edge of a window). You don't need to sand, paint over, use vinyl over, etc. Those are just workarounds for not so good installers.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:43 PM

i hate those matrix dots
Old 01-03-2005, 12:41 AM

damn, well my friend went to the same installer and he has the bubbles as well. i guess i don't see a point bringing it back if they're gonna do a half-assed job again. i'm sure that if i do go back, they'll make an excuse and say oh that's normal. whatever, i just hope they don't close down in 5 years since they have a lifetime warrenty, which is how long i expect to keep my car.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 AM

you expect to keep your car for the rest of your life? very optimistic
Old 01-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lawrencel715
damn, well my friend went to the same installer and he has the bubbles as well. i guess i don't see a point bringing it back if they're gonna do a half-assed job again. i'm sure that if i do go back, they'll make an excuse and say oh that's normal. whatever, i just hope they don't close down in 5 years since they have a lifetime warrenty, which is how long i expect to keep my car.
Damn that sux! I understand your dilemna. There's always the option of asking for a refund. I dunno about making them reinstall the tint though. That's another way you can go, but if they're bad enough to give you air bubbles, they may be bad enough to screw up your car somehow. The danger is teh back window with the defrost lines.