Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

I30 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 03:09 PM

I30 Brakes

Hello everyone,

I have a 96 I30 and Im on my second set of front rotors which have warped on me. I am strating to wonder if the diameter of those rotors is too small for the weight of this car which causes excessive heat. Now my brakes are not sharp, they are the worst of all cars I had even tho I have drilled rotors. My rear rotors barely brake at all, is there a way to adjust brake bias in 96' ?

My quiestion is, which rotors and brake pads are you guys driving on? which should I get next because its time to change them, they shake the car too much during braking.

any info would be appretiated

regards, Bart.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:40 PM

**** dude i would take it to the dealer, they'll def know whats going on. i thought i had brake probs, big tado wound up just being my neons confusing the abs. Besides that i had a whole in my master cylinder, very small, i would just take it to the dealer. u may have the wrong pads on or the wrong rotors, very possible. they would def know though.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Don't go to the dealer...and please don't get neons either.

No, we cannot adjust the bias on our cars.

I have never warped a rotor on my car and I have never seen anything to suggest that the size of them is not large enough for our car. The drilled rotors might be your problem.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:33 PM

hey man when it comes to sumthing as serious as the brakes to me itds worth the extra cashi of having it checked out by ppl who know the car best. BUT i wouldnt get work done by them. Rip off like no tomorrow
Old 10-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I actually agree that getting it looked at by a shop is a good idea sometimes, but getting the work done is another thing....especially if it is the dealer. **Most of the time there will be extra work recomeneded that does not really need to be done, trust me I used to work sales an an automotive repair shop
Old 11-05-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
Besides that i had a whole in my master cylinder, very small
Did your brake pedal get firmer when they put new master cylinder in?

regards, Bart
Old 11-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skorpio
Hello everyone,

I have a 96 I30 and Im on my second set of front rotors which have warped on me. I am strating to wonder if the diameter of those rotors is too small for the weight of this car which causes excessive heat. Now my brakes are not sharp, they are the worst of all cars I had even tho I have drilled rotors. My rear rotors barely brake at all, is there a way to adjust brake bias in 96' ?

My quiestion is, which rotors and brake pads are you guys driving on? which should I get next because its time to change them, they shake the car too much during braking.

any info would be appretiated

regards, Bart.

no problems at all for me in my 96 I30.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:06 AM

it did get firmer. my brakes felt weird to me b/c i had been used to the brakes in my moms car. she has a volvo s80, so that thing has a sensitive *** break and stops so fast.

I hate the brakes on my car so much. when the OD is on the breaks are all pressure sensitive. i know you are thinking like duh, but i was reading the manual on my car cause i was bored, and it said that the brakes are like diff. my ABS kicks in my faster with OD on then OD off. When my OD is off its like normal breaks, but with OD on, the pedal goes to the floor much faster when stopping per foot then with OD off. i dont know it seems very weird to me, and i dont like it. ill have to look again to see exactly what it says.

I agree the dealer is a rip off, sumtiem they ssay they replace parts when they only clean up thre parts and fix em and put em back in. thats why u should always ask for the parts that they have replaced.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
it did get firmer.
I have asked because I can bottom out my brake pedal every time and I dont have air in the system. I have bled my brakes twice aleady and it is stil the same. Maybe I should look into changing my master cylinder. Maybe that would fix my brake problem.

thanks for reply

regards, Bart.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
No, we cannot adjust the bias on our cars.
Why do you think my rear rotos are rusty, meaning that rear brakes barely work. I have removed calipers and stepped on brake and cylinder popped out without any problems so they are not seazed. I just cant figure those brakes out.

Spongy pedal and rear almost doesnt work. To engage ABS on dry surface is almost impossible.

regards, Bart.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:18 PM

well i can floor my pedal if im stopped int he drieway withthe czar off and then i pump it and pressure builds, and when the car is on i can bottom out the breaks while in park, i hate that i bottom it so easily to, try with ur OD on and your OD off youll notice a diff int he brakes
Old 11-08-2004, 01:00 AM

My dear SKORPIO,
as for me, i'm using 2002 I30 (in Thailand tho). I know, for real, that the original breaks that equiped with all NISSAN's/INFINITI's $uck!!! PPL all over Thailand know this fact. and you should amid this fact too. the good way to solve this problem is very simple but not "THAT" simple. here is the way i do it. I got sick of my breaks too, so i went out to second-hand-market (THAILAND) and search for a better solution. I found out that the NISSAN SKYLINE GTR R32 break set would do the job!!! see, our "INFINITI's" are nothing compare to the GTR (japanese spec would be originally 280 hp out of the voom). So i got the whole set! with a little mod and it will fit perfectly! you don't have to go "BREMBO" nor "ENDLESS" all those expensive stuffs. that's kinda wasting ur $. biger rotor w/ bigger grills on the rotor's rim would release the excess heat perfectly! REMEMBER, i said the whole set, meaning w/ calipers. these calipers are monsters! once u floor the break pedal...u might fly thru ur windshield. I'm using it and happy with it. try it. it's worth the try. for me i got this set for only 500 bucks!!! and it's great!!!! (in THAILAND, u can get any good cheap parts. ONLY IN THAILAND!!!)
Old 11-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How about you get some Brembos zinc plated rotors... They dont warp
Old 11-08-2004, 06:24 AM

SKORPiO,
If I stepped on my brakes and they went to the floor I would have them looked at by a good mechanic. It dosen't have to be the dealer just a reputable shop should be able to do a good job on brakes. Don't take any chances with brakes.
Vince
Old 11-08-2004, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Crux 3:16
I'm using it and happy with it. try it. it's worth the try. for me i got this set for only 500 bucks!!! and it's great!!!!
From what I understand, its not exactly a bolt-on installation. What does it take to install this set? Are there any custom brackets necesary? What about abs sensors? Does master cylinder and abs module stay the same?

regards, Bart.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by vincel
SKORPiO,
If I stepped on my brakes and they went to the floor I would have them looked at by a good mechanic. It dosen't have to be the dealer just a reputable shop should be able to do a good job on brakes. Don't take any chances with brakes.
Vince
Well its not exactly what you think,

I can bottom out the pedal after Ill apply quite a bit of force. It is rubbery enough to bottom out, but just like Ive said, I need to really step on it. I have never had a car where something like this took place. Maybe its just me wigging out or maybe there is a problem..... but Im a cheap m**f**er and Ill probably never gonna see a car mechanic. Ill probably waste a lot of time and figure it out by myself

regards, Bart.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by SKORPiO
From what I understand, its not exactly a bolt-on installation. What does it take to install this set? Are there any custom brackets necesary? What about abs sensors? Does master cylinder and abs module stay the same?

regards, Bart.
yes there will be some custom parts. that would be (i don't really know how to call it in english tho) the arms holding the calipers. the original one won't be long enuf. for me i have the steel outlet (in Thailand) made just for me in aluminum. that is how u hold it in place since the rotor is bigger and all.
another thing is the hand break, see, our cars are FF not FR. so replacing the break set in the back will take away the handbreak thingy too.. what u do is to buy an add-on hand break set. and that's it.
For the ABS....i don't know about u and the law there. but for me, i don't need that thing. cuz in panic u don't steer away any way. u just ram!!! so....ABS or no ABS...don't make any different for me.... but know this, all the RACE cars on the track don't have that system
OH if u have this set on (GTR r32+) you have to change ur wheels to anything bigger than 17"
Old 11-09-2004, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Crux 3:16
yes there will be some custom parts. that would be (i don't really know how to call it in english tho) the arms holding the calipers. the original one won't be long enuf. for me i have the steel outlet (in Thailand) made just for me in aluminum. that is how u hold it in place since the rotor is bigger and all.
another thing is the hand break, see, our cars are FF not FR. so replacing the break set in the back will take away the handbreak thingy too.. what u do is to buy an add-on hand break set. and that's it.
For the ABS....i don't know about u and the law there. but for me, i don't need that thing. cuz in panic u don't steer away any way. u just ram!!! so....ABS or no ABS...don't make any different for me.... but know this, all the RACE cars on the track don't have that system
OH if u have this set on (GTR r32+) you have to change ur wheels to anything bigger than 17"
Sounds like nothing I would like to get into. The value of this car is dropping and it would be silly to push any more money into it. Besides I have problems with idle and some other little things. Maybe when Ill get I35, Ill consider more upgrades.

Thank You for all the info, I really appretiate it.

regards, Bart.