Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

semi-metallic back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:06 PM

semi-metallic back to stock?

I read in a bike mag many many moons ago that it was bad to go from one type of brake pad to another on the same rotor. something about the 1st set of pads burning residue into the rotors and causing the new pads to slip instead of bite down. unfortunately I dont remember what types of pads the article was refering to. I dont care much for my current pads, but I'd like to keep the rotors.
I'm currently running axis metal masters on brembo rotors...would there be any issues changing the semi-metallic pads back to the stock ceramic pads?

TIA
Old 07-27-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by iRaMarine
I read in a bike mag many many moons ago that it was bad to go from one type of brake pad to another on the same rotor. something about the 1st set of pads burning residue into the rotors and causing the new pads to slip instead of bite down. unfortunately I dont remember what types of pads the article was refering to. I dont care much for my current pads, but I'd like to keep the rotors.
I'm currently running axis metal masters on brembo rotors...would there be any issues changing the semi-metallic pads back to the stock ceramic pads?

TIA
If you were to get your rotors resurfaced then there would be no grooves from the previous pads.. you do this normally anyway if you've left your brake change to late and the warning indicator on the brake pad has scratched the disc OR you keep braking hard as and have warped it a bit ... there is a minimum thickness required otherwise the shop isn't allowed to resurface them too
Old 07-27-2005, 11:44 PM

I'm more worried about the semi-metallics bonding to the rotor and preventing ceramics pads from working properly than grooves cut in the rotors from current the pads.
I suppose resurfacing the rotors would eliminate this concern...but I didn't really consider resurfacing the rotors because they are less than a year old and they are dimpled. I'm a bit iffy about resurfacing them because I'd hate to catch the bit in a dimple. It seems kinda dangerous to me, even though the bit barely touches the rotor.