Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

No complaints about this loaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No complaints about this loaner

My G35 coupe is in for 7,500 service today at Miller Infiniti in Van Nuys. As a free loaner, they gave me a new 2004 I35 with only 5,500 miles on it. That’s impressive, as I expected some older, beat up car off the lot. And driving the I35 takes me back somewhat to my 5th gen Maxima GLE days. The only downside is being reminded that the power seat adjustment features with memory on the I35 are not available on my own car.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Got Projectors?

Glad you liked it. I always get a G35 loaner and feel the same way.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:42 AM

Servicing at dealership

My 1998 I30 has abt 99k miles and just wondering if I need to do those 'regular maintenance' stuff only at the dealer from now on?!? Can you plz tell sthg abt it Metaorbit?
Old 02-26-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by flthere
My 1998 I30 has abt 99k miles and just wondering if I need to do those 'regular maintenance' stuff only at the dealer from now on?!? Can you plz tell sthg abt it Metaorbit?
Why would you have the dealer do regular maintenance stuff? Is it regarding your mileage? I think you should be able to do most of the stuff yourself because it would be much cheaper...unless your vehicle is still under some kind of warranty.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Got Projectors?

I'm with Asian_NO2. There's really no reason to get your maintenance done at the dealer unless you're under warranty or just like the convenience of having a loaner car + the interior & exterior clean.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:22 PM

Thanks Asian and Metaorbit ... It's no more under warranty. I don't wanna go to Pepboys and any such ppl as I believe they'll royally screw it up, I've to find a trusted mechanic in this area. I moved recently here. Thank you both for your advice.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:40 PM

I know dealers charge a bit more, but there are inherent advantages to going there. In addition to warranty work, they have all the TSB’s to solve problems specific for your car, and they usually have parts available on site. Also, they have mechanics that work on your car type every day. Their experience with Infinitis, let’s say, may not be found elsewhere. Additionally, auto makers often send mechanics to school just to learn the fine points on working on a specific car.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Magellan
I know dealers charge a bit more, but there are inherent advantages to going there. In addition to warranty work, they have all the TSB’s to solve problems specific for your car, and they usually have parts available on site. Also, they have mechanics that work on your car type every day. Their experience with Infinitis, let’s say, may not be found elsewhere. Additionally, auto makers often send mechanics to school just to learn the fine points on working on a specific car.
I'm going to go to the dealer for everything. Yeah they charge a lil more, but I added up the costs of the stuff on their list, and it actually came out about the same as if I were to take it anywhere else. I hate working on my own car, especially under warranty. The G35 loaner (or FX35, M45..whatever they have on hand) is a nice addition.... Every problem I've ever had, they've fixed for me, so no complaints yet. My Infiniti dealershop is also an Audi/Porsche dealer, I should ask them to let me try an A4 1.8T or CAbriolet hehe..but unfortunately only infiniti and audi has that program for loaners..hehe
Old 02-27-2004, 08:49 AM

Regarding recalls and TSBs, I've one question. I bought my I30 recently and the last recall notice was sent out in August 2002. How do I know/confirm that the specific part(s) in recall are replaced in my car. I don't know the previous owner as I bought the car from dealer. Do I have to goto a Infiniti dealer now to confirm this? Or is there any website where we can enter vin number of the car and check that the recall notice was served?

Thanks.

1998 I30 99k miles.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:04 PM

Also regarding TSB's (sorry for taking thread OT), do they apply internationally, or just for the US?
Old 02-29-2004, 08:38 AM

Regarding recalls and TSBs, I've one question. I bought my I30 recently and the last recall notice was sent out in August 2002. How do I know/confirm that the specific part(s) in recall are replaced in my car. I don't know the previous owner as I bought the car from dealer. Do I have to goto a Infiniti dealer now to confirm this? Or is there any website where we can enter vin number of the car and check that the recall notice was served?

Thanks.

1998 I30 99k miles.
i work for an infinti dealer and everytime you come in and have work done if there is recall that has not been competed it automaticaly prints out on the repair order. the latest one only includes some i35s and is for the cam and crank position sensor recall
Old 03-01-2004, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Magellan
My G35 coupe is in for 7,500 service today at Miller Infiniti in Van Nuys. As a free loaner, they gave me a new 2004 I35 with only 5,500 miles on it. That’s impressive, as I expected some older, beat up car off the lot. And driving the I35 takes me back somewhat to my 5th gen Maxima GLE days. The only downside is being reminded that the power seat adjustment features with memory on the I35 are not available on my own car.
hmm thats weird.. i always thought that miller infiniti in van nuys gave g35s only. Every time i've been there i only got g35s. I was even surprised the first time i saw that, i expected them to give out i35s.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by MaDdFLaSheR
hmm thats weird.. i always thought that miller infiniti in van nuys gave g35s only. Every time i've been there i only got g35s. I was even surprised the first time i saw that, i expected them to give out i35s.
I was expecting a G35s too. I wanted to see how the sedan drove, as I almost got one before I finally decided on the coupe. Maybe next time…
Old 03-07-2004, 01:54 AM

how do you like the coupe so far? any pros/cons would be appreciated... im most likely going to get a g35 coupe as a replacement car after im done with my i35
Old 03-09-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaDdFLaSheR
how do you like the coupe so far? any pros/cons would be appreciated... im most likely going to get a g35 coupe as a replacement car after im done with my i35
Someone told me that if I bought the G35 sedan I would be sorry every time I saw a coupe go by. I think that was good advice. My G35 coupe is a pleasure to drive and I’m enjoying it very much. In summary:

Pros:
Performance (280 hp)
Handling (RWD)
Styling (I enjoy just looking at it)
Gadgets (I love certain things like the dash compass, outside air temperature, RDS radio, tire pressure sensors, LED tail lights, etc.)
Service (Infiniti service is the best)

Cons:
Seat Controls (manual seat back adjustment only, other seat controls hard to reach)
Brake dust (build up on rims needs to be cleaned weekly, but brakes are now under full warranty for 36K miles on all ‘04’s).
Rattles (it takes a few months to find them all)
Manual hood Raising (No hydraulic cylinders)
Dip stick (hard to put back, you’ll curse like a sailor the first time you check the oil)
Paint (chip prone, common to all Nissan products)
Petal Emergency Brake (I would prefer the lever type found on MT models)
No Side Moldings (Perhaps this is a pro for styling, but you’ll end up selecting a parking spot very carefully. My doors are still virgins because I do this.)

And in case you’re thinking of a 350Z also, us coupe owners like to explain it this way: A 350Z is like a cheer leader arriving at a party saying, “Hey everybody, look at me!” A Coupe later enters quietly through a side door, and in a few minutes everyone turns around and asks, “Wow, who is that?”