Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

96 I30 stalls at low rpms.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:17 PM

96 I30 stalls at low rpms.

I'm new here so be gentle My mom has a 96 I30 w/ about 100k miles on the clock. Well recently, it would randomly die at low rpms like at stop lights and such. It never gave her a check engine light. She took it to the dealership and they said they could not find anything wrong w/ the car. So she gets it back and it does the same thing, just more often. She takes it back to the dealership and they supposedly put two master technicians on it to solve the problem but once again, they couldn't find anything wrong. Their guess was it was a bad coil pack but since they couldn't pinpoint which one it was, she'd have to pay $800 to replace them all

Well she just got fed up of it and bought a brand new I30 and gave me the 96 for my daily driver (my other car is a 98 Z28). Well I'm stumped as what this could be. They cleaned the injectors, said the fuel pump was fine. I'm going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that does it.

Here are the symptoms:
-Dies at low rpms
-Raw fuel smell sometimes when it dies
-Mom says she sees white smoke come out of the exhaust at times (coolant, oil?)

I thought it may be O2 sensors but won't those give you a CEL? Also, if it dies at a light and I start it back up and put it in neutral and rev it to 1000+ until it turns green, its fine.

Sorry for so much info, but I'm stumped and supposedly all of the local service department is to. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:54 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I had the same problem for a while. Is it an auto or a 5-speed?

I am not sure which one exactly fixed my problem, but here is what I did.

Raised the idle a couple hundred rpm's
cleaned the throttle body
adjusted the TPS sensor
changed the fuel filter.

It has not died on me for 9 months or so, although I get a low idle coming to a stop sometimes in neutral.

A bad coil pack could be a possiblity, but usually a misfire code will be given when a coil pack goes bad. You can check the coil packs resistance with a voltometer to see if one is bad. Or buy one new one, and swap it out with the others one by one untill it runs right, then you know which coil pack it is. But I don't think it's you coil pack.

You might want to pull you codes anyway, sometimes there can be a code w/o a CEL.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:23 AM

Today I'm going to change the fuel filter and clean the TB. Someone else suggested changing the coolant temp sensor. I had to replace one of those when I was putting the headers on my Z28 and it was pretty easy, but the engine bay is so cluttered on the I30, I can't tell where the sensor is. Anyone got any pics showing where it is?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Just go get the haynes manual, it will have to be for a Maxima though. I had not heard the coolent temp suggestion, I may do that myself....
Old 06-03-2003, 05:42 PM

Ok I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the TB although it wasn't dirty at all. I was surprised how easy this car is to work on. I had everything done and back together in about 20 minutes. And while the air box and maf was off, I was thinking about different ghetto intake mods =)

And I located the coolant temp sensor. It's on the forward most head on the drivers side. Very easy to get to.