Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

B&M Shifter Deal!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

B&M Shifter Deal!!

Hey guys and gals! I've had tons of requests for a deal on B&M shifters so here's one for you. Prices are in the link below and the Maxima shifters are all in stock and will ship as we receive orders. If you have any other questions, give me a call or post up here!

http://store.dragracing.com/gb/bmracing.asp

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-11-2004, 04:19 PM

Hey Steve, when does this end?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:47 PM

We'll set this deal to end on the 22nd of this month.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:17 PM

wow nice price!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:58 AM

The one pictured is not the actual model for Maximas is it? I thought the B&M came with the ball housing as well. Can you confirm?

I am VERY interested. I'm sick of Pacesetter.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Komax
The one pictured is not the actual model for Maximas is it? I thought the B&M came with the ball housing as well. Can you confirm?

I am VERY interested. I'm sick of Pacesetter.
The picture is for the Spec-V. It had the most little parts for a good picture. The Maxima shifter comes with the pivot, base, shifter stick, shift ****, bushings, lock nuts,washers and hex screws. Everything needed for installation is included.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:08 AM

wow your website has drastically improved i'm very temped to pick one up. i'll have to shop around.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

just picked one up, great deal swa
Old 10-13-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by frankieduxAE
wow your website has drastically improved i'm very temped to pick one up. i'll have to shop around.
Thanks, my IT guys have been working like mad to get the site to where it is. We still have quite a bit of work to do.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:43 PM

Is the shifter pictured here the same one I will be getting if I order this one. Also how long should the instal take, and how hard is it on a scale from 1 to 10.

Link

Mooney
Old 10-15-2004, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JMooney5115
Is the shifter pictured here the same one I will be getting if I order this one. Also how long should the instal take, and how hard is it on a scale from 1 to 10.

Link

Mooney
The shifter stick, base plate, and pivot look like that. The kit also includes a B&M shift ****. Installation is maybe a 5 and would take no more than 2 hours. The hardest part is getting the exhaust and heat shields out of the way. The included instructions explain everything to a T.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:12 AM

Are they EVER going to make one for the 6-speeds?
Old 10-16-2004, 06:21 AM

I ordered one this week. I am concerned with the position of the shifter being too far forward in gears 1-3-5, but I figured I wouldn't know if that would be a problem for me until I TRIED it (I don't know anyone with one I could try before I buy).
Old 10-16-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by haysdb
I ordered one this week. I am concerned with the position of the shifter being too far forward in gears 1-3-5, but I figured I wouldn't know if that would be a problem for me until I TRIED it (I don't know anyone with one I could try before I buy).
i'd like to know as well. I don't want the shifter hitting the dash in 3rd gear like my friend's pacesetter sts does. Anyone that has one - what are your impressions on this shifter? Is it worth it?
-Paul

---------------
96 SE 5speed i/y
Old 10-16-2004, 02:34 PM

no it does not not even close to the dash..... it's nice and i like it.....
Old 10-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Question about the ball...Is it aluminum or some type of metal? I also have the Pacesetter and am really tired of the notchy/stiff/almost impossible to shift resistance. Pacesetters ball is made of a hard plastic.

I'm looking at getting B&M's or even Stillens.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:58 PM

My B&M shifter arrived today.

The pivot point is a brass ball encapsulated in a delrin or polyurethan bushing. The pivot point is tight, smooth, and low friction. I wonder what form of lubrication should be used on the pivot ball, or if it would be a mistake to use anything at all? I'm almost thinking some sort of "dry" lubrication, like graphite?

The pivot "ball" sits about an inch above the factory location. This is what allows the B&M to be longer below the ball but not hit the heat shield above the catalytic converter. This should also contribute to improved "feel", not just because the joint is solid and precise, but because of the improved "geometry" vs an STS which uses the stock mounting hardware.

The quality of the components is impressive, and it's a shame it will all be covered up. The machined aluminum piece encapsulating the pivot ball is anodized blue. Ooooh, pretty.

The shaft does not have much of a bend to it, so they certainly haven't corrected THAT, and it's a pretty damn hefty piece of steel, so bending it ain't going to be easy. OTOH, if it CAN be bent, I should be able to find a place to do it. Wichita is home to several aircraft companies (Boeing, Lear Jet, Cessna, etal.), so there are lots of "subcontractors" with the humongous pieces of machinery necessary to do that kind of thing.

The shift **** included in the package is not like any I have seen in the pictures. It is a heavyish aluminum BALL, roughly 1 7/8" in diameter. I might even give it a try. The B&M logo in the top of the ball is a separate insert, so the ball can be tightened down all the way and then the logo inserted in the top of the ball for proper orientation. It's a nice design, although I'd rather they just sell the ball separately and deduct that from the price of the kit, since I suspect most people aren't going to use the shift ****, and it's not a cheap piece. If I like the ball, but not the shiny aluminum finish, I might get it powder coated or anodized black. Don't know how much that would cost, but again, lots of places around to do stuff like that.

David
Old 10-18-2004, 04:13 PM

BTW, one point where there COULD be some friction introduced is the bottom of the shifter, where it attaches to the linkage leading to the transmission. There are two delrin washers on each side, which is perfect, but the "bushings" inside that bottom piece are brass. However, these bushings are slit along their length, so even if they expand, they should not get any tighter.

No, if there is any "notchiness" to this shifter, it'll be in the transmission rather than the shifter, and in the fact that it is a short-throw shifter, with a slightly shorter height, and therefore provides less "leverage" than the stock shifter.

And finally, I wonder if this is the precise same design as B&M has had all along, or whether they have improved some of the components? Otherwise I don't think I understand some of the comments that have been made about this shifter. OTOH, I haven't actually INSTALLED it yet!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:02 AM

Thank you so much for your feedback! I've finally made up my mind, I'll be ordering today =)
Old 10-20-2004, 01:05 AM

Just ordered it...... I hope install isnt hard....
Old 10-21-2004, 12:51 PM

I bought one too. Just got it today! Thanks.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:23 PM
VQ Disciple

** hopes this deal is available in the future **
Old 10-21-2004, 08:39 PM

does anyone know if the ball ever needs to be lubricated? and if so, with what oil?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:35 PM

does anyone know if the ball ever needs to be lubricated? and if so, with what oil?
Good question...

You got yours already.... lucky i hope mine come tomo
Old 10-22-2004, 12:27 AM

The installation instructions say nothing about lubricating the ball. The joint with no lubrication is extremely smooth, very low in friction. My educated guess is that it does not need to be lubricated. If one WERE to use some lubrication, it should be something rather light weight since the tolerances are very tight.

Just my opinion. I don't KNOW anything.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:02 AM

I dont know, as a general rule on a car, DRY FRICTION is BAD. I would use something.... even if it isnt used for lube, a grease will cut back on corrosion.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:30 AM

No, the ball shouldn't ever need to be lubricated.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:59 AM

had my B&M for a couple of months now, and I have to say this is probably the best non performance mod that I have done. there is no notchiness(at least I dont notice it), it doesn't hit the dash when in 1, 3, or 5, and install wasn't too difficult. you will just need another person up top when installing the shifter to install the mounting hardware and that is it(well it makes for an easier install). on top of that, I used my factory **** to keep the factory appearance.

I dont notice the short throw anymore, but I feel if I go with a shorter throw than the B&M then probs could ensue from spirited driving.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:46 PM

I wouldn't want less throw. In fact, I'd prefer a little more, but that's just me. I'd also DEFINITELY prefer a little more bend in the lever, in order to bring the lever closer. It's a shame they couldn't see their way clear to offer different models for each car, rather than one that's probably a compromise for ALL of the models it is supposed to fit.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:50 AM

I ordered it and had it installed on Tues. Comparing the B&M to the Pacesetter is like comparing a Mercedes to a Kia. The shifts are now smooth, no grinding, no notchiness, just perfection! This is a must do for those who decided to go the cheaper route with the Pacesetter/SMC.

Thanks SWA!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 10:15 AM

does anyone know about greasing this pivot ball yet..
Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
No, the ball shouldn't ever need to be lubricated.
learn to read through the thread buddy. no lube needed.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:44 AM

it said SHOULDnt. To me that is an opinion or uncertainty, not a definate know-all. I did read it. If you read more, there is a debate following that post so.... STFU
Old 10-31-2004, 01:30 AM

Okay... So the bolt that connects the shifter and the connecting rod to the tranny is not coming out. It spins in there like it is loose, but does not unthread. I noticed on the other side there is this tiny 1/4 thickness of a bolt head, so I tried turning both, and the small side just pops off.... the wrench wont stay on. Any Suggestions on getting that off.

Also, I tried removing the two bolts that hold the whole assembly to the car. They began to loosen, but then the bolts on top (inside of the car where the boot covered) started to move with the turning of the wrench.. so they wont come off. The top of these bolts are like studs, so i cant hold them in place with a socket, cause obviously a socket wont fit. HELP!

I head the hard part was getting the y-pipe off, I beg to differ.... this is so annoying, my car is sitting out there all messed up over night, I REALLY need some input because I have to get this running by Monday. I cant even tighten these things back up cause the slip....

PLEASE HELP

thanks
Jeff
Old 10-31-2004, 07:44 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Is this deal still on? Please say yes. I will need one for my tranny swap eventually.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:32 PM

yea..i need one too...plannin ahead b4 i get my 5spd..lol
Old 11-01-2004, 03:39 AM

Depending on how big of a hurry you are in, I should have one available in about a week, if you don't mind one that has been used for a few weeks.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:45 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Wait, so this is not a new unit? I'll be glad to take it off your hands. Let me know your price. I'll be glad to wait seeing as I'm auto at this point.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:34 PM

I put it in a couple of weeks ago and am contemplating going back to the stock shifter, with an inch or so bobbed off the top.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by sadice
no it does not not even close to the dash..... it's nice and i like it.....

in first gear mine just taps it... no bigger.... but it definatley touches

Quick Reply: B&M Shifter Deal!!