Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Buy the best - Cattman Performance S/S Y-Pipe Special Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Buy the best - Cattman Performance S/S Y-Pipe Special Sale

Cattman Performance Y-pipes, regularly $350, are on sale for a limited time at $289.

All versions are on sale, and ready for immediate shipment through our 800.759.9920 order line:
- YG4 for all 1995-1998 Maximas and I30s
- YG5 for 1999-2000 Maximas and I30s with Federal emissions
- YG5CA for 1999-2001 Maximas and I30s with CA/NLEV emissions
- YG5A for 2002-2003 Maximas, and 2002-2004 I35s

Why buy a Cattman Performance Y-pipe? Because none of the others feature our combination of quality features, which add up to more power, better fit and longer term reliability. Sure you can pay less, but no y-pipe offers better value - with Cattman, you really do get what you pay for!

Are we blowing smoke? Not hardly, and here are some of the reasons why:

- Every single y-pipe application we make has been dyno proven again and again with superior results, especially our new 02/03 VQ35DE application
- T304 stainless steel tubing prevents corrosion and contains heat to keep underhood temps down and maintain exhaust velocity; the tubing diameters we use are proven to maximize power - bigger is not better at the end of a y-pipe and it should be smaller than 2.5" catback tubing
- Racing grade 2-1 merge collector minimizes turbulence, a clear advantage over the "stretched and welded" collectors found on others
- TIG welding, the strongest way to join metal, and the ONLY proper way to bond stainless steel. TIG welds do intrude into the interior of the pipes, creating a fat ridge that causes more turbulence, like MIG welds inevitably do.
- Overthick flanges to avoid warping and exhaust leaks
- Heavy duty, lined flex sections stand up to years of abuse and don't hiss and buzz like the cheap ones - we pay 3-4 times more than others for this critical subcomponent because cheap ones don't last. The inside diameter is the same size as the tubing, instead of creating a smaller bottleneck you'll never see, like many others

Remember, Cattman Performance was the first company in the World to develop and sell a performance y-pipe for the Maxima (1998), and we've been the leaders in the very best Maxima/I30/I35 exhaust parts (headers, y-pipes and catbacks) ever since.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-24-2004, 08:10 PM

How much for just the headers for 2001? already got a y-pipe
Old 05-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have a any deal on a 3" for a 96' Fed Spec Y-pipe ??

-matt
Old 05-24-2004, 08:47 PM
I need a truck

How long is this deal going to last?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by sum1punjabi
How much for just the headers for 2001? already got a y-pipe

A header special will follow in a 2-3 weeks, we wouldn't have the inventory to support that right now.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Conrad283
How long is this deal going to last?

Its somewhat dependent on supply, but we're pretty well stocked in all the y-pipe versions right now and I'd expect the special to last at least 2 weeks.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-24-2004, 09:02 PM

Got the Y, Catback special should be next.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by matty
Do you have a any deal on a 3" for a 96' Fed Spec Y-pipe ??

-matt

We're not manufacturing 3" y-pipes at this time - not enough demand to support the numbers we'd have to make. Unless you're putting out at least 350-400 hp, a 3" y-pipe wouldn't be of much (if any) benefit.

You'd also want your catback tubing to be bigger than the y-pipe. Its not easy to bend 3" tubing precisely enough avoid clearance issues, and I think that running a 3.5" exhaust would be a very tricky piece of custom work, if possible at all.

IMHO 2.75" would be the ideal size (at the end of the y-pipe) for the really big HP supercharged VQ engines (>350hp), but that's an oddball tubing size. Not easy or cheap to obtain.

For about 95% of the modified Maximas out there - and ALL naturally aspirated Maximas - I can't recommend a more effective combination than our 2.25" y-pipe coupled with our 2.5" catback exhaust. Dyno results back this up, including the larger VQ35DE engine.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
LithiuMax

Get these while they're hot. I love my Y-pipe!

Old 05-25-2004, 03:38 AM

is it free shipping.... and if not how much is the shipping????
also if i get this now, when the headers are offered will they be offered w/ out the y-pipe??
Old 05-25-2004, 05:49 AM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by mysterEman
And, will the gaskit kit still be $15?

also if i get this now, when the headers are offered will they be offered w/ out the y-pipe??
The header system replaces the y-pipe, so if you were to get the header system and already had a cattman y-pipe, you'd have to sell it
Old 05-25-2004, 06:24 AM

how much is shipping?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:49 AM
4th Gen Parts King

test pipe size

For about 95% of the modified Maximas out there - and ALL naturally aspirated Maximas - I can't recommend a more effective combination than our 2.25" y-pipe coupled with our 2.5" catback exhaust. Dyno results back this up, including the larger VQ35DE engine.
I'm looking at a test pipe what size should i go with? Stay with 2.25 or go with 2.5? Ihave read that this will not gain me anything but my cat flange is bad and blows gaskets.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member and Maxima.org Sponsor

Now that is an AMAZING deal....wish I still had my Maxima
Old 05-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

No, shipping is extra and just depends on distance, so you will receive a shipping quote when you call in the order.

The header system uses its own unique y-pipe design and that's one reason ours makes the power it does. This is critical because it is NOT POSSIBLE to design an effective header system around the stock y-pipe (or a performance y-pipe that replaces a stock y-pipe). Regular y-pipes are designed to bolt to the outlet of the stock manifolds - too high and offset to one side - and that's the last position you'd want the end of a header manifold to be for maximum performance.

Another Maxima parts producer chose to design theirs around an existing y-pipe and the difference in power between ours and theirs illustrates the point I'm making.

Anyway, there will be more discussion about headers when they go on sale in 2-3 weeks.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Conrad283
And, will the gaskit kit still be $15?

The header system replaces the y-pipe, so if you were to get the header system and already had a cattman y-pipe, you'd have to sell it

Yes, the gasket kits are $15, keeping in mind that with the exception of the kit that goes with the #YG5CA (which has gaskets + some hardware) these are the same y-pipe gaskets that your stock y-pipe uses. So, you can get them at the dealer. We literally sell these about our cost, just meant as a convenience for the customer.

Right you are about the y-pipe being specific to the headers (best that way, as explained above), but there always seems to be a good resale market for used ones.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaDxKiLLa
how much is shipping?

You can get a quote when you call in the order, just depends on distance (measured by zip codes). Y-pipes aren't heavy or in large boxes, so shipping is pretty reasonable.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by fanaticrockford
I'm looking at a test pipe what size should i go with? Stay with 2.25 or go with 2.5? Ihave read that this will not gain me anything but my cat flange is bad and blows gaskets.

To answer this on a technical level, I would tell you it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference (I would lean towards 2.25" on a VQ30DE). To answer it on an ethical level, I would urge you to replace the cat. We are working on a new one that we're hoping will outperform anything currently available. If it doesn't test any better than the ones I see now, it won't be worth making. Probably a couple of months away.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-25-2004, 05:06 PM

this is a great deal yall, just got my cattman y pipe put on this weekend, and i'm luvin it. come on Brian get a deal goin for the cattman cat back
Old 05-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by chigga
this is a great deal yall, just got my cattman y pipe put on this weekend, and i'm luvin it. come on Brian get a deal goin for the cattman cat back

That special will be coming too, we'll be running an ongoing series of specials, but a few weeks away.

Have to keep our profile up since Kevin dropped our banner without notice and no one can seem to reach him by email or phone (Custom and Southwest are trying too). We're wondering if it has something to do with the big "S" banner that seems to be constantly at the top of the pages these days...

Has ANYONE seen or heard from Kevin Chin? Cattman Performance has supported the Maxima forum for years, since before it was even in this form, just doesn't seem fair that we'd be treated so shabbily. Our banner has been down for over a week now.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-26-2004, 12:13 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

this one I see it.

https://maxima.org/ads/graphics/cattbanner2.gif
Old 05-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by MyownNismo

So apparently its still "archived", but it sure doesn't appear at the top of the page anymore.

Brian
Old 05-27-2004, 10:53 AM

How long is this going to last??? I have to count my pennies!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:55 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Just got off the phone with Cattman and ordered my Y-pipe. Thanks to my Bro Lithiumax on selling me on this!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:58 AM

Brian, how long would it take to install cattman headers compared to the y-pipe???
Old 05-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by maximadave
Just got off the phone with Cattman and ordered my Y-pipe. Thanks to my Bro Lithiumax on selling me on this!

And my thanks to both of you!

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
How long is this going to last??? I have to count my pennies!!!
I anticipate running the y-pipe special for 2 weeks, and it began last Monday - so it will probably go down June 7 and then will be replaced by another Cattman special (which will not be "revealed" until then).

If a customer wants to buy additional parts, keep our Maxima.org volume purchase discounts in mind. If you spend more than $750 on a multiple part order, we'll knock 5% off the cost of all the retail-priced parts - if the total is $1500 or more the discount goes to 10% (in either case, you have to ask because this is meant for maxima.org "members"). If a y-pipe was purchased on sale, it wouldn't get additional discounting, but the sale price would count towards the purchase total, and if that exceeds $750 or $1500, then the 5 or 10 percent will be taken off all the regularly-priced parts. This applies to almost everything we sell, with very few exceptions.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
Brian, how long would it take to install cattman headers compared to the y-pipe???

You know how it is, different people work at different speeds, depending on their skill and motivation, but I've found that a reasonable installation time for a y-pipe is 1 to 1.5 hours (primary variable being how rusted the nuts/bolts are on the old pipe, new one always goes on quick), and 6-7 hours for headers.

Big difference in cost and time, yes, but also a very major difference in result (significantly more power, and indescribably sweeter sound).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-27-2004, 12:29 PM

i have the 2k3 cattman ypipe... i LOVE the sound that it gives with my greddy evo..... not sure about performance, because i have never done any dynos... but the butt dyno says there is some increase in power...
Old 05-27-2004, 01:00 PM
LithiuMax

Originally Posted by Cattman
And my thanks to both of you!

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
to Brian and Dave. You're gonna love it, man.

I can post a link to some clips of the Y-pipe along with a popular aftermarket muffler (Powertech) if people want it.

Old 05-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anything for us 6th-genners? I'll looking at your exhaust for my '04, any deal you could do?? Email me if possible, chris@chrisaustin.us
Old 05-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Anything for us 6th-genners? I'll looking at your exhaust for my '04, any deal you could do?? Email me if possible, chris@chrisaustin.us

We're at work on a Y-pipe design (the only one I know of that will include the primary catalytic convertor), and a full exhaust is on the way as well. Not ready yet, but soon.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-28-2004, 04:57 PM

Brian,
for the y-pipe are there any fitment issues? Or special hangers or brackets that may be needed?
I am seriously considering buying one but i don't want the problems others have gone through with the other brand y-pipes.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by a_prince1
Brian,
for the y-pipe are there any fitment issues? Or special hangers or brackets that may be needed?
I am seriously considering buying one but i don't want the problems others have gone through with the other brand y-pipes.

No, we've got the fitment thing down quite dependably with the precision (and strength) of the fabrication fixtures we use, skilled TIG welders who understand how to prevent stainless steel heat warpage (skilled craftsmen, not robots), and some well-proven designs. Key dimensions are consistent from unit to unit within a few hundreths of an inch.

No extra hangers or brackets needed - the ones that are necessary are incorporated into the design.

The only "extra" step, apart from simply fitting the pipe to the car, would be in the case of the 2002-2003 y-pipes for the mighty VQ35DE. Properly locating the post-precat O2 sensor for the rear cylinder bank on the y-pipe requires extending the wires that go to it - just no way around it, but there's no reason any competent mechanic cannot solder in a proper extension (if they try to do it without soldering it, find someone who will). We include an instruction sheet with that y-pipe to explain that it must be done (and why). FWIW, I'll remind that the 02/03 y-pipe leaves both of the stock pre-cats in place (they don't rob the power, the stock y-pipe design does).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-29-2004, 08:43 AM

I am currently awaiting a ypipe from another company. I am very dipleased thus far so I think that I am done dealing with this company. Before I order from Cattman there a few questions that I have. Will I receive the right one in a timely fashion (week or so)? Will it fit perfectly? Will it make strange rattling noises? Will I get a tracking number as soon as I order? I am sorry that I seem rude but that is what you get when you deal with non-professionals. And I noticed from all of your posts that you are a professional and someone that I would be interested in dealing with.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cornbread
I am currently awaiting a ypipe from another company. I am very dipleased thus far so I think that I am done dealing with this company. Before I order from Cattman there a few questions that I have. Will I receive the right one in a timely fashion (week or so)? Will it fit perfectly? Will it make strange rattling noises? Will I get a tracking number as soon as I order? I am sorry that I seem rude but that is what you get when you deal with non-professionals. And I noticed from all of your posts that you are a professional and someone that I would be interested in dealing with.
============

Its not appropriate for me to comment on the issues you've had with other companies, but thanks for considering Cattman Performance. Here are your questions and answers:

Q1) Will I receive the right one in a timely fashion (week or so)?
A1) You'll receive the part that you order, and hopefully you'll order the right one. The beginning message in this thread has all the parts numbers. Only potential pitfall is if your car is 99-00, you will need to know which emissions system it is, Federal or CA/NLEV because those pipes are not interchangeable. All of the pipes on sale are on our warehouse shelves ready for shipment. We ship the day of the order if called in before Noon or so, next business day or later. Standard shipment is via UPS Ground from Arizona, which could range from 1-5 business days depending on distance. Of course you can expedite that if you choose to pay more for 3-day , 2-day or overnight shipment.

Q2) Will it fit (and install) perfectly?
A2) "perfect" means different things to different people, I suppose, but if you mean trouble-free installation without having to bend, cut, alter, weld, etc., then I'd say yes, absolutely. The hardest part of the installation is taking off the old pipe, not putting on the new one. As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, the 02/03 version requires extending the wiring to one O2 sensor. The gasket sets we sell include parts you can also buy at the dealer (our pipes use the same gaskets that your stock y-pipe does), with the exception of the install kit that goes with the 99-01 CA/NLEV pipe (YG5-CA), which also includes some nuts/bolts/washers that will come in handy.

Q3) Will it make strange rattling noises?
A3) No - clearance is good and there are no moving parts.

Q4) Will I get a tracking number as soon as I order?
A4) Not at that moment, because the order goes back into the warehouse and a tracking number is generated later in the day as the order is prepared for shipment. If you provide your email address, you should receive a tracking code the day it ships. If you don't want to give your email just call and ask the next day. [I know some companies are more automated that that, hope it works for you.]

I'll also mention that our orders are taken through 800.759.9920, and Lorie will help you with any order-related questions. I handle the any technical questions or other issues that need to be dealt - sort of a "the buck stops with Brian" thing. You can contact me directly at bcatts@cattman.com or if talking is useful, call the order line and they'll hook us up.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-29-2004, 04:13 PM

Thanks Brian for responding to my questions so quickly and thoroughly. Just by doing so, I definately will be going the Cattman route. Expect my phone call on Tuesday (or earlier if your open). Thanks again for your professionalism. Todd
Old 05-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cornbread
Thanks Brian for responding to my questions so quickly and thoroughly. Just by doing so, I definately will be going the Cattman route. Expect my phone call on Tuesday (or earlier if your open). Thanks again for your professionalism. Todd

My order line will be closed on Monday, Memorial Day, but you can reach us after 8am MST on Tuesday (AZ doesn't go on daylight savings time - the farmers are afraid the extra hour of summer daylight will burn their crops - so in this half of the year we're the same time as the west coast, 3 hours earlier for you).

BCC
Old 05-30-2004, 08:22 AM

Uh oh looks like I better finally start saving for my headers.. Hoping Brian's gonna have a killer deal *hint hint*. Better put off the clutch and start granny shifting my car so that I can get the headers instead. Hopefully Cattman will discount the headers at the same magnitude as the y-pipe (percentage wise) *hint hint*.

okay im done now

Old 05-30-2004, 01:57 PM

What kind of gains can be expected with this y-pipe. Im in PA, and I don't beleive they do a visual inspection, will the removal of the two pre cats affect the reading on my exhaust once its nice and warm.

Originally Posted by kenji
Uh oh looks like I better finally start saving for my headers.. Hoping Brian's gonna have a killer deal *hint hint*. Better put off the clutch and start granny shifting my car so that I can get the headers instead. Hopefully Cattman will discount the headers at the same magnitude as the y-pipe (percentage wise) *hint hint*.

okay im done now

Quick Reply: Buy the best - Cattman Performance S/S Y-Pipe Special Sale