Group Deals / Sponsors Forum Find out more information on group deals that are going on for Maxima parts from our Sponsors.

Ok....who wants another group deal on the Viper 791XV alarms

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:20 AM

Hey Alex. How much more for an extra two lcd remote? You can PM me the price. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:29 PM

do these have a light up/vibrate option or no??
Old 04-29-2004, 12:39 PM

I would love to get in on this, but my problem would lie on who would I get to install it. Anyone buying this in the NYC area have someone to install it for them or know how to install it??
Old 04-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member and Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
do these have a light up/vibrate option or no??
Yes, they do.

Opti-I am only doing the deal with the one remote thing... I cannot get the extra remotes for this GD...maybe next one....

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Ok guys, need your opinions here, I was just quoted $400 to buy this alarm from an alarm place I have dealt with for years including installation. He's giving me the alarm for $200 and installation for another $200. Is this a good deal? and why is installation so expensive? Thanks for your help. Not trying to get away from this GD or thread but just need some opinions, sorry.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:00 PM

well, i hear an alarm is only as good as da installation cuz that is crucial to make sure all da features are electrically reliable and work properly. especially with all da user settings that they have. i'm guessing that's y installation cost so much
Old 04-29-2004, 05:08 PM

Alex, You couldn't just sell me another remote? I'll pay for the alarm and extra for the remote so i won't have to order it somewhere else. Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 07:14 AM

I really don't have access to those right now.
Thanks
Alex
Old 04-30-2004, 08:57 AM
VIP Maxima

ok i have a few questions.

1)is there any other unit out there thats better than this or offers more features?

2)what features comes with this unit? remote start, ignition kill, window roll up and down, shock sensor, glass sensro, vibration sensor, are those included? what other features besides those? basically, what makes this unit so good and how does it protect the car.

3) how much should i expect for installation?

thx alot

Old 04-30-2004, 09:23 AM

1) Not that I'm aware of in the price range
2) Features:
http://www.drdetailshop.com/V791XV.htm
3) I am being charged 130-160 here in PHX...

Alex
Old 05-01-2004, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the link Alex. They've got the upgrade chip for the 998T that I've been looking for.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaFastness
Ok guys, need your opinions here, I was just quoted $400 to buy this alarm from an alarm place I have dealt with for years including installation. He's giving me the alarm for $200 and installation for another $200. Is this a good deal? and why is installation so expensive? Thanks for your help. Not trying to get away from this GD or thread but just need some opinions, sorry.
id say def go for it, im being charged 175 for install so it will be a total of 400 for me 2, so either way its the same thing.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:23 PM
あおい A32

paypal payment sent

if you're in the LA area..a shop in San Gabriel is charging me 100 for the install
Old 05-02-2004, 03:58 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Originally Posted by bluA32
paypal payment sent

if you're in the LA area..a shop in San Gabriel is charging me 100 for the install

So whats your total price with installation?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:23 PM
あおい A32

Originally Posted by MaximaFastness
So whats your total price with installation?
10 char..

$305
Old 05-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Suspension Yoda

alex-
money sent
thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 08:01 AM

Thank you everyone who paid! We will begin shipping them on Thursday. Wednesday is the last day to pay!
Thanks again everyone
Alex
Old 05-03-2004, 02:05 PM

dei will in fact honor the warranty. i know this because i have bought and installed a dei alram that later went bad; all i did was call dei and very politely inform them that i bought the alarm from a dealer and installed it myself and that i had tested the unit and found the problem to be the siren output. they told me to send them the brain and remotes to an adress, and within a work week i had in my hands a brand new brain and remotes (they even gave me an extra antenna). you just have to be very polite. however, you have to call their warranty department directly and that number is not readily available. i forget how it is that i got it but i think it was from a dealer (i called several and only one would give it to me).
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 AM

Um...ok...well....we have 24 paid (including me)....still waiting for six more...I will NOT purchase/pay for them unless we have 30 (remember, price goes up), so I have contacted the people who said they wanted one but didn't pay. If you have any questions, just e-mail me at
alex@southwestautoworks.com

Thanks
Alex
Old 05-05-2004, 07:33 AM

Holy **** alex i didnt no this GD was going on! Can i pay today?!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 AM

Yup....paypal to
sales@southwestautoworks.com
Old 05-05-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Max8MyCash

If ya need me to be #30 let me know.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:37 PM

Money sent. When do you think these alarms will be shipped out?
Old 05-05-2004, 02:42 PM

As soon as I can get all 30 to pay, so I can hand over the payment to the vendor, and pack it all up and ship it to everyone...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:14 PM

Money sent for 791XV & 555u.

Thanks for putting together this excellent GD Alex!
Old 05-05-2004, 03:26 PM

Thanks Lynde!
Alex

We need five more...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:27 PM

Yea thanks Alex. Ive worked numerous buys with you have always came thru. You top in my Maxima.Org GD book!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:23 PM

Sorry it took me so long to pay. I was one of the first to show interest in this GD, and probably one of the last to pay. But, hopefully it was worth the wait. I obviously wanted one for myself. I put a 790XV in my sisters car about 6 months ago and she has just decided to sell the car, and will probably leave it in there, so she needs a replacement. And, I told a work buddy that owns a Maxima about the deal and he wanted me to get one for him. So, I just sent payment for 3. Hopefully that puts us right up on the 30 mark. Thanks again for organizing this GD. It's a good one.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:33 PM

sweet! that makes 30.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Chassis Freak

OK, I wasn't going to do this but now I'm reconsidering. Anyone in the know please answer:

1. How easy is this to install PROPERLY? Does it come with complete instructions? I'm pretty handy but I don't know a lot about wiring.

2. How easy is it to install without the remote start (I'm assuming this is easy).

3. How easy is it to disable the clutch depression sensor and install a gear shifter position sensor so the remote starter knows when my MT is in neutral?

4. How good is this alarm? Is this one of the best alarms you can buy for your car, or is it upper mid-range, or what? Given that it's only $200 it seems like it couldn't be the cream of the crop but what do I know.

I might be in for this deal. At half the price of an officially installed and warranteed Viper, it seems like it's worth it. As long as I can install it properly, I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my car....
Old 05-05-2004, 05:50 PM

Agh, people can still jack your car bro. this just makes it a lil harder.:: 1,2,3,4
Old 05-05-2004, 06:08 PM

im in money sent

thanx
Old 05-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT 29!!!!! one more..... i hope you get one payment so they could be sent tomorrow. Thanks for the GD. everyone is hyped about this one
Old 05-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

Originally Posted by DJSCIASCIA
If ya need me to be #30 let me know.

we need you to be # 30 lol
Old 05-05-2004, 08:07 PM

Did you even read the posts so far Masaccio? I know I have answered pretty much all your questions myself, let alone everyone else who has posted on this thread. But, here you go. One more time.

Originally Posted by Masaccio
1. How easy is this to install PROPERLY? Does it come with complete instructions? I'm pretty handy but I don't know a lot about wiring.
Ans: Alarms are fairly difficult to install. Even though a 791XV is very installer friendly, there is a lot to them. I install alarms and other stereo equiptment at Circuit City. It's my job to be good at this kind of stuff, and I still think they are a little tough. I do not recommend installing your own unless you know what you are doing. The alarm won't work properly unless you have it installed properly. That's why most of the people being quoted for installs range from $120-$200. It's close to an all day job for an experienced professional. They do come with complete installation instructions for where the alarm wires go, but it's all in technical writing. And it won't tell you what color wire to conect it to in your car or where the wire is. That's up to the installer to figure out because every car is different. I definately don't recommend doing it yourself. You will run into many problems and not have anywhere to turn.

2. How easy is it to install without the remote start (I'm assuming this is easy).
Ans: This eliminates a lot of the harder wires to find, but still doesn't make it easy to do. There will still be about 20-30 wires to connect.

3. How easy is it to disable the clutch depression sensor and install a gear shifter position sensor so the remote starter knows when my MT is in neutral?
Ans: Installing remote starters on a manual transmission car is illegal. Obviously it can be done, but it is dangerous. Basically, you just find the wire that tells your car that the clutch isn't pressed and keeps the car from starting without the cluch depressed and eliminate it (cut, or make a jumper). This will make it so that you never need to press the clutch when starting. The dangerous side to this is that if the car is left in gear, it will stall, restart, stall, restart, stall.... And you all know what happens when you stall - jerking forward and rolling (brake won't be pressed). I put a remote start on my sisters car (Viper 790XV) and there has only been one incident where this was a problem. Her friend tried to remote start it after getting it back from the shop and my sister ran to keep her car from rolling into the building and it almost remote started again which would have pinned her between the car and the building. Luckily she didn't panic and just grabbed the remote and cancelled the remote start. I don't know of any sensors that will tell the remote starter that the MT is in neutral, but this would be a good option if you can find one. I personally don't think anything like this exists or is even possible. Remote starters on MT cars wouldn't be a problem if this was something like this. I am sure alarm companies have though of this as an option.

4. How good is this alarm? Is this one of the best alarms you can buy for your car, or is it upper mid-range, or what? Given that it's only $200 it seems like it couldn't be the cream of the crop but what do I know.
Ans. This alarm retails for approx. $500-$800 installed at most retailers. The 791XV is the top of the line Viper, which is one of the best if not the best alarm company out there. That's what makes this GD such an awesome deal.

Hope that helps. Sorry all my posts in this thread are always so long. I just have a lot of info regarding this topic. Any more questions anybody, feel free to ask me.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Chassis Freak

I did read the entire thread but some things were unclear...thanks so much for clarifying RyanTaylorClark.

I think at this point I don't need the alarm enough to justify all the trouble, despite the great discount here. Have fun with your new alarms, all.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:39 AM

Ok... some common misconceptions have been made about the alarm and integration into a manual transmission. Also, some people, including installers, are telling people to wire up their cars using a jumper wire on the clutch wire. This is wrong. So I'm here to help show you how it should be done properly.

First, for the remote start, you'll need to check the ESM for your car. Not the Chiltons or Haynes manual, but the true Nissan ESM. Look in the transmission section of the ESM for a PNP wire. That stands for "Park-Neutral Position". That wire attaches to the transmission on one end, and the ECU on the other end. For the 5th gens, it's pin #44 at the ECU. Keep reading in the ESM about this wire, and you should find that it shows ground when the shifter is in neutral, but should show either +5v or +12v when the car is in gear. You can tap this wire and diode isolate the tapped wire. Then hook the tapped wire up to the toggle switch for the remote start. Using this method, your car will not start when it is in gear, because the alarm never recieves a ground signal from the toggle switch wire. I have tested this setup extensively, and even have it operational on my car.

Secondly, the clutch bypass should NEVER be done using a jumper wire. This is defeating the purpose of pressing the clutch. When you use a clutch jumper wire, you can start the car without pressing the clutch ANYTIME, even when not remote starting the car. This is dangerous if someone else drives your car and forgets that it's a manual. They start the car without pressing the clutch and boom... the car jumps.

The PROPER way to wire up the clutch bypass is to hook up a relay (pin 85) to the "(-) status output wire", which for the Viper 791XV is the "H3/1 Blue/White" wire. Connect the relay's (pin 86) to a fused, +12v source. Hook up pin 30 to one of the 2 wires connected to the clutch assembly. Hook up pin 87 to the other clutch wire.

When the alarm activates, it'll send out a ground signal on the "(-) status output" wire. This should energize the relay and allow the clutch wire to be "jumpered" during the remote start running period. When the remote start is not used, the relay won't be energized, so you'll still have to press the clutch pedal down.

While this is obviously alot more work, it IS one of the proper ways to bypass the clutch during the remote start.

And for those who care, I'm installing one about 2 weeks from now on a 5th gen. I plan on doing a full write-up, including pictures, wire colors, etc. The vehicle is an automatic, but I'll provide diagrams on how to bypass the clutch as described above.

I'll post a thread in the 5th gen forum as well as the audio/electronics forum when the install is completed.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:52 AM
Chassis Freak

Thanks studman, this is very good to know! Looking forward to the write-up.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by UCI Maxima
we need you to be # 30 lol
Alex, ya need me to be the last one???
Old 05-06-2004, 06:08 AM

I counted 29 units paid for....We do need one more...

Alex

Quick Reply: Ok....who wants another group deal on the Viper 791XV alarms