General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Bad service expeirence, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 03:15 PM

Bad service expeirence, need help.

Yesterday I took my car in to Mossy Nissan in Houston where they performed an oil change and fuel filter change. Today there were issues and I foung out that the Intake was not reconected and there is a huge clunking noise coming from the rear suspension. They said that the suspension thing is not there fault and they would charge me to look at it.

What should I do?
Old 06-26-2002, 03:17 PM

I almost forgot to ask if drivinbg for 70 miles with the intake not attached will cause any issues?
Old 06-26-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Canuck
I almost forgot to ask if drivinbg for 70 miles with the intake not attached will cause any issues?
Who disconnected the intake? I wouldn't drive too far without an intake attached. If any particles get into your engine, that could be pretty bad. I'd suggest acting as professional as possible, ask to talk to the service manager. Tell him that it is unacceptable to take your car in for a regular oil change and come back with noises that weren't there before. At the minimum they should look at your suspension and find out what's wrong.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Keh mon

Who disconnected the intake? I wouldn't drive too far without an intake attached. If any particles get into your engine, that could be pretty bad. I'd suggest acting as professional as possible, ask to talk to the service manager. Tell him that it is unacceptable to take your car in for a regular oil change and come back with noises that weren't there before. At the minimum they should look at your suspension and find out what's wrong.
I spoke with the service manager and he said that they surely could not have caused it even though it wasn't happening before I brought it in and it was happening as soon as I left the lot.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:49 PM

Re: Bad service expeirence, need help.

Yesterday I took my car in to Mossy Nissan in Houston where they performed an oil change and fuel filter change. Today there were issues and I foung out that the Intake was not reconected and there is a huge clunking noise coming from the rear suspension. They said that the suspension thing is not there fault and they would charge me to look at it.

What should I do?

What do you mean by a disconnected intake? You mean they forgot to put back on the cone filter? Or did they remove the plastic scoop which leads to the stock airbox? Driving without an air filter is BAD. Driving without the stock plastic scoop, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:53 PM

Re: Re: Bad service expeirence, need help.

Originally posted by Eric L.

What do you mean by a disconnected intake? You mean they forgot to put back on the cone filter? Or did they remove the plastic scoop which leads to the stock airbox? Driving without an air filter is BAD. Driving without the stock plastic scoop, I wouldn't worry about it.
The intake was disconected at the TB.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Bad service expeirence, need help.

Oh man that is terrible. Get the dealer to state in WRITING that they made an error. It is astounding what they will not admit to when it is obviously their fault.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad service expeirence, need help.

Oh man that is terrible. Get the dealer to state in WRITING that they made an error. It is astounding what they will not admit to when it is obviously their fault.

It is really bad, what makes it worse is they won't even look at the suspension.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:07 PM

If talking to the service manager didn't work, I'd just say bug the he** out of the dealership. Write down exactly what happened so you have it for future reference. If there is a step up above the dealership you could go talk to or mail what happened to, then do it. GL on working it all out.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:12 PM

For what possible reason would they make a statement in writing that they did it? We're not talking NYPD Blue here where you get to make them sit in a cell without bathroom until they put it down on paper.

I have found that with Nissan service yelling in front of other customers helps the situation alot. I'm not talking about 4-letter words--but yelling in a reasonable fashion. Do we enjoy doing that? Not really, but do you want the car to get fixed? Believe me, that service mgr is gonna make a note of which grease monkey caused him the problem. Then the words DMV, attorney general, and complaint should slip out as you're yelling. After that you have to follow-through with a formal complaint. Now on the rear-end I'd tend to agree with the svc. mgr, what could they have done to cause a noise? Forgetting to reassemble something is quite common, espcially on Mondays when the staff is hungover.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad service expeirence, need help.

It is really bad, what makes it worse is they won't even look at the suspension.

The steps to resolve a dealer are:

First do your best to work it out with the service manager. But like you probably know by now, the service managers are idiots and arguing with them is pointless. Next ask for the dealership general manager or owner. If they don't accomodate you, call Nissan Consumer Affairs (the 800 number in your owners manual) and ask for an appointment or meeting with the Nissan Regional Representative. That individual usually does whatever it takes to resolve the problem, usually compromising between your position and the dealership's position.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:46 PM
lcf

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=122151

in this order:
  1. talk to service manager
  2. open a file with nissan north america
  3. sic your attorney on him
if you dont have an attorney, since i broker legal services, i could find one in your area for you.

check out this link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=122151
Old 06-26-2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by lcf
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=122151

in this order:
  1. talk to service manager
  2. open a file with nissan north america
  3. sic your attorney on him
if you dont have an attorney, since i broker legal services, i could find one in your area for you.

check out this link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=122151

Thanks for the advice, I actually already have prepaid legal.
Tomorow I am going to go talk to the service manager, and try and get him to check ou the suspension problem and to provide soem sort of writen assurance that the disconected filter would not cause any problems, or at least try and clean the throttle body or something.

Thanks for evryones help.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Bad service expeirence, need help.

How did your car run with the intake disconnected from the throttle body? The air flow sensor is before the tb.

Old 06-26-2002, 10:43 PM

most of the time you don;t actually need to have an attorney. Talk to the service manager and be very stern. If you don;t get what you want (as log as it is not outlandish) Turn, begin to walk away, and say something like, well at least now you'll only have to deal with my attorney. Usually that will peak their attention. IF not, get an attorney.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by gabuchu
How did your car run with the intake disconnected from the throttle body? The air flow sensor is before the tb.

It felt like there was a fuel problem delivery, but when I tried going WOT it got better. The idle was rough and I would chug away form a stop sign. It felt alot like when I had defective fuel injectors on my 3rd Gen.