General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

POP vs CAI, continued debate

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 08:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

POP vs CAI, continued debate

I just realized something about this long discussed comparison between POP and CAI. Whenever someone does a back to back test,they usually are on the dyno with a CAI and then immediately change to a POP. This is un-fair to the CAI b/c what winds up happening is that the ECU is using the feul mapping at WOT for the CAI on the installed POP charger, resulting in advantages for the POP. A recent dyno of Mr Cranman's Maxima when he did the same thing, the dyno people point out that he was running rich on top. Give the ECU a week and I'm sure that richness would disappear . . b/c the ECU will learn and adjust the WOT settings.

Now, alot of naysayers will jump in and say, WOT is set, but some people on the org say that the ECU also learns WOT characteristics as well. I beleive t, b/c every time I've changed my intake, my car was funny for the 1st week. I had a CAI, that 1st week it was really really loud. The 2nd week it had nocieably calmed down. WOT, cruising, everything. The ECU had "learned" the new intake. Then, I went to Hybrid. That 1st week, my low end totally sucked. The hybrid was quieter than the CAI, but then the CAI the loudest, and coolest sounding IMHO, intake. Not only was the hybrid quieter, but at 5000-6000 rpm, my car was crazy fast up there. Actually it felt like the VQ motor was tearing itself apart, it was so raucous. A week or so later, 5000-6000 rpm runs are not as crazy feeling as before, and the low end doesn't feel so bad anymore.

Anyways, these observations seem to support the issue of the ECU being able to adjust itslef, even at WOT, and the POP may not be that much better up top than the CAI. It may still be better, but not a greatly as that 1st week, so to speak.

DW
Old 06-03-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: POP vs CAI, continued debate

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I just realized something about this long discussed comparison between POP and CAI. Whenever someone does a back to back test,they usually are on the dyno with a CAI and then immediately change to a POP. This is un-fair to the CAI b/c what winds up happening is that the ECU is using the feul mapping at WOT for the CAI on the installed POP charger, resulting in advantages for the POP. A recent dyno of Mr Cranman's Maxima when he did the same thing, the dyno people point out that he was running rich on top. Give the ECU a week and I'm sure that richness would disappear . . b/c the ECU will learn and adjust the WOT settings.

Now, alot of naysayers will jump in and say, WOT is set, but some people on the org say that the ECU also learns WOT characteristics as well. I beleive t, b/c every time I've changed my intake, my car was funny for the 1st week. I had a CAI, that 1st week it was really really loud. The 2nd week it had nocieably calmed down. WOT, cruising, everything. The ECU had "learned" the new intake. Then, I went to Hybrid. That 1st week, my low end totally sucked. The hybrid was quieter than the CAI, but then the CAI the loudest, and coolest sounding IMHO, intake. Not only was the hybrid quieter, but at 5000-6000 rpm, my car was crazy fast up there. Actually it felt like the VQ motor was tearing itself apart, it was so raucous. A week or so later, 5000-6000 rpm runs are not as crazy feeling as before, and the low end doesn't feel so bad anymore.

Anyways, these observations seem to support the issue of the ECU being able to adjust itslef, even at WOT, and the POP may not be that much better up top than the CAI. It may still be better, but not a greatly as that 1st week, so to speak.

DW
I don't think that the long and short term trims are really considered TRUE fuel map variations. more like adjusting the parameters that the fuel maps sit in than changing them all together.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: POP vs CAI, continued debate

Well, the end result is a varying feul map, no?

DW

Originally posted by SLC I30t
I don't think that the long and short term trims are really considered TRUE fuel map variations. more like adjusting the parameters that the fuel maps sit in than changing them all together.