General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Offered $100 to race a 97 5spd VTEC lude! Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 10:09 AM

Offered $100 to race a 97 5spd VTEC lude! Help

Hey guys, this all sounds so silly, but today i was offered $100 to race a 97 5spd vtec lude with only a cai! Is it worth it to try this?? I have a y/i and Im 5spd(95 max). Should I run this guy? And if so at what speed?? Deadstop? Roll?? 10mph? 20mph? What would be my biggest advantage and what would be his??? Please give my mature answers. thanks
Old 04-25-2002, 10:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Offered $100 to race a 97 5spd VTEC lude! Help

Originally posted by bmxsteve
Hey guys, this all sounds so silly, but today i was offered $100 to race a 97 5spd vtec lude with only a cai! Is it worth it to try this?? I have a y/i and Im 5spd(95 max). Should I run this guy? And if so at what speed?? Deadstop? Roll?? 10mph? 20mph? What would be my biggest advantage and what would be his??? Please give my mature answers. thanks
Well, it really depends on ur 5spd ability. my friend has a 5 spd 97 lude and i take him stock(we both stock), but this becasue i am maybe a little better than he is with the stick. From anything under 20 result should be the same. freeway u should hve him with a little more ease. But again it all depends on ur and his driving ability. He can takr u if ur not carful.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:02 AM

Re: Re: Offered $100 to race a 97 5spd VTEC lude! Help

Well it definitely wouldn't be a sure bet. Your odds are probably 60/40 in your favor at best. Neither one of you has a great advantage in power/weight and your neither of your mods are at their full potential. You also didn't mention if you have larger than stock wheels or not. If you had an exhaust your odds would be better but its still not a massive advantage. Those aren't bad odds but you could still lose if you don't drive all that well.

As for what speed to launch from, any speed that the Prelude can use its high top end power is not going to be good for you. The 4th Gen Max runs out of steam past 5k and people often find their best times shifting before redline. If you give the Prelude the advantage of starting near VTEC, you're going to lose a bit of ground immediately and if he's a good driver he can keep the car at power peak past 100. If my memory is correct, the Max reaches power peak by the 5000rpm range and it tapers off from there. In a long race, staying at power peak is going to help the Prelude since it has near peak torque past 7k rpm.

I've raced Shadow dozens of times w/ his '97 auto before his supercharger and it only got worse at speeds. Whether or not the tall gearing on the auto is to blame, the car's power range just isn't there from a roll. The manual helps this some but I think the Max's greatest advantage comes in the 0-60 range b/c the off the line power. I've also raced a modded 2k Max 5spd off the line and he pulled roughly ½ a carlength off the line and then he started losing ground from there. By the top of 2nd I was about to pull clear of him when I shut it down.
Old 04-26-2002, 06:53 AM
SLOW

The maxima is the faster car, stock for stock and mod for mod, but its not so much faster that the prelude would get blown out of the water or anything like that. All it would take for him to win and you to lose is a bit more skill on his part, or a mistake on your part.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:12 AM

As a former modded Prelude owner, I can tell you its going to be close. From a stop is your best shot so your torque advantage can shine. I raced a 985spd with only intake (Maxima) in my Prelude with i/h/e/VAFC from about 70mph to around 130mph and in the end pulled about five to six cars at least on him.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:57 AM

I raced my boys 94 lude with a JDM H22 engine, intake, exhaust, header and VAFC from about 60 we both downshifted into 3rd gear at the same time and he was at my door for like 4 seconds and then I started to pull on him real hard until I stopped at like 110 to make a U turn and smoke him some more.... you should win just dont redline
Old 04-26-2002, 01:11 PM

Damn, where do you guys race these Preludes? Shadow is almost the only Maxima I ever get to race and now with his supercharger and his soon to be installed direct port I don't have much chance unless he launches a piston. It used to be a lot more fun when I could pull 2 carlengths by the top of 2nd gear.

You can't make a blanket statement like the Maxima is faster since there are tons of variations in Maximas and Preludes. Different years of 4th Gen Maximas already show huge differences in speed depending on their transmission and between years. Ask Veetec on here, he pulled a 13.7 on his '93 Prelude w/ bolt-ons(before the engine rebuild). He also pulled a high 14 w/ his stock Maxima but that doesn't mean every driver of a Prelude or a Maxima is capable of those speeds.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Mishap
Damn, where do you guys race these Preludes? Shadow is almost the only Maxima I ever get to race and now with his supercharger and his soon to be installed direct port I don't have much chance unless he launches a piston. It used to be a lot more fun when I could pull 2 carlengths by the top of 2nd gear.

You can't make a blanket statement like the Maxima is faster since there are tons of variations in Maximas and Preludes. Different years of 4th Gen Maximas already show huge differences in speed depending on their transmission and between years. Ask Veetec on here, he pulled a 13.7 on his '93 Prelude w/ bolt-ons(before the engine rebuild). He also pulled a high 14 w/ his stock Maxima but that doesn't mean every driver of a Prelude or a Maxima is capable of those speeds.
My neighbor drives a prelude. Used to race every day leaving home and coming home from work. 2001 5 spd with cam gears intake and exhaust. I used to pull on him slightly from 0-90 and then just leave him behind afterwards in my almost stock 2k GLE maxima. Now granted he can't drive for ****, but I would say with the added off the line umph of the 5 speed max, his mods, and some practice.. This shouldn't be much of a problem. Fun way to win or lose 100 bucks.

Another one of my friends just bought a brand new 'lude as well... he won't even race me in my 2k2
Old 04-26-2002, 05:03 PM

Id say do it! I took one of my friends who has a prelude, CAI and exhaust. Its a pretty close race, but you should pull ahead
Old 04-26-2002, 09:12 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Mishap

I am well aware of VeeTec's exploits in both his prelude and his maxima. I too pulled high 14s stock in my maxima. In my mind, if we are talking purely about how "fast" a car is compared to another car, the driver doesn't enter into the equation. I'd venture to say, and you of course don't have to agree, that given equal drivers, the maxima would beat a prelude, especially the heavier 97+ body style. And that given the same mods, the maxima would still be faster. Keep in mind the amount of basic bolt ons for the H22A far exceeds the amount of basic bolt ons for the maxima, so saying his bolt on prelude was faster than his maxima doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm assuming he had cam gears, possibly cams, VAFC, headers, etc, all mods that are not avaible for the maxima.

To further explain my position, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't know of a whole lot of preludes running 14.4 with just headers (comparable to my 14.4 with just y-pipe), 14.3 with just headers and intake (comparable to VQdriver's 14.32 with just y-pipe and intake) and 14.2s with just intake, exhaust and headers, (which is comparable to TheBlue's 14.28 with I/Y/E). Given the massive number of preludes compared to maximas you see at the track, I'd bet that if those numbers were possible with the given mods, someone would have run them. I'm making these assumptions based on the "all else being equal" theory, tires, atmospheric conditions, track conditions, etc.

I am in no way bashing preludes whatsoever, I love preludes. The only other car I was looking for when I bought my maxima was a 93-96 prelude VTEC. I just happened to find my Maxima first. I've been a honda guy for a long time with an accord and two modified civics, so please don't think I am just being brand loyal. I honestly believe that "all else being equal" the 5spd 4th gen Maxima is faster that the 97+ Prelude.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:11 AM
Sports Button FTW

we can beat everything can't we....

i just don't get it....i see preludes, from their roar to their nice looking style, in fact, besides the newest accord coupe, the only OTHER honda i would ever get is the prelude...just looks so hot...but it looks terribly fast and i don't see how stock vs stock and with a NEWER year (97 vs 95) we can beat a prelude if the drivers are exactly the same...i love my max and max's in general but some things i just cna't understand....

next u guys are gonna say stock vs stock we can beat a 95 legend and up....

same with the V8 Mustangs....

i can understand with mods and all but jesus, stock?! I seriously don't see how we can mess with these high end coupe racing cars....just my 2 pennies...
Old 04-27-2002, 01:04 AM

DUDE, "high end coupe racing cars"?!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:02 AM

Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Originally posted by meccanoble
i just don't get it....i see preludes, from their roar to their nice looking style, in fact, besides the newest accord coupe, the only OTHER honda i would ever get is the prelude...just looks so hot...but it looks terribly fast and i don't see how stock vs stock and with a NEWER year (97 vs 95) we can beat a prelude if the drivers are exactly the same...i love my max and max's in general but some things i just cna't understand....

i can understand with mods and all but jesus, stock?! I seriously don't see how we can mess with these high end coupe racing cars....just my 2 pennies...
in general i don't fear preludes, especially one's with basic bolt ons. their bark is just meaner than their bite. in fact i look forward to running with them. i haven't seen one SH on the track that runs 14's on just bolt ons. just make sure he isn't on the bottle and don't make a mistake on your driving. you'll be fine
Old 04-27-2002, 09:04 AM

the only OTHER honda i would ever get is the prelude...just looks so hot...but it looks terribly fast
have u driven a prelude??
looks fast is different from being fast
Old 04-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Funny this should come up...

Just yesterday I raced a '97-style (I don't know exactly which year but it was that generation) 5spd VTEC Prelude. Off the line I had about a 1-car jump becuase he had alittle slow reaction time and his car just didn't seem to launch as well as mine. By the time we were at 70MpH I felt him gaining and he was at my rear bumper and pulling slowly. We had to shut down because of traffic, but I know that were we to keep going he would have beat me by just a tad. By the way I am auto.
-Cyrus
Old 04-27-2002, 11:19 AM

ill racem.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:35 AM

You can't go on looks to determine how fast a car is. There's a term that many people apply to a pimped out Honda. "All show, no go." Don't let looks fool ya. Just stick to the facts, like published 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. From year to year, the top-end Preludes and Maxima run very comparable 1/4 mile times, with the exception of the '02 Max, which would kill any stock Prelude of any year.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:36 PM

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. When mine had only pulleys, I ran a 15 flat. That is pretty much as good as it gets with basically a stock Prelude. Ofcourse stock Maximas (4th gens) can hit 14.7-14.9. So I guess that settles it. Ofcourse if you do screw up the launch, your screwed.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:07 PM

Well you guys, I think I might take up the offer. I found out by the time both or us hit the track the lude will have exhaust and intake, but oh well. The kid is 17 and had the car for 3 months. I've got an idea he cant launch the thing. I'll probably hit the track up before i race him to see how i do. If I break 15's pretty consistently, I'm going do it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-27-2002, 02:12 PM

It is your money, be safe.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:21 PM

Re: Offered $100 to race a 97 5spd VTEC lude! Help

Originally posted by bmxsteve
i barely hang with VTEC ludes. they're quick man. but i think you have a shot. . . hey it's only $ right oh btw, who offered 100 to race and why?
Old 04-27-2002, 02:26 PM

Oh yeah, the 5th gens have a tach that is off by about 600rpms at redlines. If he shifts at the indicated redline of 7400 rpms, he'll for sure lose. He should shift at an indicated 8Krpms. Ofcourse, you dont have to let him in on that fact....lol. Also if he is launching below 4800 (at the bare minimum) he'll lose too. I have faith in you if you can launch.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:52 PM

Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Originally posted by Mystical2k2SE

You can't go on looks to determine how fast a car is. There's a term that many people apply to a pimped out Honda. "All show, no go." Don't let looks fool ya. Just stick to the facts, like published 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. From year to year, the top-end Preludes and Maxima run very comparable 1/4 mile times, with the exception of the '02 Max, which would kill any stock Prelude of any year.
i used to go by magazine times like it was written on stone. motor trend had the 95 max at 15.2@92. then i hit up my local track and am able to get under 15 seconds stock. then mid to low 14's with simple bolt ons. sometimes the mags aren't up to par. what if they published a 95 maxima running 14s? all those V8s not running 14's would lose out on business. then again, on the other side, some mags rate the WRX as 14.1. i take my dad's WRX out and can only get a 14.6. so a lot has to do with outside conditions, the driver and how much practice you have. sometimes you have a "freak car"
Old 04-27-2002, 07:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Originally posted by VQdriver
i used to go by magazine times like it was written on stone. motor trend had the 95 max at 15.2@92. then i hit up my local track and am able to get under 15 seconds stock. then mid to low 14's with simple bolt ons. sometimes the mags aren't up to par. what if they published a 95 maxima running 14s? all those V8s not running 14's would lose out on business. then again, on the other side, some mags rate the WRX as 14.1. i take my dad's WRX out and can only get a 14.6. so a lot has to do with outside conditions, the driver and how much practice you have. sometimes you have a "freak car"
Yeah, just race him and be done with it. You'll most likely win, and if you dont.....never come back here ever again.....
Old 04-27-2002, 07:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Originally posted by Maximus1000

Yeah, just race him and be done with it. You'll most likely win, and if you dont.....never come back here ever again.....
if preludes launch below 4800 it'll bog right? that means auto preludes are really slow off the line? if they do 5~10mph roll & the prelude guy was coasting in first gear without clutching the max should jump ahead right?
Old 04-27-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Originally posted by costcowholesale

if preludes launch below 4800 it'll bog right? that means auto preludes are really slow off the line? if they do 5~10mph roll & the prelude guy was coasting in first gear without clutching the max should jump ahead right?
costco, what kind of suspension do you have? it looks super low!
Old 04-27-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Originally posted by VQdriver
costco, what kind of suspension do you have? it looks super low!
photochop supension, can raise or lower it as much as I want
Old 04-27-2002, 09:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

photochop supension, can raise or lower it as much as I want
Not to be mean or anything, photoshop are not to be used for rice coil cuts!
Old 04-27-2002, 09:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

In a way....yes. It wont necessarily bog, it just wont be anywhere nears its powerband if you launch below that. 5K is the VTEC engangement point where the high/hot cams kick in. You dont want to be stuck in the low cams if you can avoid it.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Originally posted by sympatico

Not to be mean or anything, photoshop are not to be used for rice coil cuts!
why don't you tell the photoshop programmers that & make them put a warning message on the menu "do not use this program for rice coil cuts"
Old 04-27-2002, 09:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

In a way....yes. It wont necessarily bog, it just wont be anywhere nears its powerband if you launch below that. 5K is the VTEC engangement point where the high/hot cams kick in. You dont want to be stuck in the low cams if you can avoid it.
how fast can auto prelude run in the 1/4mile?
Old 04-27-2002, 10:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

how fast can auto prelude run in the 1/4mile?
i think they're high 15s and low 16s..probably mostly low 16s
Old 04-27-2002, 10:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Originally posted by MaximaPower

i think they're high 15s and low 16s..probably mostly low 16s

what kinda 60' can auto prelude get? 2.5? & what mph do they trap @?
Old 04-27-2002, 11:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

what kinda 60' can auto prelude get? 2.5? & what mph do they trap @?
Not sure. I think the avg auto time is 16.2 or so and they trap at around 90. Not too strong at all. Car and Driver (for whats it worth) got a 5spd to 15.3@93mph.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

Not sure. I think the avg auto time is 16.2 or so and they trap at around 90. Not too strong at all. Car and Driver (for whats it worth) got a 5spd to 15.3@93mph.
I got a chance racing auto prelude
Old 04-28-2002, 07:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

I got a chance racing auto prelude
r u surprised??
man u think ludes are all that??
u obviously have no confidence in your car
Old 04-28-2002, 08:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

r u surprised??
man u think ludes are all that??
u obviously have no confidence in your car
after the guy pulled 3 cars on me from 20-70mph showing me his altezzas yes.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

after the guy pulled 3 cars on me from 20-70mph showing me his altezzas yes.
u sure the guy had an auto??
Old 04-28-2002, 12:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: we can beat everything can't we....

u sure the guy had an auto??
no, it was a stick, but it pulled away so fast that it made me think even if it was an auto it would have pulled away.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:23 PM

His Prelude is far from stock then. Ask him to pop his hood and look for a cold air intake, JR Supercharger and/or headers.

Quick Reply: Offered $100 to race a 97 5spd VTEC lude! Help