General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

EUREKA, I have uncovered why there is a HP difference between Nissan VQ powered cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 08:10 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

EUREKA, I have uncovered why there is a HP difference between Nissan VQ powered cars.

According to this guy it is as simple as floor mats. I REALLY think this is BS but all the altima guys seem to believe it..what do you think about this?

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthr...ghlight=eureka
Old 04-04-2002, 08:12 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Just in case some of you can't log in there to read the entire thread, here is his original post:

It seems that there is considerable talk about Nissan wanting to recall it's Maxima's and Altimas with the VQ engines and install Stoppers under the Gas Pedal in order to limit the horspower of the cars and make them safer.

Hmmm, if this is true about this stopper, then the opposite could also be true............

Let's assume for arguments sake that the stopper is meant to be used to slow down our little 4 wheeled rockets. (Perhaps the engineers at Nissan have realized that they may have overspec'd the Altima. It would be pretty embarasing for them if we could out pace the new 350Z. It will be interesting to see if they delay the arrival of the 350Z until they cleaverly get all the Altima and Maxima owners in the shop to add the stopper. (A devilishly diabolical plan if I do say so Myself))

So this is my thought. If I could shave down the floor board say another 10% deeper, hen theoretically I could produce an extra 24 HP Bringing the Altima up to 264HP. An iteresting theory based on the stopper principal, But can it be proven????

Well being the take charge kind of guy that I am I called my bud with a 2002 Maxima to come over to help me out with this experiment. Well guess what??!!! When I got out my steel thickness guages and we measured the thickness of the Altima and the Maxima floor boards the Maxima's floor board was 5% thinner...... EUREKA!! the answer to the lost 10 horspower between the 2 cars

An almost bullit proof theory, but I had to test it once again. So I went to the Infinity dealer that I knew and asked him if my bud and I could take out the G35 with out a salesman. He said it was O.K. So we brought the G35 home stipped off the carpeting and measured the floor board. Well the floor boards were 11% thinner than the Altima. With the G35 touting 265HP My theory was now bullit proof.........

BUT WAIT!!!!!

With the 350 Z rumoured to be coming out with 290 HP, according to my calculations the floor boards would have to be paper thin!!!!!!!!!! Any sudden slamming of the brakes would put your foot right through the floor........ My Theory had a HOLE!!!

Luckly while doing my original research on my Nissan purchase I befriended a Nissan project and design engineer in Japan. We corresponded at great lengths over the internet about the nissan design philosophy. In order to thank him for his help I sent him over a few pairs of Levi's jeans. He told me that he owed me one.........

It was time for me to pull in my Marker!!!

I confronted him with my floorboard theory.... He was shocked and wanted to know how I found out about it.... He confirmed My Theory and told me that it was in fact what was happening with the cars in order to show more Horse power output from the same engine and maintain a hierarchy of vehicles in the Nissan LINE UP.

So of course my next question was, How were they going to produce the 290 HP 350Z with paper thin floor boards?????

Easy he said, they have come up with a special reinforced paper thin floor board made out of TITANIUM..........

According to my friend the Engineer from Japan, this is not new technology, infact, they stole it many years ago from the North American Automakers. (They accidentally uncovered it while studying early episodes of the Flintstones, and realized that fred's car had no floor boards. It was quite a novel Idea at the time.) In fact The first Japanese cars that came to North Amarica in the late 60's used the thin floorboard technology. This is why they could produce so much horse power out of thier four cylinders at the time. The technology was put on the shelf in the late 70's because as you know the Japanese cars were notorlious for rusting out and many 5 year old Japanese cars could not pass safety inspections because of holes in the floor boards. It actually created a very dangerous situation because exhaust fumes could actually enter into the cabin of the car. It seems that the steel being produced in those days was poor and had very little structural integrity.

But now with the advent of new stainless steels and titanium metals, it's a hole new ballgame in the Steel industry!! (Witness the great advances in golf clubs. The new TITANIUM club faces are much thinner, but considerably stronger than the old steel club faces.)

So Nissan, 4 years ago took the thin floorboard technology off of the shelf and designed it into the new VQ powered cars.

As soon as the other manufactures catch on, I am sure you will start to see a change in the design of their cars. Roof lines will get higher and driver seats will be higher from the floor in order to be able to get more distance between the gas pedal and the floor. Just put an Altima next to a Pontiac Grand Prix and notice how the roof of the Altima bubbles much higher and the seat position are much higher in the car.

Who knows perhaps in the future, the power of your car will be determened by the length of your legs????
When that time comes, we will see the migration of Basketball players becoming Racing car drivers.
Races will be won by the team that has a car still left running in the race that hasn't toppled over due to the high centre of gravity that will be required for the future 780HP family sedans.

My theory is now fact!!! Well this afternoon I am going to be cutting out my floor boards and installing the TITANIUM ones sent to me By my engineer friend. I will have the first 290HP Altima....
I will post pictures as soon as I am done.

Regards,
TEAMCANADA.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:31 PM

Whoa!!

Thats sounds to good to be true, but by reading what you are saying that is so freaking awsome, i bet manufactures find out about this theory of yours, they will be selling titanium floor boards like crazy. A somewhat cosmetic modification that actually in increases HP.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:40 PM

sounds way too good to be true, but i guess we'll just have to wait and find out
Old 04-04-2002, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Uh ........ huh.

By the way ... I have this bridge for sale ... you wanna look at it?
Old 04-04-2002, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by clee130
Uh ........ huh.

is this by chance the Brooklyn Bridge?...if so, how does $100 sound?
Old 04-04-2002, 08:57 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

All I gotta say is that is the biggest bunch of.........(fell out the chair ) Ahh, nevermind.

Dave
Old 04-04-2002, 08:57 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I remember whne I first heard that joke back in middle school, I was like "how much??"

Originally posted by clee130
Uh ........ huh.

Old 04-04-2002, 09:22 PM

What a bunch of bs.

i bet that is roadbeast trying to get a new gd goin on thin titanium floor boards.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:28 PM

really? well i have some ocean front property in arizona to go with that bridge of yours
Old 04-04-2002, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
What a bunch of bs.

i bet that is roadbeast trying to get a new gd goin on thin titanium floor boards.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:48 PM

Old 04-04-2002, 09:54 PM

just so everyone knows for sure, cuz i wouldnt want to hear this come up again as a serious statement, that whole article was a complete joke
Old 04-04-2002, 09:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

will the gas pedal go down further w/o that plastic piece?
Old 04-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

If you step on the gas pedal hard enough... you can break into the 13's in the quarter mile.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by TN-Max
just so everyone knows for sure, cuz i wouldnt want to hear this come up again as a serious statement, that whole article was a complete joke
Im with him.. besides isnt the gas pedal electronic controlled?
Old 04-04-2002, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
If you step on the gas pedal hard enough... you can break into the 13's in the quarter mile.
wow, i never knew all the hidden potential my car possessed, and to think my stock 4th gen auto max will now run a good 3 seconds faster in the 1/4
Old 04-05-2002, 12:06 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
All I gotta say is that is the biggest bunch of.........(fell out the chair ) Ahh, nevermind.

Dave
agreed dave, esp with a fly by wire you can calibratge the throttle motor to any opening you want at any position, it' sall BS and again not even worth looking for the flag.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:21 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Old 04-05-2002, 04:37 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
What a bunch of bs.

cant stop laughing off that one. classic.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:21 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

If this was a HonDUH board they would have already been setting up Group Buys and would already have their money out!!!

I'm glad you guys saw right through this crock of ****!
Old 04-05-2002, 05:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

LOL...too funny!
Old 04-05-2002, 06:14 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

WTH!!!! Of all the dumbest ideas, they came up with the king whooper of stupid ideas. LOL.

Old 04-05-2002, 06:15 AM

I don't understand how people fall for this kinda $hit. The Rev limiter is set, wheater you take rubbers off the gas pedal or not, that is not changeing. If anything it may improve throttle response a little but won't make more HP.

The boy went to a infiniti Dealership, Got a New G-35.. Took it home, and stripped the carpet YYYYEEEAAAHHHHH RIGHT
Old 04-05-2002, 06:29 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

WTH!!!! Of all the dumbest ideas, they came up with the king whooper of stupid ideas. LOL.

Old 04-05-2002, 06:56 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

new foot powered brakes?
Old 04-05-2002, 09:10 AM

That was a good laugh though! Some people...
Old 04-05-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Nismo

Im with him.. besides isnt the gas pedal electronic controlled?

Yeah the 3.5L Altima/Maximas have electronic throttle control. It doesn't matter how far the gas pedal moves. Full throttle (pedal to the floor) is full throttle. Won't give you any more horsepower if the pedal is calibrated to move 1mm farther down.

As I was reading the story, it got more and more silly...engineers from Japan, titanium floorboards, etc.. It would be cheaper for Nissan to just mold the steel differently for the floorboard if this gas pedal trick were really true.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by RedMax95
really? well i have some ocean front property in arizona to go with that bridge of yours
Ironically the original London Bridge was sold to a land developer in the 1930's, and now sits a Lake Havasou in Arizona.

He had all the bricks numbered, disassembled, and reassembled in Lake havasou, hoping it would attract people to move there.

It worked.

<little trivia for you, and absolutely true)

IanS
Old 04-05-2002, 11:15 AM

I can't believe you guys are seriously discussing this. Read the whole thread! It's a joke!

Originally posted by TEAMCANADA:
I hope you hadn't already peeled back your carpeting before you realized that this was in jest.........
Old 04-05-2002, 11:26 AM

Okay guys, here's the deal

Okay guys,

I just got off the phone with my supplier. I can get these titanium floorboards for a 95-99 maxima. I'm setting up a gd for the 4th gens, 3rd gen's will follow.

My suppliers name is Street Animal and he will be shipping these items from the middle east**... the price will be set as follows:

1-5 orders: $999.99
6-10 orders: $1500
10+ orders: $2000

Yes I understand that normally the price goes down as more items are ordered but come on people - supply and demand~! This will be the best mod for your minima... guaranteed.

Anyway, please send paypal with your shipping address to ckny@maxima.org and allow 8-10 months for shipping.

Thank You!

**the road beast referrence was a joke - i appologize to anyone that was involved with that whole mess - i feel for you guys
Old 04-05-2002, 02:05 PM

I hear Nopionline.com has these for $199, just go to their main page and click on the 'Phantom Products' link. They're in there along with the red/clear tails for a '96 and the Pacesetter STS.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:06 PM

I will take a quater of what ever you people are smoking"inhale,exhale just got an ounce in the mail"
Pick it, pack it ,fire it up,come along and take a hit from the bong
Old 04-05-2002, 09:15 PM
Granny Driven

It is a joke. What does floor size has to do with HP??????? Make it 1 inch thick and it wont increase the HP. And what dums *** will go to put gas peddle stoppers. Nice joke.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:06 PM

Re: Okay guys, here's the deal

Originally posted by CKNY

**the road beast referrence was a joke - i appologize to anyone that was involved with that whole mess - i feel for you guys
Speaking of which, i really am selling the ME Intake, and I'm legit.

Anyway, just wanted to say you sig is about the funniest I've seen in a long while.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:29 PM

Re: Re: Okay guys, here's the deal

Originally posted by iansw

Speaking of which, i really am selling the ME Intake, and I'm legit.

Anyway, just wanted to say you sig is about the funniest I've seen in a long while.

i wish it weren't true
Old 04-06-2002, 05:06 PM

Just tie a knot on your throttle cable and *BAM* 20 extra ponies
Old 04-06-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by geo1317
Just tie a knot on your throttle cable and *BAM* 20 extra ponies
Check this out. Because my 02 has throttle by "wire" I decided to try something special. Instead of thinning the the floor board try this. I simply removed my accellerator pedal and put it in a vice and added a additional 15 degree bend to the actual lever. I then I raced my buddy who has a 02 ZO6. I still got my a$$ handed to me but once my tires stopped spinning (at about 50mph) I started to catch up and by the end of our mock 1/4 mile run I was doin about 122mph. I can't believe that someone else has not thought of this. You may all take this wonder mod and use it at will but don't hold me resposible if you over do it and _uck something up.

I also found out that you should not place Nissans mud mats on top of the carpet mats as this WILL limit the pedal travel.<<for real ^^not

l8tr -- SS
Old 04-06-2002, 09:50 PM

hrmm - i'll never look at an altima owner the same ungain........lol -wonder what wood happen if i goto an infiniti dealer and ask them if i could take home a G35 to see how thick the skin on the seats are
Old 04-06-2002, 10:30 PM

Do Altima guys really need this floorboard idea to feel good about their cars???
Why not just move the pedal further up and out instead of messing with the floorboard??

BTW, what is the price on that bridge and beach front property in Az?? I think I can afford that.

Quick Reply: EUREKA, I have uncovered why there is a HP difference between Nissan VQ powered cars.