General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to prevent static shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 09:50 AM

With winter coming on and the air getting so much drier, I'm finding that every time I exit my Max I get a wicked static shock. Anyone got any thoughts on how to limit this?

I was also pleased to find (as I scraped off ice from the car for the first time) that I have heated side mirrors.

- Andrew
Old 11-22-2000, 10:01 AM
Eman97SE

The only way I've found that consistently works is to attach a couple of rubber straps to the rear axle that kind of drag/float above the ground while your driving. It's cheesy I know, but it keeps your car at close to the same potential as the ground, ie 0 volts. It's either that or a bunch of cans of static guard... which don't work well on leather.

Old 11-22-2000, 10:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Use your key and touch a metal part on your car.
Old 11-22-2000, 12:06 PM

Or, touch your car with your fist first, that way it's not as shocking--or close the door with your foot. I use that second one.....hehe.
Old 11-22-2000, 01:02 PM

What I do is carefully get out of my car without touching a metal surface. Then I touch the tip my key to the metal frame of the door, at which point I hear a static shock discharging. Then I shut the door with my hand. This technique does not always work, but it usually does.

My car has the worst static charge problems. I get blue luminous arcs jumping from my key to metal surfaces like the door or ignition cylinder. CRAZY!! One time, an arc jumped from my car to the gas pump nozzle!! I almost had a heart attack!!! Lucky for me...liquid gas isn't that flammable (it's the gas vapors that ignite, even in your engine).

Hence...the inventive signature title.

Old 11-22-2000, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's strange how all you guys get electicutad,

all the time my max has never sparked me I wonder why some people get sparked and others don't? Maybe you guys are just electric or something what do eat or drink? haha
Old 11-22-2000, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Use your key and touch a metal part on your car.
and all of a sudden you see a blue arc forming between the car and your key. you panic and swing your arm to the side trying to avoid the arc. in doing so you accidentally scratched a nice thin groove on your car.

Just go get an Earth Strip or an Earth antenna. And for those antennas, some of them look like that Ooglie Antenna on Kev's car.
Old 11-22-2000, 02:44 PM

I kinda like that little shock.

"Makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class."
Old 11-22-2000, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have my passenger close their door first. =)
Old 11-22-2000, 04:35 PM

Hey Eric L,

Nice sig caption!!!

Originally posted by Eric L.
What I do is carefully get out of my car without touching a metal surface. Then I touch the tip my key to the metal frame of the door, at which point I hear a static shock discharging. Then I shut the door with my hand. This technique does not always work, but it usually does.

My car has the worst static charge problems. I get blue luminous arcs jumping from my key to metal surfaces like the door or ignition cylinder. CRAZY!! One time, an arc jumped from my car to the gas pump nozzle!! I almost had a heart attack!!! Lucky for me...liquid gas isn't that flammable (it's the gas vapors that ignite, even in your engine).

Hence...the inventive signature title.

Old 11-24-2000, 02:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have never gotten shocked from being in a car. I don't understand that. In fact, tire makers still use rubber in the compounds for this very reason. There is a large silica content in tires. Silica is actually a stronger and stickier material than rubber, but all-silica tires created terrible static electricity in the car during testing, so they went back to a design that incorporated circumferential bands of rubber around the tire to always keep the car grounded. So I didn't think anybody ever got shocked when getting out of a car. I'm glad I don't.
Old 11-24-2000, 05:03 PM

try this

..stop wearing nylon pants...get a good pair of Levi's............. on a more serious note..it only ever happens to me when I'm wearing running shoes in the car...It's WEIRD..any other kind of shoe, (mostly DOCS)..actually ALL DOCS....it never happens. Put on the runners>>>> ZAPPED
Old 11-24-2000, 05:47 PM

before you get out, put your hand on a piece of metal. door, roof, pillar, and then put your feet down. now stand up and close the door. i used to have that nasty problem with my 93 SR5 Toyota 4x4. happend to my mom once while she was carrying a bag of groceries... it wasn't pretty.
Old 11-24-2000, 09:15 PM

I think it's the shoes...

Whenever I wear running shoes, I get zapped...but if I'm wearing my leather soled dress shoes (like during work usually) no problem at all. SOmehting about how it grounds you. Also, if I wear my long coat (wool/cashmere) it gets a LOT worse.

my 2c.

Old 11-25-2000, 05:04 PM
Johnson

My Max only shocks my wife!

I drive too fast on occasion for her (depends on the time of the month) she yells at me.. The car takes it personally and when she gets out and touches the door DAAAYAAAAWWWWHHH! Maybe one day she will learn