General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pics and Vid of Rio Car MP3 Player

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Pics and Vid of Rio Car MP3 Player

Installed the Rio car player last week, the docking bay is kind of a tight fit in our cars and the plastic front piece needs to be shaved down a bit but other than that it fits well. This is probably one of the coolest things I've bought in a while. It's really well designed. I think there are still a couple left for sale but they are going really quick. They are liquidating the entire stock. They no longer are going for $1200 any more.

Pics of headunits in dark:
http://www.digitalfury.org/images/rio/rio1.jpg
http://www.digitalfury.org/images/rio/rio2.jpg

Blurry pic of install:
http://www.digitalfury.org/images/rio/rio3.jpg

Video of Visuals:
http://www.digitalfury.org/images/rio/riovis.mpg

BTW: I hooked all of this up to my Bose system using a low signal converter. Sounds killer.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:39 PM
Honda Convert!

Re: Pics and Vid of Rio Car MP3 Player

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ants97SE
Installed the Rio car player last week, the docking bay is kind of a tight fit in our cars and the plastic front piece needs to be shaved down a bit but other than that it fits well. This is probably one of the coolest things I've bought in a while. It's really well designed. I think there are still a couple left for sale but they are going really quick. They are liquidating the entire stock. They no longer are going for $1200 any more.

Blurry pic of install:

Video of Visuals:
[/QUOTE
Dude that thing is awsome i wnat one how much and what do i have to do to get one.

Bruce
Old 01-20-2002, 07:00 PM

Rio Specs
http://www.riohome.com/products/riocar.htm

Rio Store
http://store.sonicblue.com/dr/v2/ec_...840&CACHE_ID=0
Old 01-20-2002, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's the coolest car stereo product I've ever seen. I must have one...
Old 01-20-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
That's the coolest car stereo product I've ever seen. I must have one...

yep, they rule. Hey Ant you got blue like me! What a good deal they are now, I almost want to buy another one lol
Old 01-20-2002, 08:48 PM

Yeah, I like the blue. I wish I could find a tuner though. Although I kinda like the setup with two units.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:59 AM

Is it possible to have this installed with the stock Bose head unit? Like install it in the little compartment underneath the head unit and above the ash trey and 12v?
Old 01-21-2002, 02:12 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE
Is it possible to have this installed with the stock Bose head unit? Like install it in the little compartment underneath the head unit and above the ash trey and 12v?
Yes ive seen other people mount headunits there so i imagine it would be but you might have to shave a little bit to get it to fit just right but there is plenty of room behind for it.

Bruce
Old 01-21-2002, 05:38 AM

Yeah, it is possible but you'd need inputs on the headunit for the mp3 player since it uses either outputs to your headunit or outputs to your amp. It would kind of be pointless to use this with the stock Bose headunit.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
Yeah, I like the blue. I wish I could find a tuner though. Although I kinda like the setup with two units.
yes I like my setup, too, with the two head units. It kix. Best of both worlds. Tuner/in-dash cd/changer/rio/etc
Old 01-21-2002, 08:31 AM

wow.....that's pretty cool.....but i think i will just stick to my satellite radio!
Old 01-21-2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by pawn
wow.....that's pretty cool.....but i think i will just stick to my satellite radio!
I dont know anyone with that yet.. How do you like it so far?

SuDZ
Old 01-21-2002, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by SuDZ

I dont know anyone with that yet.. How do you like it so far?

SuDZ

love it!
Old 01-21-2002, 09:44 AM

So how does this thing work? You download songs on your computer and how do they get to the headunit?

Will it fit good with another Single-DIN unit in the OEM Double-DIN unit? Does it have like a detachable face or anything?

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 01-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Ill stick to burning mp3 cds must admit that its gotten affordable, thats for sure.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by OgreDave
Ill stick to burning mp3 cds must admit that its gotten affordable, thats for sure.

hey....can i see a pic of your car.....i have a 97 black 5spd.and i am getting the CF hood....and i wanna see a pic of how it looks on a black car.....
Old 01-21-2002, 11:34 AM

so do you need an external amp for it?
Old 01-21-2002, 02:11 PM

The unit does not have a built in amp so either you hook it up to an amplifier or hook it up to a headunits inputs. You can hook up the unit to a wall plug at home and download all the songs to it or hook it up to your stereo. Then once you are getting ready to roll out, you slide the deck into the docking-din station in the single DIN space of your car. Just snap it into place and it'll power up. It is the DIN spec sized.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:56 PM

2k2 install without removing bose HU?

Now I have an empeg and I'm looking at installation options for my 2k2 SE.

Since they're out of tuner modules for the empeg, I'd like to keep the bose HU that I have.

The best suggestion I've heard is to move the climate controls and put the empeg there. I'm told that using a switch to control which HU is connected to the amp is the way to go (sounds good to me, no biggie).

The part I'm wondering about is: if I take out the climate controls, is there enough space to mount the empeg (about 6.5" deep with wires) in that spot? Since the climate controls are all digital, is it simply a matter of splicing in longer wires to move the control panel into the armrest?

For those who haven't seen an empeg in a Max, here's some shots of mine in my car for reference: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/theamigo4...r=/car&.view=t
Old 01-26-2002, 04:12 PM

Re: 2k2 install without removing bose HU?

Originally posted by TheAmigo
Now I have an empeg and I'm looking at installation options for my 2k2 SE.

Since they're out of tuner modules for the empeg, I'd like to keep the bose HU that I have.

The best suggestion I've heard is to move the climate controls and put the empeg there. I'm told that using a switch to control which HU is connected to the amp is the way to go (sounds good to me, no biggie).

The part I'm wondering about is: if I take out the climate controls, is there enough space to mount the empeg (about 6.5" deep with wires) in that spot? Since the climate controls are all digital, is it simply a matter of splicing in longer wires to move the control panel into the armrest?

For those who haven't seen an empeg in a Max, here's some shots of mine in my car for reference: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/theamigo4...r=/car&.view=t
Where would you put the climate controls? And they said before that it would be difficult to get the rio car to plug and play with the stock bose hu.
Old 01-26-2002, 04:48 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't try using it with the stock bose unit, I'm not even sure that would work. Your best bet would be to buy a seperate headunit with auxilary ports and use a low-level signal converter so you can keep your Bose speakers. Sounds great doing it that way.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:37 PM

I'm not looking to get the empeg and the stock Bose HUs to talk to eachother. Having an A/B switch at the amp would allow me to pick which one I'm listening to.

I'm trying to cut down on the cost of having to buy another HU just for a radio when I've already got one that does radio/CD/tape.

The climate controls don't quite fit (but it's close) in the arm rest.

The ultimate would be to have the climate controls replaced with a GUI util on the empeg, but I'm not up to that I'd rather save the empeg's serial port for the in-progress OBD-II project.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by TheAmigo
I'm not looking to get the empeg and the stock Bose HUs to talk to eachother. Having an A/B switch at the amp would allow me to pick which one I'm listening to.

I'm trying to cut down on the cost of having to buy another HU just for a radio when I've already got one that does radio/CD/tape.

The climate controls don't quite fit (but it's close) in the arm rest.

The ultimate would be to have the climate controls replaced with a GUI util on the empeg, but I'm not up to that I'd rather save the empeg's serial port for the in-progress OBD-II project.
Oh so you have it working in your car already with your Bose? And whats the OBD-II project?
Old 01-26-2002, 08:42 PM

Ok, let me start over and see if I can be more clear.

I have an empeg. It has never been installed. The pictures are just me holding it up for a size comparison.

I don't want to install it until I know which approach to use. I don't want to go ripping apart the dash, cutting face plates to fit, etc, only to find that the approach I've started won't work. So, no, I haven't started yet. The empeg is sitting on the table next to my computer right now. (I'm working on getting my pager to talk to the empeg via IrDA)

I'm not worried about getting two HUs to be wired in series. For the rare occasion that I'll want to switch from the empeg to the Bose HU, I can flip a switch.

I'm trying to figure out where I want to install the empeg so as to leave the Bose HU in place (since there aren't any more radio tuners for the empeg) without doing any major reconstructive surgery on the dash.

While mounting the empeg in the armrest looks like a nice fit, it doesn't allow easy access to view the display while driving. Putting the climate controls in the armrest looks pretty tempting. It might require cutting a slightly larger hole inside the armrest since the faceplate on the climate controls is a bit too wide, but I'd prefer that to cutting up the dash.

Replacing the Bose HU would require that I buy another 1-DIN HU for radio (which I may end up doing), but it seems a waste to not use the Bose HU I already have.

If I had known that the empeg units would be going on sale for so cheap, I wouldn't have gone with the Bose system, but then I've never been a very good psychic.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:16 PM

What size rio do you have anyway? I still don't have one, was trying to get a 20 gig off of ebay for $300 but i lost that bid. So I might end up getting on from sonicblue, no sure to get the 30 or 60 gig, I'll probably end up with the 60 since its kinda the better bargin. Just trying to find ways to hook it up without getting a different HU to go with the bose system.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:27 PM

At the time I placed my order, the 10s and 20s were sold out and the 60s said backordered so I bought a 30.

Just for the geek-factor, I'd like to have a WAP and an RJ45 jack (or a 4-port hub) to accommodate laptops I haven't checked, but I'm sure people have already compild dhcpd for it.

Would be nice to run mrtg to generate web-graphs of stats monitored via OBD-II. You could run use it as a sort of super trip computer. Have it auto-reset when you get gas and store a history of mpg.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: Pics and Vid of Rio Car MP3 Player

Originally posted by Ants97SE

Blurry pic of install:

Video of Visuals:

BTW: I hooked all of this up to my Bose system using a low signal converter. Sounds killer.
What kind of HU do you have with your rio?
Old 01-29-2002, 04:41 PM

Am I mistaken, or can this unit be used by itself. It says that it has front/rear outputs, as well as one extra 1v rca output... subwoofer amp? I know that you would have to have an amp for all your speakers, but it can be used all by itself.. correct?