General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A look inside Nissan's Oppama factory

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 PM

A look inside Nissan's Oppama factory

Cool vid that shows the goings-on inside the place where the gens 2-5.5 Maximas and I30s were made. I love seeing that "Made in Japan" label on my I35 .

Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 AM

I watched this as soon as they uploaded it.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 AM

Cool to see where my last two cars came from, never saw it before. Good to have the "made in Japan" sticker on there
Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 AM

First gens were also made at Oppama.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 AM

Grool. :-)
Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM

only a few models of Nissan Lineup is made in Japan, is the Leaf, Juke and Cube. while everything other models are made here in Tenn plant.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
only a few models of Nissan Lineup is made in Japan, is the Leaf, Juke and Cube. while everything other models are made here in Tenn plant.
Yes, it's very sad. Americans building Japanese cars. Pretty pathetic.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Yes, it's very sad. Americans building Japanese cars. Pretty pathetic.
What's really sad is that ever since Nissan and others like Toyota moved to building cars in the USA the quality has gone to pure RUNNY DIARRHEA $H*T

Quality in my 5th gen is so much better than the 7th gen, and you can really tell by the materials and comfort on the inside. There's so much hard plastics on these new cars they might as well be made in China!

I compared my dads old POS 98 Camry w/ 300k miles and cloth seats to a brand new 14' XLE fully-loaded and the old car was way better and more comfortable. At least the Maxima is still decent but then again it's not exactly a cheap car, others models like Altima on down the list really suffer from this crap.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Willing to learn

The Leaf is built in Smyrna, TN.

You left out the GTR, 370Z, Quest & Murano - all built in Japan.

Last edited by oldngivout; 04-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:23 AM

Some rogues are also assembled in Japan. Its a coin flip when they come through the shop whether they are assembled here or overseas.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Several models, including the new Murano are made in Canton, Mississippi.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 PM

Well, I see nothing worth seeing, or anything newer than what we've already seen/heard.

no offense.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
What's really sad is that ever since Nissan and others like Toyota moved to building cars in the USA the quality has gone to pure RUNNY DIARRHEA $H*T

Quality in my 5th gen is so much better than the 7th gen, and you can really tell by the materials and comfort on the inside. There's so much hard plastics on these new cars they might as well be made in China!

I compared my dads old POS 98 Camry w/ 300k miles and cloth seats to a brand new 14' XLE fully-loaded and the old car was way better and more comfortable. At least the Maxima is still decent but then again it's not exactly a cheap car, others models like Altima on down the list really suffer from this crap.
Certainly Carlos Ghosn played a part in that but cheapening of everything has happened to every maker though. Even Cadillacs now have a fair amount of hard plastic sprinkled throughout the interior compared to my old school 90s models with squishy everything. The trade off is newer cars generally perform better and have better MPG, better crashworthiness and far better NVH characteristics. I guarantee you, if you had to pick which one you were going to have an accident in, you'd probably pick the newer car. I got into an accident with the my old '06 GP a little over a year ago. Needed $7K worth of work to fix so you have an idea of how bad it was and I would NOT want to be in the same accident with any of the old cars I have now...they just aren't in the same ballpark.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:09 AM

I've seen Japanese auto workers doing military type calisthenics all dressed in the same white overalls just before starting their shifts. I just think they're more disciplined in the quality of their work. I've owned American, German, Korean, My Maxi is the best built car I've ever driven.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

The overall quality of a car is not really determined by where it is assembled...but rather the quality of the parts that go into it. The auto industry is a truly global industry where the parts come from all areas of the globe.

Poorer quality cars are a result of the cheapening of materials and parts overall.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
The overall quality of a car is not really determined by where it is assembled...but rather the quality of the parts that go into it. The auto industry is a truly global industry where the parts come from all areas of the globe.

Poorer quality cars are a result of the cheapening of materials and parts overall.
Well, you're right. But location does play a role on where those parts come from.

Certainly not nearly as much nowadays as back in the 70's lets say but yeah.

Just as an example a 1970's Russian assembled Fiat with Russian parts can still be seen plenty on the roads today despite those harsh climates and winters it has to endure...But an Italian assembly of the same vehicle is a rare thing these days...
Old 10-11-2014, 02:51 AM

Smyrna and Japan are not the only places Nissans are assembled. Nissan has a large assembly plant in Canton, Mississippi, just west of Jackson.

For those that may be curious, the Canton plant has assembled almost three million Nissans during the last eleven years.

Some of the Nissan vehicles assembled in Canton, MS:

Altima
Armada
Titan King Cab
Titan Crew Cab
Frontier King Cab
Frontier Crew Cab
Xterra
NV Cargo
NV Passenger
2014 Murano

Last edited by lightonthehill; 10-11-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:39 AM

^ Actually you make a good point. I just realized something thanks to your post....

Its not just about parts, its the people that have to install them when it comes to assembly..

And as much as I love Mississippi, I would say its clear to see how the Japanese plant was better.