General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Interesting article on the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Interesting article on the Maxima

Tell me what you guys think!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...san-maxima-sv/
Old 07-28-2013, 12:23 AM

I got to agree with the article. The Maxima looks nice, but not 34k nice. If I was to spend that much money, I would rather spend it on something else. They need to make the 8th gen real 4DSC and put a 6 speed manual transmission in there. Disclaimer: that is just my opinion.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by tosheto
I got to agree with the article. The Maxima looks nice, but not 34k nice. If I was to spend that much money, I would rather spend it on something else. They need to make the 8th gen real 4DSC and put a 6 speed manual transmission in there. Disclaimer: that is just my opinion.
I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE MAXIMA.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

Originally Posted by tosheto
you nailed it!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 PM

This is what confuses me about being a 6th gen owner. On the street everybody says they love it but in the media everybody says they hate it. The Article he called the 6th gen a fat pig.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-29-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 PM

6th gen is a boat. 7th gen is getting back to its roots
Old 07-29-2013, 02:49 AM

We'll see how long the 7th gens hold up with all the complaints right now about the head gaskets. Not wishing any bad luck because they're nice cars but still. He made some good points in the article.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-29-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
This is what confuses me about being a 6th gen owner. On the street everybody says they love it but in the media everybody says they hate it. The Article he called the 6th gen a fat pig. Then I go Wal Mart and I hear 4 or 5 times a day omg I love your Maxima I always wanted that bodystyle its my favorite out of all of them.
Ummm, why are you at Walmart "4 or 5 times a day?" BTW, it's actually one word chief. It's as if I called you Ch ris.

Not wishing any bad luck because their nice cars but still. He made some good points in the article
Never mind, you work THEIR.

Come on Ch ris, you're killing me smalls. I'm headed to grad school next year and showing the world Texans can talk normal talk, then you go and do this. Dam man...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 AM

lmao boy you need a tv show I know you rehearsed that.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-29-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 AM

lmao boy you need a tv show I know you rehearsed that. Nah seriously I was using a mobile device so bare with me. I'm glad you said something though I fixed it.
No rehearsal. Actual education!

Fixed? Atta boy!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM

Thanks for your responses to the article posted above. The author made a statement that the 7th generation Maxima has failed to make an impression. He also said it has no more to offer than looks does that seem a bit harsh or does anybody agree with that?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanks for your responses to the article posted above. The author made a statement that the 7th generation Maxima has failed to make an impression. He also said it has no more to offer than looks does that seem a bit harsh or does anybody agree with that?
Well done!

I disagree. I think that for several years and generations the Maxima has brought a certain level of everything a consumer could want. For instance, I remember when I was in HS and looking for my first car. I narrowed it down to a Maxima and a 5.0 Mustang. And that was in HS!

Now fast forward to my 30's - If you think about what they bring to the table, it would be hard to say they "fail" at anything. I mean that's just my opinion, but I think they are great cars. I guess if you were going to critique something, it could be the price. But overall, what car out there can you find the style, speed, reliability, comfort, mileage and options of a Maxima? And I'm an American muscle car kind of guy.

I think they are one of the better all around cars available in the previous price ranges. The 34k tag is a bit steep imo.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM

Oh yeah I know what you mean even though the Maxima has its critics you still get more car for the money. Just been a bit of a decline in quality since 2002 the 3 factors being:
1 Shift of production from Japan to the U.S
2 the CEO Carlos Ghosn as of 2000
3 The Altima keeps growing

the 6th and 7ths have recieved more criticism then any generations of the Maxima. He stated in the Article that the 6th got too big I dont think it was really the size it was just the lack of sport. For the 7th gen Nissan made it sporty but its just not doing it everybody is anxious for a redesign. I drove 7th and I thought it was quite nice. The decline in quality its not just in the Maxima its in other products in Nissan. It's not really a problem with the Maxima its the brand. That has to be fixed before alot of attention goes into focusing on the Maxima. A new CEO is suppose to be coming in 2016-2017 and I think that is when things will start to turn around.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-29-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM

I agree with the statement on the article, however, when the 7th Gen came out, I was excited when i saw the design in print, til I saw in person, I was fairly disappointed on a lot of factors, the interior is nice, but seem significantly smaller than what you get in the Altima espeically in the rear and limited leg room. Secondly, when I look at the rear end more, it looks ugly almost like it was designed by the French car company, secondly the shoulder line from the rear flowing down to the front doesn't look very synomous and clean. Last thing was still using CVT tranny, which is a let down gives that Rubberband power, it would been nice for a change to bring back the manual tranny. However, when the 8th gen comes out, I will remain skeptical what they say to deliver on their "promise" to bring back the "sportiness" that was once a 4DSC. I am holding out on that, since the new Altima is far indeed best looking and loving it too that I don't want to end up buying it now, and if and when the Maxima comes out and better than the Atlima I would be sorely disappointed and stuck with the Altima paying on it. LOL
Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 PM

This is what confuses me about being a 6th gen owner. On the street everybody says they love it but in the media everybody says they hate it. The Article he called the 6th gen a fat pig.
what streets are you hanging out on? The 6gen is the red headed stepchild of Maximas
Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM

His white one is pretty clean though. I like it.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:06 PM

TexasTex Thanks dude yours is nice too I want a 3rd gen in Black on the side, I want to fix it up like this below. He said the red-headed stepchild he's speaking off hearsay not to say that out of disrespect. They have flaws like any other car but you really have to own one. It can't be too bad if a Basketball player offered to buy it from me.
Name:  2104730001_large1_zps1dd01130.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  52.6 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 08-01-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM

Oh yeah I know what you mean even though the Maxima has its critics you still get more car for the money. Just been a bit of a decline in quality since 2002 the 3 factors being:
2 the CEO Carlos Ghosn as of 2000
Are you insane? Nissan was losing millions a year and he stepped in and made the company profitable again and brought back the GTR. He has done an amazing job
Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM

The GTR is good but what about the rest of the product line? Did he forget about the Xterra,the Armada,the Titan the Maxima? Both the Xterra and the Armada, Titan haven't had a change since 05. Also the CVT problems with the 7th gen Maxima,The head gasket problems. A new CEO comes in and problems pop up in the brand that you didn't see before him. Maybe i'm missing something i dunno. Based on feedback from the forum that CVT isn't popular either.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 08-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 PM

TexasTex Thanks dude yours is nice too I want a 3rd gen in Black on the side, I want to fix it up like this below. He said the red-headed stepchild he's speaking off hearsay not to say that out of disrespect. They have flaws like any other car but you really have to own one. It can't be too bad if a Basketball player offered to buy it from me.
Thanks man. That black one you want is sharp for sure. I haven't heard of anything like that as far as the stepchild comment. Eh, I almost bought one. In fact I'd be driving one today of the guy would've come down $500.

As far as the CEO, I really have no clue. I've been an American muscle head since I was 15 or so. But I must say, Nissan feels like it has taken a dip in the past few years. Regardless, I think they make a fantastic product and I will continue to enjoy mine!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:57 PM

TexasTex What color were you gonna get? Soon as you buy it post a picture asap I wanna check out your ride. Yeah at the end of the day despite the small stuff Nissan still is a strong brand.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 PM

TexasTex What color were you gonna get? Soon as you buy it post a picture asap I wanna check out your ride. Yeah at the end of the day despite the small stuff Nissan still is a strong brand.
Sorry, I meant I was gonna buy one, but the guy wouldn't budge on price. It looked a lot like yours actually. However, I will be buying another for the wife when we get back to Texas next year.

I'm buying another Vette or more than likely a Terminator when we get back and the plan was for this car to be hers. I actually bought it for her but she refuses to learn to drive stick. At first I was like , but after realizing I love the Max, I decided to keep it as my daily driver so I can keep the new car in the garage! I'll just buy her another Maxima with an auto when we get back and Boom, problem solved and I win!!

Where in Texas are you btw?

Last edited by TexasTex; 08-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Alot of people get the 6th gens instead of taking the time to repair and troubleshoot they get rid of them you know what I mean? I bought mine and fixed it up. Yesterday It took me about a hour to wax it then clean the wheels. Then i'm gonna do like you go get another ride but one that rides up high like a Range Rover or a Lexus GX470. Maybe a Escalade or a Sequoia 06-07. I plan on making that for the weekends and drive the Max to work. What year is your Vette?

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 08-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 PM

Alot of people get the 6th gens instead of taking the time to repair and troubleshoot they get rid of them you know what I mean? I bought mine and fixed it up. Yesterday It took me about a hour to wax it then clean the wheels. Then i'm gonna do like you go get another ride but one that rides up high like a Range Rover or a Lexus GX470. I plan on making that for the weekends and drive the Max to work. What year is your Vette?
Nice, yea I'll be buying another truck for sure. Nothing special, just to pull my boat and haul stuff.

My Vette WAS an 07'. I had that and an 02' SS together. I had to sell them both (don't ever put your cars in you and your wife's or GF's name) after a rather rough split with my ex. I tried every angle to keep them and she ended up refusing every buyout option I gave her.

Eh, such is life. So I was quickly reduced to my ol' Thelma Lou (95' 2500 Chevy) and a I decided to take my side of the car and house money and put it away. I drove my truck and then got into UH here in Honolulu. So I sold EVERYTHING, put the rest in storage and my girl and I moved to Hawaii and there you go!

I am so tempted to buy another car here, but it's hard enough to park one yet alone two on this crazy little island. So I'll just wait until next year when I graduate and get back to Texas. Where are you in Texas?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 PM

Oh yeah don't put no car a womans name i'm 27 i'm not planning on getting married until at least when i'm 33 to 35. My plan is pay the Maxima off and the next car. Buy a house before I get into marriage. I'm out here in San Antonio If I go in the Air Force as a Officer I might buy a higher end truck. I had a wreck in a Silverado in June and it held up strong. It made me want to get a big body truck for a 2nd vehicle.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 PM

Oh yeah don't put no car a womans name i'm 27 i'm not planning on getting married until at least when i'm 33 to 35. My plan is pay the Maxima off and the next car. Buy a house before I get into marriage. I'm out here in San Antonio If I go in the Air Force as a Officer I might buy a higher end truck. I had a wreck in a Silverado in June and it held up strong. It made me want to get a big body truck for a 2nd vehicle.
Yea, well I was pretty stupid. I wasn't even married is the worst part. I was trying to help her credit and bla bla bla, I was an idiot.

That's awesome, I'm from Austin. Well, south of Austin actually, Driftwood area. Funny, my wife is from SA and we'll actually be there in the first week of Sept.

AF huh? Yea, that's a great branch. I served with a bunch of Fly Boys when I was stationed in Warner Robins, GA. Great group of guys.

So, you want to go through OCS huh? Are you in school?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Nah I wouldn't say you were stupid just in love trust me I know where you coming from. I graduated from Embry Riddle University and in the process of becoming a Airline Pilot, but the industry is bad and job security is not there so the Air Force gave me a choice to fly heavies. How long did you serve in the Army?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 PM

Nah I wouldn't say you were stupid just in love trust me I know where you coming from. I graduated from Embry Riddle University and in the process of becoming a Airline Pilot, but the industry is bad and job security is not there so the Air Force gave me a choice to fly heavies. How long did you serve in the Army?
I see. Not a bad field, hard to bust into, but solid if you can. No, I was in the Marine Corps for total of 8 years. I'm using my post 9/11 now at UH here in Hawaii. I'm a year away from graduating with my BS in Economics. I'm hoping to get into a decent law school sometime in the next few months. WE'LL SEE. I have a few friends that fly C-130's. Then one in Tucson that flies A-10's. Cool job.

They gave you the choice? Do you have any flying experience?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think that to make the Maxima stand out like it did in '89 you would have to make the new Maxima available with a turbocharger , say 10k more than the base model.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by RedSnap
I think that to make the Maxima stand out like it did in '89 you would have to make the new Maxima available with a turbocharger , say 10k more than the base model.
Just 10K more huh? Wow...
Old 09-23-2013, 08:39 PM

The turbocharger idea is nice I like your thinking alot of people would take that and pick your brains out for it but its not bad at all!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM

Bring back the manual transmission and I'll forgo getting a mortgage

@Chris Alexander - what is with those rims!

Last edited by george__; 09-23-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM

Haha the rims turn it a whole completely different car! on most cars you had aftermarket wheels and it makes everything worse on this one it made everything better the ride the handling the maintenance on tires.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Haha the rims turn it a whole completely different car! on most cars you had aftermarket wheels and it makes everything worse on this one it made everything better the ride the handling the maintenance on tires.
You made the car into bling mobile

chromeee
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM

The stock 17 inch wheels were too miniscule, funny thing about it is i've recieved more compliments from the older white crowd on the rims than anything, but hey the rims are no biggie just a little something. I looked at a second car saturday I want to buy this one fix it up the same way as my 6th. It's good to have two cars because you never know when something can happen. The 6th gen you never know when a problem might occur which is sad, but I don't wanna get rid of it. Just buy a newer car on the side just incase.
Name:  46533519-6401_zps391853dd1_zpsb31da056.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  64.3 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 09-23-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM

17 inch wheels too minuscule? Man, times have changed. I can't ever see myself going bigger than 17 inch for many reasons. To each their own though.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:54 PM

Heck yeah dude on the 6th gen Maxima's 17s are a bit small but not on other cars. The stock 17/18s on the 6th gens for some reason they wear out fast. Wear unevenly or the bearings go bad always something. Haven't had any issues with the bigger wheels.
http://2-photos.ebizautos.com/used-2...9294-2-640.jpg

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 09-23-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 PM

See, I think that ^^^^^ looks good. I didn't know about the issues though. That's weird.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 PM

On your 5th gen Max the stock wheels in my opinion are perfect. the weight is distributed evenly and I would imagine you don't have to go through tires very often. Now on your model Maxima bigger rims look a bit awkward. The 6th gens people around here will tell stories of uneven tire wear, frequent alignments,bearing problems. When I first bought the SL I had a real bad shimmy,uneven tire wear,and alignment issues. Before I bought the 22 inch wheels, I fixed those issues then bought new tires for my 17s but still had re-ocurring alignment and uneven wear problems. I put those big rims on and all of those issues disappeared knock on wood! With the big wheels i've had the same new tires I bought with the chrome wheels for almost three years and those things have alot of life left in them.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 09-23-2013 at 10:14 PM.