8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 PM

lightonthehill I will admit this back in high school days early 2000s I was so in love with the 5th gen when the 6th came out I hated them. Then my parents bought one and I got obsessed. The same thing happened with the 7th at first I hated them but then first I sat in a fully loaded SV and the seats felt cold and huggish like being a hugged by a 300 pound chick it was comfortable, and then the way that thing rides the 7ths what I like about them is they're quick on their feet and jumpy. Where as the 6th is a big slow luxury blvd cruiser.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM

I just hope they have a Nismo model that offers a manual.

RWD would be awesome but I doubt that'll ever happen with Infiniti taking the RWD lead on sedans.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 AM

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_nissa...uncertain.html

"Nissan says the 2014 Maxima will be available into the 2015 calendar year. With no details released regarding its flagship sedan beyond the current model year, we wouldn’t be surprised if the next-generation Maxima could debut in late 2015. The next Maxima will likely be influenced by the Nissan Sport Sedan concept."

I said this prior, this 8th gen will not appear until 2015 sometimes......
Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_nissa...uncertain.html

"Nissan says the 2014 Maxima will be available into the 2015 calendar year. With no details released regarding its flagship sedan beyond the current model year, we wouldn’t be surprised if the next-generation Maxima could debut in late 2015. The next Maxima will likely be influenced by the Nissan Sport Sedan concept."

I said this prior, this 8th gen will not appear until 2015 sometimes......
Odd that the article states it won't be out until late 2015 when I thought it was Nissans president that said it would be out late in 2014 and would very close to the sedan concept. I could see early 2015 but this article seems a little fishy and contradicts a lot of the info already out there. Hope it's not true.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by richmusch
Odd that the article states it won't be out until late 2015 when I thought it was Nissans president that said it would be out late in 2014 and would very close to the sedan concept. I could see early 2015 but this article seems a little fishy and contradicts a lot of the info already out there. Hope it's not true.
Here is another from another reputable source that claim they also spoke with nissan. http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ineup-updated/

2015 Nissan Maxima
The 2014 Maxima carries over into 2015 without any changes, as we’re expecting to see a redesigned 2016 Nissan Maxima to debut sometime during the 2014-2015 auto show season with styling inspired by the Sport Sedan concept at this year’s Detroit auto show.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz36vMs0B6r
Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 PM

Now this article says 2016 for the 8th gen

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ineup-updated/
Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 AM

Really, who are we to believe? There is so much speculation. It's quite aggravating.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM

There are literally no changes for the 2015 model, as per Nissan's website.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...ng-the-changes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dauntlessmax

I get the sense that the 7th gen is unexpectedly selling better than expected and they may have excess inventory so Nissan has decided to stretch out its last hurrah.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Propa Teknique I know right don't you feel my pain brotha we need a hit the 8th gen has got to pop up for 2015 so Maxima can get its big boost I think the 8th gen is gonna be the big shocker.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
I get the sense that the 7th gen is unexpectedly selling better than expected and they may have excess inventory so Nissan has decided to stretch out its last hurrah.
I'm thinking that they still have a bit of work to do to get the 8th gen up to production specs....I knew and said a while back no way that the 8th gen would go on sale in 2014 and bravo. Most 7th gen sales now are the few fleet sales that they have, I have noticed at my dealer he has had the same inventory for quite while and has recently added some 8k stickers off on most of them.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM

When you think about it I guess its better to wait and let them take their time so it will turn out to be a good car because rushed made the 6th gen a flip flop.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
When you think about it I guess its better to wait and let them take their time so it will turn out to be a good car
this
Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 AM

When you think about it I guess its better to wait and let them take their time so it will turn out to be a good car because rushed made the 6th gen a flip flop.
They more than likely still have a lot of work to do to get the 8th gen up to specs and they cannot afford to have another bad launch like the Q50 with very glitchy tech on board, which still has not been perfected.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 PM

A seven year run is something else... Something tells me the 8th gen will have some stand-out feature for its segment. I'm thinking DAS, Intelligent Cruise Control, at least one of the Q50's badass features.

Either that, or they're still trying figuring out how to market this thing. They want the Maxima to be a true Sports Sedan but still want to market it towards a more mature crowd.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 PM

MONTE 01&97 SE The Q50 is having problems? I heard those were nice.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
I'm thinking that they still have a bit of work to do to get the 8th gen up to production specs.

I agree completely.

When I glimpsed Nissan's Sport Sedan Concept that first appeared on the internet last August, I thought it was a really radically styled vehicle. I was immediately excited.

But eleven months of studying views from all angles of that Sport Sedan Concept leaves me wondering how they will be able to translate that very radical concept to a vehicle that would survive on the decrepid roadways we now have across the country.

The ground clearance must be raised from the concept version. Will the fenders be able to actually slightly circle in (enclose) around the bottom half of the tires like they do in the concept? I don't think so, as the tires must have freedom to move up and down vertically as we fly across dips and bumps. Having a good turning circle (must be under 40 feet) may be tricky with the way those tall tires fill the wheel wells. Those double panel roofs can be very difficult to get right, and the 8th gen roof must be completely redesigned from the 7th gen.

And that list does not include the redesigned CVT, which was having problems in the 3.5 Altima. I am sure the 8th gen Maxima will have most of the latest driving aids such as lane departure warnings, cameras that show everything around the car, distance-sensitive speed control, and probably both front seats individually air conditioned. And those probably only scratch the surface.

This will be Nissan's flagship, and Nissan knows it must be right.

I noticed that the release of the changes for each Nissan 2015 model listed enhancements for each vehicle, even for those not having a new generation arrive. But the Maxima listed NO new enhancements, saying only that the same 2014 Maxima would CONTINUE INTO (NOT THROUGH) the 2015 model year.

THAT TELLS US WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW.

The last three times Nissan used similar wording for the Maxima (model years prior to gens 5, 6 and 7), the new generation arrived the FIRST HALF of the following year, labeled as the NEXT YEAR'S model. Unless something changes, the 8th gen will arrive between March and June of 2015 as the 2016 Maxima.

If that is true, Nissan will be showing the 2016 Maxima at this winter's auto shows, and the excitement will be building as Nissan begins advertising the 8th gen leading up to the official release.

I have bought the first model year of Maxima generations #2 through #7, and have always gotten a very reliable vehicle. I will be doing that again next spring. I am very excited about this 8th gen.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 AM

MONTE 01&97 SE The Q50 is having problems? I heard those were nice.
With the tech on board in the center stack, lots of glitches in the hardware/software that causes it to flicker, shut off unexpectedly etc etc. They have had several updates but all have not been successful
Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 AM

The good thing about the upcoming Maxima from the concept version Nissan seems to have a perfect balance between sport and luxury. It's already getting good publicity.

http://motoringcrunch.com/news/2015-...igns/10019828/

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-10-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Ummmm. 'Serious competitor for the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord'?

I was hoping for 'serious competitor for several near-luxury upscale sporty sedans', or something like that. The 8th gen Maxima MUST be more than 'competitor for the Camry and Accord', especially with its top-of-the-line option packages, which will run the MSRP into the lower $40K range.

The NISMO version of the 8th gen (and I feel we will have a NISMO version with this very special version, although maybe not at first), could have an MSRP between $45K and $48K, but could well be worth it. But it is possible there could be a manual NISMO version without all the luxury features, bells and whistles, etc, available with an MSRP between $35K and $39K.

We will just have to wait until this winter when Nissan springs the official 8th gen at one of the auto shows. I know there will be one on display at the Atlanta Auto Show next March, and I will buy my ticket and spend at least four hours simply circling the 8th gen Maxima, scrutinizing it from every possible angle, planning my usual exterior molding, tweaks and add-ons. Life is good!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:36 PM

lightonthehill that's just speculation Maxima is way more than an Accord or Camry our cars feel way more substantial than either of those at their top XLE and EXL trims.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-10-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

I agree, that is just ridiculous. That website lost all credibility with that ignorant statement. The Altima has always competed with the Camry and Accord, but you don't see many Maxima enthusiasts walking the Toyota and Honda lots.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Max2013
I agree, that is just ridiculous. That website lost all credibility with that ignorant statement. The Altima has always competed with the Camry and Accord, but you don't see many Maxima enthusiasts walking the Toyota and Honda lots.
True! I don't know anyone who owns a Maxima or even an Altima that would want to go on one of those lots.

I just hope this new Maxima shuts up lots of naysayers! Does anyone know new updates about it?
Old 07-19-2014, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
True! I don't know anyone who owns a Maxima or even an Altima that would want to go on one of those lots.

I just hope this new Maxima shuts up lots of naysayers! Does anyone know new updates about it?

Nissan has always been very good at keeping new Maxima generations undercover until THEY decide to reveal things. But this is one generation change where anyone keeping up closely with the Maxima can pretty much know what is coming.

The concept sporty sedan that appeared last August, and was presented at the Detroit Auto Show in December, gives us the general styling, and we know the upscale versions of the 8th gen Maxima will have all the modern electronics and safety features now available on upscale cars.

I will be opting for the premium package (or whatever it may be called on the 8th gen) because I must have a heated steering wheel for my ancient, gnarley hands, love the double-panel roof, rear window screen, leather, deluxe Bose, heated outside mirrors with directional signals and reverse tilt-down, HID headlamps, etc.

My big decision will be color choice. In this middle Georgia climate, the only current exterior colors I would consider are white or silver, and the interior color must also be light.

If the exterior silver is still only available with charcoal interior on the 8th gen, then my exterior color will again be white, and my interior color will again be cafe latte. I don't know why the exterior silver color cannot be had with a gray/silver interior. I have had that combo on several Maximas in the past.

I expect the molds, stamping machines, tools, etc required to build the 8th gen Maxima are either already in place, or nearly so. There is a lead time necessary in order to have early versions of the new generation ready for road testing in California, Phoenix and Nashville (camoflaged, of course), and for display at auto shows.

I expect Nissan will be building maybe a dozen 8th gens a day in January, in order to do a lot of final testing before full production begins, probably in February. Depending on how things go, Nissan might have several thousand 8th gens (necessary in order to have a selection at most dealers) accumulated in storage on the back lot in Smyrna by either April or May, and a release date will then be determined, which will probably be in May or June.

At my age, I worry that I may be gone on to the happy hunting ground before the 8th gen arrives. Of course the wait does not seem long to folks my age, as time really flies when we get very old.

We can be assured that we will begin seeing spy photos later this year. Of course most of those early '8th gen spy' photos will actually be the Australian or Japanese or Chinese or European versions of older generation Maximas. We ALWAYS get lots of those here on the ORG.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by dauntlessmax

There won't be a 2015 model. 2014 is enjoying an extended year, so the 7th gen will be for sale in 2015 as a 2014 model.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM

lol! they said that with a straight face!

But it is possible there could be a manual NISMO version without all the luxury features, bells and whistles, etc, available with an MSRP between $35K and $39K.
take a page from Hyundai R-spec?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique

I own a maxima and a 2013 v6 6mt accord....point disproven.

Last edited by LA02MAX; 07-22-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
WHAT?!!?! A manual tranny option on their V6 model is still available? That 6mt V6 honda would get a HELL YES from me!
I thought manual tranny's had gone bye bye on V6 models from all manufacturers.

I love Nissans but with no manual? OK bye for now. CVT is not for me
Old 07-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Well I redact my previous statement and put this one in its place. "I only know of one person that owns a Maxima and would venture onto one of the other lots."
Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 PM

7th Gen Ending

Just saw an article on yahoo that includes cars not coming back for 2015 and those with a hold on them. There is mention of the Maxima and this clause:

Nissan Maxima

The Maxima's in a holding pattern from 2014. Nissan has shown a concept sedan at auto shows, but says only that it will have enough '14s on hand until it launches a new version early next year.

Link to the article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In...e-gone-in-2015

Soon, we should be seeing a future vehicle on their website.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Just saw an article on yahoo that includes cars not coming back for 2015 and those with a hold on them. There is mention of the Maxima and this clause:

Nissan Maxima

The Maxima's in a holding pattern from 2014. Nissan has shown a concept sedan at auto shows, but says only that it will have enough '14s on hand until it launches a new version early next year.

Link to the article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In...e-gone-in-2015

Soon, we should be seeing a future vehicle on their website.

Not as soon as we might like. Nissan does everything in measured steps.

In either December or January (depending on which auto show Nissan decides to use), the first public presentation of the 8th generation Maxima will take place. It will have a strong similarity to the Nissan sport sedan concept first displayed on the web in August of 2013, then presented at the Detroit Auto Show in December of 2013, but will have noticable differences.

By late January, Nissan will be producing a dozen or so 8th gens each day on their Smyrna assembly line. Many of these will be used to complete the testing that will have begun this fall with camoflaged early versions of 8th gens in Los Angeles, Phoenix and Nashville.

By middle February, unless testing reveals needed fixes that require time to implement, Nissan will ramp up production of 8th gen Maximas to over a hundred per day, and begin building a large stockpile of them on one of their restricted back lots in Smyrna.

But there are a LOT of Nissan dealers. There are 28 Nissan dealers within a ninety minute drive of my home. So a large stockpile of 8th gens will be necessary in order to stock all dealers by official intro time. Heavy Nissan advertising of the 8th gen Maxima will probably begin in early spring. The official release date will surely be between March and July, but I am confident it will be between April and June.

Nissan usually leaves the specs of the current Maxima on their website until the official release date of the new generation. But there will be lots of coverage online by auto e-mags, so we will know a lot about the new Maxima before Nissan posts the full specs online.

That seems like a long way off, but time passes quickly, especially for octogenarians such as me, and we will be test driving the 8th gens in less than a year. In fact, some of us will OWN 8th gen Maximas by this time next year.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 AM

2015 nissan lineup update

According to this site it looks like we're gonna have to wait until 2016 for the 8th gen Maxima.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ottom#cxrecs_s
Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 AM

We've known that for quite awhile now. It will likely be an early release between March and June.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:00 AM

I doubt they'll bring back the 6MT Max unless they offer it in a special Nismo/street race model. They want people to buy the Fair Lady Z or GTR Skyline. The new Altima looks really good, I like the changes they made to the headlights/fenders & quarter panels. I'm sure sales would increase from previous years with a 6MT SE edition in the Maxima package lineup. People are still searching out 5.5gens w/low mileage and well kept 6MT package.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM

gizzsdad Nissan is behind Kia these days it seems. Nissan You got the 7th gen Maxima been out since 09 the Armada Xterra same thing since 04 well see what happens but 2015 would have been perfect for the 8th gen i'm assuming and hoping they're taking the time to put out a well built car for the 8th gen max if so I think its worth the wait.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:06 PM

gizzsdad Nissan is behind Kia these days it seems. Nissan You got the 7th gen Maxima been out since 09 the Armada Xterra same thing since 04 well see what happens but 2015 would have been perfect for the 8th gen i'm assuming and hoping they're taking the time to put out a well built car for the 8th gen max if so I think its worth the wait.
Kia as a whole has overtaken some Nissan models for glitz, and a few Kia models have better reliability than a few Nissan models. But Kia has not passed the 7th gen Maxima for styling or build quality at a Maxima price.

Had the new stronger Nissan CVT, intended to give the Maxima better time off the line and better performance at speeds above posted limits, had not had failures during its intro in the new Altima and Pathfinder, we would already have the 8th gen Maxima. Far better to wait and get it right.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 PM

lightonthehill Yeah the 7th gen nothing on the road has that beat on looks Nissan has always excelled in that area with their lineups but these products need more polish the Armada Xterra being out for 10 yrs with no changes is sad. For 2015 if you're gonna keep the Armada on the same platform at least give it a V6. The Maxima far as that goes the 7th gen is a superior car inside and out when you get behind the wheel of one from my experience one of those things its magic on wheels but the Maxima needs a little more spunk than what's current for some reason this is not cutting it.

the 7th gens I try to avoid them at all costs because with time i'm starting to love them I sat in one at the dealership and my heart started pounding it was an instant bond!

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 08-27-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM

New Maxima

As of today 28 Aug 2014 I saw these news

http://airherald.com/2015-nissan-max...in-class/7885/

Says AWD!!!!! Read ahead and see.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM

river57 yeah I saw that earlier man i'm ready!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:17 PM

I'm not holding my breath. RWD and AWD sedans are Infiniti vehicles. I will be surprised if Nissan designs the drive train of the 8th gen Maxima to compete with their Infiniti line.

I am always suspicious of articles written by folks in or from the Middle East, as those people are enamoured with the Maxima, and have been announcing RWD and AWD Maximas for over a decade.

Quick Reply: The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more