General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

VQ35 DeLorean!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:39 PM

VQ35 DeLorean!!

Not a Maxima, but it's got a VQ35, and, well, it's a freakin DeLorean. Figured I'd share.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:44 PM

Do you have any more pictures?? That is by far the coolest thing I've seen all day! Finally a reliable and relatively fast Delorean! I'd roll that in a heartbeat!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Needs more LSx
Old 06-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Yes more pics please...
Old 06-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Needs more LSx
uppet:
Old 06-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Is that a Kinetix I spy?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:02 PM

Couldn't find anymore pictures, but I found a couple videos of it. Apparently, it's supercharged, and uses a Porsche 915 transmission.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:10 PM

Q

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
uppet:
LSx>VQ35
Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Nice..
Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by dfj240
Couldn't find anymore pictures, but I found a couple videos of it. Apparently, it's supercharged, and uses a Porsche 915 transmission.

A 915 transmission? Those were used in the older 911's from 78-86 and can't handle that kind of power. The Getrag G50, which is much better would have been a wiser choice. It was used from 87 up to I believe 93 before it was replaced with a 6 speed when the 993 came out in 94.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:23 PM

LSx>VQ35
Not in this case. Too much weight and that engine bay is already as cramped as it is.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 PM

He's a member here. User name is MarcL.
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...org-tilly.html

Last edited by asand1; 07-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

Needs more LSx
oh lord!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Not in this case. Too much weight and that engine bay is already as cramped as it is.
Im pretty positive that an LSx is more compact than a VQ35
LSx on the left, VQ35 on the right
Name:  IMG_0277JPGresize.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  32.6 KB

VQ35--- ~330lbs
LS1--- ~380lbs
Not a huge weight difference there. Youre argument would be more valid if there was a 300lb difference.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 AM

Blew up the engine earlier this year. I have been shopping for a new one, but not having much luck. Junkyard engines are either too expensive, or mileage is high.. And none of the "speed shops" return my emails when asking about buying a rebuild. I have a lot invested in the VQ setup, but I sometimes wonder if sticking with it is putting in more good after bad..

Also, the LS1 conversion has already been done..

Guy did it as a school project. I have seen it in person, very nice job on it.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM

nice car id stick with the vq3.5 just cause im biased lol but also cause its a good engine
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM

VQ is a good engine? I have 4 large boat anchors in my garage that say otherwise.

I am not against sticking with the VQ, if I could find one!! or, a decent speed shop that will return my emails.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by MarcL
VQ is a good engine? I have 4 large boat anchors in my garage that say otherwise.

I am not against sticking with the VQ, if I could find one!! or, a decent speed shop that will return my emails.
What are you going to go with?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM

What happened to those 4 engines?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM

Why not a VQ30?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 PM

What are you going to go with?
Reality is, I will probably end up with another VQ. The cost to do another conversion to an alternative engine would be too much money and effort.

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
What happened to those 4 engines?
1st one started blowing smoke. Probably a broken ring.
2nd one lost oil pressure
3rd one was DOA, had no oil pressure
4th one was DOA, had no compression in 2 cylinders.

Engine #2 and #4 have been scrapped already. Engine 1 and 3 are still in the shop, I tried to sell #3 for parts to try and recoup some money, but no one was interested. I may use #1 as a core, if I decide to do a rebuild.

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Why not a VQ30?
I imagine a VQ30 would be less power, older engine will have higher miles on it. Having a speed shop do a performance rebuild for me does not seem to be in the cards because NONE of them will take me seriously. I have sent a number of builders emails asking for details and prices, and most do not respond. One told me I have to call them (making me wonder why they have an email address, and web site... Why can't I get the information by email?!)

If I am going to rebuild it myself, I might as well use the VQ35 I already own.

I got a recent inquiry from a magazine to do an article on my car, so I need to make a decision and move on it soon..
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 PM

o wow im suprised and i feel bad you went through sooo many engines honestly i am very suprised by this
Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The LSX is about the same weight as the VQ35 and its physically a smaller motor in most ways.

Transaxle options are limited though

I have worked with both engines as you can see from my sig and every idiot on the net likes to say the ls1 ruins the weight balance of my RX7. The entire engine is aluminum alloy with a plastic composite intake... its light

Last edited by sciff5; 09-30-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
I have worked with both engines as you can see from my sig and every idiot on the net likes to say the ls1 ruins the weight balance of my RX7. The entire engine is aluminum alloy with a plastic composite intake... its light
It's light, but it's not rotary light. A 13B by itself (shortblock) is around 140 pounds. I've picked up and carried a few a short distance a time or two. So i'm going to be one of those idiots on the net and say that you did ruin the weight balance of your RX7 But if you're using it for drag racing then it won't really matter much.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 AM

It's light, but it's not rotary light. A 13B by itself (shortblock) is around 140 pounds. I've picked up and carried a few a short distance a time or two. So i'm going to be one of those idiots on the net and say that you did ruin the weight balance of your RX7 But if you're using it for drag racing then it won't really matter much.
It is rotary light!
Not that the weight of the shortblock matters because shortblocks don't run cars, complete motors do and the ls1 is as light. An ls1 shortblock is right around that 150lb mark as well but more importantly the entire engine assembled is lighter than an equivalent output 13b motor

http://www.ponycars.net/rx7.htm (take a look 3/4s of the way down for corner weights against a stock Rx7)
Weights would be even more in the LS1's favor if you added a larger turbo/intercooler ect.

So for similar power output... yes the LS1 is just as light, its just the big t56 that adds the extra 50 lbs and its in the bottom, middle of the car. If you really wanted to be **** you could replace the t56 with something lighter and not gain any weight from the conversion.

There's nothing good in practice about the rotary engine. We already created a high output high revving engine that runs like **** and burns oil years ago and it too has been phased out. It's called a 2 stroke.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Reality is, I will probably end up with another VQ. The cost to do another conversion to an alternative engine would be too much money and effort.

1st one started blowing smoke. Probably a broken ring.
2nd one lost oil pressure
3rd one was DOA, had no oil pressure
4th one was DOA, had no compression in 2 cylinders.

Engine #2 and #4 have been scrapped already. Engine 1 and 3 are still in the shop, I tried to sell #3 for parts to try and recoup some money, but no one was interested. I may use #1 as a core, if I decide to do a rebuild.

I imagine a VQ30 would be less power, older engine will have higher miles on it. Having a speed shop do a performance rebuild for me does not seem to be in the cards because NONE of them will take me seriously. I have sent a number of builders emails asking for details and prices, and most do not respond. One told me I have to call them (making me wonder why they have an email address, and web site... Why can't I get the information by email?!)

If I am going to rebuild it myself, I might as well use the VQ35 I already own.

I got a recent inquiry from a magazine to do an article on my car, so I need to make a decision and move on it soon..
You can't expect american muscle guys to know about the VQ. No replacement for displacement as they like to say; except technology. You'd be better off having a forum member build or help build your engine. A stock VQ30 can handle a good amount of power but tuning is very important to it's survival. You can turn it into a monster too if you want. I've been planing on doing this at home using some upgraded factory parts along with aftermarket parts; Aftermarket pistons and rods, aftermarket cams, port and polish, nissan gtr vq I mean vr38 titanium valve springs, factory vq high rev oil pump to sustain the revs, and a cheap/junkyard/truck turbo with nitrous to make up for the dead spots. Secondary fuel system consisting of fuel cell in trunk with race gas only used on boost, methanol injection, computer(s) to control all of that, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a thing here and there like a beefier block girdle. Just throwing out ideas. Here's an example of what a stock vq30 can do and this is old: http://www.dynomagic.com/thefast_hlh.htm
So far for my internally stock vq30 I've acquired a variable intake, svt cobra injectors, V1 supercharger, full exhaust, nitrous, closet thing to a standalone that I could find for tuning emanage ultimate, and a few other misc. parts like the walbro 255HP. I still need to work on a water to air intecooler and methanol injection. I could go on for days... Oh btw check out the J&S safeguard, pathfinder cooling upgrade http://vq35.com/blog/2010/07/go-with...ooling-system/ , oil cooling info http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...l/viewall.html VQ = poor mans LS from NJ.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM

I am not sure how a VQ30 is better than a VQ35, if you need to do all that work to it anyway. Why not just start with bigger/newer.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM

I am not sure how a VQ30 is better than a VQ35, if you need to do all that work to it anyway. Why not just start with bigger/newer.
I thought I was just trying to help a fellow gearhead. Well then in that case why put a old motor into an even older car like you're doing? You just screwed yourself, keep an open mind. I never said the VQ30 is better than the VQ35. I was just saying that when boosting a stock VQ the 3.0 is stronger which everyone knows. But like you said if you're going to build it then start with a bigger/newer VQ from the gtr, you just did it to yourself again. I can't wait to see your face when old man tan fly's past you with a stock motor that's older and has more miles than anything you've seen and costs pennies compared to your performance builder engine. Now I know why the engine builders didn't take you seriously. I can't believe I wasted my time trying to help you. Enjoy YO' self. What I'm really curious about and who I really wanted to talk to was the person that put that VQ35 in the car because from the sounds of it you don't do anything but pay other people to do the work for you.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Not sure if you are being serious, sarcastic, or just a troll.

Being "practical" is not mutually exclusive to being a "gear head". My goals for this project may not be what you thought. I never was looking to build a "monster". I also don't understand why you are being so hostile because of a simple question. If you have a legitimate reason to state that building a VQ30 is somehow better (practical) than a VQ35, you could have an intelligent, and adult discussion about it.

Old man tan is not my problem. I built this car for me, not anyone else.

Maybe you have your own equipment to balance engines, but I don't. If that makes me "pay other people to do the work", so be it.. Not practical to buy all those tools just to say I did it myself.

You are talking to the person that put a VQ35 in a DeLorean, sorry if you are disappointed, but it was never my goal to impress some random stranger on the internet.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
You can't expect american muscle guys to know about the VQ. No replacement for displacement as they like to say; except technology. You'd be better off having a forum member build or help build your engine. A stock VQ30 can handle a good amount of power but tuning is very important to it's survival. You can turn it into a monster too if you want. I've been planing on doing this at home using some upgraded factory parts along with aftermarket parts; Aftermarket pistons and rods, aftermarket cams, port and polish, nissan gtr vq I mean vr38 titanium valve springs, factory vq high rev oil pump to sustain the revs, and a cheap/junkyard/truck turbo with nitrous to make up for the dead spots. Secondary fuel system consisting of fuel cell in trunk with race gas only used on boost, methanol injection, computer(s) to control all of that, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a thing here and there like a beefier block girdle. Just throwing out ideas. Here's an example of what a stock vq30 can do and this is old: http://www.dynomagic.com/thefast_hlh.htm
So far for my internally stock vq30 I've acquired a variable intake, svt cobra injectors, V1 supercharger, full exhaust, nitrous, closet thing to a standalone that I could find for tuning emanage ultimate, and a few other misc. parts like the walbro 255HP. I still need to work on a water to air intecooler and methanol injection. I could go on for days... Oh btw check out the J&S safeguard, pathfinder cooling upgrade http://vq35.com/blog/2010/07/go-with...ooling-system/ , oil cooling info http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...l/viewall.html VQ = poor mans LS from NJ.

What a complete waste of time... you would spend way more than just a standard ls1 getting that running right
You can buy a full pullout ls1 for $1500 that puts down 300+ whp stock.

If you didn't care about adding around 90lbs you could get a Ls based truck 5.3 for 500$ or less for a complete engine including wiring harness and all accessories and still get 300whp with just exhaust and an ls6 intake ($300)

Theres no such thing as a poormans LS. Lsxs are probably the single best platform out there to make cheap power.

Stock 5.3L truck motors (the $500 variety found in any parts yard in the country) have pushed cars into the 8s when turbocharged (all with stock parts, including stock exhaust manifolds, other than valvesprings) and made 800+whp

One Example, and this car doesn't have the record any more

I don't think anything this side of 50k has gone that fast with a vq30 or vq35.

Or you could build a super JDM mad tyte vq30 with a v1 blower... your choice
Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM

LOL, a Nissan Motor in a Stainless steel car of the yore, guess back to the future is coming around your corner
Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 PM

BTW I do think the vq35 delorean is pretty cool. It's a good fit for the car unless you want it to go fast, which the deloreans never did...

If you want it to haul *** I would chose a different motor, but for a nice drivers car a vq35 is fine. No reason to go with less displacement in a vq30.. vq35s are pretty cheap as is
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM

As I said before, the LS1 conversion has been done (it was completed after mine), and although it is a sweet conversion, the person who did it had to make significant modifications for it to fit. The transmission had to be moved forward, and even then the rear fascia of the car was cut to accommodate the front of the engine.

With that said, if I had to do it over again, I may very well go with a different engine. However, I first did the swap in 2005 and all things considered I am proud of what I accomplished and do not need anyone else to approve of it. I knew nothing about the VQ engine before doing this project. I researched a number of engines, and made an informed decision at the time. It may not have been the best, but I will never know "what if".

Changing engine platforms now has crossed my mind, but it would be starting from scratch. I have an awful lot of time and money in this project, and it would be a difficult decision to just throw that all away... And then what, 5 years from now when there is some BETTER engine sitting in a junk yard for $1500? I am sure someone will say "you could have" or "you should have".

Tell you what, someone wants to sponsor the project, I will put whatever you want in there. This is not some off-the-shelf kit I bought.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM

As I said before, the LS1 conversion has been done (it was completed after mine), and although it is a sweet conversion, the person who did it had to make significant modifications for it to fit. The transmission had to be moved forward, and even then the rear fascia of the car was cut to accommodate the front of the engine.

With that said, if I had to do it over again, I may very well go with a different engine. However, I first did the swap in 2005 and all things considered I am proud of what I accomplished and do not need anyone else to approve of it. I knew nothing about the VQ engine before doing this project. I researched a number of engines, and made an informed decision at the time. It may not have been the best, but I will never know "what if".

Changing engine platforms now has crossed my mind, but it would be starting from scratch. I have an awful lot of time and money in this project, and it would be a difficult decision to just throw that all away... And then what, 5 years from now when there is some BETTER engine sitting in a junk yard for $1500? I am sure someone will say "you could have" or "you should have".

Tell you what, someone wants to sponsor the project, I will put whatever you want in there. This is not some off-the-shelf kit I bought.
I hear that. You got it done that;s what matters, and it puts you LIGHT YEARS ahead of most.

I'm just correcting the idiots.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM

Thank you.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Galactica
Do you have any more pictures??
He couldn't get any more pics once the DeLorean hit 88 mph
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anything is better than the original engine in a Delorean! A Nissan engine and the Delorean chassis design would be a nice combination!