General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pulled over Exclusively for Tint??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Pulled over Exclusively for Tint??

So i went in to get my windows tinted (or rather, my dad did since i was at senior week
But anyways, i was expecting to get 35% front, 20% Rear. When my dad went in they didnt have any 20% film, and the difference from 35 - 15 was too much of a contrast, so he got 15% all around.

Pics Related (at End)

So i'm somewhat worried about getting pulled over and having it removed (tint cost $210), and i was wondering if anyone on here has ever been pulled over for their tint only. Im not talking about going 15+ over and also having to remove tint, im talking about driving speed limit and following all road rules, and still getting pulled over for tint

- Is it a secondary offense in all states? Because it is in maryland

Thanks for any/all feedback!

Pics -

Last edited by 99MaxLoaded; 06-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Somewhere around here is a state by state chart of allowable tint percentages and what-not... that might tell you.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:23 PM

I know that the legal tint percentage here is 35%, but thats just not dark enough to be worth the cost :/
Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Legal limit is 35% in most states but it all depends on how your car looks visually. What I call a bounty level. If your car is modded up for eg. lowered, rims, bodykit, sound system, headlights and other things that would make a cop want to check you out chances are you will get that ticket.

Now on the other hand if your car is simple you might get away for a very long time unless you get that cop at the end of the month who's just trying to make their quota. I seen cars with dark tints and coloured license plate cover which are both illegal get away but as soon as you have a modded up car you'll get drawn. I'd replace the front with 35% to be on the safe side.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:04 PM

Nobody can answer that question. Here in ATL the cops dont sweat even blackout tint but when I travel into the suburbs they always pull me over. I had to remove mine completely just because I hated getting pulled over. Even at 35% a cop doesnt see it and say "oh ok thats 35% Ill leave him alone". No, if it looks dark he will pull you over. Just hope cops dont care in your area
Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Damn that sucks, bout to get mine redone 5% in the rears 20% in the front...

Last edited by Rods03Max619; 06-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Here in Florida they can do that. Front is 25% (huh?) and rear is 15%. I had 15% all around because I didn't like the look of 30% tint, and a few months later I got pulled over, at night, by a rookie cop fresh out of the academy. I got a $100 ticket (non-moving violation so no points) for the tint being too dark on the front. When he scanned it, it pulled up 12% on the front and rear, since the glass itself also blocks a couple % of light. The rear was right at the border margin of error limit.

So, the young rookie gave me this whole speech, blah blah, checked out my car for other "illegal modifications" (which there were none) and three other police cars during this time also showed up and parked around me in a "block him in" formation.

As much as I dislike 30%, I had the front windows changed from the 15% to the 30%.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
if your car is simple you might get away for a very long time unless you get that cop at the end of the month who's just trying to make their quota.
Didn't they do away with quotas? I'm pretty sure they stopped giving cops quotas, b/c they were intentionally giving out more tickets/violations

not that that's stopped everywhere -_-
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM

Ive been pulled over for it, luckily I can legally paint my windows black
Old 06-15-2012, 08:31 PM

Been pulled over here in Jersey so much I can't even keep record but most time they let me go I have 5% all around. I roll my window down when I see the cops or keep em down most time when I drive local. Most time they will just say to roll your window down if you see them.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Florida is 25R 15F and thats what I have and I still get pulled over. Partly because of the neighborhood Im in and what goes on in it. But I have a lot of friends who are officers ( I work at the state attrn office) and they say if it looks dark they will pull you over. Not because they want to waste their time giving you a non moving violation, but because they want to search your car and it is a good excuse to do so.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by hornepirate
Florida is 25R 15F and thats what I have and I still get pulled over. Partly because of the neighborhood Im in and what goes on in it. But I have a lot of friends who are officers ( I work at the state attrn office) and they say if it looks dark they will pull you over. Not because they want to waste their time giving you a non moving violation, but because they want to search your car and it is a good excuse to do so.
Yup, that "probable cause" b.s.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by hornepirate
"I'm sorry officer, I don't condone to searches unless you have a warrant".
Old 06-16-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AznRyan
Didn't they do away with quotas? I'm pretty sure they stopped giving cops quotas, b/c they were intentionally giving out more tickets/violations

not that that's stopped everywhere -_-
Not sure about other states, but here in AZ, they have incentives for more traffic tickets.

Anyways, I have 15% all around my car (legal 35%). Never had a problem! Cops have pulled me over and said nothing of it. On my other Max, I had 20% in the front. Drove around for two years without a problem. AZ cops are pretty easy going as far as tint goes, we're just trying to keep our cars cool in this 105+ weather.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:07 AM

I'm in Florida here as well and have gotten pulled over twice in my previous vehicle with 15% all around. Once on the turnpike! I passed an officer who was pulled over cruising at 70mph and he still noticed! I'm sure having my 4 ten inch subs pounding didn't help. Both times were young rookie cops and both times they asked to search my vehicle. The officer on the turnpike was about half my size (I'm 6'2" and at the time was a gym freak, the officer was tiny) and asked politely if he could hand cuff me in the front and put me in his air conditioned car while he searched my car. I never have anything of course so always just let them, but now I know to say:

"I'm sorry officer, I am not resisting but I do not condone searches without a warrant.".

I'm still going to get illegal tint on my Maxima as soon as I get my new VQ35 in it. If I see a cop I just roll the front windows down.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 AM

I got pulled over 2 weeks ago for my tinted tails and my window tint. Meter pulled up 17 %. I also got searched by the law over here in the suburbs because I "reached down to hide something under the seat" when I was actually grabbing my registration. It was pretty entertaining watching that cop trying to find something. Then again, having multiple encounters with this county doesn't help either lol.

After all that **** was over with, I was issued a fix-it ticket and had to return to the station within 5 days to show that I removed the tint and had normal tails.

I wouldn't worry about it until they give you problems about it. The crazy thing here is that he was driving on the opposite side, looked over and we had a stare down lol. Look in the rearview and there he is...Cops here really have nothing better to do, I think 4 cars showed up iirc. The best part was me n my man clownin the department with one of them watching us from the back during the whole thing lol. Just make sure you not ridin dirty.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM

i have 5% on my rear windows and 35% on the fronts, not really that much of a different in contrast. but i also dont have tint on the rear wind shield (dont ask, make car came like that) which i'm wanting to but 35% on it so i can see out of it at night
Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM

It certainly does vary from state-to-state. My dad was pulled over for having too much tint on his old car when we moved to Pennsylvania. It came that way from the dealership in Arizona.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM
L36

I had 10% all around on my 01, i drove mainly in the Philadelphia area and never got pulled over for tint. I had the tint for a good year and half before i let the car go. I got pulled over for it once but that was in suburbs and the cop let me go.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM

THats what Im saying yall just because 5% is legal its not like an officer is going to be able to notice "oh ok thats legal" and brush it off. Even if they could they will still pull you over for it to see what you are doing. If you dont want to get pulled over at all(like I uses to desire) then have clear windows
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM

They can't pull you exclusively for your tint. Most people don't know that so they still will do it. They will do it in hopes to find another reason to or if you give them one other than the tint. So pretty much the same rule that applies with texting, applies to tinted windows as well. They can't exclusively pull you over for it, but can give you an extra ticket for it if you give them a reason to. I've been pulled over plenty of times because of it and wish I knew what I know now. An ex officer was going over things people didn't know and that was one of em at least that's how it is in Virginia. Just mention it next time and depending on where ever you live they may look dumbfounded or have a legit response.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 PM

I asked this question to a very good friend of mine (Sgt. Sheriff's Deputy in Baton Rouge), my uncle (Sheriff of Freestone county, TX; former Texas DPS Trooper), and my god-father (State Investigator, Texas DCJ; former Sgt. and Patrol CO for 23 years in TX).

All three of them said that window tint being too dark is a legitimate reason to initiate a traffic stop and/or issue a citation on it's own. It falls under the same idea as if you were driving around with a headlight or tail light out. They can indeed use it as a means to pull you over. That being said, I asked them if they had ever pulled anyone over because of window tint, and only my friend Bill (Sheriff's Deputy) did, and he said the individual he pulled over was suspected of possession/distribution of cocaine, and he used the window tint as the reason for the stop, because he was following all other traffic laws.

In short, it's entirely possible to be pulled over for it, but it is highly unlikely unless the officer suspects you are doing something far more worrying than having windows that can't be seen through.

-Nathan
Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crushed
They can't pull you exclusively for your tint
cops can do anything they want lol they can pull you over because they thought they saw a gun. Are you going to argue? No. Trust me I know a thing or 2 about the police
Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by tseng1023
I got pulled over 2 weeks ago for my tinted tails and my window tint. Meter pulled up 17 %. I also got searched by the law over here in the suburbs because I "reached down to hide something under the seat" when I was actually grabbing my registration. It was pretty entertaining watching that cop trying to find something. Then again, having multiple encounters with this county doesn't help either lol.

After all that **** was over with, I was issued a fix-it ticket and had to return to the station within 5 days to show that I removed the tint and had normal tails.

I wouldn't worry about it until they give you problems about it. The crazy thing here is that he was driving on the opposite side, looked over and we had a stare down lol. Look in the rearview and there he is...Cops here really have nothing better to do, I think 4 cars showed up iirc. The best part was me n my man clownin the department with one of them watching us from the back during the whole thing lol. Just make sure you not ridin dirty.
Was it Havertown? They are brutal for tint.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by L36
I had 10% all around on my 01, i drove mainly in the Philadelphia area and never got pulled over for tint. I had the tint for a good year and half before i let the car go. I got pulled over for it once but that was in suburbs and the cop let me go.

I have limo tint on my Camaro since '98 and never got a ticket. I did get two warnings out by Granite Run Mall area a few years ago (once getting gas and another when a Trooper was directing traffic and I was the 1st car in line at the traffic light). Both troopers were cool with me and just warned that their other officers may target me.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM

Maryland state law is 35% all around, most people do it 20%. Judging from that picture, its little bit to dark. I know someone do tint for half the price you paid for, let me know if you need help.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They CAN and WILL pull you over just for tint in Georgia....been there, done that and got the tee shirt.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 AM

i got pulled over twice last month for my tint, and its 35% which is legal in MA
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM

I got pulled over for "tint to dark" 20% all around in virginia on 95S just as I was about to get off on my exit 330ish on a thursday. I was guilty np I took the ticket and rolled out. The very next day the same exact cop pulled me over in the same exact place and as he walked up to my car i gave him the (twisted up lip look) like you are kidding right??? He started talking and said " I am pulling you over for tin... " then he glanced back and started laughing as he said "you need to get that takin care of" WTF its the next day???? I just said "come on man you got to be kidding". I know cops see 1000's of cars through out a day but there is no way he didnt recognize my car because it was unique, i was in the identical spot, and it was the same time BS!!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

^^hey 1truecavalier

I'm getting my tint done at TNT Tint (supposed to be one of the nest in the NoVA area), how often would you say you've been pulled over exclusively just for your tint? I wonder how big of a fuss the Fairfax County cops make over this sort of thing.

Im not going crazy or nothing like that, plan off getting just 35% all around. Problem is...I have dark interior so my windows might look real dark, 'specially on a dark or rainy day. I'm anticipating getting pulled over, but whatever. I think tinted windows make a car look that much better
Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

*best

Sorry for misspellings. I'm doing all of this on the iPhone.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by i8it
^^hey 1truecavalier

I'm getting my tint done at TNT Tint (supposed to be one of the nest in the NoVA area), how often would you say you've been pulled over exclusively just for your tint? I wonder how big of a fuss the Fairfax County cops make over this sort of thing.

Im not going crazy or nothing like that, plan off getting just 35% all around. Problem is...I have dark interior so my windows might look real dark, 'specially on a dark or rainy day. I'm anticipating getting pulled over, but whatever. I think tinted windows make a car look that much better
Just FYI, 35% tint film on the window will register around 28% if a cop uses a light meter since most factory glass already comes from the factory with about 80% tint.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TallTom
Just FYI, 35% tint film on the window will register around 28% if a cop uses a light meter since most factory glass already comes from the factory with about 80% tint.
Forreal? Damn, never thought it like that. My buddy just got 30% all around, does that mean he will register around 20%? I don't mind paying off the tickets for tint violations, I just don't want the hassle of having to pull over. Especially if I'm trying to rush on my way to class or work.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
It depends on the factory glass. With 15%, my car scanned 12%, both front and rear windows.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 PM
SLOW

I got pulled over for tint like 3-4 times in like 98-2000. Finally gave up on tinting the front windows because it just got annoying.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:37 PM

lucky, up here in canada any tint to the front is illegal =[ lol still said **** it and went 35% all around on my maxima and so far so good *knock on wood*
Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
It depends on the factory glass. With 15%, my car scanned 12%, both front and rear windows.
Which is what I said.

.80 (factory glass) X .15 (aftermarket film) = .12 or 12% light transmission
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 AM

:facepalmthread:

http://www.tintlaws.com/
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 AM

i got 5% all the way around including half of my front windshield...get pulled over every once in a while for it...but i usually just roll my window down when i see a cop...if my exaust wasnt so loud i dont think i would hardly get pulled over for my tint, cause they usually hit me with both, and a warning lol
Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 AM

35% legal limit here in PA....Thats why I did 35% all around.....its dark enough and dont want problems with cops....its already turbo so I dont need MORe problems!!

Quick Reply: Pulled over Exclusively for Tint??