General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to properly polish/clean clearcoated wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM

How to properly polish/clean clearcoated wheels?

Ok yes there are a few threads on this but I wanted to see how everybody else (clearing throat Rochester) cleans theres. Starting this now and I will contribute later on. Lets get a good list of products because there are clearcoat cleaners and polishes out there but they ARE NOT readily available. SO what do you guys use?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM

Haven't tried on my max, but to keep my old GrandAm alloys clean I used that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser stuff, then armor-all wheel cleaner and a sponge. I never polished 'em or anything (rashed pretty bad)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Step 1: acquire bucket and wash mit
Step 2: Fill with water and car wash soap
Step 3: Clean wheels

Last edited by tigersharkdude; 06-13-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM

thought i had progress pics of when i did my integra wheels, must have gotten deleted

Materials:

Beer (or alcohol of choice)
Aircraft stripper
Variety of sandpaper (can be started from 800 grit and finished at 2000 grit)
Mothers Mag Wheel Polish
Wax of choice (I used Meguiars)
Chair
Bucket
Dish Detergent (or some soap of some kind)
Microfiber Cloths
Applicator of some sort (i was cheap and used paper towel #boss)
Water hose/car wash pressure washer

(you dont have to remove tires, but it makes it easier)

apply aircraft stripper per instructions, make sure you scrap all the clear coat off, then rinse it. be liberal w/ the aircraft stripper and be careful it doesnt get on your hands

once its dry, i gave mine a day to dry completely, but unnecessary. get your sandpaper and bucket of soapy water and wetsand each wheel completely until felt to be smooth w/ the grit of sandpaper you are working with, and work your way up in less coarse sandpaper..be sure to wash/rinse each wheel after finishing w/ one grit of sandpaper.

one complete w/ all the wheels you are wetsanding, wash the wheel real good and allow it to dry.

if you want to paint the insides, now is the time to mask it off and do it, or better yet, just before the last wetsanding that you do.

apply mothers mag wheel polish

apply wax

enjoy
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Wash claybar if necessary, polish, wax. Theres nothing more to it unless the clear coat is in really bad shape.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
thought i had progress pics of when i did my integra wheels, must have gotten deleted

Materials:

Beer (or alcohol of choice)
Aircraft stripper
Variety of sandpaper (can be started from 800 grit and finished at 2000 grit)
Mothers Mag Wheel Polish
Wax of choice (I used Meguiars)
Chair
Bucket
Dish Detergent (or some soap of some kind)
Microfiber Cloths
Applicator of some sort (i was cheap and used paper towel #boss)
Water hose/car wash pressure washer

(you dont have to remove tires, but it makes it easier)

apply aircraft stripper per instructions, make sure you scrap all the clear coat off, then rinse it. be liberal w/ the aircraft stripper and be careful it doesnt get on your hands

once its dry, i gave mine a day to dry completely, but unnecessary. get your sandpaper and bucket of soapy water and wetsand each wheel completely until felt to be smooth w/ the grit of sandpaper you are working with, and work your way up in less coarse sandpaper..be sure to wash/rinse each wheel after finishing w/ one grit of sandpaper.

one complete w/ all the wheels you are wetsanding, wash the wheel real good and allow it to dry.

if you want to paint the insides, now is the time to mask it off and do it, or better yet, just before the last wetsanding that you do.

apply mothers mag wheel polish

apply wax

enjoy

I believe he's asking how to CLEAN the wheels, not how to strip them
Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 PM

lol yea hell no not stripping these but aircraft stripper FTMFW if that is what someone wants to do in the future. The normal cleaning most folks do is fine but when trying to bring out a better shine and remove impurities there is definitely more to it than soap and water. What I like to do is clean it during the wash with this:

THis product has a wax in it(probably little to none) and is a really thick cleaner which Im sure you guys know matters for foam cleaners. Then I get in there with a microfibre cloth and wipe whatever dirt off that remains. Then I shine my ties with the same turtle wax product that applies. It odd how good of a polish tire shine is for clear-coated wheels. It really brings out a sheen. Then with a clean microfibre cloth I spray the wheels with this:

This along makes it very very easy to clean the next time as well. My wheels are not stock and therefore the whole waxing process would be a true PITA. I compromise and use the detailer which I find works well. I just wanted to get this thread going because we all have clear-coated wheels but yet all the cleaners/polishes in the stores are for bare metal and explicitly say "not for use on coated wheels".
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Got Retrofit?

/thread
Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287

/thread
thats SICK! i use a wheel cleaner my friend was able to source for me from the washing dpt at benz... its 2 parts (brown and green stuff) and it does this exactly! when i run out i'm get myself some sonax
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
thats SICK! i use a wheel cleaner my friend was able to source for me from the washing dpt at benz... its 2 parts (brown and green stuff) and it does this exactly! when i run out i'm get myself some sonax
Pricey but worth it, especially if you have some serious mesh wheels like me.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287

/thread
The only thing I would ask is how does it affect rubber over time? and the plastic center cap? It looks freakin BA. There has got to be some kind of #1 cleaner detailers use. I wonder if whats his name in the hustle thread who details high end **** would know? They would use safe stuff on those shoes

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 06-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 PM

I know a pro-detailer http://www.trushinedetailing.com/

He uses and recommends the Sonax cleaner that Chrisman posted. He uses it on high end cars (Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, etc etc)..ive never heard him have any complaints
Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Sonax looks bad as sheit. I might just have to give it a whirl. Aftermarket wheels are just a pain in the *** to clean. YOu really must spend at least 15mins on each one to get it spotless. YOu leave one metal shaving from the rotor on there for even just one cleaning cycle too long and it eats through the clear-coat and it over. I was thinking about using some of that serious bug cleaner foam but didnt want to take a chance of discoloring my new rubber