General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

best sounding maxima

Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM

best sounding maxima

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YzUorpX-g
Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM

Out of curiousity, whats the purpose of this thread? For ppl to post up sound clips?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM

Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM

^ gif fail
Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 PM

It sounds ok but have you gotten any tickets yet? because that sounds like it will alert the cops. Guess you love the rasp and backfire
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM

That aint his whip. I guess he posted it to compare different sounding setups?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM

You kidding
Old 05-23-2012, 06:03 PM

Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Out of curiousity, whats the purpose of this thread? For ppl to post up sound clips?
That aint his whip. I guess he posted it to compare different sounding setups?
no, not my car... just a youtube clip i wanted to share.

i guess people can post awesome sounding maximas here? i dunno lol
Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
It sounds ok but have you gotten any tickets yet? because that sounds like it will alert the cops. Guess you love the rasp and backfire
Mine is equally as loud.. If you don't go to every stoplight at midnight revving your car like a tool then the cops don't really care.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:53 AM

Extremely annoying is what it is. Mufflers were invented for a reason.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:56 AM

And by mufflers, I mean stock ones.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM

party pooper

Originally Posted by Hectic
And by mufflers, I mean stock ones.
i hope you know it doesn't sound like that when you're driving normally.

he's also got a video with full cattman exaust test pipe and a stock muffler... and it sounds like poop. how old are you if you don't mind me asking? lol
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Mine is equally as loud.. If you don't go to every stoplight at midnight revving your car like a tool then the cops don't really care.
i agree. my cars loud too, and with a hideous N1 (fart can lol) muffler. it doesn't get loud till i really get on it. i also have a high flow cat and 1 resonator in the cat back.

yours sounds damn good too! gonna make some under load vids outside the car anytime soon? are you running a resonator in the cat back section?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 AM

LMAO good one ^ back to the subject, it sounds beyond amazing! I remember seen that video back when i used to have my old 5th gen
Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Im gonna make that bumper mounted clip in the next few days before i switch mufflers. Will also post up clips of the new setup.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
i agree. my cars loud too, and with a hideous N1 (fart can lol) muffler. it doesn't get loud till i really get on it. i also have a high flow cat and 1 resonator in the cat back.

yours sounds damn good too! gonna make some under load vids outside the car anytime soon? are you running a resonator in the cat back section?
I've been trying to find a friend to help me record some flyby videos. Everyone has just been so busy lately. Even I'm moving on the 1st of this next month and will be very busy. Hopefully soon I'll get it done.

If you keep the RPM under 3k It's really not that loud. I have no resonators. OBX-V2 Headers > V2 Ypipe > 3" 240sx test pipe (none Resonated) > 3" custom catback > OBX Series 5 muffler.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:11 AM
dot dot dot ...

That's older than the internet.

Stevens88.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-pictures.html

Steven88 - VQ35, Apex-i intake, Cattman Headers, Budget Test Pipe, Cattman Catback

Berk Intake/Cattman Header/test pipe/Cattman bpipe/stock rear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LtlMSJLl8

Berk Intake/Cattman Header/test pipe/Cattman Catback:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YzUorpX-g

Stock everything (intake, cat, b-pipe) except for Cattman headers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7J4bzb33oI
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM

My sidepiped Maxima sounded better.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM

GReddy SP2, OEM cat, Stillen y pipe OEM exhaust manifold (2.5)

(current) OBX V2, OBX Resonated test pipe, 2 OBX resonators (30"+ total), OBX Forza rear sec, mandrel bent (3.0)

Changing out the muffler tomorrow. Will post results. Oh and OP, I got you on the bumper mounted video.

Last edited by VQ'rInWLA; 05-24-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
That only applies to the cars that aren't modified. Cops tail gate me all the time looking for a reason to pull me over and that would definitely do the job. If your car isn't lowered,rimmed up, custom paint or look fast you can pass the cops with a sign saying I'm guilty and they wouldnk't pull you over

Tints, exhaust, coloured license plate cover and loud music will get any modified car drawn down, stock cars get away
Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 AM

ah the mens urge to at least sound fast.
I'm kind of digging that intake whistle tho.
best sound so far out of a VQ35de is aftermarket y pipe,x or mid cat pipe and oem muffler.
Has a good balanced sound to it.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:57 AM

I know I dont have near the best but I like mine

Old 05-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Lightly modded

GReddy SP2, OEM cat, Stillen y pipe OEM exhaust manifold (2.5)

(current) OBX V2, OBX Resonated test pipe, 2 OBX resonators (30"+ total), OBX Forza rear sec, mandrel bent (3.0)

Changing out the muffler tomorrow. Will post results. Oh and OP, I got you on the bumper mounted video.
Where do you have your two OBX resonators mounted?

I just finished up redoing my exhaust, I will post up a video soon!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM

I've always liked this one. Too loud for a daily driver, at least for me, but it sounds sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DETaRC5RM
Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Where do you have your two OBX resonators mounted?

I just finished up redoing my exhaust, I will post up a video soon!
After cat before the beam.

First four posts in thread below have pics of the setup.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...j-chassis.html
Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 PM

All I have is a straight pipe from the cat... Haters are gonna hate on it, but I get more comliments on it that you'd think. It's quiet at idle and sounds great with some throttle. cheap, functional, and sounds like a 3.5
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 AM

I made a bumper video cam and it didnt come out too good. I didnt have enough time to test out different settings of my camera so I made one recording on the way to the exhaust shop. That one recording came out slow, delayed, and choppy...and yeah new muffler is on.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM

New setup. Replaced the muffler. Everything remains the same. Clean sounding. Sounds VERY similar to cattman/greddy sp/se

Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM

Everyone sit down.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Come on cefs. We need a few revs at least.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That's older than the internet.

Stevens88.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-pictures.html
LOL... good exhaust vid. would be awesome with a drive off!

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
My sidepiped Maxima sounded better.

good sound but thats a lil too obnoxious for me

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
That only applies to the cars that aren't modified. Cops tail gate me all the time looking for a reason to pull me over and that would definitely do the job. If your car isn't lowered,rimmed up, custom paint or look fast you can pass the cops with a sign saying I'm guilty and they wouldnk't pull you over

Tints, exhaust, coloured license plate cover and loud music will get any modified car drawn down, stock cars get away
your city's cops have nothing to do or you got too many rookies/aholes doing patrol.

Originally Posted by actionbstard
ah the mens urge to at least sound fast.
I'm kind of digging that intake whistle tho.
best sound so far out of a VQ35de is aftermarket y pipe,x or mid cat pipe and oem muffler.
Has a good balanced sound to it.
i like that whistle too!

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
I know I dont have near the best but I like mine

thats really good too! anything on vq35de sounds at least pretty good making a vq30de sound good is a challenge. are you running catless? i got the srs cat back too. good value considering its ss304 and mandrel bent... i just hate the fart can mine came with

Originally Posted by jasoneon
I've always liked this one. Too loud for a daily driver, at least for me, but it sounds sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DETaRC5RM
nice n gurgly, like a z with cat back... those mufflers silence a lot of the high pitch and rasp and leave the gurgle. i've seen that vid too, i wonder how it sounds under load

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
All I have is a straight pipe from the cat... Haters are gonna hate on it, but I get more comliments on it that you'd think. It's quiet at idle and sounds great with some throttle. cheap, functional, and sounds like a 3.5
well stock y pipe is still more equal than any current aftermarket y pipe for the 4th gen so it sounds better when its uncorked. no hate from me, it prob sounds awesome. i'd do that too but i was looking for some more power

this how it sounds like?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSG9d...eature=related anyone wanting a really good noise coming out of their 4th gen should consider this setup. just remember to re install cat for emission testing!

New setup. Replaced the muffler. Everything remains the same. Clean sounding. Sounds VERY similar to cattman/greddy sp/se

OMG yes! this is what i want out of the vq30 what muffler did you switch too? it does sound a bit cleaner and quieter. sounds like you almost got a flame at 0:51 you running a cat? perfect setup mang... quiet idle, nice medium volume burble at part throttle and roaring vq sound wide open.

good to know the cattman and your setup sound similar. got my eye on cattman headers + y and i want to do 3" cat back too. i heard going 3" over 2.5" gives you a bit more power but also a deeper sound.

thank you so much for some proper revs. good exhaust vid, cameras far enough too. i hate those idiots that stick their mics right next to the muffler and all you hear is shhhhhhhshppttpttshhshhshhvrooooompptppshshhhssssh hhhhhh

Originally Posted by MoncefA33

Everyone sit down.
for an idle video??!? sit down for VQ'rInWLA's setup lol
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM

OMG yes! this is what i want out of the vq30 what muffler did you switch too? it does sound a bit cleaner and quieter. sounds like you almost got a flame at 0:51 you running a cat? perfect setup mang... quiet idle, nice medium volume burble at part throttle and roaring vq sound wide open.

No cat. Resonated test pipe.

good to know the cattman and your setup sound similar. got my eye on cattman headers + y and i want to do 3" cat back too. i heard going 3" over 2.5" gives you a bit more power but also a deeper sound.

Yeah I've ran Cattman and a GReddy SP2. Those two sound the same except the Cattman is a bit raspier. You gotta be obsessive (im guilty) to pinpoint it. As for power, going 3" is for boosted setups. Im building towards supercharging thus the way Im modding. 2.5" is fine if youre N/A. IDK about a deeper sound but it definitely is louder than 2.5.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO_D4...3&feature=plcp

Besides the hilarious commentator, I have yet to hear a exhaust better than this. It probably sounds so good cause its on a small street and the sound is resonating off of the cars.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Cant really compare that one......thats a boosted setup. I think OP is going for the best sounding N/A setup. Correct me if im wrong...
Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 PM

In cabin sound clips of new setup:

For this one, the raspy siht you hear while I was stopped (1:53) was a nasty azz prelude revvin back just because I was .

Another one

Yet another one
Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 PM

Terrible attempt at a fly by. My brother is a wack cameraman . Too late to do another one now. Im back to the previous setup.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 PM

i hope you know it doesn't sound like that when you're driving normally.

he's also got a video with full cattman exaust test pipe and a stock muffler... and it sounds like poop. how old are you if you don't mind me asking? lol
Look man, 90% of aftermarket exhaust systems sound like ****. People driving loud *** motorcycles and cars, annoying everyone in town have serious issues which need to be addressed by a certified mental practitioner.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by TommyNtama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO_D4...3&feature=plcp

Besides the hilarious commentator, I have yet to hear a exhaust better than this. It probably sounds so good cause its on a small street and the sound is resonating off of the cars.
ya seen that one too he's jokes... don't like that sound i can already hear it doesn't have an equal y. to each his own

Cant really compare that one......thats a boosted setup. I think OP is going for the best sounding N/A setup. Correct me if im wrong...
didn't even know that ones boosted. ya, n/a but you can post FI clips here for reference

Originally Posted by Hectic
Look man, 90% of aftermarket exhaust systems sound like ****. People driving loud *** motorcycles and cars, annoying everyone in town have serious issues which need to be addressed by a certified mental practitioner.
no, thats your opinion and you don't seem to understand the difference. loud isn't just loud. i can straight pipe a d16 civic and it'll sound like diarrhea, i could also do the same to a vette and it'll sound delicious.

i don't think loud exhaust sound like ****, it depends on the setup and the engine (# cyls and cyl layout (i, v, h)). for example i LOVE a b16 with full exhaust, it sounds awesome when WOT but then if its un-catted/resonated the I4 configuration will give a tinney or 'ricey' sound on deceleration, its just how it is.

are you telling me you don't like the sounding of a screaming 600cc inline 4 or even a 250cc inline 4 (yep 0.25L) with an f1-like 18500rpm redline? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFOKnm5LBqU

or the best sound (imo)... american ohv v8!?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pufZn...feature=relmfu

here's an example of cat delete and unequal y, lots of rice from the test pipe and different tone cause by unequal y pipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT3QuVLng

now compare that to post #29

they're all loud enough but if you cant tell the difference between the 2 that i just mentioned then

here's a clip comparing equal vs unequal headers on a legacy 2.5gt... you can clearly hear the difference. different pipes make different sounds. the rasp is cause by a cattless downpipe but the tone is obviously changed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riOz7TxeNZQ the unequal sounds ****ing sick... proper subie rumble.

for me, sound is an important factor for driving. i love a nice sounding engine and an exhaust that compliments it. it doesn't have to be onboxious, well maybe only at full gas, but you just need to get the right setup... like an equal y (or unequal if you prefer the sound), generously resonated cat back and a sporty muffler.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM

hey I was referenced

BTW im back to the previous setup. Just fyi, the muffler used for post #29 is for sale. Sound was sex but had to remove because I scraped on EVERY driveway. So if youre slammed, this isnt the muffler for you. If youre running an aggressive drop and under, then youll be fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best sounding maxima