General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 PM

Speeding ticket?

So I have recently recived my first speeding ticket. I have no idea how much it is for and it is not listed on my ticket. Anyone have an idea for me how much the ticket will cost? I am 17 years old have a until now spotless record. was going 10 over the limit and the ordinance that i broke was 11-801.B I also live in the state of Oklahoma. Also any advice to have this thing resolved as clean as possible?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 PM

Dont fight it. in Cali I just went to the courthouse and paid the fine. For 10 over, maybe $150-$200 IDK about OK though. Youll get the fine mailed to you and then Either have to see the judge, or go to the cashiers window. Again this was in Cali, IDK what OK is like.

After that see about driving school to have it expunged from your record for insurance sake.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM

did you get pulled over or is it a photo radar/intersection cam?

i got a $80 one for going 72km/h in a 60 zone at a intersection, and a $200ish one for going 88km/h in a 60 zone (photo radar got me) so you should expect around $150 im guessing

ive been told by many its a waste of time to fight it, but i know on a local forum a few guys said they got a reduction for going to court
Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Go to court. I was recently busted for doing 83 in a 50, was lowered to 83 in a 65 by cop and judge let it be. If he hadn't reduced the sentence I would have had 5 pts, cop made it 2, judge made it 1. This was my first ticket, and the norm. is to reduce the sentence of first time offenders. Well, that is in MD.

Plead Guilty.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM

in my state, you have to go to court if you're <18
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0
Go to court. I was recently busted for doing 83 in a 50, was lowered to 83 in a 65 by cop and judge let it be. If he hadn't reduced the sentence I would have had 5 pts, cop made it 2, judge made it 1. This was my first ticket, and the norm. is to reduce the sentence of first time offenders. Well, that is in MD.

Plead Guilty.
Yeah, Maryland isn't bad for going to court. I'll always take a ticket to court.

Just gotta hope you don't get a PO'd judge, and hope you are at the top of the list. So the judge didn't have to deal with all the retards before you.

This is Maryland though... What makes me slightly hesitant about saying go to court is the fact that you already got a bunch of other stuff dropped by the cop. Who knows how that might go in court.

I say talk to your parents. They should have been around long enough to know how to handle things in your area.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Damn in Cali my first ticket was 300 plus like wtf, and still high till this day my girl got a ticket last month San Diego 350 bucks like ****...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Altec
Yeah, Maryland isn't bad for going to court. I'll always take a ticket to court.

Just gotta hope you don't get a PO'd judge, and hope you are at the top of the list. So the judge didn't have to deal with all the retards before you.

This is Maryland though... What makes me slightly hesitant about saying go to court is the fact that you already got a bunch of other stuff dropped by the cop. Who knows how that might go in court.

I say talk to your parents. They should have been around long enough to know how to handle things in your area.
Well considering this was my first ticket, I was hoping to get a Probation Before Judgement but I didn't. However, he did drop another point, so it was worth going.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Yeah, PBJ can be a pain to get. I got a ticket for going through a yellow before, and felt lucky to get PBJ with the judge I got. Everytime I've been in court, most all the speeders got the speed dropped. Never a drop, or probation.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by shdwonthsun
in my state, you have to go to court if you're <18
this is how it was in ohio when I was growing up, had to go to court if you got any type of traffic ticket.

Typically though, there is a number on the back of the ticket that you can call and see how much it is as well as find out if you have an option for traffic school to prevent the ticket from showing on your record.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Special-K
this is how it was in ohio when I was growing up, had to go to court if you got any type of traffic ticket.
i live in ohio
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by shdwonthsun
i live in ohio
was it the same way for you in cincy? I was up on Akron
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM

yezzer. 85 (100 but he didn't see me) in my moms astro lolz

parents always find out when you're that age
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0

Plead Guilty.
+1 for going to court. Always, always go to court. The worst they can say is no and you have to pay the full fine. Even if they lower it a little, you came out better.
I once got 4 tickets in one incident on I-95North, near Laurel, MD.
Speeding, tailgating, improper lane change and aggressive driving = about 11 points + 900 plus dollars in fines.

Got a lawyer and went to court. Judge threw out the speeding, tailgating, and the lane change, plead guilty to aggressive driving and got Judgement without probation for 2 years. Went to drivers ED class for 2 nights, faxed the court the completion certificate and I've been good.
It cost me $600 for the lawyer and $50 for the court costs, but I got no points.

So go to court, it cant hurt you.................................unless you have a warrant for your arrest.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here in Las Vegas you can pay a place/lawyer called ticketbusters to take care of your ticket, not sure about Oklahoma. The ticket gets reduced down to a parking ticket, no points, no drivers school. Ends up costing around $200.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by maximus nismo
+1 for going to court. Always, always go to court. The worst they can say is no and you have to pay the full fine. Even if they lower it a little, you came out better.
I once got 4 tickets in one incident on I-95North, near Laurel, MD.
Speeding, tailgating, improper lane change and aggressive driving = about 11 points + 900 plus dollars in fines.

Got a lawyer and went to court. Judge threw out the speeding, tailgating, and the lane change, plead guilty to aggressive driving and got Judgement without probation for 2 years. Went to drivers ED class for 2 nights, faxed the court the completion certificate and I've been good.
It cost me $600 for the lawyer and $50 for the court costs, but I got no points.

So go to court, it cant hurt you.................................unless you have a warrant for your arrest.
A fine example of why to go, to the OP.

That's crazy though lol
Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Well i'm located in Oklahoma. A lot of my friends have told me to go to court and just claim "no contest". They believe that since this is my first offense I will likely just have it dismissed after paying the fine. Also as Altec stated since there were other possible things that could I could have been charged with, it could very possibley be a bad idea to try and fight it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Not sure about other cities/states, but in Dallas, if the cop doesn't show up at court, you usually get the ticket dismissed
Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Not sure about other cities/states, but in Dallas, if the cop doesn't show up at court, you usually get the ticket dismissed
Happens here as well
Old 01-21-2011, 05:46 AM

My 1st ticket was doing 31 km/h over. That was a $345 ticket. Of course i went to fight it. I never even said a word when i was in there and they said "This is what we are prepared to offer you....only 10km/h over and no points lost OR i can go fight it in actual court (we were in a little room 1st before)

So i took the 10 over and it was a $55 ticket. They take huge jumps in price from 0-10 over, 10-20 over, etc...

fight it
Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 AM

i have to say that ive never had a ticket and ive had my liscense for 3+ years, but all of my friends have. and they always take it to court. if your a first time offender they'll pretty much knock it down to where you only have to pay court fees and they might take some points off depending on what you got caught doing. but thats in cincinnati. all judges are diff. i really dont have to worry about getting a ticket now that i got a radar/laser detector.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
We get overtime for going to court, so the odds of him/her not showing up are slim/none. To the OP, since you are a minor, is it a mandatory appearance? Also, is it juvenile court, or regular traffic court?