General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

When is someone going to make a FWD VQ35 Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
SFR

Turbo

Kit.

This would be cheaper than R&Ding a S/Cer in a cramped FWD engine bay, turbos are more efficient and it's easier to increase boost as well.
Doesn't that cause problems with waaaaay too much heat in the engine bay? I know the turbo option is there, but I'm just looking for an alternative.

As far as R&D, I don't see how it would be too expensive. I was planning on trying a unit available to Chevy TBI guys that's a sealed centrifugal type unit that runs just warm to the touch and really doesn't need an intercooler (of course one could be added).
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Two-Tone
Doesn't that cause problems with waaaaay too much heat in the engine bay? I know the turbo option is there, but I'm just looking for an alternative.

As far as R&D, I don't see how it would be too expensive. I was planning on trying a unit available to Chevy TBI guys that's a sealed centrifugal type unit that runs just warm to the touch and really doesn't need an intercooler (of course one could be added).
Heat?

There have been no problems on record. Intake temps are controlled with a front mount intercooler.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Heat?

There have been no problems on record. Intake temps are controlled with a front mount intercooler.
I thought I'd read before about extensive heat wrapping needed because of all the extra heat the turbo generates with the VQ already being an engine that seems to keep underhood temps pretty high. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to make sure I have my info straight.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:50 PM

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Alti...lip-16178.html
Old 10-30-2010, 05:06 PM

nice alternative, but with a good driver, and bolt-ons, cant 12.6 be done all motor
Old 10-30-2010, 05:38 PM

Reason I posted that link wasn't for the times, even though they were an improvement over the 12.8 that was previously stated. It was to show that he is running 5.5PSI and has a lot more room to grow. This particular person is also a bracket racer. He's letting off near the end to not break out of his dial in time. So the car/setup is capable of a lot faster times.

So don't rule out superchargers for the VQ as a good source for horsepower.

Last edited by 2002AltimateV6; 10-30-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM

So after all these years that video has been out, nobody has contacted this guy even if he's on altima forums or not? and gotten any info on what to do exactly? at least approached him like you're not into nissans and asked how did he get that to work in a nissan. Then bring the idea back into the forums? just saying lol
Old 10-31-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Majestic Ken
So after all these years that video has been out, nobody has contacted this guy even if he's on altima forums or not? and gotten any info on what to do exactly? at least approached him like you're not into nissans and asked how did he get that to work in a nissan. Then bring the idea back into the forums? just saying lol
I don't think he comes to the forums anymore. I fail to see why a company hasn't made a blower yet. They make one for the Acura TL and Honda Accord, why not the Maxima? god...

And the SFR kit is like $5,000...a supercharger setup can be done for less than $2000
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 AM

The 12.6 second 1/4 mile you posted a link to... Isn't a reaction time of 1.28 horribly, horribly slow*? I see what you guys mean by "better driver" plus more grip, plus some bolt-ons, equals low 13s. =/

*I haven't seen enough time slips to know what a good reaction speed is, but I thought it was closer to a 1/4 of a second/.250.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM

If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't really frequent the forums anymore. My guess would be too many "how do I make a 11ty billion HP VQ35" PMs.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM

SFR

Turbo

Kit.

This would be cheaper than R&Ding a S/Cer in a cramped FWD engine bay, turbos are more efficient and it's easier to increase boost as well.
This. Unfortunately in the B13/B14 world we don't have kits heheh we have to mix and match or fabricate our own stuff

With ball bearing turbos, a turbo these days almost spools like a supercharger. You just have to match the right turbo for your car and needs. A turbo uses the car's exhaust gases to propel it and is only sucking up more air/gas when you want unlike a supercharger which is connected to a drive belt and is 'always on' in a way. Superchargers are the thing of the past IMO. Go turbo.

I get same gas mileage I did on my car post-turbo as long as I'm not in boost. Actually, gas mileage can be better in some situations especially on the highway.

-G

Last edited by gomba; 11-01-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 PM

here is his thread:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-complete.html
Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gomba
This. Unfortunately in the B13/B14 world we don't have kits heheh we have to mix and match or fabricate our own stuff

With ball bearing turbos, a turbo these days almost spools like a supercharger. You just have to match the right turbo for your car and needs. A turbo uses the car's exhaust gases to propel it and is only sucking up more air/gas when you want unlike a supercharger which is connected to a drive belt and is 'always on' in a way. Superchargers are the thing of the past IMO. Go turbo.

I get same gas mileage I did on my car post-turbo as long as I'm not in boost. Actually, gas mileage can be better in some situations especially on the highway.

-G

This post reeks of ignorance. It's quit obvious you know next to nothing about superchargers. And no, I'm not going to waste my time disputing your points.

Superchargers are hardly "a thing of the past" LOL.

Let's not turn this into a Supercharger vs Turbo pissing match...
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Since he doesn't visit the forums much, I would try contacting him via youtube.. I noticed he replied to a comment on his video 3 weeks ago

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXbTBEfowfA
Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
This post reeks of ignorance. It's quit obvious you know next to nothing about superchargers. And no, I'm not going to waste my time disputing your points.

Superchargers are hardly "a thing of the past" LOL.

Let's not turn this into a Supercharger vs Turbo pissing match...
Please dispute my points oh wise one of the supercharger world.

How many cars do you see these days that are coming supercharged? How many do you see coming turbocharged? My point proven? I actually can't think of one car that's coming supercharged from the factory except maybe the GT500 and ZR1.

There's a clear reason for that. Superchargers are inefficient when it comes to gas mileage and operation compared to a turbo by design. Period.

-G

Last edited by gomba; 11-02-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:11 AM

How many cars do you see these days that are coming supercharged? How many do you see coming turbocharged? My point proven? I actually can't think of one car that's coming supercharged from the factory except maybe the GT500 and ZR1.

There's a clear reason for that. Superchargers are inefficient when it comes to gas mileage and operation compared to a turbo by design. Period.

-G
You're missing a few cars. The Audi S4 and Q7 come EXCLUSIVELY with supercharged V6s and the A6 and A7 have them as options. Merc's S/C AMG models are still VERY popular, as are the S/C Harley Davidson F-150s and S/C Pontiacs. And last I checked it's the more common way to add power in medium to large displacement engines. Turbos are very efficient in their design and application, but they're also much more complicated and harder to tune when going aftermarket. Superchargers have come a long way with bypass valves and clutches so that they operate more efficiently like their turbocharged counterparts while still giving that off-idle kick that most people are looking for.

Last edited by Tony Two-Tone; 11-02-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Eirik
The 12.6 second 1/4 mile you posted a link to... Isn't a reaction time of 1.28 horribly, horribly slow*? I see what you guys mean by "better driver" plus more grip, plus some bolt-ons, equals low 13s. =/

*I haven't seen enough time slips to know what a good reaction speed is, but I thought it was closer to a 1/4 of a second/.250.
You could have an RT of 120 minutes and still run a 12 second 1/4. RT doesn't factor in the 1/4 mile or 1/8, or whatever it is you're running. The 1/4 or 1/8 timer starts once you break the "RT plane". The RT begins when the tree starts, and stops once your car breaks said 'plane'.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM

-G
Superchargers are a nice alternative to turbochargers.

1) Cheaper.
2) Easier to maintain.
3) Easier to tune.

That being said, I'd prefer a S/C over T/C. Well, I'd take either. But the supercharger is more suitable to the kind of power I'm looking for in the budget I'm looking to spend. I'm not looking to make massive amounts of power. Just a small boost. And it'll be something to make everyone "Ooo and Ahhh" when I pop the hood.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Superchargers are a nice alternative to turbochargers.

1) Cheaper.
2) Easier to maintain.
3) Easier to tune.

That being said, I'd prefer a S/C over T/C. Well, I'd take either. But the supercharger is more suitable to the kind of power I'm looking for in the budget I'm looking to spend. I'm not looking to make massive amounts of power. Just a small boost. And it'll be something to make everyone "Ooo and Ahhh" when I pop the hood.
Cheaper? If you consider Maxima-only applications, the cheaper option would be the one that has been mass-produced. So from a 3.0 stand point, a V1/V2 kit is a lot cheaper than building a forward feed-pipe and doing the plumbing for a one-off turbo setup, or buying the SFR kit.

BUT you guys have 3.5s. If the plate is all that has to be made, then it's true that the SCer would still be cheaper.

Maintenance? Turbo setup has no belts. Both systems use bearings inside the apparatus themselves so you'll wanna take appropriate measures like changing your oil more often and letting your car idle before shutting it off in order for appropriate cooling times. I'd say between turbo and SC maintenance is a moot point, mainly because I can't say how often a centrifugal SCer has to be rebuilt compared to a turbo. However you have to consider that the SC will require more maintenance if you overspin it, either by using too small of a pulley or revving too high. On turbo applications this is not the case.

Tuning? An FMU + basic piggyback will make the same situation out of either setup. FMU will increase fuel pressure a certain amount as the boost increases, and then you just pull injector signal using an e-Manage Blue to the AFR of your liking. Basic boosted setup could get away with stock timing maps.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Someone should make this so SLCPunk can finally keep up with my DEK.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM

just a thought for you guys thinking about trying a s/c , dont forget that the Frontier p/u came with a s/c factory , specifically on the 3.3l (vg33r) , the s/c are cheap at salvage yards and easy to find used , in fact i have 2 as i was going to adapt my hardbody p/u vg30 to accept the LIM and UIM, , swap comp etc. very easy to do for that application.
As for putting in on the VQ , well who knows?!?!?, at least its a cheap way to get a hold of a s/c and try , pulley kits are available and it runs i think 6psi on the stock pulley .
i dont have any links handy other than the forums at www.4x4parts.com which is a nissan truck/pathfinder site with lots of info on these s/c 's
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Coming from the B13/B14 world, we do seem to have it easier at least when it comes to tuning. Thankfully there's a couple tuners (JWT=Jim Wolf Technologies) who pre-tunes ECU's for our cars. It's really just plug n play for most of us.

I can see how tuning a turbo setup would be a pain if you had to do it yourself or take it to someone to tune it. Plus, if you do it yourself and don't know what you're doing you could really cause a lot of damage quick Once you get everything working right, a turbo car should be just about as reliable as an N/A car(Of course you're adding a lot more stuff that could fail in general.).

-G

Last edited by gomba; 11-02-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
6spd Swapped

So much misinformation in this thread. A supercharger will probably never be made for the FWD VQ35 because Maxima owners are CHEAP. Even someone in here said a FWD supercharger kit should be less than 2k! LMFAO that's exactly why it will never happen, because you all expect so much for next to nothing.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Yeah, I agree that expecting a custom s/c kit to run $2K is ridiculous, and the Altima crowd seems to be the same way. I would be willing to spend the $$ for a quality kit though.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Max0224
So much misinformation in this thread. A supercharger will probably never be made for the FWD VQ35 because Maxima owners are CHEAP. Even someone in here said a FWD supercharger kit should be less than 2k! LMFAO that's exactly why it will never happen, because you all expect so much for next to nothing.
Sad but true.

Boosting a car PROPERLY for less than 5K I would say is almost impossible.
Can you have your car boosted for a short amount of time and kinda sorta have it working on a budget? Sure. But that isn't really realistic or reliable.

Then we get into Fueling, Tuning, Clutches, Brakes, Axles, Pistons, Rods.....It goes on and on and you can't really exclude anything if you are going to build the car properly....if you do exclude anything its only a matter of time before a failure in any neglected area leaves you on the side of the road.

I like the idea of boosting my car but even using a prefabbed SFR kit I would easily be over 10K by the time you factor in a new Clutch, Axles, Labour Etc Etc Etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Administrator

-G
Wise One checking in........

Since I have some time to kill, I'll entertain your comments.

Alternatively I can say, how many aftermarket supercharger kits do you see vs aftermarket turbo kits? And let's take it a step further, how many street legal Supercharger kits vs street legal Turbo kits do you see?? Supercharging wins hands down in both accounts...

Your point is far from proven as others have already beat me to the punch. There are plenty of cars that still come SC'd today.

As far as gas mileage is concerned, what you stated couldn't be further from the truth. As long as you don't have a heavy foot, gas mileage will be exactly the same as stock. I don't know why but there's this misconception that a Supercharger is "always on". This is not true at all. Maybe this myth is what causes people to think that adding a SC will decrease your gas mileage...
Old 11-09-2010, 01:57 AM

^^^ Yeah, isn't a supercharger essentially the same as a turbo when it comes to gas mileage? I mean if you don't floor it everywhere, then that "always on" aspect of the S/C will atomize the A/F mix better, wouldn't it? For a normally aspirated car the air pressure is 14.7 PSI or something, which is sea level, and with a S/C or turbo you increase that which will help the fuel and air become more fine, just like Jessica Alba and help that hotness burn more fully.

All in all, I don't know about you guys. But I think I might be the only one who wants to get boost to get more MPG

And also you have to choose which sound you want to hear, do you want hear the S/C's sexy whine or the turbo "pshhhhhhhhhhh" and if I could, I would like to have both, but............................ on a random note, is it possible for our engines to use individual throttle bodies (ITB) I know we have MAFs and all that junk and it would need a whole lot of engine modification to work but I've seen a few Hondas and Toyotas with it, and it sounds all too awesome.

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 11-09-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Max0224
+1
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusTi
Boosting a car PROPERLY for less than 5K I would say is almost impossible.
what does "properly" mean? b/c i disagree 100%...
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM

man this thread is all nonsense debated now. Lock this ISH!!! nobody has even attempted on the altima forums or here so this is a waste. if u wanna SC then get a 5th gen and be done pretty much
Old 11-13-2010, 10:49 PM

How about modifying a a TRD Scion TC supercharger to start with if you like centrifugal superchargers .

OR

Modifying a TRD Camry/Solara supercharger if you like the roots type blowers.

Last edited by trini_max21; 11-13-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

if you worked at a machine shop and didn't mind a weird custom hood it's not too hard to sc a 5.5 from what I can see...

have a custom double pulley made. this will let you get a belt up to the SC. Just throw an eaton m90 on and tune. Hardest part is the custom LIM to m90 connection and m90 to MAF. Oh and the custom hood because an m90 will sit high.

An m90 on a 5.5 would SCREAM. But I don't know anyone who would fab this up for small change so i'll never make it happen.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Two-Tone
You're missing a few cars. The Audi S4 and Q7 come EXCLUSIVELY with supercharged V6s and the A6 and A7 have them as options. .
ive never heard of any new AUDI coming from the factory S/C, they come turbo, or not. im curious how that roots type blower is working on that VQ motor. from what i know roots type blower is suppose to replace the IM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by JAMAICANLOVRBOY
ive never heard of any new AUDI coming from the factory S/C, they come turbo, or not. im curious how that roots type blower is working on that VQ motor. from what i know roots type blower is suppose to replace the IM.
Started with the '09 A6 3.0T (somehow the "T" is for turbo or supercharger)
Audi S4
Audi Q7
Audi A6

Last edited by Tony Two-Tone; 11-15-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM

That would be nice seen a couple peeps on youtube with custom S/C's but a kit for sale only the Turbo from SFRacing!!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

I still want my AWD 5.5 Maxima.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
That would be nice seen a couple peeps on youtube with custom S/C's but a kit for sale only the Turbo from SFRacing!!
05 Maxima did custom SC was in 2005, it was development
check:
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...maxima-sc.html

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
I still want my AWD 5.5 Maxima.
some owner maxima did that
Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 AM

Why do you people keep trying to base a SC system on positive displacement style or even based on stillen's vq30 system ? I personally built a Rotrex C30 based system for a client who owns an 05 Altima SER. I worked with great folks talking to Active Autowerkes whom make BMW kits; KraftWerks, whom make Miata and Honda kits; and URD which makes Toyota Tacoma V6 kits. I picked their brains, and ordered fairly thick aluminum from 8020 Inc and built a bracket to support a Rotrex C30. I was also able to "borrow" Genesis Performance's HKS Rotrex G35 for a few days to compare how the kit was designed.
Real totals:
Rotrex @ shop disc rate: C30 = $1945 including shipping from URD.
8020 Inc Aluminum = $390 including shipping
Fastenal Hardware = $180 (each bolt was min order of 10)
Xo2 / CX Racing 2.75 piping kit w/ IC : $249.99 shipped @ shop disc rate

Fueling issues: converted to return system, drop in Walbro, Nismo FPR set @ 3.5 bar base pressure, stock injectors.
Cost: 10ft 3/8" Aeroquip Blue line, Fastenal SS fittings 3/8" to 1/4npt, clamps, nismo fpr = $310

I will not post pictures, nor give details, the above took me over a year to figure out, and I do not want any "copies" made until I have some approval of rights to the kit. I don't mind listing the parts, which are publicly available. I did leave out details of items, very important items. I'm not trying to be "that guy" but its strictly business, and I hope this inspires some of you to look at other alternatives that are available to you.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:57 AM

Wise One checking in........

Since I have some time to kill, I'll entertain your comments.

Alternatively I can say, how many aftermarket supercharger kits do you see vs aftermarket turbo kits? And let's take it a step further, how many street legal Supercharger kits vs street legal Turbo kits do you see?? Supercharging wins hands down in both accounts...
I don't know how many because the car world I'm from we have kits for absolutely nothing. We have to piece our turbo kits together basically from hand. Regardless, I've never heard this term 'street legal' when referring to a supercharger or turbo kit. That really makes no sense at all except maybe for Cali. But for the other 49 states, that doesn't apply.

Your point is far from proven as others have already beat me to the punch. There are plenty of cars that still come SC'd today.
There are only a FEW cars that are SC and they are all expensive cars because they suck gas. They are NOT efficient. If they were, you'd see superchargers over turbos being in a ton of new cars these days. The Cruze comes to mind as only one of many small displacement engines with turbos for efficiency and power. There are magnitudes more factory turbo cars being produced than supercharged.

As far as gas mileage is concerned, what you stated couldn't be further from the truth. As long as you don't have a heavy foot, gas mileage will be exactly the same as stock. I don't know why but there's this misconception that a Supercharger is "always on". This is not true at all. Maybe this myth is what causes people to think that adding a SC will decrease your gas mileage...
How can something that's connected via a pulley not be 'always on'? That's like saying the alternator only works when you give the car a lot of gas. A supercharger doesn't need to spool up. It's always sucking in air. Unless they have built-in clutches or some other device as someone else suggested, then I can't see how a supercharger is even close to the efficiency of a turbo. I think physics/science wins here.

-G
Old 11-27-2010, 05:10 AM

How can something that's connected via a pulley not be 'always on'? That's like saying the alternator only works when you give the car a lot of gas. A supercharger doesn't need to spool up. It's always sucking in air. Unless they have built-in clutches or some other device as someone else suggested, then I can't see how a supercharger is even close to the efficiency of a turbo. I think physics/science wins here.

-G

The pulley could work like a/c if it has a clutch. Aside from that, A turbo charger will kick in at a certain speed, but a supercharger is always on. At least the cars I've driven in the past were setup that way.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 PM

this thread is a bit out of hand. gomba, legalizing an aftermarket forced induction kit is fairly easy, the first criteria which is the hardest is to not provoke a SES lamp from illuminating. The second is no modifying emission components, and that it will work with a factory catalytic convertor and not create accelerated wear of the catalytic subtrate. There are several legal systems on the market from Vortech, PowerDyne, Rotrex, even STS is 50 state legal, they created a system that uses exhaust gasses after a catalytic convertor to spin a turbine section on a turbo.

MaxUp, on early 4AG powered 1st gen MR2s that were supercharged from the factory used a system similar to an AC compressor pulley. In 2003 Blitz of Japan brought a similar supercharging system to market, but due to poor sales in USA, they pulled out completely, but the system was real primitive at best.

Quick Reply: When is someone going to make a FWD VQ35 Supercharger?