General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Engine whine - winter, summer, AC on or off. Thinking alternator...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Engine whine - winter, summer, AC on or off. Thinking alternator...

I'm getting a whine, not a shrill like break pads, but a whine from my engine. It increases and decrease in accordance to engine RPM and does not disappear after warm up. It started this winter and has persisted through the summer. It does not disappear if I turn on the AC.

I popped the hood today, grabbed a long screwdriver, and put the screwdriver tip on various parts and put it up to a stethoscope. Seems to be coming from the alternator.

I read somewheres once of a guy here recommending changing out the altnerator's bearing rather than just replacing it due to whine noise. Thing is though, I have no clue where to pick up such bearings from. Thoughts?

Where would you recommend picking up an alternator? (sparkplugs.com is my go-to source for cracking good deals on NGK O2 sensors, but that's the limit of my automobile parts procurement knowledge right now.)
I'm seeing ~$85 on ebay right now. I'd like to get a non-core-return one, so I can pick up some bearings (I assume cheaply), so then I have a spare alternator.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by DanMaxima; 06-29-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Zulu

Did u ever solve this?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM

Yup. It was the alternator. I had a trusted mechanic install a replacement for me -- at the tune of ~$400 parts+labor iirc (ouch). I couldn't find my manual at the time, and I need a quick turnaround time, so I had them do it. Otherwise, I would have tried replacing the bearings assuming it wouldn't be egregiously difficult for a greenhorn mechanic like myself..

Last edited by DanMaxima; 02-18-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM

glad you got the problem solved
Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Thanks. Any of you guys changed out an alternator before? Is it a big job for a novice car mechanic? I'd feel very comfortable working on the alternator itself i.e. change out the bearings, but the belt part unnerved me.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM

I've changed out an alternator, but not one on this car. The alternators I've changed have been on a 1)Audi (ur)S4 2)Toyota Camry (91?) and 3) '93 Honda Accord. It struck me, for each of these in-line engines, to be easier than changing brakes. There's always some trouble manipulating the somewhat heavy alternator into position for the bolts to attach correctly... and, that's about it.

These cars have V-shaped engines though, and it looks like it might require either removing it from the bottom or removing the upper radiator hose to get to it.

"Belt part" - the belt is very easy to remove, loosen (but don't fully remove) the bolt on the idler pulley, and loosen the adjuster. KEEP TRACK OF HOW TIGHT IT WAS! Either count turns on the adjuster or feel the belt or both.

Now, to my situation:
I appear to have over-tightened the adjuster on the idler pulley, in an overzealous attempt to get rid of a belt squeal. This seems to have damaged some bearing. The engine now makes a little noise when cold, and then escalates to a annoying whine when warm. I've replaced the idler pulley (hoping that was the problem), but, that cheap fix didn't fix it.

Initially, after the idler didn't fix it, I saw that there was a pulley that was varying between close and further from the engine... and thought I had killed the main bearing in the engine. I've calmed a bit, and realized I've probably bent the pulley, not damaged that bearing, or bent the crank (seems very unlikely after an hour thinking about it). That being said, I've got 2 other bearings that I need to be concerned about, the AC compressor and the Alternator. The AC hasn't been run much in the last week (since the mal-adjustment), but when it's on the noise doesn't perceptibly change. The sound of the alternator also doesn't change when I put on the rear-defrost and select to raise all 4 windows at once (the most demanding thing I thought of during my ride to work). Can I simply remove the belt and check the side-to-side and back-and-forth play in each? I don't have an extremely-long screwdriver to check for noises with (but, could probably use a pry bar in a pinch). Do the AC and Alternator make different sounds with a damaged bearing? How long have people driven with bad alternator bearings before the smokeout & possible engine fire?

Further:
Alternators, does anyone have a brand that they like or hate? Amazon has the 125 Amp NSA-3205 for $124. I'd rather not spend the $177 on the Bosch (rockauto) if it's no better. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by DanMaxima
Yup. It was the alternator. I had a trusted mechanic install a replacement for me -- at the tune of ~$400 parts+labor iirc (ouch). I couldn't find my manual at the time, and I need a quick turnaround time, so I had them do it. Otherwise, I would have tried replacing the bearings assuming it wouldn't be egregiously difficult for a greenhorn mechanic like myself..
Damn 400 wow that's alot I got a engine whine but they already told me it was the A/C Compressor cause when I turn it on like Damn what the hell is that.....