General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ok, So you like Nissan, You like your gen, but what do u hate that nissan could fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:39 AM

ok, So you like Nissan, You like your gen, but what do u hate that nissan could fix?

Like in your gen that they simply seemed to ignore?

Don't get me wrong I for the most part love Nissan for some pretty sweet cars that also look good and for the most part reliability but there is some thing that could be better especially in older models.

1. For me its RUST then again, I do live in NE so I see more rust then any of u guys. Yes I do have a gen 4 and shes almost 12 years old but it just sucks and the Rad support? What is up with that nissan? I heard my uncle telling about him fixing like 10 rad supports last year on all maximas

I don't think Nissan could of put a better stronger metal then carbon Steel imo? So what could of been done? I would of put a massive strong coating on the rad support because that Cross-member is bolted right in there and if that cracks. Your engine falls inward. (THANKGOD Nissan was smart to put 2 other mounts that can hold the engine so you don't lose it on the highway. lol but it still is something that pains to hear and depending on the condition of those other mounts they could break too(mine are new thankfully)

Also, Does anyone living in NE have rust issues with say a Gen 5 and up?

2. EGR valve... Just wish Nissan fixed this in like 95 but then again I guess no one started to have issues with this tube until like 7-10 years so I suppose nissan wouldn't know about it.

3. How difficult it becomes to diagnose. Maybe this is an OBD2 error but I don't understand how the computer can't tell the diff between a O2 sensor that is faulty over a Knock sensor? I guess this whole time I could have o2 sensor issues and no EGR?

4. Cutting cost in some areas or just a design? I know car companies cut cost around corners but it seems to me that they really try to save money around a few things and what annoys me is when these things break(like a shifter bezel Nissan has them for a whopping $85 bucks? like why? Its plastic and costs like $3 bucks to make if that. I know this is one of the only ways nissan makes money on older cars but...really... I think they should charge like $30-40 for a thing like that. And no more.

that is pretty much it really. other then that I love their cars and reliability and performance as well as looks but it just pains me that simple things like this frown ppl away but I know a ton of cars are a 100x worse especially American cars(least back in the day anyway). lol
Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 PM

theres a "things that **** you off about your Maxima" thread, but otherwise i cant complain about 3rd gens really. my rust was caused by the mudflaps screws but after over a decade in Canadian weather i cant complain. and it seems that the rear doors at the bottom are a common rust spot but all of my rust was easy to fix, other cars like 240sx were known for spoiler/hatch rust which is harder to fix and older Civic hatchbacks had rear bumper rust.

3rd gens still were far ahead of other cars for the time though, and i havent had anyone this year so far follow me home and ask to buy my 3rd gen because of how far ahead they were for their time and how clean mine is
Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 PM

I feel like the OP needs to remember that no matter who you are you cant make metal not rust dude im sure your rad support wasnt that rusty 7yrs ago. its an old car dude stuff breaks and it cost a lot to get the parts cause there are a lot less of them on order than newer models so to fire up the machine or something a long the lines of that it costs more to ship one part than 100 of the same part, im sure you understand that.

my only problems with Nissan is why the crap do they only a CVT on there new "4DSC"
with no 6spd.....this seem contradictory to their marketing plan. just sayin.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Love 4th gens and 5th gens, nissan could have most definately fix the oil burn in the 5.5 gens and the beam suspensions on both gens
Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Love 4th gens and 5th gens, nissan could have most definately fix the oil burn in the 5.5 gens and the beam suspensions on both gens
The oil burning is in the 350z and G's as well, even alot of the 3.7's in the G37 and 370'z are having a oil burning problems as well. No such issues with the old VQ30 and VG30....
Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
The oil burning is in the 350z and G's as well, even alot of the 3.7's in the G37 and 370'z are having a oil burning problems as well. No such issues with the old VQ30 and VG30....
mine is beautiful on oil. It some how stays clean for a while and doesn't start to get lower on oil until like 4 something months later (syn)
Old 04-14-2010, 06:31 PM

Hmm, over all I'm REALLY happy with my 99 ... only two changes I'd have changed in design...
1. - how 'bout a folding rear seat like most other cars of this modern times... (oh yeah - gotta ski pass through - I'm 41 with bad knees - I don't f-in ski no more)...
2. - that tire cover in the trunk - seriously - same crap in the 07 Versa - so this is an across the board issue for Nissan - the tiny spare don't touch the board - so it sinks in making the carpet in the trunk look funky - and anything in your trunk gravitates to this sink hole.... design the spare holder to hold the spare against the cover bottom so it don't sink down... duh.

Other than that - I've got plenty of power for a 4 door car, and I've got a 5MT which makes it fun to drive.

Edit - oh forgot to add - Florida cars - no rust (unless the jack... drove it on the beach....) no winter here - no salted roads FTW.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Strong V6 + mid 20 mpgs + the ability to easily haul 5 plus luggage while killing ricers = love

No fold flat rear seat + sucky standard headlights + expensive parts + premium feul = much dislike...
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM

1. How ugly the interior is

2. how ugly the headlights and tail lights are.

3. front wheel drive

4. slow

5. wannabe luxury car
Old 04-14-2010, 07:46 PM

when i saw the title, the first thing i thought of was the first problem you mentioned.

i also hate the dead axle. wish i had IRS...
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
I feel like the OP needs to remember that no matter who you are you cant make metal not rust dude im sure your rad support wasnt that rusty 7yrs ago. its an old car dude stuff breaks and it cost a lot to get the parts cause there are a lot less of them on order than newer models so to fire up the machine or something a long the lines of that it costs more to ship one part than 100 of the same part, im sure you understand that.
i get what you're saying, it is true, but it's also true that nissan totally skimped out on the radiator supports though; they used a real sub-par metal. about 90% of maximas need it to be replaced a little over 120K
Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM

Why are you guys modding these grocery getters? Just a qustion.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:18 PM

Omg, you are that kind of person who buys 12 beaters a year, revs 6000 rpm before dropping a clutch at every stop sign . You're pissed off because someone with a maxima owned you each and every time you saw him and tried to race him. HAHAHA. You should try one and see how "slow" it is. And it's not just a grocery getter, it's a fast grocery getter.
Oh yeah, you're a hater. Now...:matt93se:
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM

hater? i drive a 2003 Maxima. lol. wow, fail for you.

edit: funny thing is it's the same color and 6 speed just like yours.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM

And you registered to complain ? good job !
Just sell your car instead of talking trash about it
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM

I joined to get some answers on fixing some of the stuff on this car. It's a "hand me down" car so this isn't my choice really. Most of you probably got handed to you by your parents as well so you could understand.

If i wanted something similar of slow but have a lot more potential, i would choose a g35/g37. A real luxury sports car.

Last edited by Fakeluxury; 04-14-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fakeluxury
depends my 3rd gen was $2000, and for that price i could have bought a R32 GTS-T Skyline, RHD RX7, 180sx, RHD 300zx or whatever but i dont want to be like everyone else. i will eventually get my 2 other favorite cars, a R32 GTR and RHD 240z (possibly a S15 Spec-R eventually after theyre available) but i would rather turn a older 4dr sedan into something great rather than have something thats always done.

and i dont freak out about the FWD thing i agree that Nissan would have been smart to keep Maximas RWD or at least make the boxy style gens (1st-3rd) RWD and make 4th-* gens FWD with AWD option but for what i want, someting 300-400hp i'm happy i have no intent to start drifting yet, the horrible 3rd gen understeer doesnt bug me that much.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:47 PM

If i wanted something similar of slow but have a lot more potential, i would choose a g35/g37. A real luxury sports car.
i wouldnt say no if a G37 got offered to me, but again do you know how many young people have G35, G37, and BMW? they all act like dbags too in them
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM

they can be a douche, i agree. but they have more of a right than let's say, the guy above you that posted. I meet douches of every make and model. Have you ever driven the new e92 m3? it will turn you into a douche, trust me. haha.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM

i don't believe in polishing a turd. Money spent could of been saved up for a car that has a better platform in every area.

when is the last time you've seen a maxima in a magazine? no features at all. You will be lucky to see it in the "reader's rides" portion. No maxima winning any type of race events. You can have the fastest maxima and no one would care. So i don't see where you can say you rather make maxima into something great.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 PM

LOL, at least I like my car. Mostly because I obviously know more than you do about your own car, and also the fact that I bought it with my money, not given down.
Which makes you a crybaby. You are given something, and you don't appreciate.
Honestly, STFU.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 PM

i don't believe in polishing a turd. Money spent could of been saved up for a car that has a better platform in every area.

when is the last time you've seen a maxima in a magazine? no features at all. You will be lucky to see it in the "reader's rides" portion. No maxima winning any type of race events. You can have the fastest maxima and no one would care. So i don't see where you can say you rather make maxima into something great.
you have no knowledge whatsoever of the origins of your car. Go in the vendor section. seriously man. you are a *****.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM

ever heard of MaximaGirl? she was in TV segments and IIRC here Maximas were featured in magazines as well.

and ever heard of JoeBoost? 1989 Maxima with a VG30E-T engine making 380hp and 393tq IIRC, widely known because he started by getting sponsored and shown in magazines and started building up the turbo and other crazy stuff with JimWolfTechnology parts himself when everyone else told him what he was doing was near impossible and the chances he would fail were so strong he should quit. Big E Dog as well has a twin turbo 2nd gen, first to go TT. not in magazines because that guy is beyond modest.

and ever heard of NWP engineering? fastest NA Maxima, 3rd gen with a VQ35 running 12's in the quarter mile.

and your idea of saving money for a better platform car is your decision, i have enough money saved towards my 3rd gen to buy a GTS-T Skyline but again, would rather build the 3rd gen. i could go out to the Nissan junkyard by me and probably find a R32 GTR with a blown engine and get it for less than a grand, but again, that will happen later
Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by FrankA33
you have no knowledge whatsoever of the origins of your car. Go in the vendor section. seriously man. you are a *****.
i hope you aren't talking about the vq35de

i'm sorry you drive a maxima. i'm in a bad mood about it a lot as well.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM

sell it for a few grand, buy a 240sx, have some money leftover, profit?

and if we were mad about driving a Maxima we wouldnt be on here
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 PM

hater? i drive a 2003 Maxima. lol. wow, fail for you.

edit: funny thing is it's the same color and 6 speed just like yours.
Bet my Maxima is faster than yours.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:53 PM

i hope you aren't talking about the vq35de

IBhesahondafanboy
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
sell it for a few grand, buy a 240sx, have some money leftover, profit?

and if we were mad about driving a Maxima we wouldnt be on here
he seems to be hot headed, unlike you. lol.

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Bet my Maxima is faster than yours.
hope so, but to everyone else who has a nice car, nobody cares.

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
IBhesahondafanboy
i'm a nissan/infiniti fanboy.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 PM

i'm a nissan/infiniti fanboy.
Well. My Z >>> your G35 dreamcar.

The only reason I like modding my grocery getter is because it's more rewarding to wipe the smug look off of a Mustang or Civic driver's face in a four door sedan than it is in a two door sports car.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 PM

i'm a flaming troll .
Fixed*
Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Well. My Z >>> your G35 dreamcar.

The only reason I like modding my grocery getter is because it's more rewarding to wipe the smug look off of a Mustang or Civic driver's face in a four door sedan than it is in a two door sports car.
Nice, you have a 350z?

i don't think people quite understand. If i had a nice fast car, that was fairly expensive, and raced a maxima and it beat me, do you think it would put me in a bad mood? i could of bought like 12 of the same car and mod it the same way. Nicer things than being fast, that's all i can say.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM

Nice, you have a 350z?

i don't think people quite understand. If i had a nice fast car, that was fairly expensive, and raced a maxima and it beat me, do you think it would put me in a bad mood? i could of bought like 12 of the same car and mod it the same way. Nicer things than being fast, that's all i can say.
Yep. Stock, though.

Honestly, if I had something like a 6.0 GTO and I was outrun by a Maxima or a Civic, I'd be pretty ticked.

I don't see what's wrong with the Maxima. I'd say it's a fairly comfortable vehicle. It has its downfalls (and what sub-30k car doesn't?), but it's not a bad car.

I think it's a great sleeper car for the exact reasons you mentioned. Nobody expects a four door sedan to pack a punch.

Unless you buy a Porsche Panamera or something.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 AM

Okay so you joined a Maxima ENTHUSIAST website and then bash on the Maxima? Wow, you might as well wear the visitor's uniform in the home team section and then bash on the home team to the people around you. Its not a intelligent idea. Or try this little thing called common sense and common courtesy, I hear it is in this season.

To be honest a Maxima to me is like a Prius it doesn't seem like much at first sight but once you drive it and get to find out about all its neat little features and stuff. You will fall in love with it, and some people will not. So go out there and drive your car and get to know it, instead of coming on here to tell people how much you wished you had a 240SX or VTEC or a V8 Mustang.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:04 AM

why did you join? to cry because your dad gave you his car, and you wanted a g35, but since you are a lazy a$$ ****, you rather drive it, than working and getting yourself one?

man seriously, i ask myself why people mod hondas?
they are fwd, 4 cyl, UGLY A$$ cars, and even after all the fart cans, stickers, and tow hooks, they are slow as $hit.

My maxima it's bone stock, sounds really nice, it's sooooo comfortable, i can hear myself talking while inside of the car, cops don't bother me because i'm a "streer RICER" and yet, i can beat the crap out of a honduh....

now if you want to talk about speed, well, that's what i also have a 300zx Twin Turbo, a 20 y/o car that even stock for stock, leaves the 350z and g35 eating dust behind me.

f@*%ing moron...

oh back on topic...
at least on my maxima, i have yet to find something i don't like about it, even tho i'm having issues with the ignition, i understand it's 14 y/o car, and that stuff breaks and all that.
i haven't worked with the engine that much, but for what i've seen, it's fairly easy to get around. i replaced my halfshaft and it was easy as pie (without mentioning the fact that i didn't know you had to remove the 3 bolts holding it, i thought they were part of the shaft, and i pulled like crazy for a good 30 min lol)

Last edited by dr_rabias; 04-15-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree

my only problems with Nissan is why the crap do they only a CVT on there new "4DSC"
with no 6spd.....this seem contradictory to their marketing plan. just sayin.

they dont want someone who doesnt know how to shift make their
car feel jerky to other passengers

i can say this since ive been driving my 91 se 5 mt for 6+ years
and am still on the clutch it came with which was used already
Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

bose audio

for wahtever reason the 6 cd changer scratches cd's as it shuffles them. After being the disc player for a few times the disc is pooched
Old 04-15-2010, 04:36 AM

To annoy trolls.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:43 AM

It's a "hand me down" car so this isn't my choice really.

It is entirely your choice what car you drive. Did Mummy force you to take it?

Why don't you go buy a G37 then, kid, instead of whining?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 AM

No 6MT in the 7th gen or i would buy 1
Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 AM

Honestly, why even come here to bash, when you get handed down an amazing car that you know nothing about. Seems pointless, but since its just a grocery getter, might as well just :matt93se:

Quick Reply: ok, So you like Nissan, You like your gen, but what do u hate that nissan could fix?