General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Current Best Places to Buy Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Current Best Places to Buy Paint?

Hey all,

I picked up a roof spoiler for the Max. I've decided leaving it black with no other black accents on the car is going to look tacky, however.

So. My question is, does anyone know of a good place to pick up Nissan paint, or paint that's extremely close to ours in color? I've got pearl paint, so I need somewhere that can get me the pearl coating, too.

I called my local dealer and got an, "All we carry is little 1.5 oz. touch up bottles." When I asked him about getting say, a pint, his response was, "I have no idea...blah blah blah."

I'd like to paint the spoiler myself...not taking it to a paint shop. There aren't very many reputable shops around here, anyway. Plus, a roof spoiler is good practice, IMO. Not hard to strip down and repaint if I botch it up.

Any help's appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 03-16-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:26 PM

any NAPA paint shops by you? when i did my rust repair Nissan only had the pens, they sent me to the GM dealer saying GM had a good paint facility, GM says WTF are they talking about. NAPA did it within 15 minutes, matched it spot on and had everything. you get a regular size spraycan
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM

I just got a can of KH3 spray can to paint my lip off ebay. worked great.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 PM

chrome, thanks for the heads up. I forgot that NAPA did that. I'll probably go that direction with it.

I'd rather not order off of eBay, mainly because if the can shows up and doesn't quite match, then I have to go through the hassle of contacting the seller, telling him it's the wrong color, shipping back, etc. etc. etc. Too much of a PITA.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 PM

pretty much any auto body paint supply store will be able to match it based on the code if you wanted to go the spray gun route instead of the can route
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 PM

That's actually kind of what I was hoping for. I'd prefer spray gun over rattle can, especially because I'm seriously thinking about pulling and repainting my front bumper this spring, and I'd like to get some practice in before I do so.

If I have to buzz bomb the roof spoiler in the end, not a big deal I suppose. I just want to get the hands-on experience with a spray gun on a more simple to paint piece before I start trying to actually paint body pieces.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 AM

you can paint my lip kit while your at it ......
Old 04-14-2010, 05:22 PM

Since you've already mentioned your preference to type of paint - then I'd suggest ordering from House of Color - they not only can match our paints - but they'll also get your the correct pearl coating and clear coating (our paint is TRI layer = where the the non pearl Arctic White is only 2 layers).