General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why do people block out their license plates in pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:08 PM

this is something that is kinda iffy with me. I live way out where nothing is around, so if somebody REALLY came all that way out to my place, they'd be wasting their time, there's plenty of other nicer cars / stuff for them to jack closer to where they live. and I got an old *** car, the only people who really understand it's value are the people here on the org (and even that's a stretch), and I already know most of the people here that live even remotely near me lol and I doubt any of them would want anything I have lol.... but yes, I see the point, for people who live in a more urban / densely-populated area with nicer stuff than me.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by SteveB123
lol...you saw it in a movie?

Have you actually done it?
done it? no. seen it at the tag agency? yes. guy was getting a few vehicle's info, but most were crappy cars (vw rabbit, olds something-or-other)
Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
You embarrass me.

It's just to be protective of your property. If you want to post your info so potentially if someone wants to steal your car or other stuff, please do so. Go and leave your car doors unlocked too, and be the same e-thug claiming you'll shoot someone. Good plan as opposed to some stupidly simple photoshop.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
and be the same e-thug claiming you'll shoot someone. Good plan as opposed to some stupidly simple photoshop.
mothafking THIS. it gets old when people say they'll bust a cap in someone when it takes 5 seconds to use MS paint to whiteout your plates

Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 AM

Mess with my max and I won't bust one I'll bust a bunch. Make it sound like the forth of July...so if the org lose a member, you know what's up...hahaha
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
It's just to be protective of your property. If you want to post your info so potentially if someone wants to steal your car or other stuff, please do so. Go and leave your car doors unlocked too, and be the same e-thug claiming you'll shoot someone. Good plan as opposed to some stupidly simple photoshop.
I'de know your car if I saw it...and so will the punk who ****** your ****, then your Mr Rationalty puke will be just that...puke. I had my car broken into before. I wish I could white that out and your nonsense along with it.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

while you guys are being flaming douche bags to each other, there is no need for it.
some people here prefer a margin of safety. someone could probably track me down regardless, but I prefer to give less info. I have heard of it happening before.
If you want to jack my ****, you can find a better target. I always try to practice some form of safe browsing; I don't freely give my address, I don't freely give my card numbers out.
I also am not so paranoid that I don't have internet access, I enjoy being e-social.
some people are confident in their safety (and property) enough to allow their plates to be posted. I try not to.
I do the same thing when I sell stuff on craigslist. I don't give my address to people I am selling to, or buying from.
I don't post my phone numbers, or regular email address.
again, it's not that my stuff is worthwhile for someone else to jack, I just want to maintain some privacy, that is all.

and that is just simply a personal preference.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM

^^^ Words of wisdom!

And Agustus I know you are joking around, but don't talk about killing people and killing .Org members... because we just had a member passed away and its not funny.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
^^^ Words of wisdom!

And Agustus I know you are joking around, but don't talk about killing people and killing .Org members... because we just had a member passed away and its not funny.
I'm not shooting nobody, I don't even own a pistol...but those who consciously choose to go robbing and stealing other peoples **** should get a cap up they ****.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:18 AM

^^^ Agree with you all the way hahahaha
Old 01-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Could someone please locate a single case that involved a person looking at someones license plate via a internet forum, then getting the address, then robbing them?

Bunch of paranoid people in here. I don't even think crooks waste their time. Seriously, who looks at a picture in a forum and says, "dayum, I want dat doods Ipod yo, lemme get is plate digits, go down 2 da DMV, pull records for dat crap, and ****** dat ipod up dawg."
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM

^^ Quite posible one the funniest things i'v read on here. Thanks and I agree with you. ^^
Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 AM

I dont block my plate. Of course with most cars I dont even lock my doors so Im obviously not paranoid of someone stealing my car.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Bunch of paranoid people in here. I don't even think crooks waste their time. Seriously, who looks at a picture in a forum and says, "dayum, I want dat doods Ipod yo, lemme get is plate digits, go down 2 da DMV, pull records for dat crap, and ****** dat ipod up dawg."
^^^^sooo trueee. people, no one is going to steal your maxima or anything in it cause you post your car with plate#. i dont think anyone has been robbed or broken into because of the internet. someone broke into ur car and took your stereo system because your driving around town bumping your music loudly...
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Why is this even an issue?

Don't want to block your plate? Then don't!
Other people choose to block their plates? How could it possibly effect you?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Yeah you have a good point, everyone has a personal opinion. Some people including myself wouldn't want to give out a piece of info about them to the world wide web. But others couldn't care less and that is okay too.

I just look at it this way, you wouldn't want to post your phone number online, or your address, or your social security number on a public place like this. But there have been cases of online predators who actually FOUND people and where they live just by looking at people's myspace pictures. Like if they took a photo of them self at a public place such as the Everett mall, then it is narrowed down to the city of Everett. Then another photo was taken in front of a house and judging by the design of the house you could most likely track it down to a specific neighborhood since in most neighborhoods use the same house design for every house. Then another picture was taken with part of the neighborhood logo/sign showing... so you google maps the part that you see, and you filter out everything not in Everett and you have just become dangerously close to your prey then with the plate numbers you just sit there and wait in the general area until you see a car with the same plate and BAM. But this was taught to me by the school "internet safety" people since back then it was supposedly so bad that they had to drill it into our minds with those monthly assemblies.

But still I doubt anyone would go through that kind of work unless you were planning to steal a car as nice as Wizard's car or something haha

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 01-18-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Just imagine if you had a GT-R and you had gone to a track and taken a picture of your plate and posted your "Track Day video" to youtube. Well, I'm sure Nissan would like to know about your Track Day as it could void the warranty.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM

I'll be willin to take the sacrifice to be the end all be all, but It has to be somebody who I know, PM me.

Last edited by aackshun; 01-18-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Xservice0183
Just imagine if you had a GT-R and you had gone to a track and taken a picture of your plate and posted your "Track Day video" to youtube. Well, I'm sure Nissan would like to know about your Track Day as it could void the warranty.
something similar to this actually happened, a guy posted a vid on YouTube of him in his S13 i believe drifting on a city road (not one or two corners, as in all out) and he didnt blur his license plate and he actually got arrested or a huge fine for it, one of the two.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Xservice0183
I'de be more worried about the GPS equipped vehicles.......I'm sure Nissan and scouring Youtube looking for GT-R's at the track....and i'm sure if the person could afford the GTR to begin with, they could give a f about warranty.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM

They don;t want a summons.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Well, in videos it's for obvious reason because ALOT of the cars on here can be found out on the roads on youtube clearly racing in "mexico". Plates are used to Identify the owner of the car, where it's registered, etc etc. Alot can be found. It's mainly security reasons imo..

For example, we have theives on here. They see a nicely modded maxima. Okay, some of you may think well if it's modded it's surely got security on it right? Wrong. By simply showing people what car you drive, and exposing your plate to a theif. That makes locating your house (where they can assume you have money, hence the car you're driving) and well, your car will be the least of your concerns. Now some of you will say "well either way they'll see your car on the road". True, but if you can slightly keep yourself and your belongings protected, even by the slightest chance, do it.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM

cause my whereabout is unknown
cause my psycho gf's plate spells ROADKILL ???
Old 01-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Could someone please locate a single case that involved a person looking at someones license plate via a internet forum, then getting the address, then robbing them?

Well see. You are in Oklahoma. Things are different I guess down there. However, places like NYC where 4th gens are on the top 10 most stolen list for 2009....Things are different over here. Any "thief" who is looking to steal a car can hop on a local forum such as nycmaximas.org and look through the galleries and can find out info about a specific car. We also have many local meets throughout the year. A thief can attend a meet and see what he wants. This is one reason why nycmaximas does not allow "sightings" threads anymore. Cars were getting stolen as soon as they were sighted on the forums. Yes there is a personal reason for everyone to either show or not show their plates. Maybe crooks wouldn't go to the extent to what you say in your post about going to the DMV, etc. in Oklahoma, but in places like NYC, it's a totally different story.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by nismomaxgtr18
Well see. You are in Oklahoma. Things are different I guess down there. However, places like NYC where 4th gens are on the top 10 most stolen list for 2009....Things are different over here. Any "thief" who is looking to steal a car can hop on a local forum such as nycmaximas.org and look through the galleries and can find out info about a specific car. We also have many local meets throughout the year. A thief can attend a meet and see what he wants. This is one reason why nycmaximas does not allow "sightings" threads anymore. Cars were getting stolen as soon as they were sighted on the forums. Yes there is a personal reason for everyone to either show or not show their plates. Maybe crooks wouldn't go to the extent to what you say in your post about going to the DMV, etc. in Oklahoma, but in places like NYC, it's a totally different story.

this has happened on the cupcake meet forum down here in Texas last year. somebody went to a meet, wrote down a few plate #s, then went to the DMV, got the address, cased it a few times, then came back and stole at least 2 different cars that I can think of right off hand. the targets were both swapped / built up hondas I think. one of them was found by the owner in the dallas impound yard STRIPPED DOWN TO SHELL. so yes, this is a VERY real situation that happens.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM

It's a Privacy thing for me. A license plate can get a thief right to my front door, not good for him or the situation it would put me in.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 82maxtx
this has happened on the cupcake meet forum down here in Texas last year. somebody went to a meet, wrote down a few plate #s, then went to the DMV, got the address, cased it a few times, then came back and stole at least 2 different cars that I can think of right off hand. the targets were both swapped / built up hondas I think. one of them was found by the owner in the dallas impound yard STRIPPED DOWN TO SHELL. so yes, this is a VERY real situation that happens.
same crap happens here, people will get your plate, and especially if you have a body kit they will get your address and when youre parked outside they will steal your body kit. some dude actually took a Civics full body kit in broad daylight at a mall here
Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 82maxtx
Exactly. Some people just don't get it??
Old 01-22-2010, 02:41 PM

Lies. You are basing this BS on assumption and not facts.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM

This is one reason why nycmaximas does not allow "sightings" threads anymore. Cars were getting stolen as soon as they were sighted on the forums. Yes there is a personal reason for everyone to either show or not show their plates. Maybe crooks wouldn't go to the extent to what you say in your post about going to the DMV, etc. in Oklahoma, but in places like NYC, it's a totally different story.
What part of that is an assumption? It is a fact that there were cars stolen after meets and after "sighting" threads being posted.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I fail to see why you guys care so much about what I do to my pictures.

unless you have ill intent to my (or another persons) property, why do you all care so much?
we have listed our reasons why, and you act like we are insane. regadless of our distance from reality, we do what we do, and it isn't hurting you.

I am done with this thread, and if you don't want another person's stuff, you will be, too
Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I fail to see why you guys care so much about what I do to my pictures.

unless you have ill intent to my (or another persons) property, why do you all care so much?
we have listed our reasons why, and you act like we are insane. regadless of our distance from reality, we do what we do, and it isn't hurting you.

I am done with this thread, and if you don't want another person's stuff, you will be, too
+1. My last response in this thread as well.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 PM

Old 01-23-2010, 06:29 AM

What part of that is an assumption? It is a fact that there were cars stolen after meets and after "sighting" threads being posted.
No, please show me reports from either police or the criminal. What you are saying is still assumptions.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 AM

I agree with VQPOWER. And, what kind of DMV is going to give out personal information to just anyone. I deal with DMV several times a month and here in Florida they don't do that. One might be able to get info on another person, but not through DMV.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM

No, please show me reports from either police or the criminal.

Please show me how other people blocking their plates affects you.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Please show me how other people blocking their plates affects you.
It makes it harder to steal other people's parts

I mean you could basically do the exact same thing by pretending to nice and befriend someone on here and get enough trust from your victim to get them to tell you something like where you keep your wheel lock keys, and possibly even your address and then come and steal whatever they want while pretending to be the caring friend.

Or you can sell some random crap on the FOR SALE section and then get people's addresseswhen you are shipping things out, but instead of shipping something out you send them a little something extra... YOURSELF!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:04 PM
SuPeRmOd

start a thread where you post your pics and mods listed with license plate visible encouraging others to do so and let's see if anything happens?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
start a thread where you post your pics and mods listed with license plate visible encouraging others to do so and let's see if anything happens?
this.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
this.
This is kind of random and I started thinking about this after this thread... do you guys keep your wallets in your car? And is it a bad idea, even if you keep it locked in the glove box?

When i go to school I usually just keep my wallet in my locked glove box, because I usually have to sit for hours and hours on end (I go to school from 1PM to 8PM) and I don't like carrying my wallet around because I might drop it or whatever but this thread has got me thinking about what if someone breaks into my car And I would like to think that carrying it in my backpack would be a better alternative but when I head down to the shop I have to leave my backpack somewhere that I cannot keep an eye on it all the time and so...

Quick Reply: Why do people block out their license plates in pictures