General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How did you guys get to where you are now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:10 PM

How did you guys get to where you are now?

I had a 95 Nissan Altima that got totalled in an accident. I really really miss that car (it was my mom's before, she bought it from someone in 95 I believe at 15,000 miles and when I got into the wreck, it had around 177k miles on it). Never gave any major trouble or anything. Anyways...I got a 97 Maxima GXE from a person that lives in our neighborhood that was selling his. I'm not gonna lie, it's no where near as perfect in condition as my ex-car but it runs fine (gotta fix some ****, oil leak, etc.). Anyways...I've asked some really basic questions I guess in the 4th gen forum and gotten some comments implying I'm stupid, etc. lol. How did you guys get to where you are now? I mean I see a lot of you cleaning throttle body's, installing engines, transmissions? Did you start out at a time when you didn't know much? And just worked on your own car a lot and that's how you learned? Or you are automotive engineers or somethin? lol
Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by tarun900
Did you start out at a time when you didn't know much?
No we were born into the world knowing how to work on a car. Stupid question.

And just worked on your own car a lot and that's how you learned?
Yes.

Or you are automotive engineers or somethin? lol
No. I'm not anyway.

Everyone was a beginner at some point. Some people learned growing up around their dad, others have friends that worked on cars and they picked it up. Nobody was born into the world with a knowledge of how to work on a car. It's something you learn by getting your fingers dirty.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jman7777
Everyone was a beginner at some point. Some people learned growing up around their dad, others have friends that worked on cars and they picked it up. Nobody was born into the world with a knowledge of how to work on a car. It's something you learn by getting your fingers dirty.
i was actually born with the knowledge of how to overhaul an engine
Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 PM

Yes, I know you aren't born into the world knowing car information. Please don't treat me like an idiot....I meant it appears a lot of people know so much I'm assuming because they started at a very young age? I'm 17 right now, and I'm hoping to learn as much as possible.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM

I have been around cars my whole life. I am currently taking ase classes to be ase master certified that inclueds my l1 test.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:49 PM

i actually started when i was 21 (i'm 24 now) when i had my 1997 ponticrap grand am.. there would always be a new problem with that damn thing, and i'll never forget the first time i took my car to the mechanic for something and i paid him over $100 to do something very simple.. and i was like "that's it? ****, i could have done that myself and saved myself some money!" so ever since then i've been learning through reading, working on my own car, and different cars as well.. so far, i've changed the oil on 12 different cars for my family and friends, and the brakes on 4 differenct cars i believe... i'm still trying to increase that number so i can gain as much experience as possible

Last edited by wyche89; 01-23-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 PM

I grew up around it. My father and uncle were both mechanics at one time or another and a friend of my fathers' was a crew chief on a stock car team. I was taught how to do minor tune-ups early on and even helped rebuild engines by age 13 (yes, turn wrenches and lash valves not just "help"). By 17 I had built my own car for drag racing. But that was when cars were simple, I started on 60's and early 70's cars no electronics.

All it really takes is a desire to learn, a willingness to admit that you don't know something, the courage to make mistakes, and enough curiousity to try. I think that is where all of started at one point.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
MaXXiN

I've always been around my uncle that worked on cars so I picked up a few things from him....when I graduated HS i worked at a shop after school...learned a lotttaaaa things... then I stopped doing that I just worked on my own car a lottt... when I couldn't figure something out I would just go online and look it up...it wasnt until recently that I joined this forum and the NYCMaximas forum and there are a lot of DIY write ups that are extremely helpful...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 PM

For me it was just trial and error and learning from research and reading on the internet. I have never had a fear with working on my car except for my sub woofer install. Ive done clutch, nitrous (3 times), brakes, exhaust, all from learning and reading on the org.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kzoosho
I have been around cars my whole life. I am currently taking ase classes to be ase master certified that inclueds my l1 test.
Ha, screw L1.

I'm actually taking my last A on Saturday (A7, which I've failed twice...I hate this section). After that, CMAT.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
i was actually born with the knowledge of how to overhaul an engine
that makes two of us

I got the maxima as my first car passed down from my dad (bought it new in 97, just recently moved to a TSX) at 16, I'm 18 now. I really got my start in 06 by finding and joining this site in search of what all newbs are in search of: boost! After my first dumb thread, I sat back and read and figured out what I could do. I've taught myself what I know through teh internetz! Right now I have y-pipe, catback, headunit, and a couple other little things. Obviously since this is my first car I'm not planning much more probably. So thanks maxima.org!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

logic, reasoning, tinkering, taking things apart, figuring out or knowing how things work, more logic
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM

just tinker with something, start with some simple stuff ie brakes, intake, exhaust, do ur own fluid changes(oil, brake, coolant, tranny, Powersteering), thats usually what most people on here do anyway now if U want to go any further Ur going to need to do research especially be carefully around Ur suspension dont want to have Ur wheels falling off, but these I guess would be the considered basics, lol and 4th gen guys are a bunch of cheap a$$holes like myself who are just stubborn dont pay them much attention j/k

Another thing stickies answer alot of question, check them first if Ur question can be answered and U ask anyway U will be flamed alive. here is some advice for u go right now and read over the 4th gen stickies if U dont find something U want to do to Ur car with in the next week or so then I dunno..........
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM

honestly. i think some people are born with a knack for this $hit, and some people are not (ie, me) i'm really good at music, singing, playing guitar, but i would rather pay somone to do this **** for me as i don't have room for mistakes. i, am not rich and cant afford costly mistakes, so between my tech and what i know about cars i manage pretty well. i will do simple stuff, but leave the bulk of the repairs to my mechanic.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM

This thread made me think of my first Nissan. 5 Speed manual 95 Maxima. Bought in 99 with 44,000. Died (electrical) 2007 with 249,821. Mechanically the car was sound through all of its life. Nothing above maintenance. I wonder where she is now?? Probably still running with new, non-rat chewed electrical.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
logic, reasoning, tinkering, taking things apart, figuring out or knowing how things work, more logic
and some studying /researching on the org....
Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 AM

already ase master certified ^^
Old 01-24-2008, 05:35 PM

Passion and persistence. Applies to almost anything in life. No passion or persistence with your car? Take it to a mechanic. If you don't want to learn, or it's over your head, then you obviously don't care enough to apply yourself. There's nothing you can't do in life, so why not find out where your boundaries are?

As with anything, immerse yourself in the subject. Read lots, participate in discussions, seek mentors and professionals, associate with those who know what they're doing. Never be ashamed to admit you're a n00b, cuz in a way we all are, tho some wouldn't like to admit. Stick with it, you'll get it. But for sure, do not "fake it till you make it", cuz you can really screw up your car if u fake something u can't later fix. LOL.

First place to start, get the factory service manual and first read whatever interests u.

Dr J
Old 01-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Sold

the big key is to read. So you want to do your suspension for example.
There are so many variables on what spring to choose, coil-overs, what shocks and struts etc.

You make your decision and purchase stuff. Now it's time for the install. Make sure you read everything you can. Re-read everything you can. GET THE PROPER TOOLS.
Nothing sucks more than needing a spring compressor and you can't get it because the rental is not in stock at the parts store.
Your going to make mistakes along the way, just use patience and caution. Bolt heads round out and you can purchase them from the dealer. crap happens. Most of the stuff that people do to their cars is really easy you just need to read.

Anything you want or become unsure of, just ask. Better to go into a job prepared than not.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Offset Is Everything.

i like cars?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:58 AM

If you don't ready have one, make friend with people from your school or neighborhood, who knows cars. Watch them working on their cars and learn. Be willing to get your hand dirty, begin with the basic car maintenance stuff first. Make sure to learn how to work with cars safely (don't want it to fall on any parts of your body). I think there are some high schools that offer course in basic automotive repair; may want to consider taking it. Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:37 AM
wants an I35

as a fellow noob whos been flamed plenty, dont let it bother you.
6 months ago i didnt know **** about cars. before that i had only done oil changes on my 93 SE and swapped rotors once when i was drunk.

im no guru now, but after half a year of asking annoying questions 3 or 4 times ive learned quite a bit (hence the donation). to date, ive done spark plugs, knock sensor, brakes/rotors, fuel filter + throttle body (with help from MOHFpro), debadged my car+removed pinstripe and various other cosmetic things.

i still dont proclaim to know a lot, and im still hesitant to tackle things like dropping the tranny pan without someone there to at least watch what im doing, but there is a lot of really easy preventative maintenance stuff you can get started on.
i cant tell you how many of the things that i ended up doing i was anxious about starting myself. what ive learned is that these things are pretty hard to **** up - just follow the directions, however vague they are, and use a little logic and everything will work out.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I can has?

My Dad and my Crazy Uncle (Who isn't much help) were both somewhat car crazy when they were young, and my uncle was a certified mechanic. Though my dad, once he hit a certain age always had his cars serviced at shops and I could see he was getting screwed over by not keeping up with modern times.

I got my maxima in June of 2006, though I've loved it since I was six when my dad bought it. I gained knowledge by reading up on maxima.org and tinkering around in the Haynes manual I had. After figuring out obvious differences I bought a 1993 SE (VE) and I've had that for just over a year. It's come a very long way since I've had it, it was running 0-60 in about 11 seconds upon purchasing it. After that It's had a handful of mods all done by myself (except for welding) thorough cleanings of the intake system, throttle body, IAC, MAF, New Plugs, Filters, CTS sensor, sunroof fix, complete new audio system + wiring done by me, etc. etc.

If you have the will to learn and don't like being ripped off, are somewhat sensible and have logic. Nothing is too tricky if you get handy with a set of tools and a little guidance.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Though my dad, once he hit a certain age always had his cars serviced at shops and I could see he was getting screwed over by not keeping up with modern times.
I reached that point in life too... I found that I make more money in the time it takes to repair my car, than it costs to pay someone to do it. I trust my mechanic, he's never messed up once, and very reasonable in prices. I do my own diagnosis, check out the FSM, and let him know what I think he should do.

I still enjoy tinkering w/my car once in a while. Oil changes, tire rotations, spark plugs, air filters... simple things so I can KIT and know what's going on.

So maybe your answer is to make more money, and develop a good relationship w/a mechanic or trustworthy friend, so you can have someone else work on your car for you.

Dr J
Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Ive always liked cars since I was little. My mom said I knew pretty much the name of any car (almost) when I was 4. My dad bought his bosses 88 maxima for me for 2k. Nice ride. I was more into the Hondas and wanted one. After stumbling here before there was a 1st/2nd gen forum in 99, and lurking, I joined in 2k and helped get the 1st/2nd gen forum up and was into the little upgrades I could do to my car. My 88 was the platform for me to learn even more than what I knew about cars and play around on fixing things on my own. After starting the Stone Mountain meets in Atlanta I wanted a newer car and I knew Id one day own a 4th gen. Stocks helped me get this one in 2005 as well as modify it. It was my own Christmas present. I kinda wish I had paid it off instead of mod it right off the bat. I plan to have it paid off this year though. Then more modding will continue. Whenever I tackle a new job or obstacle I try to relate some ways of learning to how I learned about cars.

Last edited by max95q; 01-25-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

I drove where I'm at in my Maxima.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:56 PM
fast2002

i took a train

Old 01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Banned

the only reason i know anything is cuz i just fix everything myself. it's really not that hard. you learn as you go along. a haynes and a will is all you need. reading some automotive books from a tech high school can help you if you want to learn alot about cars in general...
Old 01-25-2008, 03:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

I did all my learning on here.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:25 PM
fast2002

i learned most of what i know from working on SBC's, but now im here and learning a lot about DOHC engines and other, more technologically advanced engine systems

Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by fast2002
i learned most of what i know from working on SBC's, but now im here and learning a lot about DOHC engines and other, more technologically advanced engine systems
does that mean?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
MAXIN' ON

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I did all my learning on here.
So when you pull out all those crazy specs about engine blocks,piston etc.. was all learned on here! Impressive.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Not directly on here but as a result of 'here'. Different members etc.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM
MAXIN' ON

My bookmarks have increased since getting my max and finding this place.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by redls1
My bookmarks have increased since getting my max and finding this place.
You’re the coolest evAr.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM
fast2002

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
does that mean?
i mean non pushrod, cvtc, etc.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

I know, just busting your chops.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Conecarver

I for one learned most of what I know here on the .org, trial & error, and lots of help from the internet, Haynes, and FSMs. 10yrs ago all I knew was air & oil filter changes, never even a single shop class in H.S and my dad knew squat. Read lots of car mags and started getting ideas. Think my clear corners or shift **** were my first mods. Now I've got about 12" thick of files on the Max. Lots of mistakes doing things on cheap then re-doing the right way later on for 2.5x the cost. That's nothing compared with well over 2000hrs spent learning so far.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM

I've just started, and I've filled my Haynes manual to about 1.5x its normal thickness with printouts of tutorials, specs, etc.

So far to go, but this place is a wealth of information, and a great community to learn in.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM

I think it has to do with the interest of taking something apart, learning how it works and reassembling it..
according to my folks, I was doing that with all my toys at a young age ( dad always yelled at me for taking his screw drivers) hahaha
then later, the first car I actually tinkered/took apart was my 89 Honda Accord..
the interest in cars, modification and having friends who shared the same passion helped..
later on in the years, when internet became "big" I've discovered many source of information that helps me do what I need to do on a car..

but like many have said, as long as you aren't afraid of getting yourself a little dirty and have a sense or organisation, then you should be able to pick it up in no time..

start with basics.. and then move up to more difficult tasks..
it's all a question if you want to learn or not..
but the right toold does make tasks easier

Quick Reply: How did you guys get to where you are now?