General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: What problems has your tranny had?
Needed a complely rebuilt transmission
18.91%
Is suffering from bearing failure
16.36%
Is positively suffering from another failure, but no total rebuild needed
2.55%
Suspect problem (leak, noise, shavings)
21.09%
No problems
41.09%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

So how many here have or suspect 5 speed transmission problems on 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Me too. My 98SE has 120k miles and I'm STILL running on the original clutch

DW

Originally posted by tomj
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a '98. I take it to redline ALL the time and have had zero problems. I'm close to 70k miles now.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:02 AM

well , i stripped 3rd gear in my first tranny yet the fluid came out gold and relatively clean till the particles that had settled started to pour out , since i put this tranny in (myself) ive changed the fluid 4 times and its always milky grey leading me to believe its chewing itself to bits. it only lasted 2k and one month before it started to leak like a beatch. btw the trannt that was put in was a 96 ! and it had about 60k on it according to screaminfast
-pete
Old 01-08-2002, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Me too. My 98SE has 120k miles and I'm STILL running on the original clutch

DW

Well, I hope 98's don't have as many problems
Old 01-08-2002, 07:49 AM

after extensive research over the past few months ive found only a small lead. The fluid in our trannies must be GL-4 fluid the newer gl-5 and now gl-6 have more detergents that can corrode the copper or brass, (i forget) parts in the syncros in our trannies. My suggestions are, clean your tranny with brake fluid every few weeks and let it sit and check for leaks, when you pull out of a spot at your favorite restaurant look for fluid. if u find fluid pull your halfshafts and change your seals, they are under 10 bucks a piece.
in the 5th generation maximas i read that 3rd gear and 5th gear were strengthened. in 2000 altimas the tranny is the same case as ours but has a lower first second and third gear. i have yet to see if they are compatible. most of this i read at http://www.motorvate.ca its a fantastic site check it our
-pete
Old 01-08-2002, 08:35 AM

You can go one better and get Red-Line MT-90. It's synthetic GL-4 tranny fluid. It is THE BOMB!

DW

Originally posted by MaxSE98
after extensive research over the past few months ive found only a small lead. The fluid in our trannies must be GL-4 fluid the newer gl-5 and now gl-6 have more detergents that can corrode the copper or brass, (i forget) parts in the syncros in our trannies. My suggestions are, clean your tranny with brake fluid every few weeks and let it sit and check for leaks, when you pull out of a spot at your favorite restaurant look for fluid. if u find fluid pull your halfshafts and change your seals, they are under 10 bucks a piece.
in the 5th generation maximas i read that 3rd gear and 5th gear were strengthened. in 2000 altimas the tranny is the same case as ours but has a lower first second and third gear. i have yet to see if they are compatible. most of this i read at http://www.motorvate.ca its a fantastic site check it our
-pete
Old 01-08-2002, 10:36 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

in 2000 altimas the tranny is the same case as ours but has a lower first second and third gear. i have yet to see if they are compatible. most of this i read at http://www.motorvate.ca its a fantastic site check it our
-pete

Hmmm....a 4th gen would react very well to lower gears in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Dave
Old 01-08-2002, 12:10 PM

Could the 2000 Altima tranny handle the extra power???

-pete
Correct me if I'm wrong but 2000 Altima's all came with 4cylinder powerplants and I dont think that tranny can handle the additional power that the VQ's 6 cylinder makes. And I've already been told that the 5th gen trannies have a rod action whereas the 4thgen's are cable operated, and they wont bolt up to the 4thgen VQ. I flirted with the idea of using a 5thgen tranny when the 2002 came out with the 6 speed but evreyone around here shut me down on the idea. If the 2000 Altima tranny can handle the 4th gen's VQ then that may be the tranny swap for 4th gens. Anyone know if the Altimas trannies had any inherent weaknesses. I know Stillen campaigned an Altima for a shortwhile in some form of racing, maybe he'll know something.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:39 PM

Huh?

The 4th gen 5pseeds have a rod shifter.

The new 2002 Max SE 6 speed has a cable shifter.

The new Altima, if equipped with the V-6, will obviously have a 5 speed tranny mounted to it that can handle the torque. Nissan's been making 5 speed trannies for the torque meister VQ ever since 1995. I think they got it covered.

Flirting with the idea of using the 5th gen 5 speed INSTEAD of the new 5th gen 6 speed?? Why in the world?

DW

Originally posted by 2ndMAX

Correct me if I'm wrong but 2000 Altima's all came with 4cylinder powerplants and I dont think that tranny can handle the additional power that the VQ's 6 cylinder makes. And I've already been told that the 5th gen trannies have a rod action whereas the 4thgen's are cable operated, and they wont bolt up to the 4thgen VQ. I flirted with the idea of using a 5thgen tranny when the 2002 came out with the 6 speed but evreyone around here shut me down on the idea. If the 2000 Altima tranny can handle the 4th gen's VQ then that may be the tranny swap for 4th gens. Anyone know if the Altimas trannies had any inherent weaknesses. I know Stillen campaigned an Altima for a shortwhile in some form of racing, maybe he'll know something.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:13 PM
Granny Driven

if u find fluid pull your halfshafts and change your seals, they are under 10 bucks a piece.

-pete
How expensive is it to change the seals?
Old 01-08-2002, 02:52 PM

having put a tranny myself ill tell you 4th gens are not cable. the model numbers on the trannies are the same. a tranny is a tranny whether its mated to a 6 cyl a 4 or an 8. 300zx's use a t-5 , so do mustang 5.0's. you need to select people to listen to on this forum. half of them dont know what they are talking about. the 6 speed may not work , that i dont know but i know that tons of good ideas are shot down and thats why theres barely any developments for maximas. i know for a fact that the 2k maxima tranny was beefed up and that the serial numbers are the same. back in the day the stanza and the 810 shared their manual transmission and those are two very different cars. i just had someone offer me 10 for my car, shows you how much people really know around here. if anyones interested in a car that hasnt been crashed has a good title and has been taken care of accordingly, let me know
-pete
Old 03-01-2002, 03:16 PM

Sorry to bring back the thread but My bearings seem to have problems, but thank God it is only the bearings you know, at least the whole tranny doesn't go
Old 03-01-2002, 03:38 PM

well if yer bearings go its almost as bad as having the whole tranny go because it has to come out, if u want any more info on this shoot me a mail, im putting in yet another tranny this week -pete
Old 03-28-2002, 02:26 PM

We have "unusual" trannies on our early 4th gens

I can't remember the exact magazines (Car & Driver, MotorTrend maybe), but several of them test drove the 4th Gen when it first appeared in late '94. Many many good comments. One or two negatives. The only negative I remember hearing that I thought held true was the behavior of the 5 speed.

Two of the magazines had both commented that the clutch action was very touchy, making the drivers feel like they were learning how to shift all over again. Was it a design flaw? Was the engine just too powerful for the transmission? Nissan had no comment.

I agreed, slightly. I had been shifting for well over 15 years when I bought my Maxima, and I felt like the clutch engagement range was noticeably narrower than I'd ever experienced on other cars. I did talk to the dealer about it, and they said there wasn't any adjustment possible to compensate. But I got used to it. Sometimes on cold mornings when I was "dragging" my feet a little, I'd stall out. It happened so rarely that I just ignored it.

Now that I'm at 110k miles, I have a little trouble making a smooth engagement when the transmission is bone cold. I'll get choppiness from the clutch plate or the car will lerch a bit. And if I'm punching the accelerator while shifting a little too early, I get a little slippage. But that's to be expected from a transmission with this much mileage on it. Once the transmission has warmed up, the engagement is always fine.

QUESTION:
The only problem I seem to have now with the transmission, is downshifting into first. If I do it at higher than 5mph, I will get grinding. Didn't start happening until about a year ago. I have to come to nearly a full stop. Anyone know what the source of the problem is? Do you think the clutch is near the end of its life?
Old 03-28-2002, 02:44 PM

Re: We have "unusual" trannies on our early 4th gens

Sounds like your 1st gear synchro is weakening. Even though you can't reverse the wear on it, you may be able to prolong it's life by using Redline MT-90 if you don't have it already. MT-90 feels very synchro friendly. When I switched to MT-90 I could put it in 1st from even 10 mph! It's some slippery stuff.

DW

Originally posted by Gary95
QUESTION:
The only problem I seem to have now with the transmission, is downshifting into first. If I do it at higher than 5mph, I will get grinding. Didn't start happening until about a year ago. I have to come to nearly a full stop. Anyone know what the source of the problem is? Do you think the clutch is near the end of its life?
Old 03-28-2002, 04:56 PM

Re: We have "unusual" trannies on our early 4th gens

When I was looking at 95-96 Maximas in 97 Consumer Reports rated Maxima above average on everything except crash worthiness and clutch/tranny. At the time I couldn't find any more info on the subject, but it looks like that magazine turns out to be fairly objective and accurate.

I believe all 98's leaked from the reverse switch, that's a known problem as is the oil p switch, fuel sender, power brake check valve, side air bags. It's a ***** finding all these things before the warranty expires. Dealers are very happy to charge for these things, you have to let them assume over the phone you're out of warranty. When they find out you're covered they're like DOH!
Old 03-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Transmission

I had my transmission go out at 110,000 miles. I don't know if it was bearing failure or what. I was backing out of my parking spot and heard a loud "clank" "clank." The car wouldn't go in gear at all. I ended up getting a used tranny with 30,000 miles on it. I have also gone through twwo clutches already now on my third. I'm sure it has something to do with the way I drive. I take it to redline several times a day and frequently peel in second. I do know how to shift properly, I think the tranny just got worn out. I now have 160,000 miles and the transmission has been fine since I replaced it. Btw my Max is a 95.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:28 PM

Re: Transmission

Originally posted by MAXINXS
I had my transmission go out at 110,000 miles. I don't know if it was bearing failure or what. I was backing out of my parking spot and heard a loud "clank" "clank." The car wouldn't go in gear at all. I ended up getting a used tranny with 30,000 miles on it. I have also gone through twwo clutches already now on my third. I'm sure it has something to do with the way I drive. I take it to redline several times a day and frequently peel in second. I do know how to shift properly, I think the tranny just got worn out. I now have 160,000 miles and the transmission has been fine since I replaced it. Btw my Max is a 95.
Seriously, we believe you know how to shift. My car had chatter going 4th to 3rd at 2,000 miles. The dealer told me it's normal. I didn't notice it until about 26,000, but there is a whirring sound in R. Seeing posts about clutch replacemnts at 90k bother me. Oh well, maybe my friend in Jersey will help me pull the tranny and do it. I haven't got the garage. If it costs say $350 and our time, and the chatter and whirs are gone, it'd be worth it.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:55 PM

Re: So how many here have or suspect 5 speed transmission problems on 4th gen?

I had the nefarious failed differential bearings. When the diff went out, it took a driveshaft with it. The brand new transmission, now with 13,000 miles, is rougher shifting than the old one ever was, even though I'm using Redline now.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by d_98SE
I thought medicsonic addressed you properly in the last thread on the same topic.

I for one have a 5sp and i don't tend to abuse it like some of us here.

I have no problems at all and i think you wouldn't too if you had kept of those 5000rpm launches.

Hmmph. I've never done a 5k launch. The one time I went to the drag strip my hottest was 3k. I tend to drive hard on back roads, so I like autocrossing, but I don't do that much either. My trani still died a horrible death. It's only the second trani I've killed in 30 years of hard driving many different cars. The first was on my old 240Z! That was a botched rebuild on the car before I bought it, and it died within a week.

Two tranis in 30 years, both from the same company; the only two I've owned from this company. Coincidence? I've owned an MGB, 2 V6 Alfa Romeos, several Toyota, Ford and GM trucks (all but one 4x4 or AWD) and a Ford SHO. I'm closing in on a million miles of driving by now (averaging over 30k miles/year for 31 years of driving), so these trani failures really stand out.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong

I'm really looking forwards to a car with no wheel hop once I put in the PR motor mounts. Hopefully vibration will be tolerable...
The vibration isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Like many mods on my car, at first they were rough but then settled in. I only noticed a bit of roughness at idle, and I adjusted the idle about 150 rpm and now the car is smooth again.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

Hmmph. I've never done a 5k launch. The one time I went to the drag strip my hottest was 3k. I tend to drive hard on back roads, so I like autocrossing, but I don't do that much either. My trani still died a horrible death. It's only the second trani I've killed in 30 years of hard driving many different cars. The first was on my old 240Z! That was a botched rebuild on the car before I bought it, and it died within a week.

Two tranis in 30 years, both from the same company; the only two I've owned from this company. Coincidence? I've owned an MGB, 2 V6 Alfa Romeos, several Toyota, Ford and GM trucks (all but one 4x4 or AWD) and a Ford SHO. I'm closing in on a million miles of driving by now (averaging over 30k miles/year for 31 years of driving), so these trani failures really stand out.

I discovered this interesting tid bit in my transmission rebuilding project. I bought another tranny, and when I took the adjusting shims out of them both, and measured with a micrometer, they were the EXACT SAME! For something that requires a new size for every .0015" difference, theres no way they were exactly the same. I am convinced this is why the bearings failed.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:09 AM

The vibration isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Like many mods on my car, at first they were rough but then settled in. I only noticed a bit of roughness at idle, and I adjusted the idle about 150 rpm and now the car is smooth again.
i dunno, I couldnt tolerate the harshness. It was bangin and vibratin! But- if I ever get my car back together with its Y pipe, I'll find out how my home made mounts work. I urethaned all 4, and they are installed on the car right now. Of course, I will post the results of having all 4 mounted.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:03 AM

the flex section on my stock pipe has frayed, im on my 3rd tranny and i got that stuff and made my motor and tranny mounts too. looks like eric and i are in the same boat. if anyone has an FSM could you get me the part number for the copper dustcap that sits on the halfshalft yoke that goes into the diff on the drivers side for a VLSD tranny ? Infinity cant get the part number to work. if you can help let me know, this is my last chance before i pull the tranny a 4th time for a rebuild. -pete
Old 03-29-2002, 05:59 AM

Is the main weakness of the Gen 4 maxima tranny the bearings, or are there other parts?? My bearings went and I replaced the tranny 125 K miles. My original clutch was still good and the synchros were fine.

I remmeber Eric Wong mentioned cryo treating the replaced tranny before installing to help it last longer. Wouldn't it make sense, then to concentrate on the weakest link (Goodbye!), and cryo treat the bearings?
Of course you can go the whole hog and cryo the entire tranny too for even more durability, just wondering.

DW
Old 03-29-2002, 08:54 AM

Nissan conspiracy?

Hmm, maybe since they don't sell us mods over here, this is Nissan's way of getting our aftermarket money ...
Old 03-29-2002, 09:07 AM

Re: Re: We have "unusual" trannies on our early 4th gens

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Sounds like your 1st gear synchro is weakening. Even though you can't reverse the wear on it, you may be able to prolong it's life by using Redline MT-90 if you don't have it already. MT-90 feels very synchro friendly. When I switched to MT-90 I could put it in 1st from even 10 mph! It's some slippery stuff.
DW
Yeah, I've been kicking around the idea of replacing the transmission fluid with Redline... I was waiting for the current oil to reach the replacement point, but now I think it's high time I switched. Thanks for nudging me! Any recommendations for on-line places to get Redline at a good price?
Old 03-29-2002, 10:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: We have "unusual" trannies on our early 4th gens

Originally posted by Gary95

Yeah, I've been kicking around the idea of replacing the transmission fluid with Redline... I was waiting for the current oil to reach the replacement point, but now I think it's high time I switched. Thanks for nudging me! Any recommendations for on-line places to get Redline at a good price?

www.summitracing.com has pretty darn good prices...like 7 bucks a quart (that's cheap...a speed shop by me charges 14 a quart).
Old 04-20-2002, 08:05 AM

I was just diagnosed with a leaking seal, but thankfully it's under powertrain warranty. I know this isn't the best fix, but even after talking with a GREAT service manager (John Blankenbaker) at Courtesy it's very hard to convince them of the incorrect shims->bad bearings. I posted another thread, but I guess sometime in the future I will probably be having problems again :/
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=113901
-hype
Old 04-20-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
I was just diagnosed with a leaking seal, but thankfully it's under powertrain warranty. I know this isn't the best fix, but even after talking with a GREAT service manager (John Blankenbaker) at Courtesy it's very hard to convince them of the incorrect shims->bad bearings. I posted another thread, but I guess sometime in the future I will probably be having problems again :/
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=113901
-hype

Sure its easy to prove. If you got play in your axles/shaft(s) thats one huge indicator as there should be zero play. Another is to get your tranny fluid examined by a lab such as blackstone. I didnt try this but even running a magnet thru may be able to pick up enough metal shard in the oil to show theres something wearing inside (there is a cleaner magnet inside the tranny already). I'm still contemplating whether or not doing yet a 3rd transmission job to pull the Quaife differential out, since I'm about to sell the car.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:23 AM
mtman74

Re: Re: So how many here have or suspect 5 speed transmission problems on 4th gen?

I had the nefarious failed differential bearings. When the diff went out, it took a driveshaft with it. The brand new transmission, now with 13,000 miles, is rougher shifting than the old one ever was, even though I'm using Redline now.
You promote AMSOIL, but you use Redline in your tranny? In your opinion, is Redline better gear oil?

I am currently using AMSOIL, but I am starting to hear a first gear whine and my driver side axle seal is just barely seeping oil on my '96 I30t with 89K miles.

Any other manual I30's out there with suspect bearings?

Old 05-05-2002, 10:44 PM

You can add me to the bearings list!
Old 05-06-2002, 06:05 AM

Re: Just to add........

I rememeber when the 2000 Max came out. The brochure said that the 5 speed had strnonger gears?? I kept on asking myself, "what was wrong with the 4th gen 5 speeds??" Now I know, I've replced my 5 speed at 120K miles with a used 99 with 50K miles. My bearings were shot, plus the ratchet sound with the clutch etc. The tranny never actually died, just got incredibly noisy. And the stock clutch was still good, too.

I don't think anyone has put a 2K+ 5 speed Max tranny in a 4th gen. I looked as well. Couldn't find any

Since the weakness of our tranny is simply the bearings, you might consider cryo treating those parts. Also make sure everything is shimmed correctly. Look at Eric D Wong's posts about that. Very informative.

DW

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
My tranny is making some unwelcomed noises lately. I noticed the other night while driving under an underpass on the highway at about 80 mph with my windows down that there was a noticeable whine. I believe that my transmissions bearings are shot. And its because of a ****ty rebuild that I was subjected too. My Max is a little herky, jerky at lower speeds (especially in 1st gear) and makes a whining noise. I'm considering getting a new transmission, or at least a very lightly used one from a 99 Maxima. Does anyone know if the 5th gen tranny will work, and if so did Nissan make any improvements to the 5th gen tranny? (stronger synchros, or something?)
Old 09-13-2003, 02:39 AM

my bearings are shot as well, from what i can gather from this post...approximate price on a manual transmission????
Old 09-13-2003, 08:39 AM

I can't get my drain plug out or that sensor to replace my tranny oil but no problems, cross fingres and knock on wood.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:06 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally Posted by rguida
my bearings are shot as well, from what i can gather from this post...approximate price on a manual transmission????

About a grand if you go thru the dealer.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Sports Button FTW

my car makes noises, but doenst seem to be my tranny. Also i never launched past 2k before....only problem i have right now wit my tranny/clutch is that i cant chirp second vs when i had act clutch on my first maxima (running stocl clutch now) and i can wiggle my dam stick in gears and in neutral a little more than i could on my converted maxima with a tranny having 47,000 miles. I'm so mad that i couldnt keep that tranny . Stupid insurance company. I heard replacing some spring would make the wiggle much much less?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:48 AM

oh snap where do i start lol lets see for one my tranny was leaking, then my clutch went out. So i did both of those at the same time. Changed to a ACT clutch kit, a few days later i snapped 3rd gear. So back to the tranny shop, had that replaced. Now lets see for one my shifter isnt working as well as it was. My tranny yet again is leaking, which i think is due to a broken axle seal. My tranny locked up due to no oil in that *****, which i hope will unlock when i get everything fixed. I have been having the worst luck with my damn cars.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:43 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

ok..

i'm having some issues with mine.. that have been going on for a little while.

first of all the car is jerky and the clutch bites down quick or just bogs out.. the pedal is stiff, shifter is hard to move.. i just had my T/O bearing, clutch disc and pressure plate and rear main seal replaced.. fluid changed... it was ok for a little while then went back to how it was.. so basically i didn't really need to change my clutch..
I'm suspecting some other part of the clutch system like one of the cylinders, master or slave...

Now,
there is a cricket/chik-chik-chik-chik-chik sounding noise that is present when i'm giving the car gas right after engaging into gear and fully getting off the clutch.. it can get quite loud too.. typically this is heard in 2nd and 3rd gears. I can't really say anything about whine.. it's relatively quiet with exceptions of this crap.

anyone have any idea what this is? it's really nasty sounding and scares me.. i've driven this way for a while too..
Old 09-14-2003, 09:41 AM

My tranny whines in first gear. What does that mean?
Old 09-14-2003, 02:27 PM

You guys realize this thread started back in 2001 right?

Quick Reply: So how many here have or suspect 5 speed transmission problems on 4th gen?