General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Accident :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 AM

Accident :(

So I got hit by a Tundra this morning, I was in the turning lane and he wanted to get in to it but he didn't checked his blind spot and hit my fender/front bumper.

We did not call the cops because that would take at least 2 hours for them to come, so all I got was his insurance policy number and his agent's info.

I called the insurance and told them everything, is there anything else I needed to do that I missed?

Also do you guys think I should take it to a shop to get it fixed or should I take a check for the money?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 AM

dude you should have called the cops.. ALWAYS call the cops...

its a lesson i learned..... dont matter how long they take to get there, just call them thats the best way to have everything straight and on paper so it wont be your word vs his.

hopefully dude admits to fault so u wont have a back and forth hersay
Old 09-06-2007, 08:38 AM

Oh damn, but I hope he won't lie, he was an elder man.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Yeah, these people who drive trucks need to ALWAYS check their blind spot. That is how my Chevy Prizm was totaled. >=(
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 AM

So is it better to take the check and not have a shop fix it?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 AM

IMO it depends on how bad the damage is..if you can still drive the car safely and don't mind looking at some dents and scratches..go ahead..if you're really worried about the appearance of your car..fix it..
Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Divewjason
Yeah, these people who drive trucks need to ALWAYS check their blind spot. That is how my Chevy Prizm was totaled. >=(

Everyone needs to check their blind spot, I always do. Now it's like second nature to me, it's saved me more than once.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by bwinter7
Everyone needs to check their blind spot, I always do. Now it's like second nature to me, it's saved me more than once.
Yeah same here, I almost collided my Maxima with a brand new M45, if it weren't for me checking my blind spot....I would of been sorry.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned

First and foremost, as was mentioned before, ALWAYS get a police report. That guy might decide to change his mind AND his story later on. A police report is set in stone and is taken as "gold" by the court of law and insurance policy providers.

That being said, you need to call HIS insurance company, get the story straight, and have their adjuster come to view the damage asap. I wouldnt even bother contacting your insurance company, their is no point, the less they know the better.

In the meanwhile (before the adjuster), you can browse difference bodyshops to get a good feel of the average cost of repair. HIS insurance company will give you a list of "certified" or "preferred" bodyshops that work with the insurance co.

The best thing to do after you have a good idea of the cost of repair is to get your adjustment check, go to the best and cheapest bodyshop that is unaffiliated with that guys's insurance provider, and get the damage repaired and keep the change. DO NOT tell the shop that insurance is paying. Tell them it is coming out of your own pocket. Shops tend to overcharge people that go through insurance.

GL!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Dude Please always get a police report, people will lie through there A** to swear you hit them instead, Good Lick with everthing, and make sure they use OEM parts only being as though his insurance company has to pay for it!!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM

police report is the best in case like that .. my friend got ripped off like that once ... the guy dindt pick up his phone. dint open his door .. it took him forever to get his money back
Old 09-07-2007, 06:24 PM

just to re-emphasize it. You should have gotten a police report. Most to all insurances wont file a claim without a police report. Any one could call and say they got into an accident, give me money to fix my car.

that old man can easily flake on you and you will have no leg to stand on.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you want to get insurance claims, you need the police report. the insurance cant do a damn thing without that, no matter how truthful the story is. call the guy up and tell him to meet you at the police station so you can file a report. if he dont pick up, then your screwed.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DomoMaxima98
dude you should have called the cops.. ALWAYS call the cops...
You need to add 2 things.
1. always carry a CAMERA (either portable or your cell). ALWAYS 3x.
2. look around if there is any witness.

sometimes police is an A** too. I happened to me though. I got an accident with white dude. we called police and we got interrogation from police (one by one. the first time his and then me). after we waited like 15 minutes to get police report number, they told me i have to get my police report at precinct. it needs two day or 48 hours to get the police report (i guess that's only new york law).

after two days, i went to the precinct to pick up the report. i looked at the desciptions. it says it was my foul but thanks god i have the witness number and pictures from my cellphone. i called my lawyer. he says "don't worry we can win the case. 'cause we have evidences and witnesses"

after couple month, i got phone call from my lawyer. he said i have won the case. the insurance paid my sick day (my lawyer tells to pretend to get injured), and my car

i don't why the police on the white dude side (maybe i was a ***** and my accent )